PDA

View Full Version : Joining a party, would like to hear your thoughts

danzibr
2013-10-16, 01:18 PM
First I should say we're using some unusual rules. All materials are go, free +1 LA (or more point-buy if declined), gestalt, feat every odd level. I'm joining at level 4. You can also qualify for a PrC as you enter.

Current party:
1) Anthropomorphic monkey Factotum 4//Wizard 4. Most optimized out of the bunch, plays smartly, uses the good wizard spells.
2) Elf Bloodline 1/Druid 3//Fighter 4. Going to go into Master of Many Forms. Plays more for the flavor.
3) Mineral Warrior Warforged (slight rules bending) Warblade 4//PF Soulknife 4. Very tough, whales on dudes.
4) Pixie 4//Cleric 4. Does lots of healing and uses a crossbow.
5) (rarely plays) Astral Deva 4//Cleric 4. Uses good Cleric spells, whales on dudes.

Then there's me. I'm the DM, actually, and either player 1 or 2 is going to swap off with me. So I'll be replacing sometimes 1 and sometimes 2. I'm a big Totemist fan, and my current build idea is something like

Warforged Ranger 1/Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Black Blood Cultist 8/??? x//Totemist 20.

For ACF's, City Brawler, Whirling Frenzy, Lion Totem.

The goal is to use Manticore Belt well (rules as a natural weapon), and later on be a grappler.

For feats, I was going to gimp myself with VoP (Sacred Vow & VoP rolled into one), but I decided to nix that. Taking Expanded Soulmeld Capacity and Cerulean Will at level 1, have 1 open. Jaws of Death is decent, but I'll be etting a bite from BBC. I suppose I could retrain it.
Level 3, PBS from Fighter, Shape Soulmeld (Sighting Gloves).
Level 4, Precise Shot from Fighter.
Level 5, INA (Manticore Belt).
Level 6, retrain Cerulean Will to Bonus Essentia.
Level 7, Second Slam.
Level 9, Double Chakra (Totem, of course).

And I haven't planned much else.

Thoughts? I'm also open to template suggestions (dare I go... Half-Minotaur? No, no, I can't...), or maaaaybe a race change, but for flavor reasons I'd like to stay Warforged.

I'm not looking for build suggestions for the current build, but perhaps if someone suggests something radically different (I want one side to be pure Totemist and the race to stay Warforged), I'd love to hear it!

Captnq
2013-10-16, 01:41 PM
You want a radical suggestion?
Okay, play a base class human. How about fighter?

Compared to a pixie cleric, warforged whale and Mojo Jojo, a human is as radically different as you can get. A fighter would stand out as well, especially if you never multi-class.

Red Fel
2013-10-16, 01:59 PM
Take a dip in Warblade. Take Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior feats. Use Combat Rhythm (from Stormguard Warrior) to put the pain on your opponents with your arsenal of natural weapons.

Take Combat Reflexes to increase your AoOs. Robilar's Gambit if you have a spare feat. Unload your natural weapons on anyone foolish enough to come at you. Or use Channel the Storm and make them suffer.

I'd also suggest using Girallon Arms, Dragon Tail, and Sphinx Claws soulmelds - that gives you four claw attacks, a tail attack, and full attack on a charge.

Then simply take full attack actions as often as possible, often coupled with a charge, often using your Stormguard Warrior tactics. For Warblade maneuvers, take anything that's a swift or immediate action, such as Counters and Boosts, since they can be used with a full attack action. In particular, the Diamond Mind saves will make you mostly unstoppable, particularly with your high Warforged constitution.

Is this the kind of advice you wanted?

Bloodgruve
2013-10-16, 01:59 PM
If you like Totemist you may want to run Binder along side. Two fun classes with access to a ton of utility, versatility and natural attacks. Then PRC into Midnight Occultist (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22) if homebrew is OK, the PRC melds the two classes wonderfully.

Or Factotum8/?X//Binder3/Totemist2/Midnight Occultist10/Binder5

Makes you quite MAD but your on the spot versatility will be unmatched, cept for maybe T1//T1. Not to mention all the extra standard actions you'll get with Font of Inspirations.

There are two Totemist Soulmelds that are often overlooked. Dragon Tail from Dragon Magic and Roc's Span from Dragon Magazine. Adds 3 natural attacks without chakra binds. 9 attacks at 1st level with Warforged w/Jaws of Death n the right soulmelds ;) Craven (http://dndtools.eu/feats/champions-of-ruin--27/craven--484/) could work in there somewhere too..

Another that I've always wanted to Gestalt is Archivist20//Duskblade20 w/Knowledge Devotion. Full channel Harm while being a smarty-pants.

GL
Blood~

Talya
2013-10-16, 02:02 PM
Joining a party, would like to hear your thoughts

If I were playing in the game, I'd suggest playing a class that can cast detect thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts.htm), then focusing it on my character, and you might hear my thoughts.

Since I'm not in that party, I can't help you.

SethoMarkus
2013-10-16, 02:07 PM
At "anthropomorphic monkey factotum" I instantly thought Sun Wukong and was hopefull to hear of one of the party members being a transforming/shapeshifting warrior.

I suggest building a powerful but logical warrior with an affinity for water, and completing the trio.

danzibr
2013-10-17, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the responses all.

Take a dip in Warblade. [...]

Is this the kind of advice you wanted?
Hmm yeah, that's great food for thought. It strays quite far from my desire to be primarily a Manticore Belt-user early on, but... I still like it. I'm not sure how I'm going to be shaping Dragon Tail, though.

If you like Totemist you may want to run Binder along side. [...]

GL
Blood~
Binder is one thing I hadn't considered (and one class I know next to nothing about). That might be a great, great idea. I'm not in it for a ton of power, but rather flinging spikes in people's faces and versatility... hmm, how good a grappler does a Binder make?

Also, I absolutely intend to shape Chaos Roc's Span, at least. Again, the problem with Dragon Tail is I have no Draconic business going on.

At "anthropomorphic monkey factotum" I instantly thought Sun Wukong and was hopefull to hear of one of the party members being a transforming/shapeshifting warrior.

I suggest building a powerful but logical warrior with an affinity for water, and completing the trio.
(googles Sun Wukong) Nice.

If I were playing in the game, I'd suggest playing a class that can cast detect thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts.htm), then focusing it on my character, and you might hear my thoughts.

Since I'm not in that party, I can't help you.
Haha... also nice.

EDIT: After reading some of this thread (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1102006), I think I'm going to scrap the left side and go Binder 20//Totemist 20 (well, actually, throw in Knight of the Sacred Seal or whatever, but essentially pure Binder). Midnight Occultist, while approved, seems a bit too potent.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-17, 09:40 AM
If you're only taking one Ranger level, use this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) to get Fast Movement. It doesn't stack with Barbarian fast movement, but you're trading that out for pounce anyway.

danzibr
2013-10-17, 09:47 AM
If you're only taking one Ranger level, use this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) to get Fast Movement. It doesn't stack with Barbarian fast movement, but you're trading that out for pounce anyway.
Thanks! I was actually perusing Ranger ACF's and somehow missed that. Appreciated.