PDA

View Full Version : Why are spam posts still visible after they've been dealt with?

valadil
2013-10-16, 03:53 PM
Ok. I feel like a jerk posting a grievance here. This is my favorite forum and the moderators are what make it awesome.

It's been getting spammier here and I'm not satisfied with how it's dealt with. The spam gets locked or moved promptly, but it's still present. I see 11 spam posts on the front page of the gaming board right now.

Is there anything else that can be done to it so that once a post has been deemed spam, it's no longer displayed on the site?

I've been tempted to write a script to remove the posts from my own view, but I can't tell a way to distinguish them from legitimately moved posts. If they have to be kept around for some reason I haven't picked up on, could they at least be marked a little differently from the other moved posts?

Thanks!

Togath
2013-10-16, 03:57 PM
I've been wondering about why they've been sticking around as "moved" instead of just vanishing as well, so it's not just you.:smallsmile:

Rawhide
2013-10-16, 04:07 PM
There aren't supposed to be any moved markers, but it happens from time to time, especially now that we are inundated with them.

Spam threads are moved to a temporary spam dump for accounting/housekeeping purposes, before being cleaned out periodically. Markers for moved threads are left by default, but standard practice is not to leave a marker for spam threads. If a marker has been left, it's because the moderator forgot to change that option. Honestly, I don't blame them for forgetting. It's a long, tedious task to clean out the spam bots after an infestation.

Some threads from banned spambots still remain occasionally too, due to the lack of a search function making it hard to track them down. We still need to remove these as soon as possible, even if they have fallen off the first page, so please report them when you see them.