PDA

View Full Version : Defenestrating Boom (Spell)

Maerok
2007-01-02, 07:25 PM
Defenestrating Boom

Evocation [Sonic]

Level: Sor/Wiz 3

Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One creature within 5 ft./2 levels of a window
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex
Spell Resistance: Yes

If you succeed on a ranged touch attack against the intended target and they fail a Reflex save, the creature is launched towards the nearest window with enough force to break it and fall out.

For every four caster levels, you may lift creatures of greater bulk, starting at Small (up to CL 4), then progressing to Medium (CL 5-8), then to Large (CL 9-12), then to Huge (CL 13-17), and so on.

A window is defined as an opening in a wall in a building that is intended to be looked from rather than to be entered or exited from. For Small and Medium creatures, a 5x5 square of window is required. For every two sizes after, an additional 5x5 square of window must be available in that given window. (Large and Huge need a 10x5, Garguantuan and Colossal need a 10x10; a width can be divided by X and the length multipled by X to adjust for different dimensions of windows, 10x10 -> 5x20, X must be a multiple of 5)

To break the window, a Cha-/Wis-/Int-based sunder attempt (depending on primary spellcasting ability) is made on the wall. This attempt receives a +4 bonus and an additional +2 bonus for every size category of the creature past Small. If the window is not broken, the creature takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet plus the distance from the window to the floor. They must then make a second Reflex save to avoid becoming prone.

Smashing through the window deals 1d6 points of slashing damage per 25 square feet of area.

[hr]

This is my answer to the Defenestrating Sphere spell that got my hopes up.

TheOOB
2007-01-02, 07:44 PM
A few problums, the term window is never defined for the purposes of the spell, the damage has no regular component(hardness tends to be fairly small numbers though), the spell makes absolutly no reguard for how big, strong, or balanced the target is.

Triaxx
2007-01-02, 07:55 PM
I think it should define window as any opening on an outside wall of 2nd story or higher.

Damage from defenstration shouldn't have anything to do with the hardness of the window. It should be height of fall, plus hardness of impact surface, minus DR. The actual impact should be considered blunt damage.

Talanic
2007-01-02, 08:03 PM
No saving throw...no size limits...ok, just get a hall with a ton of windows and blow the colossal sized dragon through each one.

Alternative: Make it a conjuration effect or something along the lines of Bigby's hand spells, which makes a bull rush attempt with some good modifiers to it, but can only attempt to do this attempt towards the nearest window. Damage dealt is based on falling out the window--plus it'd still be overpowered crowd control without a saving throw.

Triaxx
2007-01-02, 09:11 PM
It definitely needs a reflex save, because the natural reaction is to throw yourself flat on the floor.

Maerok
2007-01-02, 09:43 PM
How's this now? He he, just imagine the kind of traps you can make with this... :smallyuk:

ImpFireball
2007-01-02, 11:24 PM
How about the size limit is determined by the size of the actual window, which the DM can state when they ask about it. :P

I mean, that should be assumed guys! Gosh!

Besides, a colassal sized dragon would have the AC to work past, and probably the fact that it could easily eat you (by poking its head through the opening you created) before you touched it again. So ya.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-02, 11:45 PM
What happens if there isn't a window nearby?

TheOOB
2007-01-02, 11:52 PM
What happens if there isn't a window nearby?

Then the spell wouldn't have a valid target and thus fizzle

ArmorArmadillo
2007-01-02, 11:55 PM
Then the spell wouldn't have a valid target and thus fizzle
That's only in MtG.

As much as I do love the word Defenestrate, there is already a spell that uses it. (Defenestrating Sphere)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-03, 12:06 AM
^ This is addressed already in the thread.

MandibleBones
2007-01-04, 01:45 AM
Can this be put on the Cleric list too? My Archivist wants it badly... *evil grin*