PDA

View Full Version : Major artifact: Punishment

wowy319
2007-01-02, 08:10 PM
This was based on the preface to Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. It mentions the invention of punishment for misdeeds, which first appeared as a shining blade, though it has taken many forms since. I was thinking of introducing Punishment, the ultimate weapon of law and retribution, as a major artifact once my campaign reaches epic level. I would love suggestions for improvement, and general opinion.

Punishment (major artifact)
the ultimate weapon of law, Punishment has been copied and made into many forms, though none possess the power of the original blade presented to the celestial deities by Asmodeus. Punishment takes the form of a shining greatsword with the words "retribution is the basis of all law" inscribed on the blade. Punishment is retribution in its purest form. while this weapon is the undisputed bane of all who dare to violate the laws, its incredible power can harm even the wielder, as the weapon does not tolerate those who let misdeeds go without retribution.

Punishment functions as a +6 axiomatic, vicious cold iron greatsword. However, at the end of each day, the wielder suffers 1 point of wisdom drain if they have not taken the life of a chaotic creature. once per day, the wielder of Punishment may use dictum as a spell-like ability (DC 30, caster level 18th). three times per day, the wielder may use order's wrath as a spell like ability (DC 32, caster level 20th).

Is this balanced, or too overpowered? I intend to introduce it when the PC's get to around 25th level.

TheOOB
2007-01-02, 08:57 PM
Well artifacts, especially major ones arn't ment to be balanced.

I don't see any reason this weapon would be considered an artifact, It's effective enhancement bonus isn't too high considering it's epic, and all it has otherwise is a few semi-decent spell-like abilities at the cost of a rather nasty side-effect. There is absolutly nothing that makes this weapon unique and special, much less worth accepting such a drawback.

wowy319
2007-01-02, 09:25 PM
hmm.... Good point. I'll tweak it some.

Punishment functions as a +6 vorpal axiomatic cold iron greatsword of speed that grants a +10 bonus to strength. the blade lets its wielder use the following spells at caster level 20th:
at will: order's wrath, dispel chaos
3/day: dictum, protection from chaos

how is it now?

erewhon
2007-01-03, 12:24 AM
hmm.... Good point. I'll tweak it some.

how is it now?

Well, you're getting into the right neighborhood, power-wise, but what makes an artifact an artifact is the STORY. :)

Indeed, it is not terribly difficult for Epic characters to make stuff that puts most artifacts into the shade, power-wise. But those are just Epic-level weapons.

What makes an artifact an artifact is the other-worldly, mind-boggling story of the creation or use of the artifact.

A thing like Punishment should embody the very concept of atonement, redemption, pain, loss, death, sorrow, and many others. It should have been created by a Being of Note. It should have been used for great and terrible things. It doesn't need to be awesome or impressive, at first, and lots of fun artifacts are innocuous when first found.

Maybe when found, Punishment looks like an old and battered prison shackle of dark iron. It's only later, after the PC's start to get some inkling of the "oh my GODS" powers of the thing, that it starts to "shine up."

Should be fun, though, this is a good concept for an artifact.

If you plan to introduce this at L25, the weapon as written is decent, but not great, but the powers might need a bit of beefing up. Perhaps a forcecage power, maybe imprisonment too, beefed up Symbol of Pain on sight if you're chaotic, it acts as an Iron Bottle on command, casts a Greater Dispel at DC20 +damage inflicted on every swing, etc, etc.

Think MAJOR. :D

wowy319
2007-01-04, 07:41 AM
Punishment functions as a +6 vorpal axiomatic cold iron greatsword of speed and thundering that grants a +10 bonus to strength. the blade lets its wielder use the following spells at caster level 20th (DC 25+spell's level):
at will: order's wrath, dispel chaos, protection from chaos
3/day: dictum, shield of law, forcecage
1/ day: imprisonment
Any chaotic creature that looks at punishment must make a DC 30 will save or suffer an extended symbol of pain (CL 20th). Punishment also casts a greater dispel magic upon dealing damage at a DC of 20+the damage dealt. On command, punishment can function as an iron flask.

Erewhon, I LOVE your suggestions. thanks so much for your help!

Beelzebub1111
2007-01-05, 08:46 AM
Real artifacts aren't that powerful. Take a look at any other major artifact and you will see that they aren't munchkin tools, just look at any of the others and you will see that.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-24, 11:57 PM
How can an artifact be a munchkin tool? By definition, artifacts are solely available to PCs if the DM makes them so. Besides, there's no upper limit to the power level of an artifact.

Icewalker
2007-01-25, 12:21 AM
I like the symbol of pain to chaotic onlookers. My main suggestion is that with a weapon like this, you have to have at least a whole adventures worth of backstory to it, or they get it without realizing what it is, like erewhon suggested, but when they find out it should result in something more than "sweet an uber-artifact." This is the kind of thing that can also start adventures, like some lesser deity wants to take it from the PCs (if minor gods are fightable in your game, mine are).

But yeah, I like it, and I don't think it is particularly overpowered for the ultimate sword of retribution and law; a major artifact presented to the greater powers of light by Asmodeus.

MeklorIlavator
2007-01-25, 01:40 AM
I would use a reaving dispel magic. It deals damage when a spell is dispelled, I know there is a normal dispel magic version, but the spell really doesn't change, except it is 1 level higher, so a greater dispel magic is surely possible.

Also, you could make it an intelligent weapon. Maybe Asmodeus put some of his un-fallen self into the weapon.