PDA

View Full Version : Southern Comforts (IC)

AngryCyc
2013-10-16, 02:08 PM
OoC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309144).

Desert Bluffs is a beautiful city-state located along rolling hills nestled around a dammed river and a beautiful lake. The government is controlled by a monarchy, though for the most part the city-state functions very communally. The area is tied very closely with nature, and as such, a large majority of it's inhabitants have forsaken material goods and devote their lives to living in nature. Food is readily available and given freely to any who asks for it. But there are still many who like the advances of civilization, and they have their own areas for buildings and industry.

All in all, the different inhabitants get along quite well together.There is very little conflict between differing ideals among the citizens. That may be in large part due, however, to the great external threats Desert Bluffs must deal with. The environment is dry, but quite supportive of life. A Temperate Desert, known for long dry spells, but with plenty of rivers and subterranean water to keep life living. The nearest city-state of equivalent power is Saint Anthony, far to the west. They are nominally allied, and have steady trade routes between themselves. There would be more interconnection between the cities if it weren't for the patch of land running between them.

Known collectively as the Bad Lands, this are is roughly 2500 square miles of the most wild, savage part of the world. To the north, east, and south of Desert Bluffs, the world is fine. Explorers come back with tales of new societies and friendly animals, and small villages ready to make new allies. The west, stretching the whole 80 miles to Saint Anthony, and extending 30 miles north and south, are utterly unexplored. All who venture there never return, and tales from the borders hear of strange and horrifying monsters and of evil that seeps into the very ground.

There would be a direct road running through the Bad Lands to get to Saint Anthony if it weren't for the dangers there. Instead, all routes must take a long circle around the area, causing delays of many weeks.

This is the area that the King and Queen have asked you to explore, to conquer. The economy is failing. The basics of life are readily available for all the citizens, so there is not urgent rush, but a more direct trade route to Saint Anthony would be quite a boost for both Desert Bluffs and Saint Anthony. As such, a call went out for a great expedition. Applicants came from all over, some even from Saint Anthony itself, ready to brave their voyage into the Bad Lands and to slay any evil they find, to make safe and civilized the last region of chaos and horror.

One week ago, you were picked to be put in a team. You were given lodging for the week while preparations were made for your journey to begin. You met personally with the King many times, and were given carte blanche on your quest. Your main goal was to aid in economic prosperity for the region as a whole. There may be many untapped natural resources around... you were instructed that these should be documented and possibly secured. Also, remains and belongings of older explorers may be present... the Bad Lands have had quite a few expeditions before that probably met gruesome defeat somewhere, and that meant their equipment may just be laying among their bones for the taking.

With the limited market for magic items these days, such equipment is rare. You have been equipped with the best the monarchy could provide, and are given these investments with the belief that you will return 10-fold the amount spent on you.

Finally, though, the morning of your departure has come. You and your companions have spent the week getting to know and trust eachother, and a great celebration has been prepared for your departure.

You all march off, confident in your journey, watching your shadows shorten as the sun rises behind you as you trek west from mighty Desert Bluffs. After about 20 minutes, you no longer see the walls of the city, and are at the edges of civilization. From here you must cut your own paths through the world. You know that 80 miles to the west is Saint Anthony, and that anyway along that length 30 miles north or south is your territory.

Now the path is yours.

Wooh! Sorry if that's all a bit long.

Time and datewise, you're looking at fall in a year that is about equivalent with the Roman Empire rising in power. As far as advancement of society goes, anyway. Cities are gaining power, but there is still much of the world that is wild. Obviously you are exploring one of those wilder regions.

If you need to change names or anything for your backstory, go ahead. Paladins most likely came from Saint Anthony, as it is a heavily religious area, and also boasts a rather impressive military. Desert Bluffs is much more peaceful and relaxed, and typically has lots of druid-types around. You can come from anywhere you want though, and if you want to stick with cities you had named already, we can just say they are from further away and you traveled in to Desert Bluffs for the mission.

I'm going to recommend you guys appoint someone to be the main leader who decides where to go, since this game will focus on a lot of "We go this direction, we go that direction... we looks 1 mile that way..." and it'll be hard to keep up with 4 different opinions of where to go next. I've basically got the area divided into a grid so wherever you go will march you along the grid as you explore.

What I need now though is general indications of what way y'all wanna head. You've got basically straight west, north- or south-west, or straight north or south.

I'll kind of run things in 1-mile squares that you spend time exploring, should you want to explore in detail, or just basic descriptions of the surroundings if you want to just trek through quickly and get to somewhere else.

Otherwise, you could obviously just take marching speeds and be like "Alright we've covered the whole area in like a month, what now?"

So! Let's get going! Feel free to take some time role-playing it up and discussing with eachother. Maybe elect a leader or something...

