PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with a high strength score?

samuraijaques
2013-10-16, 09:06 PM
Hey folks,

I made a character in a recent game that has an extremely high strength score and I'm trying to figure out something to do with it other than hit things harder.

What would you do in a campaign where you had arbitrarily high strength?

Quiddle
2013-10-16, 09:32 PM
Combat maneuver locking people is always an option.

limejuicepowder
2013-10-16, 09:36 PM
Pick stuff up that's really really really heavy, I suppose. Turn rocks to dust with my pecs. Climb cliffs using my teeth. Compress matter to make miniature stars. Jump to adjacent planets.

Lockdown build would be quite effective :)

rockdeworld
2013-10-16, 09:43 PM
Terrible (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870138/The_Jumplomancer_-_are_you_serious) things. (http://community.wizards.com/comment/20881781#comment-20881781)

Check the X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) thread if you're short on ideas. Epic skills aren't terrible either. Hang a Decanter of Endless Water over your head with a stick, and you can fly with a DC80 swim check. Dungeoncrasher fighters can knock people around with high strength. Surround yourself with a sphere of Obdurium and pretend you're a giant unharmable marble until combat starts, and you burst out with a high enough strength check. Go into dungeon demolition and make a killing. The possibilities are endless.

Devronq
2013-10-16, 09:43 PM
Use weird things as weapons throw a building at someone or throw.monsters at monsters sounds pretty fun haha maybe bend bars/walls/whatever to trap people you could dig ditches fast and easy for traps. Dig holes/trenches to drain water away from areas. You could burst through walls for dramatic effect, wield bigger weapons. Lots of things maybe these don't all have rules but there thoughts

ahenobarbi
2013-10-16, 09:50 PM
Jump to adjacent planets.

This will work. But it will also consume tremendous amounts of time. Because you don't move any faster than usually when jumping.

Earm money by transporting cheaply large amount of goods. Destroy city walls, mountains, planets. Fly (i.e. jump horizontally for really large distaces).

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-16, 10:01 PM
Persuade the DM to allow you to use Str-mod for Perform(weapon drill) or some other Perform category, and earn money like it's going out of style. Arm-wrestling contests might also be fun.

Find a group of people/creatures that highly respect physical strength and become their idol/leader/best friend forever. Fog giants are my favorite target for this last one.

Mattock of the titans and maul of the titans are both nifty magic items from the DMG designed for very strong individuals. Enchant your punches to count as adamantine (I think that can be done) and destroy buildings with impunity.

samuraijaques
2013-10-17, 02:56 PM
@Quiddle
That is actually what the character is built around. :)

@Limjuicepowder
Those are great suggestions. How high of a jump check would that be?!

@Devronq
That is the kind of stuff I was thinking of but yeah, not much in the way of rules support

@Rockdeworld
Oh god, I have seen both of those builds, completely insane.

The decanter of endless water trick might be one of the funniest things I have ever heard. The image that brings up is beautiful. I'm totally going to do that.

@Ahenobarbi
transporting goods was something I hadn't thought of. Although it seems a little demeaning.

@Phelix-mu
Arm wrestling, brilliant. I had considered taking leadership and might makes right to do something similar to your second idea.

I'm not a huge fan of the mattock but the maul is great. Triple damage to objects is pretty brutal.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Some of these are really funny. Keep it up

ddude987
2013-10-17, 04:50 PM
bulldozing buildings for money. Climb waterfalls for show. Take a feat to use str for intimidate and scare people to death.

Shining Wrath
2013-10-17, 05:32 PM
With enough STR a weapon becomes a minor benefit, the difference between 1d3+YES and 2d6+YES isn't that high percentage wise.

You can carry anything.

You can unarmed attack an adamantine wall and break through.

Your grapple and bull rush numbers become very nice.

You can jump over anything, climb anything, swim with a building on your back, ...

Fax Celestis
2013-10-17, 05:37 PM
This will work. But it will also consume tremendous amounts of time. Because you don't move any faster than usually when jumping.

...unless you use Sudden Leap, in which case you cover the distance as a swift action.

TuggyNE
2013-10-17, 06:49 PM
...unless you use Sudden Leap, in which case you cover the distance as a swift action.

ToB is teh borkens!

Story
2013-10-17, 07:56 PM
Enchant your punches to count as adamantine (I think that can be done).

One way is to get at least two construct grafts.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-17, 08:05 PM

Cosmic Connection + Sudden Leap, to instantly jump a few hundred thousand light years.

Although I find it almost more hilarious to use Cosmic Connection with Insightful Strike. Nothing quite tops the "arbitrarily large" amount of damage. Combine with a discharge of Surge of Fortune to ensure a hit and you can guaranteed one shot kill anything that can die to HP damage.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-17, 08:23 PM
Also, that completely ridiculous build above with the +2500 str mod should take Might Makes Right and Leadership, for a Troy ridiculous number of followers.