PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Spell

weckar
2013-10-17, 12:24 AM
Right, so my current sorcerer character is a bit of a gambler. Now, I THOUGHT I remembered a spell existing that allowed for a spellcaster to place a mark only visible to them, but for the life of me I can't find/source it. Playground, I need your help. Here's what I know:

The spell is either 1st or 2nd level.
The duration was quite long, it might have even been permanent.
It allowed the caster to place a unique mark on an object, which did not have to be a signature mark.
I distinctly remember it being an illusion spell, though that might be wrong.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Red Rubber Band
2013-10-17, 12:41 AM
There's Arcane Mark (I think it's called) which marks something with an invisible sig of some description. It lasts for a long time if you put it on a non-living surface, whereas it only lasts hours if you put it on a person.

Edit: Ahhh, the problem with this is it's either visible or invisible to everyone. So not exactly what you were looking for :smallfrown:

weckar
2013-10-17, 12:52 AM
Yeah, I originally figured Arcane Mark too, but that was indeed the problem.

Maginomicon
2013-10-17, 01:12 AM
Speaking of sorcerous gambling, you might want to look into the Cheat spell and the Fatespinner PrC.

Further, a permanent Detect Magic effect (such as from a ring or permanency) would enable you to see invisible Arcane Mark while no one else can. It's likely that most reputable gambling establishments probably use AMFs or other anti-magic measures for exactly these reasons.

weckar
2013-10-17, 01:16 AM
Hmmm, that's not a bad idea. Magic items are a little outside the budget right now, though.

I'm not expecting not to get caught, I'm simply expecting to do it in style.
(Also, my DM is craving character plot hooks, so I have to throw him that bone)

Darrin
2013-10-17, 09:53 AM
Dragoneye rune from Dragon Magic? Works pretty much like arcane mark, but 3/day you can sense the direction/location... so if it's invisible, you could locate it that way.

Or, if we can't find a spell, this might fall under the "minor wish" clause of prestidigitation. Marking a card so that only you can find it later is a textbook example of, well, prestidigitation.

nedz
2013-10-17, 09:58 AM
Well there's Secret Page, but it probably won't do what you are looking for.

Segev
2013-10-17, 10:14 AM
Arcane Mark done invisibly, and using See Invisible, is your best bet. Another caster or creature with True Seeing or the like will see your marks, too, so be careful not to use your marked deck (or whatever) against such beings. Making the marks subtle so that they still require a Search check to locate might also be wise.

Though Arcane Mark only makes one mark personal to you; you'd have to make the marks' locations be distinctive rather than make the marks different. So be aware of that, too.

Big Fau
2013-10-17, 10:44 AM
Not a spell, but Finder's Chalk (Dungeonscape) becomes invisible without a special lens after a short time.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-17, 10:47 AM
Yeah that would work, just refashion the lens as a monocle or something.