Bilfrim
2013-10-16, 04:40 PM
Ok, anyone remembered to bring a map?
If any plan is as good as any I say we punch straight thru the 80 miles and get to Saint Antonhy. If there's anything interesting on the way we make a note or even stop to investigate.
Would be nice to find a source of water as well, make it easier to set up a road near water and maybe even an outpost.
But thats just me rambling, what do you guys think? Any tips on where to start our search Vaylen?
I'd say west, but I'd rather someone led us.

Picked a color to make it easier telling who's saying what.
The place we stand and the surroundings, what is it made of? Sand? Rock?Earth? Any animals around? Did we remember to bring rides, food, water, pen and papper, a compass and such? Can we get it now?

AngryCyc
2013-10-16, 05:03 PM
The terrain is sandy dirt, thorny plants scattered about in low undergrowth, and thick grasses and shrubbery. The landscape looks normal and fine, but is deathly quiet and still.

Feel free to have bought/gathered/received whatever you needed for the trip and have it now.

Deadline
2013-10-16, 05:59 PM
Rimefire

It had been a long trip from Ativia to Desert Bluffs, but Rimefire had arrived without much difficulty, and had presented himself and his papers to the rulers of the city-state. The people here were quite different, which was exciting for him, and he yearned to explore the city more.

But he had a duty to carry out.

He had briefly met his companions and introduced himself, but otherwise had remained quiet until they got out of town.
-------------------------------------------------

"I beg your pardon citizen, but I thought there were no maps of the area, because there have been no survivors of the expeditions that headed into the area." Rimefire tilts his head in confusion and thought. "If you are expecting trouble, then please allow me to walk in front." As he speaks, he puts up his defensive Invocations for the day. His eyes focus in and out and green flecks appear in the pools blue. Wings stretch and grow from his back, and he walks up to each party member, holds his hand over their heart, and intones the Draconic word for Protection.

Putting up See the Unseen and Draconic Flight for himself and Endure Exposure on everyone in the party.

Bilfrim
2013-10-16, 06:21 PM
Luthar noticing the changes.Wings huh? Interesting. Should I give you a bird name or do you have one of your own? Carefully looking at the whole group and then at Rimefire, Dan asks What are you really? I can't tell. If we're going to be the first group to make it in and out alive from this place I'd like to know a bit from all of you. And about that map, dont worry, I'm going to write down directions and landmarks as we go, so we can report back something usefull if nothing is found.

Carefully looking was Detect Evil, can't hurt to check the team before we go about kicking sand and butts.

Techwarrior
2013-10-16, 06:41 PM
Vaylen stood about 5' 8" currently, and wore a very generic mercenary garb. Drab, beaten tunic over mail, hidden weapons on her person, and a compound bow on her back. She wears no item or symbol of rank or affiliation. She has mid-length black hair, deep blue eyes, and a very rugged skin tone. Her body is lean, but not very toned.

"I know nothing of these parts. My familiarity is with the Bluffs, and even that is merely personal experience. I know of several taverns there that are more discreet than others, but that's about it. My area of expertise lies with people, and I have some small skill with a blade."

Vaylen thinks over it a long moment, her eyes flickering from the bright blue she normally used to a more pensive gray. It was a habit she'd never really tried to correct, although out here it might be worthwhile to try.

"I agree with you in the most part Sir, although I think we should try to make sure that we, shall we say, stray off the beaten path more than a little. We should know what the area around our path houses, and what we could do to curtail any problems should we deem this highway the crown plans to be an effective use of the kingdom's resources. Otherwise, my only real tips on our search is to look for places of establishment along the path. We are going to uncharted territory, so we should try and remain as unnoticed as possible."

Bilfrim
2013-10-16, 08:05 PM
Just a brief description as I didn't do one before:

Dan Luthar, proud human and paladin of Raziel. Six feet tall, 190 lbs, dark brown eyes and long black hair, trimed on the sides. Shaved beard now and wearing an Explorer's outfit, wich is a pair of good boots, light white clothes, a brown hat that looks as old as the owner and a small white cape with Raziel's symbol on it. You see a back pack on his back, a belt on his waist, a morningstar by it and a shield on the other side.
You also see a sturdy and reliable mule packed with all sorts of itens that may or may not be useful on the trip. Dan offers: If any of you need to lighten your load just ask and we'll make room for it on the saddlepack.

Deadline
2013-10-16, 11:41 PM
Luthar noticing the changes.Wings huh? Interesting. Should I give you a bird name or do you have one of your own? Carefully looking at the whole group and then at Rimefire, Dan asks What are you really? I can't tell. If we're going to be the first group to make it in and out alive from this place I'd like to know a bit from all of you. And about that map, dont worry, I'm going to write down directions and landmarks as we go, so we can report back something usefull if nothing is found.

Carefully looking was Detect Evil, can't hurt to check the team before we go about kicking sand and butts.

