PDA

View Full Version : Thundering Enchantment

CryWolfCorrupt
2013-10-17, 02:41 PM
I hope this is the right thread for it, but I have a question about the Thundering enchantment in 3.5. Can it be applied to weapons that are not bludgeoning? There's nothing that I've found that says it has to be bludgeoning but it doesn't make much sense for a weapon that isn't to create "a cacophonous roar like thunder upon striking a successful critical hit". Plus, the tool tip mentions bows and longbows.

I would prefer to get the effect on something like daggers or even short swords with Gauntlets of Throwing to allow me to utilize sneak attacks (throw, deafen, no dex bonus to AC, next attack, weapons return to me for free sneak attacks). The reason I want swords or daggers instead of maces is for the increased threat range (which can be further enhanced with spells or feats) which will greatly increase the chance of me deafening my opponent and landing infinite sneak attacks for the rest of the fight. This might be a stupid concept, but I thought it sounded fun for fluff. The idea of being hit by someone with a knife that causes a thunderous explosion to deafen me sounds absolutely terrifying.

Anyone have any thoughts? Again, I apologize if this is the wrong thread, haven't spent any time off the actual PBP threads. Thanks in advance!

Fates
2013-10-17, 03:08 PM
Any sort of weapon can be thundering- if there are no restrictions stated, than there are no restrictions, regardless of how much it might make sense from an in-game perspective.

tyckspoon
2013-10-17, 03:27 PM
It's magic, dude, you're overthinking it - Thundering is just the Sonic equivalent of Flaming/Shocking/Frost/Acidic Burst. There's no reason for it to be associated with a particular kind of weapon.

Also, double check your tactics - being Deafened does not create any trigger conditions for Sneak Attack.