PDA

View Full Version : Caster Magical Item Abilities (3.5, PEACH)

ArotaAlehthrra
2013-10-18, 01:22 PM
So, as a bit of background, my group plays with a modified version of levelled treasures from Dungeon #289, renamed to Heirloom Items. Essentially, everyone can only have one item with magic item abilities on it. Everything else can only have enhancement bonuses, or non-magical advantages, on it. It works for us, except for casters. Currently, the only full caster that has an 'Heirloom Item' is the healing cleric - as a new player, he innocently asked if he could turn the wagon he bought into his heirloom item and make it bigger on the inside - to which I said yes, because TARDIS.

Beyond that one wagon however, the casters are sort of at a loss, so I set about trying to figure out some basic item abilities for them, according to the prices of various magic items. I'd never allow these item abilities except in conjunction with the 'one magicallly enhanced item per person' rule, but I'd still like to make sure they're as balanced against other abilities of their bonus as possible, or at the least make sure that the abilities have the appropriate bonuses.

This is also an attempt to allow players to have the classic wizard's staff, as that was the first thing I thought of when I was introduced to the rule.

Accepted along with critique: ideas for other abilities.

{table=head]Ability | Bonus Cost
Armor | +1
Endless | +1
Enigmatic | +1
Identification | +1
Kender's Stash | +1
Metamagic Extend | +1
Metamagic Silent | +1
Metamagic Still | +1
Spell Slots, 1st level | +1
Armor, Improved | +2
Counterspelling | +2
Dreadful | +2
Durable | +2
Inspirational | +2
Metamagic Empower | +2
Spell Slots, 2nd level | +2
Spellpower | +2
Metamagic Maximize | +3
Metamagic Widen | +3
Spell Slots, 3rd level | +3
Spell Slot, 4th level | +4
Metamagic Quicken | +4
Spell Slot, 5th level | +5
[/table]

Armor: The wielder can activate this once per day in order to cast mage armor on themselves as a swift action for a number of minutes equal to the item's total bonus.
Armor, Improved: The wielder can activate this once per day in order to cast greater mage armor on themselves as a swift action for a number of minutes equal to the item's total bonus.
Counterspelling: This ability must be charged by casting a spell into the heirloom item. After the ability has been charged, should a spell of the same school be cast upon the owner, they can counterspell it with the spell in the staff, as if they had the Improved Counterspelling feat. Once the ability has been discharged, the owner must wait a day before charging it again for another use.
Dreadful: Once per day the owner of this item can activate this ability, causing all enemies who can see them to make a Will save (DC 15 + the total bonus of the item). If a creature fails, they are shaken for a number of rounds equal to the item's total level.
Durable: An item with this ability is immune to all forms of environmental or area of effect damage. Only spells or abilities that specifically attack an item can damage it, and for such purposes it is treated as having double the hardness and hit points of a normal item of its type.
Endless: When used on a book, the item will never run out of pages. The owner need only think of the page they want while holding it, and the book will flip to the correct spot. Such books may only be written in or used by their owner. When added to a bag of holding or other extradimensional space, this increases the size by a factor of one. If the item does not usually come in multiple sizes, simply add its original size to it again each time the Endless ability is added.
Enigmatic: The owner of an enigmatic item is under the effects of an undetectable alignment spell for as long as they wield it.
Identification: The wielder can cast identify twice per day.
Inspirational: Once per day the owner of this item can activate this ability, granting their allies within visual range a +1 morale bonus on all attack rolls, saving throws, skills checks, and ability checks for a number of rounds equal to the item's total level.
Kender's Stash: Items with this ability gain a small removable decoration - a button, a jewel, a leaf that continual regrows, or something similar. Three times per day the owner can pluck the decoration off the item and have it transform into a random piece of adventuring gear, as drawn from the Player's Handbook Table 7-8. The item lasts for 24 hours before disappearing.
Metamagic Empower: The item can be used to empower a spell three times per day as if using the feat Sudden Empower.
Metamagic Extend: The item can be used to extend a spell three times per day as if using the feat Sudden Extend.
Metamagic Maximize: The item can be used to maximize a spell three times per day as if using the feat Sudden Maximize.
Metamagic Quicken: The item can be used to quicken a spell three times per day as if using the feat Sudden Quicken.
Metamagic Silent: The item can be activated three times per day in place of the vocal componet of a spell, as if applying the feat Sudden Silent.
Metamagic Still: The item can be activated three times per day in place of the somatic componet of a spell, as if applying the feat Sudden Still.
Metamagic Widen: The item can be used to widen a spell three times per day as if using the feat Sudden Widen.
Spell Slots, 1st level: The heirloom item gains three empty spell slots that can hold three first level spells of any type. These spells must be cast into the item originally, but can be discharged at any time, using the same caster level as when they were cast into the item.
Spell Slots, 2nd level: The heirloom item gains three empty spell slots that can hold three second level spells of any type. These spells must be cast into the item originally, but can be discharged at any time, using the same caster level as when they were cast into the item.
Spell Slots, 3rd level: The heirloom item gains two empty spell slots that can hold two third level spells of any type. These spells must be cast into the item originally, but can be discharged at any time, using the same caster level as when they were cast into the item.
Spell Slots, 4th level: The heirloom item gains one empty spell slot that can hold one fourth level spell of any type. This spell must be cast into the item originally, but can be discharged at any time, using the same caster level as when it was cast into the item.
Spell Slots, 5th level: The heirloom item gains one empty spell slot that can hold one fifth level spell of any type. This spell must be cast into the item originally, but can be discharged at any time, using the same caster level as when it was cast into the item.
Spellpower: The wielder gains a +1 enhancement bonus on checks to overcome SR.