Rimefire blinks in surprise, "My apologies citizen, I am Rimefire, of the Ativian city watch. I am a warforged, created by the Watchmaker's Guild for the war between city-states of Ativia and Trem, though they have been at peace for decades now. It is my purpose to protect and serve the citizenry. I am told that it is now my task to protect and serve the members of this expedition." He pauses for a moment and extends his hand to shake yours. It is a gesture that is clearly unfamiliar to him. "It is a pleasure to be working with you, citizen Luthar."

No Evil here, he's Lawful Good. :smallbiggrin:

Bilfrim
2013-10-17, 07:27 AM
With a smile Luthar shakes the hand of Rimefire: Well Rimefire, protecting citizens and the upholding good is something I understand as well, even if I don't know what's a warforged. Welcome to the expedition.
Looking far into the desert ahead he asks: So wich direction do you believe is the best start?

Deadline
2013-10-17, 04:57 PM
With a smile Luthar shakes the hand of Rimefire: Well Rimefire, protecting citizens and the upholding good is something I understand as well, even if I don't know what's a warforged. Welcome to the expedition.
Looking far into the desert ahead he asks: So wich direction do you believe is the best start?

Rimefire seems surprise at Luthar asking his opinion. He pauses to consider thoughtfully before responding, rather unhelpfully, "I am accustomed to following the most direct course of action. The most direct route between Desert Bluffs and Saint Anthony is where I would begin." He pauses for a moment and looks uncertainly between his traveling companions, "That is, assuming you agree, Citizens?"

After a moment, he asks Luthar, "Citizen Luthar, do you have experience with the city watch in your home city-state? I would be interested to learn how your people keep the peace."

Bilfrim
2013-10-17, 09:45 PM
Experience with the city watch...Luthar repeated slowly as he remembered his distant past. I could say that and it would be true, but it would also be far for the whole thing. Adjusting his brown hat he looks back to the east and the sun and says: Short story is that I kept watch on an outpost high into the mountains that border my homeland, Angland, and fought barbarian tribes for years until the engineers finished the road to the other side. He pauses for a bit, expecting interest on his story to grow a bit, and then continues: Maybe on some other time I get to tell you the whole story and how I became a paladin of Raziel, but maybe we should get going now. Sun is going up and we should do some exploring before the night comes. Setting up a camp in the dark is something I want to avoid as I think this place has far worse things than barbarians.

Techwarrior
2013-10-17, 10:26 PM
Vaylen chuckles softly, almost musically. "Indeed, tis the more 'civilized' folk we should all fear. I believe we all do agree we should make some tracks at the moment. Perhaps we should make them now."

RFLS
2013-10-18, 09:59 AM
Adelard

A distant shape slowly approaches from the direction you came from; as it draws nearer, you can see his size, or lack thereof. A halfling, mounted atop a boar and armed with a bow, comes near the group. As he approaches, you can see that he is disheveled, yet handsome. His blonde haire is tousled atop his head, and his grey eyes twinkle as he greets you.

"Greetings! I am Adelard. I apologize for my tardiness; I was delayed by a lady I met last night. Apparently, she'd "heard that line before" when I told her I simply had to leave on an urgent quest for the kingdom."

Bilfrim
2013-10-18, 03:10 PM
Luthar welcomes the halfling: Ah yes the ladies, the best reason and excuse for a man to be late for anything. No harm done.

While evaluating the whole group on his mind Luthar says:I guess that's the fourth and last member of our little group. Welcome Adelard, that is an interesting ride you have there. We were just discussing a plan and wich direction to take first. Any ideas? Or should we just go west as we search and discuss?

Techwarrior
2013-10-18, 05:22 PM
Vaylen appears interested in the halfling and his beast upon his entrance, but upon hearing his story, loses any and all such interest. Her face is calm and she makes no comment. Poor woman. Taken in by some adventurous fool's boasts for a nights company.

Deadline
2013-10-18, 11:55 PM
Rimefire nods to the newcomer, and this time he hesitantly introduces himself, "Citizen Adelard, I am Rimefire, of the Ativian city watch. It is a pleasure to be working with you." He holds out his hand to Adelard in what he hopes is a friendly manner.

"There have been two courses of action proposed, forge directly to Saint Anthony, or deviate slightly from that path, so as to avoid any unwanted attention. Also, if I may, I need to place a protective magic on you."

Rimefire holds his hand out over Adelard's heart, and invokes the Draconic word for protection.

Casting Endure Exposure on Adelard.

RFLS
2013-10-22, 10:30 AM
Adelard

"I suggest we take the road less traveled by. It might even be interesting, hm?"

