View Full Version : Early Dragon Wildshape

M@XIM
2013-10-16, 09:54 PM
So I've got a level 5 druid who eventually plans to take the Dragon Wild shape feat at level 12.

Everything on the subject mentions level 12. What prevents druids from taking this feat sooner? Natural Spell wouldn't be overly necessary at level 6 if you're a dragon.

eggynack
2013-10-16, 10:05 PM
It has 15 ranks in knowledge (nature) as a prerequisite. Thus, level 12.

rockdeworld
2013-10-16, 11:34 PM
Alternatively, a druid with Natural Spell can get it at level 9 by wild shaping into an animal and casting Awaken on himself, then doing it again. Remove the excess HD with a thought bottle or high-fiving a wight and getting a cleric to cast Restoration on you to regain the lost exp as druid levels. Admittedly, this makes you a level 12 druid.

M@XIM
2013-10-19, 01:15 PM
Alternatively, a druid with Natural Spell can get it at level 9 by wild shaping into an animal and casting Awaken on himself, then doing it again. Remove the excess HD with a thought bottle or high-fiving a wight and getting a cleric to cast Restoration on you to regain the lost exp as druid levels. Admittedly, this makes you a level 12 druid.

Surely that doesn't work does it? I'd have to spend an entire session explaining how it works to even try lol.

Ruethgar
2013-10-19, 02:54 PM
Taking bloodline levels can reduce the XP and character level needed to reach the requisite 15 ranks so you can take it at 9th. But your already being level 5 puts a damper on that, much batter to delay 2nd level than 6th.

tyckspoon
2013-10-19, 06:02 PM
Surely that doesn't work does it? I'd have to spend an entire session explaining how it works to even try lol.

It doesn't, but only because you can't Awaken yourself; Wildshape doesn't change your Type, so you are not a valid target for Awakening. Same reason why you can't use Animal Growth as a self-buff.

eggynack
2013-10-19, 06:09 PM
It doesn't, but only because you can't Awaken yourself; Wildshape doesn't change your Type, so you are not a valid target for Awakening. Same reason why you can't use Animal Growth as a self-buff.
So, aspect of the wolf then?

Just to Browse
2013-10-19, 09:30 PM
So, aspect of the wolf then?

that's just... wait... did that... who published that?

Wargl.

eggynack
2013-10-19, 09:36 PM
that's just... wait... did that... who published that?

Wargl.
It's a pretty odd thing, admittedly. The real problem is that awaken has a 24 hour casting time, while aspect only lasts 10 minutes/level. There's definitely some way to pull this off though, at the very least by getting some other guy to do the casting.

tyckspoon
2013-10-19, 09:51 PM
It's a pretty odd thing, admittedly. The real problem is that awaken has a 24 hour casting time, while aspect only lasts 10 minutes/level. There's definitely some way to pull this off though, at the very least by getting some other guy to do the casting.

Rapid Spell metamagic will do it in a pretty straightforward way; cuts 24 hours down to 1 hour, plenty of time to cast compared to Aspect of the Wolf's duration.

eggynack
2013-10-19, 10:30 PM
Rapid Spell metamagic will do it in a pretty straightforward way; cuts 24 hours down to 1 hour, plenty of time to cast compared to Aspect of the Wolf's duration.
That does work reasonably well. I've never particularly considered the uses of rapid spell that don't involve getting things down to a standard. Certainly better than my initial thought, which was lengthening the duration of aspect of the wolf.