PDA

View Full Version : Help Tweaking a Nymph Sorcadin

asnys
2013-10-17, 08:10 AM
I said "tweaking" rather than "optimizing" in the title on purpose. This is obviously never going to be an optimized character, but the concept of a nymph sorcadin really amuses me.

Nymph-6/Paladin-2/Swiftblade-9/???-3

We would be modifying the nymph to give sorcerer casting instead of druid casting. So assuming I don't lose any more caster levels, I end up with 16th-level sorcerer casting by level 20 - not enough for 9th level spells, sadly.

But: with a roll of 17 for my base Charisma and +8 due to being a nymph, I start with +7 as my Charisma modifier. By level 20 I have a +6 booster item, a +5 tome, and +5 from stat bonuses, bringing that up to a +15 modifier. Nymph lets me add my Charisma modifier to my AC and saves. Divine Grace gives me the bonus to my saves again. Swiftblade lets me add it to my initiative, as well as giving me the 3.0 version of Haste and a few other things. So by 20th level I basically can't fail a save except on a roll of 2, and I can cast two spells per round, even if neither of them can be 9th level. I toyed with the idea of adding Marshal-1 with Motivate Dexterity and never losing initiative again, but I decided I was already losing too many caster levels.

I really like the Swiftblade class, but I'm not completely wedded to it. I want to keep the nymph paladin, though. I'd appreciate views on how to fill out the last three levels and on whether it's worth it to take 9 levels of Swiftblade. Also, on feats - I need Dodge and Mobility as Swiftblade prereqs, and I'm thinking Fey Bloodline to go with it, but other than that I've made no selections. Anything that can take advantage of my ridiculous Charisma modifier would be especially useful. I'm seeing this as a character who is primarily a sorcerer with ridiculous saves rather than someone who goes into melee.

Red Fel
2013-10-17, 08:22 AM
I said "tweaking" rather than "optimizing" in the title on purpose. This is obviously never going to be an optimized character, but the concept of a nymph sorcadin really amuses me.

Nymph-6/Paladin-2/Swiftblade-9/???-3

We would be modifying the nymph to give sorcerer casting instead of druid casting. So assuming I don't lose any more caster levels, I end up with 16th-level sorcerer casting by level 20 - not enough for 9th level spells, sadly.

But: with a roll of 17 for my base Charisma and +8 due to being a nymph, I start with +7 as my Charisma modifier. By level 20 I have a +6 booster item, a +5 tome, and +5 from stat bonuses, bringing that up to a +15 modifier. Nymph lets me add my Charisma modifier to my AC and saves. Divine Grace gives me the bonus to my saves again. Swiftblade lets me add it to my initiative, as well as giving me the 3.0 version of Haste and a few other things. So by 20th level I basically can't fail a save except on a roll of 2, and I can cast two spells per round, even if neither of them can be 9th level. I toyed with the idea of adding Marshal-1 with Motivate Dexterity and never losing initiative again, but I decided I was already losing too many caster levels.

I really like the Swiftblade class, but I'm not completely wedded to it. I want to keep the nymph paladin, though. I'd appreciate views on how to fill out the last three levels and on whether it's worth it to take 9 levels of Swiftblade. Also, on feats - I need Dodge and Mobility as Swiftblade prereqs, and I'm thinking Fey Bloodline to go with it, but other than that I've made no selections. Anything that can take advantage of my ridiculous Charisma modifier would be especially useful. I'm seeing this as a character who is primarily a sorcerer with ridiculous saves rather than someone who goes into melee.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) is an excellent source of options when it comes to "What can I do with my massive stat bonus?" In your case, look under the Cha section - there are a LOT of options for Charisma.

Karnith
2013-10-17, 08:51 AM
A quick question - are you ignoring level adjustment entirely for this character? Normally nymphs have a crippling +7 LA, but from what you're saying you appear to not be taking it into account. A Nymph Paladin 2/Swiftblade 9/Class X 3 would normally be ECL 27.

Chronos
2013-10-17, 09:19 AM
Sure, I'd love to... Wait, you said "tweak" a nymph, not something else.

asnys
2013-10-17, 09:57 AM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) is an excellent source of options when it comes to "What can I do with my massive stat bonus?" In your case, look under the Cha section - there are a LOT of options for Charisma.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

A quick question - are you ignoring level adjustment entirely for this character? Normally nymphs have a crippling +7 LA, but from what you're saying you appear to not be taking it into account. A Nymph Paladin 2/Swiftblade 9/Class X 3 would normally be ECL 27.

This is really a thought experiment, rather than something I'm planning to play, so I figured I'd ignore that for the moment. In the unlikely event I ever did use the character it would be for a solo game and therefore dropping the LA would be justifiable. (To be honest, I think having a nymph PC would, in practice, lead to too many dirty jokes to actually be playable no matter how good it was on paper.)

Coidzor
2013-10-17, 10:27 AM
Sure, I'd love to... Wait, you said "tweak" a nymph, not something else.

And yet, still works as something dirty that one would want to do with a nymph. :smallamused:

Edit: OP: What are your source limitations?

Bronk
2013-10-17, 10:27 AM
How about you take your six levels of homebrewed nymph, two levels of paladin since you like them so much, and a level or two in bard, make sure you've gotten the skill prereqs up, then take 10 levels of Sublime Chord. That will easily net you your 9th level spells.