PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Of The Potions !!!

evyldead
2013-10-16, 05:57 PM
Hello well you can see i have a character lvl 4 cleric in need of a brew potion build i already have the feat so any ideas ?? :D
He likes to not move he is human short fat and lazy haha he loves to get people to tell the truth and is a bastard to be in combat with cuz he wont walk to heal he will throw potions at you and you gotta drink them lol he loves food too

any builds to make him better at brewing potions ?

rockdeworld
2013-10-16, 10:13 PM
The Master Alchemist class from Magic of Faerun, which allows you to brew potions of up to 9th level. Also check out this post. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1077406)

evyldead
2013-10-27, 11:01 PM
im not to worried about the exp costs only cuz my DM doesnt really mind it or what not what i want to know is that is there any class that specializes in brewing potions from the cleric base class i have the feat i am level 7 though i want to get a plan for this char before i just wing it. essentially i would like to use the books from PHB 3.5 DMG 3.5 MM 3.5 Complete warrior, divine, arcane, scoundrel, champion, mage or unearthed arcana those are the main books i can use

Kane0
2013-10-27, 11:11 PM
Complete Arcane and Divine might have some PrCs that you can reflavor to taste. Just fluff their abilities to be specially brewed potions that you quaff to activate.

Example Blood magus, and kind of shapeshifting PrC, etc.

evyldead
2013-10-27, 11:54 PM
but im divine , blood mangus is out of the question trust me ive been trying to find a build that works well with blood mangus ;/

Darrin
2013-10-28, 06:36 AM
Read the Gremma's Cauldron entry in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235923&postcount=6) for some ideas on optimizing potion brewing, although you'll have to come to some agreements with your DM on how the cauldron works.

Feint's End
2013-10-28, 07:39 AM
Alchemist Savant from Magic of Eberron? you just need your dm to handweave the special requirement or ask him to include those feats into your campaign. Then you would be able to quite literally throw spells at your allies.

Link here (http://dndtools.eu/classes/alchemist-savant/)
You can find the class in MoE page 53

edit: ah sry missed that you have limited books. I'd still ask my Dm to use Alchemist Savant and Master Alchemist. Both together make for amazing alchemist/potion builds

5 levels entry class (in your case cleric)
5 levels Alchemist savant
10 levels Master Alchemist

evyldead
2013-10-28, 11:08 AM
sounds like a plann i will bring the ideas up to him for this. if there is any items that would be good for this let me know :D

Feint's End
2013-10-28, 02:03 PM
sounds like a plann i will bring the ideas up to him for this. if there is any items that would be good for this let me know :D

the usual tricks to boost your alchemist check ;) ... other than that you can take pretty much what you want.
You can't go wrong with putting your favourite spells into potions or flasks (is that the correct term?) and go nuts.

Gnaeus
2013-10-28, 02:10 PM
Also, for some reason, Elixirs are classified as Wondrous Items (I guess because Brew Potion was supposed to suck and Craft Wondrous Items was supposed to be awesome, much the same as the reason so many blasty spells are in Conjuration not Evocation). Anyway, you should suggest to your DM that Brew Potions is the weakest craft feat, and that he should let you make the various Salves, Ointments and Elixirs as well. If not, you should also take Craft Wondrous Items (and see if you can homebrew higher level potion equivalents with it).

The other house rule we use to make it suck a little less is that we allow potions of personal spells to be made for specific individuals. I.e. you cant buy a potion of Alter Self, but a caster can make a potion of Alter Self specifically for Fighter McStabby using his blood as part of the item creation.