PDA

View Full Version : Putting together an online-based 3.5 group.

Atsull
2013-10-17, 05:55 PM
Recruitment is Closed.
I'm sorry, but due to a real-life emergency I am no longer capable of DMing. This was not predictable. I'm very sorry.

Hello, Elves and Orcletons! I'm looking to create a chat-based Dungeons and dragons group (version 3.5) We'll try to play weekly, but it might fall to every other week. I'll accept as many as 5 players. reply to this thread if you have any questions. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested in joining. include your character's name, race, class, and a brief backstory. I'll reply with information on how to fully set it up.

I recommend you own the 3.5 Player's handbook, But it is not necessary.

Looking forwards to playing with you,

Atsull

P.S. I'd happily accept a DM's assistant.

Ortesk
2013-10-17, 06:02 PM
rules on character build? Level, Variants ect and so forth. Also house rules if any

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-17, 06:06 PM
You might want to post in the "Finding Players (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)" subforum.

Atsull
2013-10-17, 06:18 PM
rules on character build? Level, Variants ect and so forth. Also house rules if any

I play mostly core, straight out of the handbook. I'm very easy flexible about custom races. However, my main house rules are:

1. "Evil Paladins" Paladins can serve an evil god and essentially become a bloodthirsty god-worshipping lunatic.

2. My economics are pretty different, particularly when it comes to weapons. I make most weapons fairly expensive, and encourage learning to craft your own.

3. Food: I take food and weather pretty seriously, even if that means forcing you to hole up in a tent and hunt to survive.

4. Extra races: Foden: +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -3 Constitution, -2 Strength. When angels are killed in battle (The three different Polytheistic pantheons recruit angels and fight battles in the heavens), They fall to the earth as Foden, slamming into the ground at high speeds. Purple skinned and frail, Foden are treated warily but still command respect. They are great sages and often live as hermits.
Racial features: +2 racial bonus to spellcraft. Foden are instinctively great sages. +2 to spot checks. Foden can Psychically sense nearby creatures
Foden base land speed is 40 ft. They hover off the ground by about 1 ft., Eliminating movement penalties for items such as rubble.
Fodens do not have names, and are identified by different carvings on the ebony masks that they wear almost constantly. Fodens Die after exactly 100 years of life on the planet. Fodens have no sexual organs, and thus no gender.

Snowbluff
2013-10-17, 06:45 PM
I guess we mean what level and book restrictions. :P

Amphetryon
2013-10-17, 06:51 PM
You might want to post in the "Finding Players (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)" subforum.

Information on Character Creation guidelines would probably also be appreciated by interested people.

Is that really supposed to read that Foden are -3 CON? Odd Stat bonuses/penalties are generally discouraged by the 3.X rules' set.

Atsull
2013-10-17, 06:53 PM
I guess we mean what level and book restrictions. :P
I expect you to create a new character, if that's what you mean. Otherwise, what do you mean by book restrictions? I've never heard of the term.

Admiral
2013-10-17, 06:54 PM
Doesn't this belong on the Finding Players (Recruitment) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) board?

Amphetryon
2013-10-17, 06:59 PM
I expect you to create a new character, if that's what you mean. Otherwise, what do you mean by book restrictions? I've never heard of the term.

New Characters can be created at any level from 1 - High Epic, with any Creation method from "Roll 3d6, six times, in order" to "4d6, roll 7 times, arrange as desired" to Point Buy (25, 28, and 32 points are popular options, but hardly the only options) to Stat Array to a plethora of individual DM-created options.

"Create a new character" without any indication of which of the above apply - and which rules are specific to your particular game - is going to be a frustrating experience for you AND any prospective Players.

Juntao112
2013-10-17, 07:02 PM

Well, he means what splatbooks are acceptable for character building, and what level do you want to have the characters start the game at?

Atsull
2013-10-17, 07:05 PM
New Characters can be created at any level from 1 - High Epic, with any Creation method from "Roll 3d6, six times, in order" to "4d6, roll 7 times, arrange as desired" to Point Buy (25, 28, and 32 points are popular options, but hardly the only options) to Stat Array to a plethora of individual DM-created options.

"Create a new character" without any indication of which of the above apply - and which rules are specific to your particular game - is going to be a frustrating experience for you AND any prospective Players.

Ah, I'm sorry. I expect characters to start at level one, with only one class.

