PDA

View Full Version : Setting-Jumping, How to?

unseenmage
2013-10-17, 03:03 PM
How many ways by RAW or by RAI are there for a character to travel to an entirely different Campaign Setting or Universe?

- Divine intervention, one assumes that a god could transport a character from Faerun to Eberron. A GreaterOver Deity (the ones so strong they don't have stats) could certainly do it. (Thanks TuggyNE)

- The Dreamheart (MotP) is one possibility, as anything can happen there.

- If I remember correctly there is a wording somewhere that implies that player created Portals could do it if the player knew how to set a destination outside their own Universe.

- The Far Realm could connect to anywhere.

- I can't help but wonder what an Epic Spell that did this would look like? What would it's DCs even be?

I'm curious if there are any less fiat means to do this thing. To send characters to 'the real world' or from Faerun to Eberron or even from Faerun to an alternate version of Faerun where psionics and magic are switched.

Any thoughts on this Playground?

thethird
2013-10-17, 03:07 PM
Whatever you do don't go into the mist.

Feralventas
2013-10-17, 03:19 PM
I seem to recall Hackmaster (an AD&D 2nd ed port) having a spell to teleport between campaign settings.

Other than that, I think most Prime Material worlds have an existing location in the prime material universe, with the Planescape exists as a dimensional annex to the prime material world. Potentially double-planeshift with an object from another world, or find the other prime-material world and just do a Greater Teleport if you're in 3.5 or Interplanetary Teleport in PF.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-17, 03:27 PM
Wish can dump you anywhere in any dimension, universe, multiverse, or plane.

You could, for example, Wish to be on the Citadel of Mass Effect fame and you would be. You should first take precautions to ensure that it's not a dead magic plane though, otherwise you will be stuck.

I believe that Gate can do it as well but I can't remember for sure.

Malimar
2013-10-17, 03:27 PM
Find a ship with a spelljamming helm (from Spelljammer).

Zancloufer
2013-10-17, 03:36 PM
Wish can dump you anywhere in any dimension, universe, multiverse, or plane.

You could, for example, Wish to be on the Citadel of Mass Effect fame and you would be. You should first take precautions to ensure that it's not a dead magic plane though, otherwise you will be stuck.

I believe that Gate can do it as well but I can't remember for sure.

I'd be more worried WHEN if you wanted to land in the Citadel. Land in at the wrong time and you could very well end up dead 6 seconds later.

Though Wish and Gate COULD land you in another setting, the better question is HOW do you know about them? HOW are those setting connected. If there is no knowledge of said other places you'd have to break the 4th wall/use OOC knowledge to get there.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-17, 03:47 PM
I'd be more worried WHEN if you wanted to land in the Citadel. Land in at the wrong time and you could very well end up dead 6 seconds later.

Though Wish and Gate COULD land you in another setting, the better question is HOW do you know about them? HOW are those setting connected. If there is no knowledge of said other places you'd have to break the 4th wall/use OOC knowledge to get there.

It's canon that Elminster and some of his buddies hung out on our Earth to drink, smoke cigars, and chat. So, theoretically, it should be possible.

---
Oh yeah, Sigil can also dump you anywhere.

tyckspoon
2013-10-17, 03:58 PM
IIRC the Plane of Shadow, the Astral, and the Ethereal can all connect you to any other setting that also has those planes; the tricky part is figuring out how to navigate them in such a way as to get there.

Forrestfire
2013-10-17, 04:09 PM
The World Serpent Inn as described in Dragon magazine has doorways that connect to every campaign setting. The only hard part is finding the place, then not getting lost in the back halls if you go looking for a specific room.

BWR
2013-10-17, 04:14 PM
Plane Shift to another plane, Plane Shift back to an alternate world (back in the day you could use Teleport Without Error to pull this trick off).
The Travel spell from BECMI
The Worldwalk spell from FR (I don't think it made it to 3.x)
Find a gate from some other (probably Outer) plane to the desired world.
Color pools on the Astral
Tovag Baragu from "Die Vecna Die" (the only redeeming feature of the inexcusable module)
Spelljammer ships

There are probably more but these spring immediately to mind.
Of the ones listed, Tovag Baragu is the only one that will actually send you to an alternate version of the current campaign setting (Greyhawk, in that case). Oh, and the Travel spell can do that, but you have to know where you want to go specifically, while all you have to do with Stonehenge Tovag Baragu is walk through it, given that it has been activated..

Big Fau
2013-10-17, 06:08 PM
IIRC the Plane of Shadow, the Astral, and the Ethereal can all connect you to any other setting that also has those planes; the tricky part is figuring out how to navigate them in such a way as to get there.

The devs have stated that Eberron cannot be traveled to via Shadow/Astral/Ethereal travel methods.

The Far Realm, on the other hand, may be able to get you there. Assuming you don't mind the possibility of becoming a Daelkyr. Maybe.

TuggyNE
2013-10-17, 06:09 PM
All the stuff I had to say has been said, so I'll content myself with a bit of nitpicking.

- A Greater Deity (the ones so strong they don't have stats) could certainly do it.

Overdeity, actually.

Jeff the Green
2013-10-17, 06:41 PM
Cross the moral event horizon in a spectacular way, and hope it attracts the attention of the Dark Powers. At least two Darklords (Azalin of Oerth and Lord Soth of Krynn) were taken that way.

Of course, whether you'd want to travel to Ravenloft to become a Darklord is a completely different matter. In that you wouldn't.

thethird
2013-10-17, 08:01 PM
That's what I referred when I say run away from the mists, if it wasn't clear :smallsmile:

Novel wise there are examples of people taken out of Faerun too. And the mournland sounds pretty shabby to me.

