PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed...?

Tornek the Unhygenic
2007-01-02, 05:41 PM
Has anyone else noticed that in Pirates of the Caribean 2
[spoiler]Davy Jones looks like a mind flayer?[spoiler]

Lucky
2007-01-02, 08:24 PM
Or do Mind Flayers look like Davy Jones? Will we ever know?

Dragonrider
2007-01-02, 08:31 PM
Well, now I have and I won't be able to get it out of my mind next time I see the movie! Haha

Om
2007-01-02, 08:36 PM
Or do Mind Flayers look like Davy Jones? Will we ever know?
Unless... this calls for a fantastic voyage to the bottom of the sea! We'll collect a group of eccentric characters, including an adorable little dog who saves the day more than once, and learn valuable life lessons along the way.

nifty>>virago<<
2007-01-02, 08:37 PM
what I want to know about is why the monkey is still undead!! also why did "bootstrap" bill have to even make a deal with Jones? wouldn't he of been undead at the time? because they say they needed his blood and he sent a coin to his son... so all he should've had to do was untie the cannon around his legs.... also they could breathe under water because that's how the guys snuck up on norrington's boat... so why did he have to make a deal with jones?? the only thing I can think of is that he didn't yet know of the curse...but wouldn't you notice that you could breathe underwater??

Amotis
2007-01-02, 08:38 PM
Unless... this calls for a fantastic voyage to the bottom of the sea! We'll collect a group of eccentric characters, including an adorable little dog who saves the day more than once, and learn valuable life lessons along the way.

Like "who the hell thought of this stupid jouney?"

Lucky
2007-01-02, 09:03 PM
Or "how long until we shoot that annoying mutt out of the torpedo tube?"

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-01-02, 09:22 PM
what I want to know about is why the monkey is still undead!! also why did "bootstrap" bill have to even make a deal with Jones? wouldn't he of been undead at the time? because they say they needed his blood and he sent a coin to his son... so all he should've had to do was untie the cannon around his legs.... also they could breathe under water because that's how the guys snuck up on norrington's boat... so why did he have to make a deal with jones?? the only thing I can think of is that he didn't yet know of the curse...but wouldn't you notice that you could breathe underwater??

Would Bill not be affected since he never spent the money? Yet was part of the curse since he was on the crew?

Ah, well, but yes, he is mind flayerish.

Lucky
2007-01-02, 09:27 PM
Would Bill not be affected since he never spent the money? Yet was part of the curse since he was on the crew?
Bill wasn't affected since he wasn't there when they found the gold. He was drowned during the search, but never made it to the end. Same reason Jack wasn't affected.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-01-02, 09:46 PM
I got the impression that Bill was affected, but tied to a cannon (both films pretty much state that he was affected) therfore unable to swim to the surface and the pressure couldn't kill him but was painful so he made a bargin with Jones

As for the monkey after the credits for the first film you see the monkey swimming back to the chest and taking out a coin, thus starting a new curse so that he is free to attack/harass Jack and Co.

bosssmiley
2007-01-02, 09:56 PM
what I want to know about is why the monkey is still undead!!

Ffwd to the end of the credits on the DVD of the 1st PotC movie. All will be revealed. :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-02, 10:55 PM
Also, Jones isn't a mindflayer look-alike, he's got an octupus for a head, like some of them have clams or sharks or whatever.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-01-02, 11:45 PM
Bill himself states in his conversation with Jack that, once he was shot off by the cannon and sank to the bottom, he was unable to move, but unable to die. So he took the third route. Which just happened to involve being turned into seaweed.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-03, 02:21 AM
[spoiler]Davy Jones looks like a mind flayer?[spoiler]

First thing I ever noticed about Davey Jones from the previews. :smallbiggrin:

Om
2007-01-03, 06:53 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the importance of family values, being yourself, good friends and personal hygiene.

Or "how long until we shoot that annoying mutt out of the torpedo tube?"Hmmm you can be the sarcastic vagabond with a secret past who slowly comes to respect the rest of the crew through shared experiences and peril.

Amotis
2007-01-03, 12:57 PM
Hmmm you can be the sarcastic vagabond with a secret past who slowly comes to respect the rest of the crew through shared experiences and peril.

Haha! You're a cliche!