Techwarrior
2013-10-22, 11:09 AM
"I believe that leads us to an agreement Adelard. By my count that is two votes for the 'path less traveled' and two for forging straight there. Either way we need to get a better idea of what exactly is there to deviate from. So, I propose we head to the Bad Lands, and find the nearest town en route to St. Anthony.

Deadline
2013-10-22, 01:01 PM
Rimefire nods in deference, "If that is the course of action you direct, citizens, then please allow me to take point." Assuming there are no objections, Rimefire walks ahead, alert for danger.

Bilfrim
2013-10-22, 08:15 PM
Luthar agrees and says: Ok, so Rimefire is up front, I'll take donkey here and go in the back. Adelard, cover the south side and Vaylen the north. Standard 4 man cross formation.
We walk south and west at walking speed, exploring the way but not stopping unless its something really odd or interesting.

Something interesting would be a dungeon, a source of water, treasure left unchecked, interesting dead bodies, etc.
Btw, I think our walking distance is 8 miles a day, but can someone check it?
Im taking the lead if no one objects to it, ok?

AngryCyc
2013-10-24, 12:38 AM
The party heads off, ready to face the adventure of the day. It's slow walking, as the ground is a bit uneven with rolling hills and bluffs making up the major land features. Impairing movement further are the native plants. Nearly everything appears to have stickers or thorns on it somewhere. Even the thin, wispy trees have long narrow barbs lining the branches. Patches of thick-leafed bushes covered in spines also block many obvious-appearing routes.

Some purple fruit is growing off these plants.
You can gather some of these fruits if you wish, but know you will get some spines in your hands in the process, even if tools are used.
1d3 damage, and make a fort save
You can gather the fruit without any difficulty

Attempting to gather fruit without making the check yields no fruit gathered and 1d3 damage, plus make a fort save.

Finally, after much trekking and back-tracking to find clear, open paths to move through, you all clear the top of a hill and look down in the valley below to see a creek running through the area from north to south. The pungent smell of wild onions saturates the air around you.

I know you guys said you were interested in water sources so I'll leave a stop here for any sort of interactions you might wanna make here. If nothing, I can keep marching you in this direction though.

RFLS
2013-10-24, 08:26 AM
Adelard

Adelard slowly leads Tusker down to the water, letting the boar drink a while - it's the badlands, and who knows when they'd find water again? He also stoops to refill his waterskin.

Just in case you need a reactive spot roll: [roll0]

AngryCyc
2013-10-24, 10:13 AM
Drinking the water, it tastes bitter and a bit foul, but has no immediate negative effects.

Tusker appears content with the water and makes no reactions from its taste.

The water is Unholy water, and while tasting poorly, will only hurt good Outsiders. Drinking it will keep you alive just as regular or even holy water.

Holy balls, an entire CREEK of unholy water?! That's complete unheard of and would require a tremendous amount of unholy energy.

Bilfrim
2013-10-24, 08:11 PM
I examine the water and make sure to take notes on one of the papper sleets I brought.
Does the creek run north or south? How wide and deep is it? Any onions around or just the smell of it?
If no one else thinks they can gather the fruit without harm I'll try to gather some.
Some onions too, and put it all on a sack.

Rolling survival for purple fruit: [roll0]
The fort save: [roll1]
The d3 damage: [roll2]
The religion knowledge: [roll3]

Bilfrim
2013-10-24, 08:23 PM
Not noticing anything strange with the creek Dan suggest we continue our march along the creek as it is our best source of water for the time, and if someone lives on this wasteland, its probably by a water source.
Luthar says: Luck turns our way fellows, a creek, some fruit and onions and even a path to follow if you agree. I believe we should accept this gift and continue our march along its side until we have a better road.
Also I let the mule drink some of the water and rest for a bit while we investigate the surroundings and I gather some onions.

How many fruits and onions did I get? (in a food per person per day sense)

AngryCyc
2013-10-24, 09:31 PM
Observation of the creek reveals that it runs From north-northwest to south-southeast in this immediate area, but moving in either upstream or downstream direction reveals that the creek actually follows the ridgeline of the rolling hills you noticed you were in. Heading north leads to higher elevation overall, whereas to the south appears flatter. The creek is right along the divide between these two terrains, And snakes along for the couple hundred yards your able to see it curving around.

It takes very little effort to find wild onions growing along the side of the creek. It takes considerably more effort to get the purplish fruits off though. Dan thinks he has done a wonderful job of dislodging the fruits without getting any of the long spines in him, when as he handles the fruit itself he notices tiny, almost microscopic barbs in his fingers and palms. Still, the fruit is gathered.

Let's not even a little bit get into worrying about how many pounds of food will last how many days. I'm keeping rough track, and I will announce if it's ever like "Hey, you're almost out of food" or anything like that. In the meantime, feel free to gather any foodstuffs you find on your journey and we just won't even pay attention to it.

This isn't the Oregon Trail.

