PDA

View Full Version : Video Game characters in D&D

lytokk
2013-10-18, 09:58 AM
yesterday, I was looking for a concept for a character, and someone brought up Megaman using the warlock class. I was wondering if anyone else had ever used a video game character as a concept for a D&D character and what class they used? I've done Link as a fighter, but that was before I had heard of the tome of battle. I tried to see if there was a thread of this made before, but I couldn't find one.

sambouchah
2013-10-18, 10:49 AM
I've done pokemon trainers using wizards before, and Markus from GoW using things like Shock Trooper and BIG crossbows.

Though not really a video game character I once played as the Tick :smallbiggrin:

lytokk
2013-10-18, 10:50 AM
so long as your battlecry was "Spoooooon" that's awesome.

Zombulian
2013-10-18, 11:29 AM
I've played Kassadin from LoL before. A Shaper Psion pokeyman master as well.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-18, 11:33 AM
There was a really good thread ovet at Wizards which stated many videogame characters, I think it might been lost to the 4e upgrade. Anyway I recall seeing Megaman stated as a Warforged Blatificer, IIRC it used wands of Orb of Force for the Mega buster and metamagic (empower at the very least) for the charged shots.

Edit: How did you do Kassadin? I am guessing some sort of shadowpouncing build?

AWiz_Abroad
2013-10-18, 11:38 AM
Straight up Video game characters no, but I've built/run several genre characters

I built Nightcrawler with a warlock class once (DD'ing all over the place with Eldritch claws)

I built Wolverine once with totemist class

There's an old Jean Gray build floating around the WoTC boards (truly scary telekinetic).

My current character is based on Mal Reynolds (3.5, so no gunslinger) But he's a Artificer/Windwright Captain who is getting ready to go into Dread Pirate (and yes, he's got an airship & crew[one of the few non abusive uses of Leadership])

Zombulian
2013-10-18, 11:47 AM
There was a really good thread ovet at Wizards which stated many videogame characters, I think it might been lost to the 4e upgrade. Anyway I recall seeing Megaman stated as a Warforged Blatificer, IIRC it used wands of Orb of Force for the Mega buster and metamagic (empower at the very least) for the charged shots.

Was actually pretty interesting, can't remember exactly how it worked, but yeah I used some Sun School + Blink Shirt stuff, as well as going into Witchborn Binder for throwing dispelling orbs.

Raezeman
2013-10-18, 11:51 AM
I'm going to use monsters from the monster hunter games as for my players to fight againts. Great Jaggi will be the first.

Biskup
2013-10-18, 11:59 AM
Im currently playing Unarmed Swordsage that mimics Dudley from Street Fighter ;)

He's Strong, he's Fast, he's Gentelman ;)

Highest scores in charisma and wisdom, then strength and intelligence... unfortenatly, I did not have best rolls, so agility and stamina are low :/

Im currently looking for additional maneuvers, besides those listed in book of nine swords, so if You have anything interestng, gimme call ;)

Scumbaggery
2013-10-18, 12:00 PM
I've shamelessly ripped Krieg from Borderlands 2 with a Fighter/Barb/Frenzied Berserker build. Even the personality :smallfrown:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-18, 12:51 PM
Im currently playing Unarmed Swordsage that mimics Dudley from Street Fighter ;)

He's Strong, he's Fast, he's Gentelman ;)

Highest scores in charisma and wisdom, then strength and intelligence... unfortenatly, I did not have best rolls, so agility and stamina are low :/

Im currently looking for additional maneuvers, besides those listed in book of nine swords, so if You have anything interestng, gimme call ;)

Nothing official, but there are TONS of homebrew disciplines floating around these boards.

lytokk
2013-10-18, 12:52 PM
Anyway I recall seeing Megaman stated as a Warforged Blatificer, IIRC it used wands of Orb of Force for the Mega buster and metamagic (empower at the very least) for the charged shots.
?

still new to all the terminology, but define blatificier? Warlock was suggested for megaman, but as I look at the build, it just seems the d6 hit die is going to hurt the unarmed combat I had planned for him, seeing as he was going to be in the thick of it. You just mean artificier right? Whats the specks?

Abaddona
2013-10-18, 01:02 PM
Blastificer = Artificer using wands with metamagic spelltrigger. Basically it's a guy who can apply metamagic feats to wands used by him but for a cost of additional charges, which doesn't matter as much because he can create them cheaply. Who cares that your empowered maximized twinned fireball used all wand charges when you turned all your enemies into crisps.

lytokk
2013-10-18, 01:07 PM
Will have to look into it. My group has never really delved into the depths of power a lot of classes used, which is prb why I had such a hard time wrapping my head around the tier system, and really haven't ever crafted much.

sambouchah
2013-10-18, 01:24 PM
so long as your battlecry was "Spoooooon" that's awesome.

