PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage help

ramrod
2013-10-17, 01:21 PM
Hi, I've finalised my swordsage (some might have seen this a while ago but the campaign has been a little delayed in starting)

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12574

Does anyone have any good advice for combos/tactics for swordsage combat?

I've read many/most/all guides about swordsages but most are fairly useless in this respect and focus on ranking maneuvers/feats (which are undoubtedly useful, but not for this)

All help and advice appreciated!

Darrin
2013-10-17, 01:25 PM
Does anyone have any good advice for combos/tactics for swordsage combat?

What sourcebooks are available?

What is your preferred weapon layout?

Artillery
2013-10-17, 01:41 PM
I see that you are specializing in Shadowhand weapons, so Spiked Chain and Unarmed Strikes. You have sudden leap for full round attacks with movement still.

At your current level a Mithral Chainshirt will still be useful to you. Max dex bonus of +6 won't be met yet.

Basic technique is usually get enemies in reach, attack, swift action movement for spiked chain aoo and vice versa. Occasionally backing out to refresh all maneuvers.

There are plenty of fun things to do with Aptitude weapons so find out if any work with your build.

ramrod
2013-10-17, 03:26 PM
Going unarmed, not wearing any armor as I have the unarmed variant and DM allows monk ac to stack when unarmored.

The list of maneuvers I have selected are on the link, right hand side.

I picked up on the sudden leap one last night :)

Edit: all sourcebooks are open!

StreamOfTheSky
2013-10-17, 08:00 PM
I've made several Swordsages that start off with 2-4 levels in Martial Rogue (gets feats instead of SA), picking up Deadly Precision (trade trap sense to do half SA damage to foes immune...since you'll still have SA from Assassin's Stance and Craven feat) alt. class feature as well if going for the full 4 levels. It's weaker, considering all the lost maneuver progression. But Swordsage is so woefully feat-starved I often find it essential.

I also like to be a Whisper Gnome, pick up Desert Wind Dodge, and then Titan Fighting. End result? +4 AC vs. almost every enemy you'll face. Being small also means Soaring Raptor Strike is quite handy and damaging for the level you acquire it.

For ability scores...unless you have a massive enough point buy / rolls to be able to afford a 16+ in wisdom after putting at least a 16+ into Dexterity and (if going w/ a setting sun tripper build) Strength, and a 14+ into Con... Don't bother with the class's wisdom to AC at any point you can wear a shield w/o hindrance (ie, low levels if not using a spiked chain, and level 10+ when an animated shield is affordable). It's just not worth it. You still want a 12-14 in wis for the other stuff it benefits, but don't sweat increasing it or buying a +wisdom item.

Good feats for nearly any Swordsage:

Adaptive Style (CRITICAL feat! The class doesn't even function w/o it!)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)
Shadow Blade
Weapon Finesse
Staggering Strike (your stance should always be Assassin's once you obtain it)
Craven (as above)

Feats good for certain types of Swordsages:
Improved Trip
Combat Reflexes
Darkstalker
TWF / ITWF / GTWF (you do get pounce...and quicksilver motion...and sudden leap ...and the TC boosts for attacks/rend...)
Imperious Command (no actual synergy w/ the class, but it's just SOOOO good)