PDA

View Full Version : Good RP-heavy module for a noob DM?

Cognomen
2013-10-17, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

So, talk about the blind leading the blind, but despite being relatively new to 3.5 I've been drafted to DM a live 3.5 game for a group of friends. I've only been playing 3.5 for less than six months and I've never DMed (basically, the group wants to play D&D, doing this would serve my research interests, and I'm the only person in the group with any D&D experience who is willing to DM; half the group has no D&D experience at all).

My question here is about modules. It seems obvious that as a newbie I would be much better off running a module -- but which one? My friends have requested that the game be RP-heavy. I've read things recommending certain modules for newbie DMs, and The Sunless Citadel and RHoD seem to crop up a lot. Based on the plot synopses I've read, I don't think my friends would particularly enjoy RHoD. I obtained a copy of the Sunless Citadel and it seems fun (and relatively easy to tweak to provide more RP hooks), but I'm wondering if folks here might have other modules to recommend.

...Or, for that matter, any bit of random advice for a noob DM with mostly-noob players :smallsmile:

Ortesk
2013-10-17, 10:57 PM
Heres my advice: Rule 0. Which means you as the dm have ultimate power. When something comes uip you dont know for sure on, lean on the side of the players and figure it out later. There is never a reason to waste time fretting over a rule, this is a game and if there noobs who will call you out?

Second advice, dont use modules when your going for heavy RP. Modules are very dungeon crawly, whereas you want roleplaying not roll playing. So write a story, make it have a plot, keep fighting to maybe once a session that takes 10 minutes for each hour you play. Reward Exp and gold for roleplaying and plot furthering, or just throw the exp system out and give levels as you see fit (which i find best, less incentive to run off exp hunting). If you need help making an encounter, story arch, BBEG ect, the board will do the leg work for you. But again, im biased against modules. Promotes railroading which is just a No No

My last advice, Have fun man. Just relax, eat snacks, and if people leave with a smile consider your job done well.

AMFV
2013-10-18, 12:03 AM
I tend to prefer a one-shot type dealie when I'm just starting a group. Because it gives you a chance to get to know them and what they like before they're sucked into a heavy campaign with intricate threads.

The Burning Plague, is a classic and is available online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20000801a) It's short and therefore could be easily adjusted and tweaked as necessary. It was also my first adventure nearly ten years ago, so while it's not the most memorable one, I do have a soft spot for it, and I'm still playing now, so it must have been tolerable.

urkthegurk
2013-10-18, 11:23 AM
Modules can be helpful, but they don't usually cover a lot of roleplay. That's just because there's a ton more variables that come out of a conversation than out of a fight. After a fight, one side is probably dead, and is unlikely to have much impact on the story any more. After a conversation, they're still there to weave in later on.

To this end, make fighting a serious matter. PCs should feel like they're risking not just their lives, they're risking their social standing if they end up fighting the wrong person. Keep track of various factions and goals, and make it very much about people working against the PCs, MORe than fate or the environment. Some sort of Fame or Reputation system for tracking where they stand socially can be a good tool for a beginner DM, in case you're worried about getting lost, as well as the Contact rules from Unearthed Arcana (available online for free in the SRD)

Cognomen
2013-10-18, 08:11 PM
Thanks, everyone! Very helpful advice. I'll check out The Burning Plague and think about plotlines - luckily I've got some old stories of mine I can adapt. I suppose my main worry (in terms of writing my own game story) was trying to come up with appropriately-leveled encounters with no experience, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if I end up just ("just") heavily altering a module.

AMFV
2013-10-19, 06:00 PM
Thanks, everyone! Very helpful advice. I'll check out The Burning Plague and think about plotlines - luckily I've got some old stories of mine I can adapt. I suppose my main worry (in terms of writing my own game story) was trying to come up with appropriately-leveled encounters with no experience, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if I end up just ("just") heavily altering a module.

It's probably a good idea to use a module for that, I find that modules with less roleplay stuff are easier to work if you want to add your own storylines, You can easily add your own plotlines around the level appropriate encounters that are there.

IronFist
2013-10-19, 06:02 PM
I don't think there is such thing as an "RP-heavy" module. It comes down to the players. You can have a module full of hooks for nice RP and you can have players ignoring all of those.

Anxe
2013-10-19, 06:04 PM
I give you: Tinderbox (http://www.gilda.it/imperium/download/tinderbox.pdf). It's a adventure where a madman tries to burn down a small town. There's really only one combat encounter, but the rest is the adventurers trying to undo the fires or chasing after the madman to prevent more. I think it should work pretty well for a one-off RP Heavy adventure.

Cognomen
2013-10-26, 05:52 AM
Thanks again everyone - and Anxe, the Tinderbox adventure looks great! I'm definitely going to end up using it at least as a one-off.