Why of course, Lytokk!

I've also run Vaan from the FF series. Sky pirates ftw!

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-18, 01:29 PM
Will have to look into it. My group has never really delved into the depths of power a lot of classes used, which is prb why I had such a hard time wrapping my head around the tier system, and really haven't ever crafted much.

It is a high powered class, but it requires a lot of system mastery, even more than wizard in my opinion and at least for the first few level you need downtime otherwise you are pretty screwed. Action Points (as per Eberron campaign setting) are really useful for Artificers, but not needed.

They also have some fluff baggage that is quite Eberron-specific, but it can be re-fluffed relatively easy.

lytokk
2013-10-18, 01:39 PM
I tried introducing my group to action points. I was in an eberron setting and learned them myself. The results were less than positive... Isn't there a single d8 or higher class with access to UMD? still trying to pull of megaman with more hp. I just don't have the knowledge everyone else has.

Oh well, with Link it was primarily fighter to get up to WW attack, and a few levels of bard. Since he seems to play some sort of instrument in every game it seems to fit. Also, fit in with the UMD requirement.

Forrestfire
2013-10-18, 01:41 PM
Factotum has a D8 hit die and UMD.

sambouchah
2013-10-18, 01:44 PM
I tried introducing my group to action points. I was in an eberron setting and learned them myself. The results were less than positive... Isn't there a single d8 or higher class with access to UMD? still trying to pull of megaman with more hp. I just don't have the knowledge everyone else has.

Oh well, with Link it was primarily fighter to get up to WW attack, and a few levels of bard. Since he seems to play some sort of instrument in every game it seems to fit. Also, fit in with the UMD requirement.

Skill Knowledge(UA) gives you two more class skills. Taking that can get you UMD and another skill you may want.

Thanatosia
2013-10-18, 03:30 PM
It was'nt D&D, but I did make a Samas Aran type character for my younger brother to play in a game of Rifts once. The 'Fluff' I came up with to describe the character was that she was a chosen warrior being tested by the Chozo (the bird like aliens who's statues tend to hold items in the game). The Chozo sent her to an alternate dimension (Dimension hopping being a big theme in Rifts) and using a form of prescient psychic powers, also 'hid' enhancements to her power armor in places where she would travel. This gave an in-game justification for finding powerups wherever she went starting with the Morph ball to Missile and Superbomb capacity upgrades.

Cheesy as hell, but it actually worked out rather well.

Der_DWSage
2013-10-18, 04:08 PM
...I maaaay have been inspired by an older GiantITP strip to stat out Locke as a level 15 Rogue, Cyan as a level 6 Fighter/9 Ronin, Mog as a level 15 Bard, and Setzer as a level 10 Expert/5 Exemplar. Hardly optimal, but when you look at the fact that they also advanced Wizard spellcasting on the side due to Espers interfering, they became rather frightening.

At least, I think that was their builds. It's been a while, and Cyan in particular gives me trouble. I'm pretty sure he started as a Samurai that fell, because his King died...

Eladrinblade
2013-10-18, 05:06 PM
"Scarlet", a gnome summoner who wears red robes (and is the size of a human child) and whose home burrow was at the top of an icy mountain (mt. silver). Her eidolon was a yeti, so no reference there.

ArqArturo
2013-10-18, 05:15 PM
I did an Altair (of sorts) using a combination of Inquisitor/Ranger (favored enemy: Human) and rogue in a PF game. Not the strongest of characters, but it was an awesome scout, spy, infiltrator, and assassin XD.

The Ravensong
2013-10-18, 10:38 PM
I've played spiderman as a psychic rogue, using entangling ectoplasm, rod of ropes, and psychic skins to replicate his abilities.
Satella Harvenheit from Chrno Crusade as a Psion Shaper
Cyclops as a warlock
...and my personal favorite: Green Lantern as a Warlock into Green Star Adept

SoraWolf7
2013-10-18, 10:52 PM
I've seen Link as a Bard for Ocarina and swordplay.

Morithias
2013-10-18, 11:02 PM
Let's see.

We have Princess Sen. Based off of a mix of Princess Sapphire and Senhime from Disgaea 3 and a game I won't mention.

We have Patricia the demon king, who was based off of Patricia from Princess maker 4, and Miki

We have Kiku who was based off of Kiku from the same game as Senhime.

We have the enemies in the "invasion of Helman" campaign who were based on the aliens from X-com.

Hell we have the world of rosewood (yeah I don't actually have a name for the planet as a whole yet). I mean come on. 4 of the countries are called Helman, Zeth, Leazus, and Custom. I didn't exactly pull these names out of a hat.

....yeah you might want to not google most of those names. They're from games of...uh...lesser virtue.

"The DMs job is to entertain not be creative. If you like something, steal it, rework it, and make it fit your new game to entertain!"

Da'Shain
2013-10-19, 12:10 AM
For a joke I made Cloud from FF7 as a boss fight in a Pathfinder one shot I ran. Aasimar Angel-Blooded, Monk (Qinggong/Maneuver Master) 14 / Barb (Titan Mauler) 6, wielding a Huge Falcata and abusing the hell out of Dimensional Dervish, Spell Sunder and Combat Maneuvers (OMNISLASH!11!1!). I even gave him Scorching Ray from Qinggong and a Necklace of Fireballs to simulate his magic, although they were essentially useless at that level.

Good times.

Xaktsaroth
2013-10-19, 12:25 AM

My ears are burning! :P

Here's my version from 2006:

I'm most familiar with Megaman X1, so he'll be a little slanted that way. :P

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/457/0757ul.jpg

Megaman X - Lawful Neutral Warforged

1) Artificer - Mithril Body, Scribe Scroll(b)
2) Artificer - Brew Potion(b)
3) Artificer - Craft Wondrous Item(b), Empower Spell
4) Artificer - Extend Spell(b), Dex +1
5) Artificer - Craft Magical Arms and Armour(b)
6) Artificer - Extraordinary Artisan
7) Artificer - Craft Wand(b)
8) Artificer - Twin Spell(b), Dex +1
9) Artificer - Craft Rod(b), Exceptional Artisan
10) Artificer -
11) Artificer -
12) Artificer - Persistant Spell, Legendary Artisan(b), Craft Staff(b), Dex +1
13) Artificer -
14) Artificer - Forge Ring(b)
15) Artificer - Magical Artisan(Extraordinary Artisan)
16) Artificer - Maximize Spell(b), Dex +1
17) Artificer -
18) Artificer - Magical Artisan(Legendary Artisan)
19) Artificer -
20) Artificer - Improved Homunculus(Evasion, 2x Flyer, 2x Sneak Attack, Weapon Ability(shocking)), Dex +1

Improved Homunculus, eh? I wonder what that could mean.....

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/7509/0729mb.jpg

R.U.S.H(Really Uber Support Homunculus)

Small Construct - Iron Defender
Hit Dice: 18d10+10 (109 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 40 ft.(perfect)
Armour Class: 31 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +16 Natural), touch 15, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+8
Attack: Bite +17 melee (1d8+3) + 1d6 electric + 2d6 sneak attack
Full Attack: Bite +17 melee (1d8+3) + 1d6 electric + 2d6 sneak attack
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, Evasion, Sneak Attack(2d6)
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 18, Con -, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 7
Feats: Weapon Focus (bite)(b), Weapon Finesse, Improved Natural Attack, Flyby Attack, Combat Reflexes, Great Flyby, Improved Initiative

Books used: PHB, ECS, Magic of Eberron, Savage Species, PGtF, Complete Arcane

Ok, think I got all the feats right. If someone double-checked, that'd be cool though. :P

Ok, In order for this to work, X needs to create the wand sheath item to put the wand in his forearm, however, he needs to hold 2 wands in there, not 1, so you'll have to make 2 wand sheathes and combine them(rules for combining effects are in the DMG).

Use these wands: Wand of Magic Missile(CL 9) and Wand of Orb of Force(CL 10).

You can use higher if you want, to overcome CL checks or the like, however, both spells max damage out at those levels.

Now, with these embedded, let's get to attacks.

Low Level

Normal Shot - Magic Missile - 1 charge

Mid Level

Normal Shot - Twinned Magic Missile - 5 charges
Low Charge - Orb of Force - 1 charge
High Charge - Empowered Orb of Force - 3 charges

High Level

Normal Shot - Twinned Maximized Empowered Magic Missile(70 damage) - 10 charges
Low Charge - Empowered Orb of Force - 3 charges
High Charge - Maximized Empowered Orb of Force(90 damage) - 6 charges

Buster Upgrade - Twinned Maximized Empowered Orb of Force - 10 charges(180 damage though)

Secondly, you'll probably be burning through wands fairly fast, however, with the combination of feats, the wands break down like this when all the feats are accounted for:

Assuming min CL for max effect:

Wand of Magic Missile(CL 9): 3375gps and 135xp(normal creation cost)
With feats: 1898gps and 76xp

Wand of Orb of Force(CL 10): 15000gps and 600xp(normal creation cost)
With feats: 8438gps and 338xp

These can be further reduced by specific restrictions(race, class, etc...) and if that isn't enough, you can use the metamagic infusion and get an effect for free, so that'd save you on the charges. :)

Yah, I know there are probably better spells to use, however, I think these spells best represent X. :P

Upgrades:

Helm - Helmet of True Seeing
Body - Enchant armour with "of fortification"
Arm - See above
Boots - Boots of Air Walk?

I went through a ton of different options with X, but it came down to the cost of wands in the end, and X's ability to fire off his blaster fairly indiscriminately. That and Artificers rock. My first time working with them and I feel fairly confident in saying I'd be shocked if these guys couldn't do everything. I added Rush because Improved Homunculus took him from 'meh' to 'ZOUNDS!'.

Hope that helps. :D

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 12:27 AM
I actually did Link as a Rogue. UMD (Fits, he gets all sorts of magic widgets he uses despite no real arcane training), agile tumbling around combat, avoiding trading blows and slugging it out, a hero more geared towards Problem Solving than Dakka, and when he does fight someone, aimed towards exploiting weaknesses more than bashing with overhead chops.

Manly Man
2013-10-19, 02:54 AM
I've made a few Soul Calibur characters throughout the time I've played, and making heavy use of Tome of Battle. The two most recent ones I've made are in a 3.P form, using the Pathfinder system (more feats makes things much easier).

Hilde (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=624840)

http://blog-imgs-45.fc2.com/s/o/u/soulcalibur/hil01.jpg

Tira (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=625143)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111127013312/soulcalibur/images/thumb/d/d6/Sc5-tira.jpg/450px-Sc5-tira.jpg

If I'm remembering correctly, Hilde's style hinges on using a two-handed simple weapon (a spear in this case) as a one-handed martial weapon, similar to the whole bastard sword thing. I've also considered making Siegfried in a manner like Hilde, but with more evenly distributed Warblade and Crusader levels, which would fit his history as a brigand.

Czin
2013-10-19, 05:35 AM
So for anyone who's played metal gear rising.

How about Senator Armstrong?

Given how easily he was able to overpower "Watch me stop this aircraft carrier one handed and judoflip this thousand ton mecha" Raiden, his Strength score has got to be something incredibly silly.

And given how he was so tough that the High Frequency sword which up until that point, cut through damn near anything besides other high frequency weapons and explosive reactive armor like butter did precisely squat to him his Armor class and Damage reduction should probably also be ridiculous.

As for expies, one my players uses an outright Raiden expy and the other a Samus aran expy for our Space Fantasy game. Up to and including judo flipping giant mecha and functioning perfectly fine on planets with 900 times surface gravity.

The campaign as a whole is pretty over the top, but when the villain is an ancient precursor alien (effectively the Didact and XCOM's uber ethereal in one), it demands over the top heroes to face it.

Statting out the capabilities of Forerunner armor from the Forerunner trilogy books and the nuttier of XCOM's psionics (and turning the dial up to eleven) was really quite fun.

I had no idea what Bears meant by War Sphinxes being able to sweep entire continents, so I just assumed that the mini-mecha suit would be able to fly around a continent really quickly delivering city busting firepower to cleanse it rather than a single particularly large kaboom when thinking up of how to give the guy statistics.

magwaaf
2013-10-19, 02:59 PM
Why of course, Lytokk!

I've also run Vaan from the FF series. Sky pirates ftw!

why vaan? whynot balthier???

mindwarper10
2013-10-19, 03:24 PM

because the main char always gets the cake. see FF dissidia

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 03:26 PM
Because FF games have a habit of calling someone the Main Character even though they aren't really, usually confusing the term "Main Character" for "First character you play in the game". Though not even that in FFXII I guess (As you play his brother first instead). Really, it goes all the way back to FF VI if you don't believe me.

FF VI: Terra Bradford: They call her the Main Character, and also the first Female main character in the series. She IS the first character in the cast you actually play as. And the story has a somewhat decent focus on her, with events centering around her for about the first 25% of the game (After which it becomes a rapidly decreasing plot point). However all told you only really control her for about 25% of the game, if that. The main plotlines tend to follow other characters much more, like Edgar, Sabin, and Locke leading the resistance, or Celes's turning against the Empire and struggling to make right the damage she caused as their general, and the game follows these plotlines a lot more than Terra's Half-Esper storyline.

FF X: Tidus. Ug. Despite how much he says "this is my story", it's really the story about Yuna, her pilgrimage, her need to face her ultimate fate, and if she is willing to sacrifice others to bring a temporary, and mostly futile, pause to the endless godzilla rampage. The story revolves around her choices, her decisions, and what people try to do to her. Tidus is, at best, really just a device to give us exposition as he's clueless about pretty much everything and had to have it explained to him.

FF XII: Vaan. Really you can cut Vaan's character entirely out of the game, an the storyline wouldn't be impacted at all. Well, except maybe missing the 2-4 hours of gameplay before Balthier or Ashe show up. Both of them make a more compelling case for "Main character" as one is the Sky Pirate who's exploits constantly steal the show, who has ties to major antagonists, etc, or Ashe as the princess trying to rebuild her kingdom, the driving force that sets the party against the evil empire.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-10-19, 03:31 PM
I actually did Link as a Rogue. UMD (Fits, he gets all sorts of magic widgets he uses despite no real arcane training), agile tumbling around combat, avoiding trading blows and slugging it out, a hero more geared towards Problem Solving than Dakka, and when he does fight someone, aimed towards exploiting weaknesses more than bashing with overhead chops.

Not when I play Legend of Zelda! When I play a 3D LoZ game (which for me just means Wind Waker... not the biggest enthusiast of the series mostly because I'm too lazy to get up and go buy the others), I like to kill all the melee enemies with just my sword and shield!

I've fought three Darknuts at once and gotten out alive... with a maximum life of four hearts! (I'm currently going through a self-imposed challenge of "don't pick up any boss heart containers", and perhaps also "don't deliberately get pieces of heart". I like to get all the side treasure so picking up pieces of heart from treasure chests is inevitable)

Granted, I'm currently playing Dark Souls on PC with mouse and keyboard, so I'm probably not the most sane person when it comes to video game combat...

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 03:40 PM
Wind Waker is one I haven't run. Though I imagine that would be pretty hard to do for most Zelda games. Things like Like Likes in melee will keep eating your shield. Iron Knuckles who you can't block and would do 4 hearts worth of damage a hit anyway, enemies like the Lizardmen who block frontal attacks so you have to surprise them, etc. Though you'd have better luck with it in Link's Adventure, nothing that totally hoses the melee shot trading, except that it's really luck/twitch based on if you'll have your guard in the right place at the right time.

mindwarper10
2013-10-19, 03:49 PM
Because FF games have a habit of calling someone the Main Character even though they aren't really, usually confusing the term "Main Character" for "First character you play in the game". Though not even that in FFXII I guess (As you play his brother first instead). Really, it goes all the way back to FF VI if you don't believe me.

FF VI: Terra Bradford: They call her the Main Character, and also the first Female main character in the series. She IS the first character in the cast you actually play as. And the story has a somewhat decent focus on her, with events centering around her for about the first 25% of the game (After which it becomes a rapidly decreasing plot point). However all told you only really control her for about 25% of the game, if that. The main plotlines tend to follow other characters much more, like Edgar, Sabin, and Locke leading the resistance, or Celes's turning against the Empire and struggling to make right the damage she caused as their general, and the game follows these plotlines a lot more than Terra's Half-Esper storyline.

FF X: Tidus. Ug. Despite how much he says "this is my story", it's really the story about Yuna, her pilgrimage, her need to face her ultimate fate, and if she is willing to sacrifice others to bring a temporary, and mostly futile, pause to the endless godzilla rampage. The story revolves around her choices, her decisions, and what people try to do to her. Tidus is, at best, really just a device to give us exposition as he's clueless about pretty much everything and had to have it explained to him.

FF XII: Vaan. Really you can cut Vaan's character entirely out of the game, an the storyline wouldn't be impacted at all. Well, except maybe missing the 2-4 hours of gameplay before Balthier or Ashe show up. Both of them make a more compelling case for "Main character" as one is the Sky Pirate who's exploits constantly steal the show, who has ties to major antagonists, etc, or Ashe as the princess trying to rebuild her kingdom, the driving force that sets the party against the evil empire.

