PDA

View Full Version : Artaeria--A Fairytale Setting (WIP, PEACH)

Amaril
2013-10-17, 11:18 PM
Author's Notes
This is the continuation of the project that I mentioned I was beginning in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308934) just a little while ago. I apologize for cluttering up the forum like this, but since I'm now at the stage of actually making the setting rather than just formulating the concepts and getting advice, I thought it should get a new thread of its own.

Credit for much of my concept and stylistic inspiration goes to Zap Dynamic's long-running project The Blackwood (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232675). Go check it out, it's fantastic.

Artaeria

A Campaign Setting for Warrior, Rogue & Mage

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there existed a kingdom called Artaeria. Ruled for many generations by its wise and noble kings, Artaeria was a realm of peace and prosperity—its people were honest and true, and the tricks and wickedness of faeries and monsters held little fear for them, as long as they stayed in their homes after the sun went down. In those happy days, children slept soundly in their beds, knowing that the brave knights, woodsmen and other heroes of the kingdom would keep them safe from the evil things that crept in the dark. So it was for many years…but everything has its time, and soon enough, the darkness that had been kept at bay for so long began to close in around Artaeria once more. One year, it came to be that King Geran Vinland, third of his name, fell gravely ill, and with no son to succeed him, folk across the kingdom began to whisper in fear of the future. As the king grew sicker, the vigilance of the kingdom’s great knights and protectors began to crumble—brigands and bandits prowled the woods preying on the innocent, witches spoke of doom and chaos to come, and whispers of monsters in the dark grew louder and more frequent everywhere one went. It was a time of fear and of gathering darkness…but also of greatness, bravery, and heroic deeds. For even as the terrors of the wild pressed in on all sides, they were met by the courage and bravery of Artaeria’s protectors, those who would not see their homes fall and resolved themselves to make a difference for the better.

These are their stories.

Introduction
Artaeria is a campaign setting intended for the game of Warrior, Rogue & Mage. Once an idyllic and peaceful kingdom, Artaeria has begun to descend into chaos since the current king, Geran Vinland III, began nearing the end of his life with no heir to succeed him. As his strength has faded, many in the land have begun to fear an end to the days of peace and security that have flourished under house Vinland, and as that fear has grown, the world has become ever more bleak and dangerous. The strength and vigilance of the kingdom’s protectors, which has for so long kept Artaeria’s people safe from the things that prowl the darkness, has waned to a fraction of its former state. Dangerous and desperate folk struggle to get by through robbery and violence, and witches, faeries, and other monstrous things grow stronger and more brazen by the day. In these times of gathering shadows, it falls to the bravery and skill of the righteous few to safeguard the innocent folk of the kingdom from the threats that beset them on every side.

Artaeria is a place where the fairytales that parents tell their children come to life in a very real and often dangerous way. From the magical and mysterious otherworld that exists side by side with the realm of mortals, the creatures of Faerie walk the kingdom’s wild places, each different from the last. Contrary to what many believe, not all Faeries seek to cause humans pain and misery, but even the most well-intentioned among them retain the mischief and cunning that is the nature of their kind, and men have learned the hard way to always be wary of their tricks. The shadowed depths of the forests are home to all manner of fantastical and monstrous creatures, from goblins to were-beasts to trolls, and many of them can be terrifying indeed for those unprepared. Most men fear and distrust the forces of magic at work in the world, but those who actively seek them out, courting the attentions of the Fae and practicing the art of witchcraft, can become truly formidable enemies…if they are willing to pay the steep price that such knowledge often commands. It is a world of secrets and mystery, where magic lurks around every corner and everyone has a story to tell. What kind of tale will yours be? Will you make it through the danger and uncertainty and live happily ever after? Or will you meet your end like so many others, fallen victim to one of the many threats that menace the land?

Variant Rules
The following optional rules from the WR&M core rulebook aren’t essential to play a game in Artaeria. However, they are presented here because they fit especially well with the setting, and should help to strengthen the flavor that a game in the setting is intended to have. It’s highly recommended that GMs employ them, but they can be used or not at your own discretion.

Warrior, Rogue & Scholar

Despite the fairly high-magic nature of Artaeria, people who can actually cast spells and use magic to their advantage are something of a rarity in the world. Learning even the simplest of spells is no mean feat—it certainly isn’t something the average commoner is capable of, and the cost of obtaining magical knowledge is often much steeper than aspirants bargain for. Using the low-magic variant rules of Warrior, Rogue & Scholar in your game can help reinforce the place of magic as rare and strange in the world.

Ritual Magic

Opening up the possibility of ritual magic to your players and NPCs can also strengthen the flavor of magic in Artaeria. The image of a coven of witches coming together to evoke powerful magic with strange ceremonies and incantations is one that fits the setting extremely well, making these optional rules an ideal fit.

The History of Artaeria
Coming soon.

People & Culture
Coming soon.

Locations
Coming soon.

Magic
Coming soon.

Character Options
Coming soon.

Bestiary
Coming soon.

Zap Dynamic
2013-10-21, 10:23 AM
This looks like a good start so far! I'm flattered you're drawing inspiration from my setting, and I welcome you to it. Most of what I've added to the setting has been inspired by dozens of things I've read and watched, so most of it isn't really mine to keep anyway. :smallsmile:

As you start to create content for your setting, ask how each new piece fits into the motif of fairy tales you're trying to build. If you haven't already, start reading tons of fairy tales to get in the spirit (most of them are public domain, available online, and quick reads!), and try to determine which parts of them you'd like to add to your setting. Is it the lighthearted-but-dangerous uses of magic? The structure of the stories? Something else? Keep questions like this in mind to focus your efforts.

One thing you might consider doing (if you haven't already) is to settle on a somewhat restricted stable of folklore creatures from which to draw. Try to pick most of the setting's monsters from one or two cultures. It will make your setting feel a little more cohesive, and it paints a clear picture of how your setting should be imagined.

I don't have much time for my own setting these days, so following someone else's is really tough. I'd like to check in on this from time to time, so have fun until then!