PDA

View Full Version : Help with PF Divine Gestalt Controller/Enabler

genericwit
2013-10-17, 10:58 PM
So I'm working on a character to start playing next weekend, and the group I'm in needs a battlefield controller. Characters so far: Magus/Wizard (focusing on minor buffing and damage dealing), ranger/magus archer, timethief/smith, ranger/alchemist, and ranger/rogue. I want to roll up a Paladin/Cleric, but I'm considering a Paladin/Oracle, instead. Basically, I'm trying to decide whether or not to go Enabler/Secondary Tank or Controller/Secondary tank, or some other combination, potentially.

We're starting at level 9. Also, stats are ridiculous starting as it's apparently a super-high power campaign, and I'd play Aasimar for Cleric and Suli for Oracle. Starting stats are (including randomly assigned benefits of +2 to stat of choice, +level/3 con and +level/2.25 cha, rolled by 4d6 drop lowest and rerolling any result of 14 or less):

Paladin/Cleric:
Str 17
Dex 16
Con 18
Int 15
Wis 22
Cha 24

Paladin/Oracle:
Str 20
Dex 16
Con 20
Int 13
Wis 15
Cha 26

Feats would probably be Improved Initiative, Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning, Power Attack, and I'm not sure what my last one would be.

Anyways, I have a few questions.

Given the party make-up of a ton of high-damage dealing characters, would it be better to focus on keeping the baddies away from the squishies or buffing to help them just get it over with more quickly?

Also, for a controller, should I focus more on summons/wall spells or on debuffs, or split it evenly?

Finally, would it be better to go melee or ranged? I feel like melee would go well with the enabler, since a lot of good buffs have a range of touch, but if I'm gonna be standing back and casting battlefield control spells it might be better to go ranged.

Any other tips you might have would be greatly appreciated.

grarrrg
2013-10-18, 11:50 AM
Paladin//Oracle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365) has much better Stat synergy.
There are a variety of Paladin archetypes that can help buff the group (Holy Tactician, Sacred Shield and Sacred Servant isn't bad either).

Oracle has a variety of options for Mystery and Curses.
There are enough Curses that you'll either find something that works nice, or you can always pick one of the "low impact" ones like Tongues.
Mysteries, skew towards Battle, Metal, or Life.