Fable Wright
2013-10-17, 09:07 PM
This is explicitly the main function of the Plane of Shadows, so there's that. Astral and Ethereal travel can only bring you to other Crystal Spheres. The Plane of Shadow can bring you to the version of Faerun where magic works as it does in Athas, leading to a bizarre fusion of the Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun campaign setting, and presumably also the real world as well.

Lateral
2013-10-17, 09:40 PM
...Or you could just have the DM handwave it. JEFF.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-17, 10:18 PM
The devs have stated that Eberron cannot be traveled to via Shadow/Astral/Ethereal travel methods.

The Far Realm, on the other hand, may be able to get you there. Assuming you don't mind the possibility of becoming a Daelkyr's plaything. Maybe.

Fixed that for you:smallcool:

Jeff the Green
2013-10-17, 10:32 PM
...Or you could just have the DM handwave it. JEFF.

Oh, believe me, it isn't handwaved. :smallamused:

unseenmage
2013-10-17, 10:45 PM
I go out to dinner for the evening and come back to so much awesome! Thanks Playground, you have not disappointed.

Would be awesome if there were some conversions for those non-3.5 methods and some sources for the rest but other than that I am one happy poster. Thanks again all. Definitely a lot of ideas to sort through.

A couple more methods occurred to me while I was out too,

- The Artifact Spells from Eberron could do it, as could any normal Artifact. But that might just fall under divine agency as artifacts are made by gods.

- There are some Planar Breach spells in MotP that could be used as the basis for a Custom Researched Spell (DMG) for this purpose as well.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-17, 10:59 PM
There was a fluff entry in some book (possibly 2e) that stated that Elminster, Mordenkainen, Bigby, and Raistlin (not sure about this last one) got together to exchange spells. Ah, to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting (and not have to pay $34.95 to read about it).

Movement between crystal spheres is limited, to my knowledge. Anyone have a good source where I can read about just what exactly a crystal sphere is and does? I remember the concept from 2e, but haven't seen any 3e stuff for it.

AMFV
2013-10-18, 12:07 AM
I recently had a bunch of players in Ravenloft. I gave them a quest to disarm a device preventing Clockwork Horrors from entering the Castle. (It's a long story) I had the device attatched to the portal to anywhere and then when the characters destroyed it, I sent them into an alternate universe. Still pretty fiaty but there was a lot of player agency involved, so it felt pretty good to me as far ways to do that.

Also Transporter <cough> teleporter, accidents... That's an industry standard.

Spelljammer includes ways to travel between different planes. Potentially the ethereal could be linked to other realms as I've read someplace. You could also give the players some kind of dimension hopping ship or device, or some kind of stargate type thing (if it only links a few places), although that's probably enough to fuel an entire awesome campaign.

Coidzor
2013-10-18, 12:17 AM

The Far Realm, on the other hand, may be able to get you there. Assuming you don't mind the possibility of becoming a Daelkyr. Maybe.

Isn't the relation between Xoriat and the Far Realm that "maybe" Xoriat was infected by the Far Realm? Going through the Far Realm involves quite a bit more worries and dangers than Daelkyr. Those you'd probably only really run into if you broke into the Eberron cosmology in Xoriat.

Then you'd have to figure out how to get off of Xoriat, given its secluded position in that cosmological configuration, though I can't recall whether that'd be anything but trivial for a group that could make it through the Far Realm in the first place.

Oh, believe me, it isn't handwaved. :smallamused:

Thoon-waved then. :smallamused:

Forrestfire
2013-10-18, 12:41 AM
There was a fluff entry in some book (possibly 2e) that stated that Elminster, Mordenkainen, Bigby, and Raistlin (not sure about this last one) got together to exchange spells. Ah, to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting (and not have to pay $34.95 to read about it).

Movement between crystal spheres is limited, to my knowledge. Anyone have a good source where I can read about just what exactly a crystal sphere is and does? I remember the concept from 2e, but haven't seen any 3e stuff for it.

Dragon Magazine had an article continuing a story like that. In the narrative, they visited Earth and borrowed (and may have destroyed, I can't remember) the author's dining room for the meeting.

BWR
2013-10-18, 03:37 AM
"The Wizards Three" series that ran in Dragon. Elminster, Mordenkainen and Dalamar. Though Mordenkainen was accompanied by an apprentice at one point (and I think replaced by her briefly, as a nod to one of the Greyhawk modules that had him incapacitated). Or maybe it was that she replaced Dalamar since he was busy with the Chaos War. Something like that.

Big Fau
2013-10-18, 12:09 PM
Isn't the relation between Xoriat and the Far Realm that "maybe" Xoriat was infected by the Far Realm? Going through the Far Realm involves quite a bit more worries and dangers than Daelkyr. Those you'd probably only really run into if you broke into the Eberron cosmology in Xoriat.

Then you'd have to figure out how to get off of Xoriat, given its secluded position in that cosmological configuration, though I can't recall whether that'd be anything but trivial for a group that could make it through the Far Realm in the first place.

Elder Evils states that the Far Realm is Xoriat (Father Lymic).

And it's also stated that the Daelkyr aren't the only natives of Xoriat, just the ones with the biggest interest in Eberron.

Berenger
2013-10-18, 01:47 PM
Fantasy creatures being pulled from their native realms to the modern world is the premise of D20 Modern: Urban Arcana. It's a one way ticket and they lose their memories in the process, though.