PDA

View Full Version : Greater Doppelganger Question

TabletopGamer
2013-10-16, 01:23 PM
Ok so I looked up the monster because I was gonna do an idea for an NPC/Baddie in my latest game. But I noticed something. It has no LA
Also for Advancement to reads "By Character Class"

To me that reads 0 but that cannot be possible. Was this fixed with an update of that book or Errata? Official stuff not what they should be as according to players.

Forrestfire
2013-10-16, 02:22 PM
It has no LA, so it is not suitable for being a PC.

However, NPCs can have class levels to. The advancement line is saying that to make it stronger, you add those instead of extra hit dice of its type.

TabletopGamer
2013-10-16, 02:30 PM
True enough, just thought it was weird, because technically the Humans and Dwarfs and such don't say LA 0 either.

EDIT: By RAW wouldn't it still be that way, I mean the argument of the Humans and such having no designation of La also mean they are unplayable?

How powerful is the GD compared to its regular type?

Diarmuid
2013-10-16, 03:48 PM
The PHB is the primary source for things like playable races and classes and whatnot, so the MM not having a "LA:0" for the core races does not come into play for things like making characters.

TabletopGamer
2013-10-16, 03:50 PM
Arguing what I can forsee someone saying.

If it was to have a La what would it be? How much RHD and How much bloat?

herrhauptmann
2013-10-16, 04:54 PM
Arguing what I can forsee someone saying.

If it was to have a La what would it be? How much RHD and How much bloat?

Probably enough to make in almost unplayable.
Like a +6 or higher, in addition to RHD.

TabletopGamer
2013-10-16, 05:08 PM
Well given its persona ability that would have to be a sizable bloat because it can take the class abilities of the classes it eats.