Atsull
2013-10-17, 07:06 PM
Well, he means what splatbooks are acceptable for character building, and what level do you want to have the characters start the game at?

I expect the players to use the Player's handbook and the player's handbook II (Version 3.5, of course.)

Juntao112
2013-10-17, 07:17 PM
What is the general theme and/or style of the campaign?

Atsull
2013-10-17, 07:19 PM
What is the general theme and/or style of the campaign?

Fantasy/Medieval, Fairly bloody.The Goal of the campaign will be determined after I've looked over everyone's applications.

Juntao112
2013-10-17, 07:23 PM
How high do you expect it to go?

Atsull
2013-10-17, 07:28 PM
How high do you expect it to go?

Level-Wise? I would like it to get to 20ish, But if People have complicated schedules, I understand.

Amphetryon
2013-10-17, 07:33 PM
First level, using what creation method, exactly? That was the other part of what my previous post (which you quoted) asked.

Juntao112
2013-10-17, 07:43 PM
How would you be playing? Email, Skype, forum?

Atsull
2013-10-17, 07:45 PM
First level, using what creation method, exactly? That was the other part of what my previous post (which you quoted) asked.

As I said, Create the character straight from the handbook. roll your gold, then spend it on starting gear. However, do not buy spell books, ammo, or weapons.

Amphetryon
2013-10-17, 07:48 PM
As I said, Create the character straight from the handbook. roll your gold, then spend it on starting gear. However, do not buy spell books, ammo, or weapons.

Never mind. You're clearly not understanding the question I'm posing, so I won't waste your time reiterating it.

Good luck.

Atsull
2013-10-17, 07:55 PM
Never mind. You're clearly not understanding the question I'm posing, so I won't waste your time reiterating it.

Good luck.

I'm very confused by your question. If you'd stop acting so condescending and posed the question less vaguely, perhaps I could answer it.

Hamste
2013-10-17, 08:00 PM
I would suggest looking at the big 16 and submitting that in the role-playing forum. There is some important things your missing in character generation and looking at the 16 and filling 1 out might make it easier to get players. I think their particular complaint is you didn't post how to generate ability scores.

TaiLiu
I'm very confused by your question. If you'd stop acting so condescending and posed the question less vaguely, perhaps I could answer it.
Basically: how will the players create their characters? Will they use point buy? If so, how much? Will they roll for their stats? If so, what are the dice numbers?

Juntao112

The book lists several options for generating stats. Which one of those several options do you wish for us to use?

Amphetryon
2013-10-17, 08:03 PM

I am sorry that you found me trying repeatedly to get a straightforward question answered to be condescending. That was not my intent.

Good luck.

Dawgmoah
2013-10-17, 08:04 PM

Are you using the 4D6 method right out of the PHB as found on page 6?

There are bunches of alternatives to rolling stats and I think that is what the others have been asking. But that method above is what I think a person would first notice in the PHB.

Lorick
2013-10-17, 08:07 PM

H's asking how you want the players to come up with their stat points (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma). You have a few options, and these are the most common, in no particular order:
They could all roll 3d6s (3 six-sided dice)
They could roll 4d6b3 (4 six-sided dice, using only three of the resulting numbers)
They could use a stat array (a set 6 numbers. You could say, for example 16,14,14,12,10,8, and the players would disperse those numbers across their stats)
They could use a point-buy system, where you give them a set number of points (say, 32) and they start with 8 in each stat. Adding to each stat costs them a point, then 2 or 3 points at higher numbers. You can google a calculator if you're interested.

You could also give separate rules by class, so a Tier 1 class, like a cleric or a wizard would roll 3d6s, while lower tiers roll more dice (4d6b3, 5d6b3, etc), that way more powerful classes aren't so far ahead. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you plan on starting at level 1, though, as the classes don't get too unbalanced until a bit later in the game.

Amphetryon
2013-10-17, 08:09 PM
H's asking how you want the players to come up with their stat points (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma). You have a few options, and these are the most common, in no particular order:
They could all roll 3d6s (3 six-sided dice)
They could roll 4d6b3 (4 six-sided dice, using only three of the resulting numbers)
They could use a stat array (a set 6 numbers. You could say, for example 16,14,14,12,10,8, and the players would disperse those numbers across their stats)
They could use a point-buy system, where you give them a set number of points (say, 32) and they start with 8 in each stat. Adding to each stat costs them a point, then 2 or 3 points at higher numbers. You can google a calculator if you're interested.

You could also give separate rules by class, so a Tier 1 class, like a cleric or a wizard would roll 3d6s, while lower tiers roll more dice (4d6b3, 5d6b3, etc), that way more powerful classes aren't so far ahead. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you plan on starting at level 1, though, as the classes don't get too unbalanced until a bit later in the game.
There's also the matter of where they roll dice (here, another online dice-roller, on webcam with real dice, honor system, something else), and whether he has a preference for which online sheet to use (if any).

Lorick
2013-10-17, 08:16 PM
There's also the matter of where they roll dice (here, another online dice-roller, on webcam with real dice, honor system, something else), and whether he has a preference for which online sheet to use (if any).

Indeed. Atsull, it would probably be easiest if everyone interested rolled here.
There is also an site called www.Myth-Weavers.com that many people use to keep online character sheets. If you want everyone to use one site, I would recommend using that site, as many people are familiar with it.

Atsull
2013-10-17, 08:23 PM
Basically: how will the players create their characters? Will they use point buy? If so, how much? Will they roll for their stats? If so, what are the dice numbers?

Skills are determined by your intelligence and your class.
Stats are determined by rolling 4d6 and dropping the lowest dice. After rolling this 6 times, they assign the scores to the stats.

Thank you for clarifying.

Beige Dragon
2013-10-17, 09:20 PM
I'd like to try and join, however, this would be my first game, and while i'll be able to get through character creation and buying starting gear and all that, i'll be pretty newbish to anything done in the game. Is it alright if I join? Also, how would be play this? Through the giantitp forums, through a different site like roll20?

Atsull
2013-10-17, 09:22 PM
I'd like to try and join, however, this would be my first game, and while i'll be able to get through character creation and buying starting gear and all that, i'll be pretty newbish to anything done in the game. Is it alright if I join? Also, how would be play this? Through the giantitp forums, through a different site like roll20?

Yes, I love teaching Newbs! remember to email me with your basic application.

smasher0404
2013-10-17, 09:30 PM
where do you want us to roll? Irl? on the forum here (can we even use the forum dice roller on the 3.5 forums test: 4d6b3? or on some other site?

Atsull
2013-10-17, 09:35 PM
where do you want us to roll? Irl? on the forum here (can we even use the forum dice roller on the 3.5 forums test: 4d6b3? or on some other site?

Once again, If you're interested in joining, send me an email.
you can use this site: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/roll/ just enter your character's name.

Snowbluff
2013-10-17, 09:42 PM
If it only PHBs I really have nothing in mind. Thanks for the offer, though.:smalltongue:

Atsull
2013-10-17, 09:44 PM
If it only PHBs I really have nothing in mind. Thanks for the offer, though.:smalltongue:

I'm also happy to add player-suggested homebrew classes, but I rarely make them myself.

Ortesk
2013-10-17, 10:42 PM
I'm also happy to add player-suggested homebrew classes, but I rarely make them myself.

I believe he may be implying that PHB and PHB II as the only books will make a rather dull game, since really only 3 class's will be worth playing (Druid, Wizard, and Cleric) Without splat books any class besides those 3 really lack the support to be effective. If im kept to PHB alone, i will be very limited to what i can and can not do as a melee build, why'll the wizard or cleric will easily pass me with core only spells. So for this reason, I must pass and wish you happy huntings

Juntao112
2013-10-17, 10:43 PM
Let's be fair. Bards and Beguilers are also available.

Ortesk
2013-10-17, 10:48 PM
Let's be fair. Bards and Beguilers are also available.

Which need the most splat book help of any class, at least in terms of a bard. As far as beguiler, let us see how it does at level 5 next to the wizard, then watch as the beguilers magic is constatly trumped and nerf batted as the wizard/druid/cleric combo owns everything. This group needs a cleric, 2 druids and a wizard and will be perfect. Its just i dont enjoy playing those 3 classes, and id rather nor be dead weight

Atsull
2013-10-18, 08:56 AM
I believe he may be implying that PHB and PHB II as the only books will make a rather dull game, since really only 3 class's will be worth playing (Druid, Wizard, and Cleric) Without splat books any class besides those 3 really lack the support to be effective. If im kept to PHB alone, i will be very limited to what i can and can not do as a melee build, why'll the wizard or cleric will easily pass me with core only spells. So for this reason, I must pass and wish you happy huntings

As I've said, I would be happy to accept player-recommended splatbooks for use.

Snowbluff
2013-10-18, 10:14 AM
For future reference, I present the Tome of Battle. While the entire book isn't free, the maneuvers and Warblade class are free to use. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2)

This should provide more incentive for people to play melee class. :smallwink:

Story
2013-10-18, 10:25 AM
I think the most popular splatbook is Tome of Battle. Especially if you want melee characters that are actually viable. Adding Magic of Incarnum wouldn't hurt either.

pilvento
2013-10-18, 04:44 PM
Okay, im travelling to the US from DiC 7 to March 21 so durning that time i wont be able to join my weekly group and i wanted to give online gaming a shot, i just want to know if this is your first time playing online, first time as a DM, and i wish to know how we will be comunicating durning the sesions.

please dont make me send you an email to know those answers, besides the more information you give more players will be willing to join.

Since you said that you are OK with PHB2 i guess you are familiar with all the clases described there so i suggest the complete series splatbooks, and i spellthief ftw.

Atsull
2013-10-18, 05:07 PM
Okay, im travelling to the US from DiC 7 to March 21 so durning that time i wont be able to join my weekly group and i wanted to give online gaming a shot, i just want to know if this is your first time playing online, first time as a DM, and i wish to know how we will be comunicating durning the sesions.

please dont make me send you an email to know those answers, besides the more information you give more players will be willing to join.

Since you said that you are OK with PHB2 i guess you are familiar with all the clases described there so i suggest the complete series splatbooks, and i spellthief ftw.

We'll be communicating via Skype and an online RPG table.

Snowbluff
2013-10-18, 05:17 PM

Nifty.

I think I'll do a Halfling Crusader focusing White Raven and Devoted Spirit. Heal Charger, gooooo! :smalltongue:

If ToB gets allowance, ofcourse.

Here are my stats so I do not forget them. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1327949/)

EDIT: Question! What are the exact rules for magic weapons? Will we have to have caster levels to make them?

pilvento
2013-10-18, 05:48 PM

Nice, are you confortable about the other questions?

Is this your fist time playing?

Is this your first time Dming?

Is this your first time playing online?

Have you read Tome of Battle, its really fun but it takes a bit of time to understand it, my gaming group had that problem and we palyed 5 years of DnD before using it. and if some of the other players are first timers they wont like it when their fighter charges and the others start using maneuvers.

with that being said, is ToB allowed? if it is, elven warlblade all the way.

Snowbluff
2013-10-18, 06:41 PM
I always wanted to do a group with each player doing a different ToB PrC. It would be really interesting. :smalltongue:

Firebug
2013-10-18, 10:05 PM
Are the "Complete" splat books allowed? (Complete Arcane, Complete Mage, Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior, etc)

... Also Races of the Wild/Stone/Destiny/Dragon and/or Draconomicon?
*shifty eyes*

pilvento
2013-10-18, 11:39 PM
I always wanted to do a group with each player doing a different ToB PrC. It would be really interesting. :smalltongue:

in a ToB camaping yes, one of each, mastering the sublime way as a team its way too cool. but i just dont see how to fit ToB characters in other settings they are full of flavour and shine way to much, i want to make the most of them or avoid them completly.

Hikarizu
2013-10-19, 03:52 AM
For splat books, as people said earlier, some of the good ones are the Complete series, Tome of Battle/Magic, Expanded Psionics Handook, Dungeonscape, and Races of the... series. I think it's best players to be allowed to have access to any splat book, but tell the DM what they intend to use to build their characters, because there are some things that can break the game if exploited. (Leadership, Divine Metamagic: Persist, Polymorph spell line, etc). As long as they are just used, not abused, it should be all right. DM has a final say at what is and what isn't allowed of course. I am interested in a game, but without knowledge of allowed splat books and what time slot the sessions will occur. (I am in GMT+2 time zone and I am free after 5 PM on weekdays and all weekend.)

Amphetryon
2013-10-19, 08:35 AM
As I've said, I would be happy to accept player-recommended splatbooks for use.

Where did you say this (prior to the above)? I see your comment about accepting player-recommended homebrew, but not the one about player-recommended splatbooks.