....Oh my god how have we not run an Oregon Trail game yet?!??! Hold on, I have to go post a new thread about this....

Deadline
2013-10-25, 01:23 AM
Rimefire

Rimefire, not noticing the fruit, nods to his companions. "While you gather supplies, I'll see if I can get a better look at our surroundings."

With that, he takes flight, wings extended as he does several circles over the nearby area, looking for anything dangerous, or of interest.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

See the Unseen is active, so he should be able to spot invisible things within 60ft. I think.

Bilfrim
2013-10-25, 02:56 PM
Dan asks Rimefire: So what is your report on this place, what did you see from up there?
And to everyone: It seems we're a bit tired from all the back and forth and rough terrain, so let us rest for an hour and then find a place to set up camp before the night.

Waiting for others to post and continuing the march when the dungeonmaster sees fit if no post.

Techwarrior
2013-10-27, 02:41 AM
"My good Sir, I for one am not too tired to continue. It's entirely possible that we may find some form of community along this river. Should we wish to camp here though, I'd like to get a better look around, see what I might find."

Vaylen seems unused to the outdoors, if only a little.

I'd much prefer to be able to sleep comfortably than on the ground.

AngryCyc
2013-10-27, 09:20 AM
Tried to give a reasonable amount of time for people to post, 3 days has been enough though. Expect that to be the typical for if you're in a spot that you could potentially be wanting to make a couple posts(i.e. those knowledge rolls and then discussing them in group) I'll have faster posts if it's just a matter of HEY LOOK A BIG TREE. NEAT. MOVING ON.

Flying up a good distance to see more, but still being low enough to make out details, you see that this small creek both starts and stops well within visual range. It meets no glorious end, and appears to just stop at a lower point in the terrain, whereas the beginning of it is just a few curves and hills up from the party's current location.

Far, far to the north you think you can make out some smoke rising in the air. To the west and north by just a bit you can see a glare and a speckle but nothing in more detail from this distance. Flying higher takes it out of your view and flying lower causes it to be blocked by the terrain.

To the south, you do notice that the undergrowth is particularly thicker here. There are many more of the barbed and spiney plants grown closer together than to the north. The south is flatter and lower and seems to be dropping ever slightly, while the further north you see is gradually higher in elevation, with as was already stated the mid-area between the two being a series of steep ridges running almost perfectly from east-to-west. This ridgeline continues as far as you can see, though you can make out in the western distance that it looks as though the ridgeline has several dips as valleys have formed at the formation.

It's a fault line. You're on a fault line.

It's still about early afternoon. The journey from town to the edges of the Bad Lands did not take very long, but trekking through the thick brush is proving to be difficult for the party as a whole, so that took several hours to get the distance you are all currently at.

If you'd like to continue marching, you still have plenty of daylight for that. If you'd like to take a rest here for a couple hours and then continue on later in the evening, you could make the trip at night if you have means of seeing in the dark.

Check to know the weather for next 24 hours.
It'll be clear the rest of the day, but some rain will come through in the early morning and might hang around for the first half of the day tomorrow.
It'll be clear and cool all day.
Still clear, still cool
BIG thunderstorms.

Bilfrim
2013-10-27, 09:37 AM
Failed miserably on Knowledge Religion check and waiting for Rimefire to report.

Luthar looks up to the sky, smells the air a bit, throws some dirt in the wind and wonders if its going to rain. Walking on steep terrain and in the rain will be hard, so south is probably the best bet, if there is a path.

survival check for weather: 1d20

Bilfrim
2013-10-27, 09:41 AM
survival roll hopefully typed correctly: [roll0]

Deadline
2013-10-27, 11:53 PM
Flying up a good distance to see more, but still being low enough to make out details, you see that this small creek both starts and stops well within visual range. It meets no glorious end, and appears to just stop at a lower point in the terrain, whereas the beginning of it is just a few curves and hills up from the party's current location.

Far, far to the north you think you can make out some smoke rising in the air. To the west and north by just a bit you can see a glare and a speckle but nothing in more detail from this distance. Flying higher takes it out of your view and flying lower causes it to be blocked by the terrain.

To the south, you do notice that the undergrowth is particularly thicker here. There are many more of the barbed and spiney plants grown closer together than to the north. The south is flatter and lower and seems to be dropping ever slightly, while the further north you see is gradually higher in elevation, with as was already stated the mid-area between the two being a series of steep ridges running almost perfectly from east-to-west. This ridgeline continues as far as you can see, though you can make out in the western distance that it looks as though the ridgeline has several dips as valleys have formed at the formation.

Rimefire lands gently and relays the information above to his companions. "Far north of here there is a column of smoke, that may indicate a settlement of some kind. I also saw something glinting in the sun to the northwest. The south has much more vegetation of this type," Rimefire waves his hand at the bush with the bizarre fruit, "but I did not notice anything else in that direction. Which way do you think we should go?"