Lucky
2007-01-03, 02:55 PM
Haha! You're a cliche!Damn... Not again...

Jibar
2007-01-03, 03:04 PM
Can I be the whiny annoying kid who turns out has severe psycological problems and ends up killing everyone?
Or am I thinking of some other kind of movie?

First time I heard they were making Pirates of the Carribean 2 was when I saw these big cardboard people thingies for each of the characters. First one I saw was Davy Jones, and I thought it was a poster for a new Lovecraft film.

Om
2007-01-03, 04:55 PM
Haha! You're a cliche!
That's me, a walking, talking, singing, dancing cliché.

Can I be the whiny annoying kid who turns out has severe psycological problems and ends up killing everyone?
How about the cute blond kid that is completely useless in almost every way and yet ends up saving the group at least once through an implausible series of accidents?

CabbageTheif
2007-01-03, 05:23 PM
thats supposed to be me!!!^

fine... i'll settle for the goofy person with annoying habits who is forced to become a leader at some point during the adventure, and wins the respect of my peers for it. then when the real protagonist shows up again (perhaps i rescued him?) i revert back to the goofy character for the sake of comic releif.

but to answer all confusion about the movies: the monkey is undead because it snuck back in and stole a coin again. that was after the credits of the first movie. bootstrap was cursed. Pintel: "i dina sit roight wi' bootstraps wot we did tu th' cap'n, th' mutiney an' all. said we deserved t' be cursed. so barbosa strapped botstraps bootstraps t' a cannon and sent 'im down to davey jones' locker. it was only after that we realized we needed 'is blood to lift th' curse"
"now thats wot yew call ironic"

he was cursed. and the pressur of the sea caused him to be unable to move. he was imobile, undead for all of eternity.... and would had died if he had waited the ten years for his son to lift the curse. but he didnt know his son would, didnt want william to be a pirate at all. so he decided to work for davey jones for a century.

Om
2007-01-03, 05:35 PM
fine... i'll settle for the goofy person with annoying habits who is forced to become a leader at some point during the adventure, and wins the respect of my peers for it. then when the real protagonist shows up again (perhaps i rescued him?) i revert back to the goofy character for the sake of comic releif.
Are you a dwarf? Only someone less than 5 foot can be proper comic relief. Unless you're Andre the Giant of course.

CabbageTheif
2007-01-03, 05:42 PM
kender, my friend. kenders are 3'6' to 4' at the tallest. so, yes.

hey, has anyone done an action/adventure version of not another teen movie. i mean, in the same style of that spoof?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-01-03, 06:01 PM
Well, if we're all goin' to the Depths, I call being the insane captain out for revenge against some massive supernatural entity of the briny abyss. Which of you is to the Ishmael to my Ahab?

Also, is it me, or does Barbosa have a much darker, fuller beard in Pirates...2 then in Pirates...1? (I'm too lazy to type it all out)

Also also, a short while ago somethign possessed me to watch Duck Dodgers. There was a scene which, though the episode had been made long before Pirates 2, (I have seen in before, long before the movie came out to theaters) which is almost exactly the scene on the Kraken rising up over the boat--except instead of Jack it was Daffy Duck in a crown, and instead of a boat it was a pile of gold and jewels, and instead of the Kraken it was a purple space alien that looked exactly like the Kraken.

Also also also, I talk too much.

Gargleblast
2007-01-03, 06:06 PM
hey, has anyone done an action/adventure version of not another teen movie. i mean, in the same style of that spoof?

I believe that would be Last Action Hero (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107362/)
Unfortunately, the marketing department thought it was a straight action flick. So anyone who thought they were going to see a "Arnold Action Move" were sadly disappointed.

Zephra
2007-01-06, 04:07 PM
As I watched the movie, I translated it into dnd terms. it was great!

Khantalas
2007-01-06, 04:18 PM
Davy Jones has too many tentacles to look anything like an illithid.

Nevrmore
2007-01-06, 05:11 PM
Can I be the giant imposing man who makes little children cry but really has a heart of gold until he sees somebody hurting his friends at which point he'll unleash hellfire and fury down upon them but then apologize profusely because apologizing for shattering someone's face always makes it all better?

Samiam303
2007-01-06, 05:56 PM
Davy Jones has too many tentacles to look anything like an illithid.
At a glance that looked like something really obscene.
:wink: