PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Questions about awaken

gurgleflep
2013-10-17, 02:05 AM
I'm going to be DMing a campaign here before long with a couple of local friends and I have some questions regarding the awaken spell:

It says that it adds +2HD and changes them to Magical beast (Augmented animal), would this change their current HD from the d8 to d10, or do they just gain the two d10 HD?
Is there a variation of the spell that works for constructs? I was advised to awaken a Thoon Hulk, which is a construct as I'm sure you all know, and there doesn't appear to be anything for constructs in the description.
How can I determine the ECL and LA for the various animals? One of my players wants to play as an animal at some point and there's no listed information. After several failed Google searches I've got nothing.

The Thoon Hulk's going to be a dungeon boss for a gestalt campaign that will contain two players (local friends), both of which are still undecided as to what they'll be.
The HD, LA, and ECL is something that I want to know both as a player and a DM :smallwink:

eggynack
2013-10-17, 02:12 AM
It says that it adds +2HD and changes them to Magical beast (Augmented animal), would this change their current HD from the d8 to d10, or do they just gain the two d10 HD?:
All of the HD would change. Such is the nature of a type change.

gurgleflep
2013-10-17, 02:25 AM
That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Thank you :)

weckar
2013-10-17, 02:26 AM
For the second point: Rule Zero

For the third point: playing as an animal, even awakened, is a jumble. One has to realize that most tools, armor and any other items that are quite vital to most characters and classes are simply not made to be used by non-humanoids, especially not in such a specific niche. That, plus the obvious disadvantages of actually being an animal... I'd give them ECL = CR-2, but that's rough.

TuggyNE
2013-10-17, 02:53 AM
Is there a variation of the spell that works for constructs? I was advised to awaken a Thoon Hulk, which is a construct as I'm sure you all know, and there doesn't appear to be anything for constructs in the description.

Use the aptly named awaken construct spell, which is not in Core. (I think it might be SpC?)

gurgleflep
2013-10-17, 03:00 AM
I'm sorry, "Rule zero"?
I know they don't make the best characters but with stuff to boost natural attacks and ToB, it would make for an interesting (N)PC.

I feel dumb, I'd forgotten about that spell >_< I just read it a couple days back, too!

Thank you two :)