I will admit that I never played ffii, it was more of a joke than anything.
Her half esper part was only part of her being the main character...but for all intents and purposes she followed the role of "main character" very closely. Especially in those days it was common for the main character to have a "psychomode or psychotic break down" or what not and the player loses control of them...but you definitely control her for more than 25% of the game.
The leading the resistance part was a major factor in the game, but I hardly would say that warrents the other characters being the lead roles in the game.

actually ffx does revolve around tidus, it just revolves around him being with her. He takes the position of the player "I don't know this world, so I connect with this character, thus I play the role of this character" which makes him a plausible main character...but all in all the story really DOES revolve around him. Yuna's pilgrimage just happens to be where his story takes place.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-10-19, 03:51 PM
Wind Waker is one I haven't run. Though I imagine that would be pretty hard to do for most Zelda games. Things like Like Likes in melee will keep eating your shield. Iron Knuckles who you can't block and would do 4 hearts worth of damage a hit anyway, enemies like the Lizardmen who block frontal attacks so you have to surprise them, etc. Though you'd have better luck with it in Link's Adventure, nothing that totally hoses the melee shot trading, except that it's really luck/twitch based on if you'll have your guard in the right place at the right time.

That would explain it. In Wind Waker, your shield is unbreakable, even though Tetra points out early on that it's just an old wooden relic. Plus it's relatively easy to time parries, which are powerful dodge-and-counter combos (although you can only use it to counter the opponent you're locked onto, so when fighting groups it's harder).

Darknuts are pretty much the toughest enemy in that game that plays fair (barring Ganon, who fights you with dual katanas and none of his warlock moves), with full armor that is virtually only removable with parries (if you can get behind him and cut up the threads in the back without using the roll-around parry, that works, but you still can't cut through the helmet without the helmsplitter parry), and a good number of hitpoints, but they don't have any kind of special attacks. You easily block their big swords with no harm to you except a bit of knockback, and they're not the best at using their shields.

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 03:59 PM
I'd say 25% is fair. I mean, Terra gets taken out of the action early in the World of Light. You spend about 20 hours in the world of Light if you do everything, kinda putz around, not counting infinite XP level grinding loop on the River Raft, of which you control Terra for maybe 4 of those hours.

Then you spend about 30 hours in the World of Ruin. You get Terra pretty late in the World of Ruin, and all told maybe spend 10 hours or so with her. So 14ish hours in a 50 hour game (If you're a completionist type, well, reasonable one and not waiting around for things like a 1/255 spawn on the Veldt to get Gau his last Rage). A little more than 25% when I thought of the numbers... but not too much.

I don't really see it for FFX though. Tidus is a handy expositional device, as I mentioned. In fact that's why you call him a main character, when it comes down to what I'm seeing. But... the parallel would be something like saying that the Narrator in a movie in the Main Character because they are the device through which things are explained to you. You always play as Tidus (excepting part of the prison break), but the plot doesn't really revolve around him. He's not a driving force, he's a witness. Everything that's going on is more or less out of his power and his hands. It's ultimately up to what choices Yuna makes. The antagonists are focused on Yuna, not Tidus, and hell, Tidus isn't even really the leader of his "group", he's mostly a cheerleader who tells people to buck up at times.

mindwarper10
2013-10-19, 04:17 PM
I'd say 25% is fair. I mean, Terra gets taken out of the action early in the World of Light. You spend about 20 hours in the world of Light if you do everything, kinda putz around, not counting infinite XP level grinding loop on the River Raft, of which you control Terra for maybe 4 of those hours.

Then you spend about 30 hours in the World of Ruin. You get Terra pretty late in the World of Ruin, and all told maybe spend 10 hours or so with her. So 14ish hours in a 50 hour game (If you're a completionist type, well, reasonable one and not waiting around for things like a 1/255 spawn on the Veldt to get Gau his last Rage). A little more than 25% when I thought of the numbers... but not too much.

I don't really see it for FFX though. Tidus is a handy expositional device, as I mentioned. In fact that's why you call him a main character, when it comes down to what I'm seeing. But... the parallel would be something like saying that the Narrator in a movie in the Main Character because they are the device through which things are explained to you. You always play as Tidus (excepting part of the prison break), but the plot doesn't really revolve around him. He's not a driving force, he's a witness. Everything that's going on is more or less out of his power and his hands. It's ultimately up to what choices Yuna makes. The antagonists are focused on Yuna, not Tidus, and hell, Tidus isn't even really the leader of his "group", he's mostly a cheerleader who tells people to buck up at times.