When resting is mentioned, he chimes in "I do not require rest, and will watch over you. If you are ready to make camp, please allow me."

Yes, Rimefire is volunteering to strike camp, cook food, keep watch, etc. He's happy to do so. After all, it is his duty to serve the Citizenry. :smalltongue:

Check to know the weather for next 24 hours.
It'll be clear the rest of the day, but some rain will come through in the early morning and might hang around for the first half of the day tomorrow.
It'll be clear and cool all day.
Still clear, still cool
BIG thunderstorms.

Survival Check: [roll0]

After a quick glance at the sky, Rimefire adds, "It looks like it may rain tomorrow morning."

Techwarrior
2013-10-31, 10:43 AM
Hm... The woodsman, watchman, man of wood or steel... Interesting specimen. I've never really gotten into much discussion with these creations. Perhaps I shall look into this one.

"I'm glad you know something of the matter. I'm not one for the rugged camping life myself, and never really took to the craft. Perhaps I should have."

Vaylen brushes a bit of hair from her eyes.

"So, which way should we head? Or shall we make camp here? I'd prefer to not think about the rain tomorrow until tomorrow."

AngryCyc
2013-10-31, 11:32 AM
The party all seem to relax a bit much on the side of the creek. The minutes slowly tick off as they decide what to do and before too long, hours have passed.

As the shadows start to lengthen, someone notices that it is getting later in the evening already. There are only a few hours of daylight left.

If people delay too long in making actions, I'll just assume every stands around doing nothing.

Deadline
2013-10-31, 11:38 AM
Rimefire looks at the darkening sky and asks, "Can all of you see in the dark? If so, we should forge ahead, perhaps towards the smoke in the north. If not, I will begin setting up camp."

If no one makes a decision after a few minutes, Rimefire begins setting up camp for everyone.

Personally, I'd like to head north to inspect the smoke, or maybe northwest to inspect the glint. I'm still going with the idea that Rimefire is a follower, and that Luthar is effectively our decision maker. If you need me to jump in and be the decision maker, let me know. :smallsmile:

RFLS
2013-10-31, 11:40 AM
Adelard:

Well, we took our sweet time. Let's pitch camp, and in the morning, we'll head for that smoke. Everyone agreed?

Techwarrior
2013-10-31, 11:49 AM
"I would prefer to investigate this smoke now. Darkness is my most favoured defence."

Vaylen smiles a... slightly unnerving smile. She is poised, all lethality and down-to-business seriousness. The discomfort of a moment ago is now long gone.

RFLS
2013-10-31, 12:01 PM
Adelard:

"And it's not mine. If you want to go investigate, be my guest. I'll be approaching in the light of day, without sneaking about."

Bilfrim
2013-10-31, 02:45 PM
Trying to end the discussion Luthar says:We could investigate in the dark if we were there already Vaylen, BUT I dont believe we can walk there before sundown. Its best we spend the last few hours with sunlight walking towards the smoke and camp in a safe spot.
And about the sneaking remark: And as we touched the subject of sneaking about in the dark I'll say it right now: I dont care if you sneak around gathering intel or searching places, as long as that sneaking causes no harm on any good people. Just give me a heads up first if you can.

I believe everyone will agree with this plan. Let us know of anything interesting on the path, otherwise we'll set up camp at a safe spot 30 minutes before sundown. We set out with sunrise, Rimefire has first half of the watch and I get the other half. No fire will be lit on our camp this night. Please let me know if the plan is not alright

Deadline
2013-10-31, 02:54 PM
Relieved that a decision has apparently been made, Rimefire nods and follows along.

The plan sounds fine to me. The only correction I'd make is that Rimefire doesn't sleep, so he'll happily stand watch all evening.

Techwarrior
2013-11-02, 10:39 AM
Vaylen looks to ponder this for a moment, then agrees with an appropriate air of chastisement.

"Seems good to me. I'll make sure to give you the necessary forewarning should I feel the need for stealth."

With that, Vaylen pulls out her shortbow and follows the lead of Luthar.

AngryCyc
2013-11-03, 08:31 AM
Turning due north, the party marches on through the evening, climbing the rolling hills and working their way through the brush. After some hours of marching this way, the sun starts to get low in the sky...

You're on top of a hill that has a low, rolling valley under it followed by another hill just ahead of it. You could camp on the top of the hill, near the middle of it on the slope, or down in the valley. Where do you set up camp?

Techwarrior
2013-11-03, 01:54 PM
"How close to here would you say that column of smoke was Rimefire?"

Pondering the layout of the area, Vaylen fingers her compound bow nervously, scanning the area warily.

"Sirs, by your leave, I'd suggest that Rimefire and I scout the area while the two of you set up camp."

