PDA

View Full Version : Explosive Shuriken?

Cikomyr
2013-10-16, 10:39 PM
Hi there!

I have seen a list for a D&D Utility Belt that contained explosive shuriken. I was wondering in which sourcebook I can find those babies.

Thx

Rubik
2013-10-16, 10:43 PM
Hi there!

I have seen a list for a D&D Utility Belt that contained explosive shuriken. I was wondering in which sourcebook I can find those babies.

ThxIn the CWar, p134, is the explosive property. It deals 2d4 untyped damage in a 5' radius burst whenever it hits a target -- including to the target. It's worth a +3 bonus.

Also, add exit wounds, on the same page. It's worth +2, deals +1d6 damage, and continues attacking enemies in a line at an accruing -4 penalty to hit.

Cikomyr
2013-10-16, 10:59 PM
Well, with a good sleigh of hand, I don't think I need Exit Wounds. The point of explosive shuriken would probably be as a distraction, intimidation or.. hmm.. not sure.

But there's gotta be a way for me to use my +38 to hide while everybody is looking a me. I am sure an explosion is good enough to hide in :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2013-10-16, 11:01 PM
In the CWar, p134, is the explosive property. It deals 2d4 untyped damage in a 5' radius burst whenever it hits a target -- including to the target. It's worth a +3 bonus.

Also, add exit wounds, on the same page. It's worth +2, deals +1d6 damage, and continues attacking enemies in a line at an accruing -4 penalty to hit.

Does this work with...bloodstorm blade?.....

all those kobolds...going boom...

Rubik
2013-10-16, 11:02 PM
Well, with a good sleigh of hand, I don't think I need Exit Wounds. The point of explosive shuriken would probably be as a distraction, intimidation or.. hmm.. not sure.

But there's gotta be a way for me to use my +38 to hide while everybody is looking a me. I am sure an explosion is good enough to hide in :smallbiggrin:Just think about what both do together, though. A full line of explosions, all the way to the end of the weapon's range?

"Hey, look! A distraction!" KABOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!

Does this work with...bloodstorm blade?.....

all those kobolds...going boom...Only if you add throwing as a weapon property, since otherwise you can't add exit wounds to melee weapons.

Though you could do so with, say, a handaxe or a dagger.

Cikomyr
2013-10-16, 11:03 PM
Just think about what both do together, though. A full line of explosions, all the way to the end of the weapon's range?

"Hey, look! A distraction!" KABOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!

Do I get sneak attack damage on all of them as well? :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2013-10-16, 11:04 PM
Do I get sneak attack damage on all of them as well? :smallbiggrin:Unfortunately, no.

Cikomyr
2013-10-16, 11:13 PM
Wait.. hmm..

Explosive +2
Exit Wound +2
Returning +1
Base +1

A nice lil' dagger of 72,000 gp that will wreck a line of destruction..

However, you need to succeed to hit to have an explosion :smallfrown:

CyberThread
2013-10-16, 11:13 PM
could get a flanked bonus, :P

Rubik
2013-10-16, 11:18 PM
Wait.. hmm..

Explosive +3
Exit Wound +2
Returning +1
Base +1

However, you need to succeed to hit to have an explosion :smallfrown:Fixed it for you.

Returning just teleports back to your hand. How about using the combo (sans returning) on a harpoon? You have a string of targets you attack, and every time the harpoon hits an enemy, it deals double-damage because it auto-tears itself out of the wound.

rockdeworld
2013-10-16, 11:22 PM
Wait.. hmm..

Explosive +2
Exit Wound +2
Returning +1
Base +1

Keep it as a shuriken, and it only costs 1,440 gp.

Rubik
2013-10-16, 11:27 PM
Keep it as a shuriken, and it only costs 1,440 gp.Even better if you forego returning, add morphing and sizing, and turn it into the harpoon I mentioned earlier...

Cikomyr
2013-10-16, 11:39 PM
Sorry guys, but I don't think a harpoon would fit into my character style. My current idea is "Skulk who never, ever is cornered or left without option" by using a healthy bag of tricks and uber-skill checks. Not "tear the opposition a new one" ;)

The idea of exploding shuriken would simply be to use sleigh or hand to pull one out of my sleeve (or my Belt of Hidden Pouches) discreetly and then use the Bang as cover for my skill check.

edit: and Exploding is +2, +3 for ranged weapons. Dagger = Melee, no? :smallwink:

Rubik
2013-10-16, 11:45 PM
What if you added spell storing, then used it to store conjuration spells cast by someone with the Cloudy Conjuration feat?

Cikomyr
2013-10-16, 11:50 PM
That wouldn't be a bad idea, really. That, and some with Summon Monster III :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2013-10-16, 11:53 PM
Honestly I would go with a light hammer, and use all that stuff, ontop of a greater mighty wallop

GutterFace
2013-10-17, 07:35 AM
Fixed it for you.

Returning just teleports back to your hand. How about using the combo (sans returning) on a harpoon? You have a string of targets you attack, and every time the harpoon hits an enemy, it deals double-damage because it auto-tears itself out of the wound.

I've brought this up before. and returning does not work on a Harpoon that hits and 'sticks' into an enemy according to RAW. they have to remove the harpoon themselves via a Heal check of 15. for some reason you, even if you had epic strength, cant pull it out of them :(

Sidmen
2013-10-17, 08:01 AM
Sorry guys, but I don't think a harpoon would fit into my character style. My current idea is "Skulk who never, ever is cornered or left without option" by using a healthy bag of tricks and uber-skill checks. Not "tear the opposition a new one" ;)

The idea of exploding shuriken would simply be to use sleigh or hand to pull one out of my sleeve (or my Belt of Hidden Pouches) discreetly and then use the Bang as cover for my skill check.

edit: and Exploding is +2, +3 for ranged weapons. Dagger = Melee, no? :smallwink: If that's what you want, just use a thunderstone. 30gp, makes a big bang sound that deafens people nearby

Cikomyr
2013-10-17, 08:19 AM
I've brought this up before. and returning does not work on a Harpoon that hits and 'sticks' into an enemy according to RAW. they have to remove the harpoon themselves via a Heal check of 15. for some reason you, even if you had epic strength, cant pull it out of them :(

I think his point was that Exit Wound would qualify for the Special Harpoon Damage as well. I mean, it's already bad when the weapon gets out, what about when it's designed to tear flesh while doing so?

Cikomyr
2013-10-17, 08:21 AM
If that's what you want, just use a thunderstone. 30gp, makes a big bang sound that deafens people nearby

Meesa need visual distraction, sir!

SoraWolf7
2013-10-17, 11:17 AM
So who here remembers smokesticks? You could strap a few of those to thunderstones and BOOM! Exploding loud smokescreens.

GutterFace
2013-10-17, 11:23 AM
I think his point was that Exit Wound would qualify for the Special Harpoon Damage as well. I mean, it's already bad when the weapon gets out, what about when it's designed to tear flesh while doing so?

I agree. it would be awesome. i haven't met a DM that would RAI the Harpoon being ripped out by any other means than RAW in the harpoon's descriptor. but i do love collecting better forum evidence that i can be ;)