well It has been a while since I played ff6 anyways so I wont argue that haha. She wasn't my favorite by any means. But she was important to the story so far to the point it would not be the same story without her, the main villain directly relates to her not so much the other characters, at least as far as I remember. (I mean I know he did directly affect the other characters, but his impact was on her more than any)

in ffx there were points where he did drive the story, generally for large periods of time. The main antagonist did focus more on Yuna but his points in the story were sporadic at best, you saw more off and played against more off Tidus's main antagonist, his father essentially. Leaders in stories like these tend to be cheerleaders. The players perception of the plot revolves around Tidus, it takes more than half the game for you to actually have proof of who your villain is. If it had taken half the game or less maybe then the real big baddy would be relevant and it would be about Yuna. Yuna played more of a role of drawing our hero to action, a constant tug of what he should be doing, something all heroes tend to need. Without her he still would have plenty of reasons (daddy!!) to keep going. But if you took Yuna out of the game chances are the big baddy would have simply been sin. The deeper darker aspects of the story wouldn't have been in there. Either way the plot directly revolves around him and his actions in the story. It revolves around him helping Yuna, him finding daddy, and how he fits in the world. Without him taking action many times throughout the game...based on the story content (not what the other characters should have been able to do) the party would never have made it.

Czin
2013-10-19, 04:21 PM
Am I the only metal gear fan around here. :P

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 04:33 PM
Nah. I like Metal Gear but I had no idea who you were talking about. Much less that didn't sound like Metal Gear stuff. I remember Metal Gear being about operation Intrude N313, with a more or less normal guy (Who looked like Kyle Reese from Terminator for some reason) who got dropped into a jungle without a weapon, punches dogs in the face, and gets killed by the floors.

Czin
2013-10-19, 04:38 PM
Nah. I like Metal Gear but I had no idea who you were talking about. Much less that didn't sound like Metal Gear stuff. I remember Metal Gear being about operation Intrude N313, with a more or less normal guy (Who looked like Kyle Reese from Terminator for some reason) who got dropped into a jungle without a weapon, punches dogs in the face, and gets killed by the floors.

Metal Gear Rising's Main Character is Raiden, not Snake. Badass Cyborg Raiden at that. Badass Cyborg "See this Metal Gear RAY? See it fly into the air!" Raiden.

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 04:57 PM
Doesn't ring a bell. Haven't played a Metal Gear game since... 1990ish? Loved 'em though.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-19, 05:05 PM

Metal Gear Rising's Main Character is Raiden, not Snake. Badass Cyborg Raiden at that. Badass Cyborg "See this Metal Gear RAY? See it fly into the air!" Raiden.

You two guys have just perfectly summed up the differences between old school Metal Gear and new school Metal Gear Solid. Classic Metal Gear was like an 80s action movie, while Metal Gear Solid and its sequels/spinoffs are like super spies plus invisible ninjas plus guys with super powers HUZZAH!

EDIT:

Doesn't ring a bell. Haven't played a Metal Gear game since... 1990ish? Loved 'em though.

Raiden was the emo protagonist you got stuck with for 75% of Metal Gear Solid 2. And now he's a cyber ninja that cuts Metal Gears in half or something.

Manly Man
2013-10-19, 07:34 PM
Raiden was the emo protagonist you got stuck with for 75% of Metal Gear Solid 2. And now he's a cyber ninja that cuts Metal Gears in half or something.

Gestalt Warforged (or perhaps some kind of half-golem) Swordsage//Rogue?

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 07:38 PM
I dunno, when I think of whiny emo git protagonist with super powers? I'm thinking Cleric, usually with some sort of Death angle or "God of Assassins" or "God of Plague" cleric, etc. Usually broody, whiny, complaining about how all existence is suffering and praise to the endless void of death, etc, etc, etc. And still have the power to go cutting tanks in half and suplexing trains. :smallbiggrin:

sambouchah
2013-10-19, 09:48 PM

because the main char always gets the cake. see FF dissidia

I just played Vaan because at the time I thought his character was the best one in the game. Although replaying many of my old FF games I realized that he is pretty cruddy.

Manly Man
2013-10-19, 11:08 PM
Decided to get another Soul Calibur character made this evening:

Siegfried (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=685710)

http://www.inside-games.jp/imgs/ogp_f/197587.jpg

Pretty much just a standard Warblade 6/Crusader 7 (W 3/C 3/W 3/C 4) build, using a fullblade instead of a greatsword, and actually bothering with taking a Stone Dragon stance (Roots of the Mountain) to simulate his in-game stance Base Hold.

Kane0
2013-10-20, 01:34 AM
I've shamelessly ripped Krieg from Borderlands 2

I haven't done Krieg, but i have called upon Tina and Lilith for character inspiration, especially drawing upon Tinas Assault DLC material.