Deadline
2013-11-06, 03:08 PM
"How close to here would you say that column of smoke was Rimefire?"

Pondering the layout of the area, Vaylen fingers her compound bow nervously, scanning the area warily.

"Sirs, by your leave, I'd suggest that Rimefire and I scout the area while the two of you set up camp."

Rimefire responds, "It was quite distant, though we should be able to see it more clearly by now." At the suggestion of doing a bit more scouting, he adds, "It may be difficult to see against the darkening sky, but I will take a quick look."

Assuming there are no objections, he takes to the sky to try and spot the smoke again.

AngryCyc
2013-11-06, 04:43 PM
With the darkening sky and gathering clouds, you do not readily spot any smoke in view.

Deadline
2013-11-06, 05:11 PM
Shortly after taking off, Rimefire returns and confirms that it is indeed too dark to make anything out right now. "We should probably wait until morning to see if the smoke column is still there before continuing on, citizens."

After that, he will busy himself helping to set up camp. Once camp is set up, he posts himself on watch for the night, scanning the surrounding area at regular intervals with his magically enhanced sight.

Techwarrior
2013-11-09, 12:55 PM
"I'll examine the immediate area, should I find myself in need of assistance, you'll hear this-"

The Changeling pulls a bone whistle on a necklace from beneath her tunic.

"-three times in succession."

Vaylen nods once to Luthar and takes her leave of the rest of the group. She searches the immediate area for dangers, and reports back to camp.

Vaylen scouts out the area in a 100 ft radius of where they intend to make camp. Once out of sight, she removes her Psicrystal from her bag and wills it to motion, having it help her scan the area. She takes 10 on her Spot, Search, and Listen checks, while her Psicrystal uses the aid another action. Anything that looks odd will be Searched.

Spot 22
Listen 22
Search 24

AngryCyc
2013-11-09, 01:09 PM
I can't really proceed until y'all answer the question from before. On top of hill, on the hill, or in the valley? I don't know where you're searching because I don't know which area you want to make camp in...

And it's a large enough distance between the three areas that "Searching the place we might be camping" doesn't exactly cover all three.

So I just need "Top, middle, bottom" to at least know where you're trying to search or trying to set up. Basically, at what area did you stop and say "Yup, it's time to plan camp"

Deadline
2013-11-09, 04:10 PM
I can't really proceed until y'all answer the question from before. On top of hill, on the hill, or in the valley? I don't know where you're searching because I don't know which area you want to make camp in...

And it's a large enough distance between the three areas that "Searching the place we might be camping" doesn't exactly cover all three.

So I just need "Top, middle, bottom" to at least know where you're trying to search or trying to set up. Basically, at what area did you stop and say "Yup, it's time to plan camp"

Given that we are probably looking at rain in the morning, my vote would be to camp near the top of the hill.

RFLS
2013-11-10, 04:40 PM
Given that we are probably looking at rain in the morning, my vote would be to camp near the top of the hill.

Seconded and passed. We camp at the top of the hill.

AngryCyc
2013-11-11, 09:46 AM
Scouting the hill top reveals little. It is just another hill amongst hills. The brush and foliage is much lighter up on top and there are more clear areas than down in the valley below.

The terrain is surprisingly rocky, with large boulders jutting out of the firm-packed earth on top of the hill. One particularly large rock stands out tall, and appears to be much larger beneath the earth... it easily stands a full person above anyone in the party. There are also several areas where flat rock floors are exposed, with little to no dirt or plant across large areas of it...

Any of these places seem like you'd be able to make an adequate camp at.

Deadline
2013-11-12, 10:53 AM
Rimefire looks around at the various campsite options and suggests, "Perhaps we could use that large rock to shelter one side of our camp, Citizens?"

Assuming the others agree, he begins to set up camp.

RFLS
2013-11-12, 11:06 AM
Newtan agrees, and begins setting up camp.

AngryCyc
2013-11-15, 10:12 AM
A rough campsite is erected around the edge of this largest rock. Night comes upon the party.

RFLS
2013-11-15, 10:38 AM
The party sleeps. Then they wake up. What does the party see?

Deadline
2013-11-18, 11:29 AM
Rimefire

Rimefire takes watch all night, nervously watching their surroundings. Being unused to staying out in the wilderness like this, he is unsure of what kinds of threats the Citizens under his care might face. He keeps the fire stoked and burning all night long, and does his best to prepare a reasonable breakfast for the rest of the party come morning.

Techwarrior
2013-11-21, 03:41 PM
Vaylen stays up with Rimefire awhile before turning in for the night. After a while of silence, she speaks to the Warforged, not turning her eyes from the center of camp.

"Would you be amenable to telling me more about yourself Rimefire? I've heard the basics of the Watchmen, and of the forged, but I would enjoy knowing about yourself as an entity."

