PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ways to improve ranged spell attack rolls

Red.Tide
2013-10-16, 05:05 PM
I'm playing a sorcerer who isn't going to rely on ray spells enough to make it worthwhile to take Point Blank Shot + Precise Shot, but who will be using them enough that the -4 to hit enemies engaged in melee is very annoying.

Is there any way to mitigate this penalty (either directly by reducing it or indirectly by giving a bonus to ranged attack rolls) without taking 2 feats? Taking only PBS or only Weapon Focus gives a pretty lackluster bonus for a feat, and True Strike is either time- or spell slot-intensive.

What options am I missing? In particular, are there any items that improve ranged attack rolls that work on spells, or items that lower the penalty for firing into melee? Pathfinder only, please.

Khantin
2013-10-16, 06:19 PM
You could alter self into a small sized humanoid for a +1 bonus from the dex and +1 from the size...

CombatOwl
2013-10-16, 06:36 PM
I'm playing a sorcerer who isn't going to rely on ray spells enough to make it worthwhile to take Point Blank Shot + Precise Shot, but who will be using them enough that the -4 to hit enemies engaged in melee is very annoying.

Is there any way to mitigate this penalty (either directly by reducing it or indirectly by giving a bonus to ranged attack rolls) without taking 2 feats? Taking only PBS or only Weapon Focus gives a pretty lackluster bonus for a feat, and True Strike is either time- or spell slot-intensive.

Improve your dex with items. Arrowmaster's Bracers let you get a +20 on the next ranged attack roll as a swift action 1/day. That's it for core items. You could try to talk the GM into letting you make something like the gloves of arrow snatching that grant precise shot rather than snatch arrows.