NPC big daddies and sandworms have also made cameos while i have DM'd, as well as that dragon ball Z inspired warlock.

MasterBruce1984
2015-02-24, 05:24 AM
I made most of the characters from Final Fantasy VII for funzies. I am actually using the Aerith character in a campaign right now and she is turning into quite the little badass. These are just my ideas to make their characters as useful as possible within the confines of Pathfinder, and I am staying as true to the character as possible. Once again, this is just my view, and if you see things differently I would love to hear your interpretations.

Tifa

Human Fighter (Brawler) / Monk, with a 2:2 ratio works best. Unarmed attacks, of course. For stat importance I went WIS > DEX > STR > the rest. She is your DPS, so Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Panther Style, and Barroom Brawler are great feats to look in to.

Cid

Gear Gnome (Pyromaniac) Alchemist (Grenadier). Bombs, bombs, bombs! CON > INT > DEX > the rest. For primary weapon, go spear, trident or something of the sorts.

Cloud

Human Barbarian (Titan Mauler). LARGE BROADSWORD!! I highly suggestion the superstition and renewed vigor rage abilities along with this. Furious Focus, Power Attack, Ragining Vitality are great feats along with Death or Glory. Once you get Jotungrip, you are set. STR > CON > DEX > the rest.

Yuffie

Human Ninja. I gave her a Chakram for a weapon (Heirloom Weapon Trait), and Deadly Range for Ninja Trick made things even better, along with the Point-Blank shot, Deadly Aim feats. Stat dump CHA, and focus on DEX and CON.

Barret

Duergar (Daysighted) Gunslinger (Gun Tank). Some of the better Deeds to pick up are Deadeye, Quick Clear, and Pistol-Whip. Feats are your typical ranged character (Point Blank, Deadly Aim, Dodge)
DEX and WIS are your 2 abilities to focus on. Primary weapons should be heavy firearms (Muskets, Blunderbuss)

Vincent

Damphir (Dayborn) Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger). Deeds for this guy are Deadeye, Gunslinger's Dodge, and Gunslinger's Initiative. Aside from the basics, I would recommend Rapid Reload and Nimble Moves (it leads to some awesome stuff.) He should primarily use shotguns.

Cait Sith

Homebrew Cait-Sith Race Bard / Druid (1st druid, rest bard). Use the Druid to get your animal companion to ride on! I chose a Mastodon, as it made the most sense. He is your typical bard, used to buff/debuff your party, and the animal companion can assist where necessary. DEX and CHA are your abilities of choice, with STR being stat dump.

Aerith

Slyph (Breeze-Blessed) Oracle of Life / Paladin (Warrior of Holy Light). White Mage, Heal Bot, Healer, whatever you want to call her. The Revelations you want to focus on are Life Link and Energy Body. Once you get those, you can start your multiclass into Paladin. This will give you a boost to your saves, and Lay on Hands (swift action heal 1d6 on yourself). You only need 4 levels of Paladin, and the rest can go to Oracle. Abilities to focus on are CHA and CON.

Sephiroth

Strix (Tough) Antipaladin/Magus. INT, STR and CON are your stats of interest.

No, I didn't make a RED XIII, because you can always change Cait Sith's animal companion to a Red XIII-esque character.

Dr_Dinosaur
2015-02-24, 09:26 AM
I statted up the gang (plus some enemies) from Chrono Trigger in PF a while back, though apparently I've lost a few.

*Crono: Human Kensai Magus with a dip into Mute Oracle for flavor and Silent Spell.
*Frog: Grippli Paladin. Fairly basic, took the racial feats to deliver Lay on Hands and spells through his tongue.
*Marle: Human Oracle with the Haunted curse and Waves mystery.
*Magus: Dhampir Antipaladin/Arcane Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight, might have replaced EK with, well, Magus.
*Slash: If I built him now he'd be a hobgoblin Warlord/Magus, no doubt.
*Lavos was basically the Tarrasque pumped with templates and given epic levels in Occultist.
*Flea I never got around to, but with Akashic Mysteries coming out, something from there with access to the Desire powers might fit.

Spore
2015-02-24, 10:58 PM
Am I the only metal gear fan around here. :P

I liked MGR but I do not consider this game "a Metal Gear game". It has almost nothing to do with Metal Gears and it is an over the top silly spectacle fighter. Come on? That Russian chick with her "arms blade"? You can't tell me you didn't make at least one crude ambiguous joke about that at one point.