AngryCyc
2013-11-21, 03:57 PM
'Round about 3 in the morning, the winds shift direction. Where they had been blowing in from the south, suddenly they changed about-face and are now blowing directly north, towards where if it were light all would see mighty thunderheads.

Instead in the early hours of the morning, all that is seen are flashes of lighting illuminating the northern sky as the storm clouds grow closer at a frightening speed. One minute the first flash of lighting is seen on the horizon, and 15 minutes later all hail has broken loose.

The storm had no build-up... it was merely not raining one minute, and then pouring the next. Winds whipped around the hilltop at an alarming speed. Thankfully the large rock seemed to cut out some of the worst of the winds, but heavy rain and small hailstones pelted the small campsite.

For anyone up (Rimefire) a DC 20 Survival check to keep the fire tended too during the storm if you decide to stay out in it.

Additionally, if anyone (Rimefire) is out and exposed in the storm, make Perception checks.

Deadline
2013-11-21, 09:08 PM
Vaylen stays up with Rimefire awhile before turning in for the night. After a while of silence, she speaks to the Warforged, not turning her eyes from the center of camp.

"Would you be amenable to telling me more about yourself Rimefire? I've heard the basics of the Watchmen, and of the forged, but I would enjoy knowing about yourself as an entity."

Rimefire stares for a moment in confusion, and then responds, "I am an artificial construct created by the Watchmaker's guild for use in warfare against the enemies of the Citizenry. When the war ended, I was put into service as part of the City Watch. It was my duty to clear potential hazards to the Citizenry and keep the peace." Rimefire continues on for a bit in what appears to be a fairly stock answer before he pauses and looks up, "That isn't what you are asking, is it? I ... I will need some time to consider the question." He puzzles over how to answer the question in a more meaningful manner, and before long the storm whips up to snap him out of his reverie.

He desperately tries to keep the fire lit, even going so far as to re-ignite it with his fire breath several times, but it is an exercise in futility. He eventually gives up on keeping it lit, and instead continues to keep watch.

Survival: [roll0]

Listen: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]

AngryCyc
2013-11-25, 10:45 PM
Keeping watch by himself, Rimefire gets pounded furiously by the intense storm. Somewhere in the middle of it though, he hears a *TWANG* of a bow, but sees nothing in the blackness of the storm.

[roll0]
Nothing to see here, move along now...

Several bolts of lighting strike rather close to the camp, high on the hill next to one of the largest objects around. The thunderous roar associated with each makes it a frightful night for all.

Alright, anyone doing anything at all during this storm, or are you attempting to sleep through it?

Techwarrior
2013-12-09, 06:20 PM
"What in the name of all nine hells is going on?"

Vaylen growls as she hears the lightning strike, her military training jolting her awake. She darts her eyes around the camp, then asks for an update from Rimefire.

"What's going on?"

Deadline
2013-12-09, 07:09 PM
Rimefire

Hailstones ping loudly off of Rimefire's metal plating as he struggles in vain to shelter the fire pit, to no avail. When Vaylen asks for an update, Rimefire raises his voice over the din and does his best to convey the situation, "I'm afraid I've been terribly unsuccessful at keeping our campfire lit, Citizen Vaylen. This storm is quite fierce. I think I heard someone firing a bow, but I can't be sure. Are the other citizens ok?"

Techwarrior
2013-12-09, 08:00 PM
"They seemed to be; well, last I checked anyway."

Vaylen gets up from her bedroll and nudges the other two, checking to see that they're still breathing. She doesn't go for a full medical examination, just a precursory glance.

"They seem alright. They're breathing at least. I'm going to go see about this bow you mentioned. Hold the fort while I'm out."

She pauses, then adds as an aside before she leaves the camp.

"Rimefire. Please, call me Vaylen."

When she leaves camp, she calls on one of the talent's the Agents taught her. She focuses her ears on the area around her.

Vaylen manifests Control Sounds to grant herself a +4 bonus to Listen checks. She takes 10 on Listen, Hide, Move Silently, and Spot, scanning an area around the camp 100 ft in diameter, for results of 24, 18, 18, and 20 respectively. She is currently moving at a rate of 15 ft per round, using a Standard action to concentrate on her power.

Power Points: 13/16

AngryCyc
2013-12-11, 10:37 PM
Focusing as hard as possible, Vaylen gazes valiantly into the fierce storm and night skies, but all that can be made out is more rain and hail and lightning. Anything that may have been there before, Vaylen is quite sure is long gone, blown away in this blasted storm. Nothing is seen or heard that is taking any precedence over the storm.

Some precursory glances do reveal the valley below to be quite flooded as a series of quick streams is now cutting through it.

Techwarrior
2013-12-11, 11:20 PM
Vaylen looks to see if there is a clear path out of the area around this hill.

OOC
I don't know if that requires a roll, or what kind it is.