PDA

View Full Version : 4000 GP to spend for a Totemist? Advice needed.

Krazzman
2013-10-18, 06:03 AM
Hello again playground,

I looked into the handbooks for totemist in the past few days and am unsure how to go further with my Totemist(level 4).

So far he has a buckler, a Chainshirt, a Wyrmfang Amulet (turned into a ring) and basically that's it. + 4000 GP to spend on other stuff (DM even allowed us to pour 100% of the gold we have into a single item).

I am thinking between Gloves of Ogre Strength, Gloves of Ghost Hunting (or whatever they are called) or something else.

Currently I shape Sphinx Claws, Cloak of the Pegasi and Wormtail Belt.
I usually take expanded Soulmeld capacity (Wormtail Belt) in the morning and run around with an AC of 21. But I just got the 4th level as such I am planning on redistributing it.

Current Full attack:
Attacks: Sphinx Claws/Sphinx Claws/Unarmed Strike
To-Hit: 7+X/7+X/5
Damage: 1d8+4+X/1d8+4+X/1d3+2
Where X is equal to the Essentia Invested.

Oh and the character is still illiterate.

We are currently on a quest to aquire a Diamond that has been touched by death (done, killed a CR 8 monstrosity), the breath of a Blue dragon(upcoming) and the blood of a devil spilled by the sword of a coward.

Also due to traveling with a triggerhappy Cleric of Kossuth (throwing around Fiery Blast everywhere) I should probably have at least a bit of fireresistance but doubt I should invest money into it.

Any advice on what to shape, bind and buy?

Thanks in advance.

Red Fel
2013-10-18, 07:12 AM
Hello again playground,

I looked into the handbooks for totemist in the past few days and am unsure how to go further with my Totemist(level 4).

So far he has a buckler, a Chainshirt, a Wyrmfang Amulet (turned into a ring) and basically that's it. + 4000 GP to spend on other stuff (DM even allowed us to pour 100% of the gold we have into a single item).

I am thinking between Gloves of Ogre Strength, Gloves of Ghost Hunting (or whatever they are called) or something else.

Currently I shape Sphinx Claws, Cloak of the Pegasi and Wormtail Belt.
I usually take expanded Soulmeld capacity (Wormtail Belt) in the morning and run around with an AC of 21. But I just got the 4th level as such I am planning on redistributing it.

Current Full attack:
Attacks: Sphinx Claws/Sphinx Claws/Unarmed Strike
To-Hit: 7+X/7+X/5
Damage: 1d8+4+X/1d8+4+X/1d3+2
Where X is equal to the Essentia Invested.

Oh and the character is still illiterate.

We are currently on a quest to aquire a Diamond that has been touched by death (done, killed a CR 8 monstrosity), the breath of a Blue dragon(upcoming) and the blood of a devil spilled by the sword of a coward.

Also due to traveling with a triggerhappy Cleric of Kossuth (throwing around Fiery Blast everywhere) I should probably have at least a bit of fireresistance but doubt I should invest money into it.

Any advice on what to shape, bind and buy?

Thanks in advance.

Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic) should be a goal, but at 10,000, it's a bit out of your price range.

I would suggest swapping Wyrmfang out for the Necklace of Natural Attacks, which allows you to put in enhancement bonuses for your natural weapons individually. This would net you the same effect, since as soon as your natural weapons are +1, they overcome DR/magic. Plus you could put enhancements on them, like Thundering, Bane, whatever you like. The cost is miniscule, but scales up with each enhancement.

For melds to shape, if you're going full-on natural attacks, grab Girallon Arms for four claw attacks, and use the Sphinx Claws bind that lets you make a full natural weapons attack on a charge (I forget, is that legs?) Take a source of bite attacks if you can, and if you have a Dragonblood or Draconic subtype, take the Dragon Tail soulmeld. You now have your unarmed iterative attacks, four claw attacks from Girallon, a bite, and a tail, with every full attack action, and can do so on a charge, so you're always in combat, always taking a full attack.

Krazzman
2013-10-18, 08:22 AM
Ah I should have limited it, shouldn't I?

Faerun Stuff is allowed, Completes + DMG and DMG2, MIC and ToB as well as MoI and RoD + RotW.

Also he is an Azurin Totemist level 4. I shouldn't save that much money. Additionally Grafts are out.

Red Fel
2013-10-18, 08:28 AM
Ah I should have limited it, shouldn't I?

Faerun Stuff is allowed, Completes + DMG and DMG2, MIC and ToB as well as MoI and RoD + RotW.

Ahh, okay. Well that rules out the Necklace, as well as the Draconic soulmelds from Dragon Magic. And before I even go there, Incarnum Focus items are still out of your price range. But it does leave the Girallon Arms soulmeld, and I'm pretty sure there's another soulmeld in the book with a tail attack. (Away from book at the moment.)

The question, however, is not merely where the build is, but where it's going. Based on what I saw, I assumed that you were going with a nightmarish storm of natural weapon attacks - is that the case?

And on a side note, what race/templates on the Totemist? It may help when considering items/feats/etc. for which you qualify.

Coidzor
2013-10-18, 02:31 PM
Can you manage to save your money for another 1000 gp and get a ghost shroud (MIC) so you have the ghost touch weapon property on all of your natural weapons as well as a +1 Deflection bonus to AC? Granted, might be a little early to grab it...

Otherwise, Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting from the MIC cost 4,000 gp on the dot.

Some highlights from Natural Weapons and You: (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=482.0)

Bands of Bloodrage: 2600 (MIC) boosts all natural attacks
Ring of Adamant Touch: 6000 (MIC) if you're running into a lot of DR/Adamantine.

Gloves or a belt of strength +2 are never remiss when you're breaking face, I suppose...

Krazzman
2013-10-18, 05:05 PM
Our Kossuth Cleric offered me to lend me 1000 gp ingame as she only spend 4k on +2 to wisdom (we seriously don't like to dig in for magic items...).

I'm going to look the Bloodrage things up.