Hamste
2013-10-19, 08:53 PM
I can just imagine a caster who used endless on their blessed book. The thing with casters is that they don't actually need magical items all that much other than intelligence boosters (an enhancement bonus so that doesn't need to be a heirloom?). For example why have an item that casts a mage armor that last minutes when you can cast it yourself and it lasts hours? Most of the stuff you mentioned in the list doesn't actually matter for a spell caster or is easily replicable through magic.

ArotaAlehthrra
2013-10-20, 05:56 AM
Beginning to think I'm the only Wizard who's ever wished for an alternative to preparing mage armor every day or buying bracers, lol. Though to clarify, this isn't limited to wizards and sorcerers, so I could easily see a druid or bard wanting that ability (or the paladin without endurance that keeps getting woken up in the middle of the night).

I'm aware that casters don't really need magic items - rather, magic items are mostly there to help bring the non-casters up to par with some of the crazy stuff casters can do. But I'd like to encourage my casters to get in on this system for the cool RP purposes of having their own version of Gandalf's staff, at least. Truthfully, I'd love to strip most of the combat abilities out of the table entirely, but it looks a little bare without them, and they might make some good filler. Plus, I have a sorcerer who actually USES the rod of empower I gave him, so who knows?

Hamste
2013-10-20, 07:19 AM
You would still need to prepare mages armor though unless if you have a 5 minute work day the minutes per item bonus once per day is simply not enough. Bards should not be needing the armor thing (They should get a wand of swift ready to use if there is night attacks). It would be nice as a druid to have that armor bonus for when they shift but they can get the bonus just as easily by having the wizard/sorcerers cast it on them (without one of those two it does get much more alluring to use the armor bonus but at once per day it would still probably be better to get a wand of it and hope someone can make the UMD check). The armor thing is however great for tanks like paladins or fighters but that is explicitly tanks over casters and it only really comes up if they are attacked at night.

That is not the point though, the point is many people who play casters (particularly that start at low levels) are forward thinkers. They might eventually get the heirloom item but they are probably just saving up for just the right one so as to not waste power. Unless if you gave them the option between using any magic item or just a heirloom item they should eventually choose to get one as there is no reason not to.

ArotaAlehthrra
2013-10-20, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, I see your point. I actually thought mage armor was self-only, too, but just looked it up. Makes one encounter my party almost died in due to lack of armor quite hilarious...

Hamste
2013-10-20, 10:31 AM
Here's a suggestion for one. The shield spell only instead of it lasting minutes make it last hours. A bonus that is not easily replicable by spell casters (or two handed weapon users) long term without weakening yourself and can actually help in more than one fight? That would be something I would invest in (put in as plus 2 or possibly 3). Of course the plus 3 level 1 spell slots would probably still be better.