PDA

View Full Version : Spell Mastery Spells

AMFV
2013-10-18, 01:57 AM
Because of some fairly crappy build constraints I've taken Spell Mastery at level 1. Which obviously gives me only level 1 spells. I'm trying to decide which four to grab, for some reference here is my first level spell list thus far:

Benign Transposition, Bloodwind, Combat Readiness, Dawnburst, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Grease, Hoard Gullet, Instant Locksmith, Instant Search, Karmic Aura, Kelgor's Fire Bolt, Mage Armor, Nerveskitter, Ray of Clumsiness, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Silent Image, Snuff the Light, Treacherous Weapon, True Casting, and Wall of Smoke.

As a side note I will be taking Uncanny Forethought later, so any advice should take that into account, anyways, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Juntao112
2013-10-18, 02:43 AM
What four would you want if your spellbook was stolen?

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-18, 04:03 AM
I'd say...

Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, and Mage Armor

All good spells for defense and escape, which should really be the only things on your mind until you get your spellbook back.

Disclaimer: There were a few non-core spells on the list that I'm actually not familiar with, and I didn't take the time to look them up.

Radar
2013-10-18, 04:29 AM
I'd say...

Almost exactly my line of thinking, but I'd take Silent Image instead of Mage Armor. If they are swinging swords at you, you're already in too big trouble and Silent Image is an immensly versatile spell.

One thing to consider: if you allready have Spell Mastery, then you can take Uncanny Forethought (from Exemplars of Evil) at the earlies possible time. It gives you quite a lot of spontaneity in casting spells.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-18, 04:33 AM
Almost exactly my line of thinking, but I'd take Silent Image instead of Mage Armor. If they are swinging swords at you, you're already in too big trouble and Silent Image is an immensly versatile spell.

I was actually considering mentioning Silent Image as an alternate for Disguise Self, but that could work, too.

AMFV
2013-10-18, 03:08 PM
I'd say...

All good spells for defense and escape, which should really be the only things on your mind until you get your spellbook back.

Disclaimer: There were a few non-core spells on the list that I'm actually not familiar with, and I didn't take the time to look them up.

Those are a good set, the other consideration is that I'm getting some of them as standard action spells with Spell Mastery, not that first level standard action spells are that spiffy. That does sound like a good set, featherfall is definitely worth having as a standard action at all times. Not sold on Mage Armor though, since if I've not got my spell book I'm not hanging around to fight.