PDA

View Full Version : A few ideas for warlock

gooddragon1
2013-10-18, 02:42 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ortesk
2013-10-18, 02:49 PM
Would this make a warlock overpowered...

===

Eldritch blast functions in areas where magic would not but deals half damage in such areas and if the warlock fails to overcome the spell resistance of a target or they have immunity to magic it deals half damage (even in multiple instances of the above conditions the damage is not reduced by more than half).

Invocations function in areas where magic would not and against targets with immunity to magic or for which the warlock fails to penetrate their spell resistance but they do so at reduced effectiveness. The duration for invocations with a duration longer than 1 round per caster level is reduced to 1 round per caster level or is halved if the duration is shorter than 1 round per caster level. Furthermore, the caster level for such invocations is halved.

===

Was just thinking of the OotS comic where the black dragon uses antimagic field.

I like it because AMF is really bad to me. Any spell that beats a whole class is a no no in my games. But let me issue a side argument. I am a warlock, Cast AMF by some means, And hellfire brimstone for 15D6 damage, after having used shatter invocation on the now supressed gear of the enemy? I would destroy his gear because its now considered mundane, then leave my party to pown hammer him if i cant, whyll i shoot hellfire in the safety of my AMF.

Snowbluff
2013-10-18, 02:53 PM
Not overpowered.

Now make it so Warlocks don't have Somatic Components, or at least they can invoke while grappled.

nedz
2013-10-18, 02:57 PM
Sudden Still Spell — Flee the Scene

Snowbluff
2013-10-18, 03:07 PM
Sudden Still Spell — Flee the Scene

I know. I always knew. I am the books curator.

I don't think Warlocks should be shut down by grappling at all. The somatic line seems to be a throwaway line, but some people interpret it to completely screw over the class.

I am not sure myself. They have ASF, but the line about somatic components refers to spells, but the class treats their SLAs like spells for other purposes of somatic components.

gooddragon1
2013-10-18, 04:51 PM
Not overpowered.

Now make it so Warlocks don't have Somatic Components, or at least they can invoke while grappled.

I'd like to balance being able to do stuff in an AMF against the one thing a melee character can do that's mean to a warlock (grapple). So:

Eldritch Radiance
Blast Shape (Lesser)
Level = ?

You channel your eldritch energy into an aura that surrounds you and wards off those who would attempt to wrestle you into submission.

Your eldritch blast deals damage to any enemy you are in physical contact with and deals an extra 2d6 damage to any creature grappling you or that has used an ability similar to swallow whole on you. You may also use this ability to make as many melee touch attacks as your base attack bonus would permit. This invocation requires a full-round action to execute but has no somatic or verbal components and may be used even while grappling or pinned with no concentration check required.

===

Allows glaivelocks to attack adjacent without feats and you can use it even if you're grappled, pinning, paralyzed (as long as you can take actions), etc...

So, what happens is: If they are grappling you they take Blast+2d6 damage. If you can somehow attack while grappling you can deal Blast+2d6 damage again with each attack. If you're pinned you'll just deal Blast+2d6 and not be able to attack but that's better than just sitting there.

===

Modification to Baleful Utterance
Magical items that have lost their magical property due to an antimagic field or similar effect cannot be subject to this ability.

nedz
2013-10-18, 06:10 PM
I know. I always knew. I am the books curator.

I don't think Warlocks should be shut down by grappling at all. The somatic line seems to be a throwaway line, but some people interpret it to completely screw over the class.

I am not sure myself. They have ASF, but the line about somatic components refers to spells, but the class treats their SLAs like spells for other purposes of somatic components.

It's a very old trick, but only appears at level 15 in most builds — which is a tad late.

How would you build a Warlock Grappler ?
Can you use Claws in a grapple ?

IronFist
2013-10-18, 06:13 PM
Allows glaivelocks to attack adjacent without feats and you can use it even if you're grappled, pinning, paralyzed (as long as you can take actions), etc...

Just wanted to point out that a glaivelock can't attack adjacent, not even with freats.

Snowbluff
2013-10-18, 06:32 PM

I would do it by avoiding grappling like a plague.

That aside, I am sure you can use natural attacks in a grapple to shank someone. The Claws are not an invocation, so it should be no problem.

Monk1(*obligatory throw up*)/WarlockAlot/Enlighten Fist/HFW
Use some of that classic cheese (Like Precocious Apprentice) to get Ascetic Mage.

The claws use your Unarmed Damage and Eldritch Blast, so size bonuses, the Fist, and HFW/Legacy Champ can be mixed for optimum damage or a lower cheese level. Add Beast Strike (The Claws are Dragon Mag, so Beast Strike would be allowed) to add your Unarmed Damage again. Size bonuses to taste.

EDIT: Just a heads up, the claws and Hellfire probably don't work together by RAW. I double checked the feat and PrC. Monk it up, I guess. *shrug*

Dr. Azkur
2013-10-18, 08:06 PM

2 Words. 1 Feat. Grappling Blast: you may discharge your eldritch blast against the foe you're grappling when you make a successful grapple check to deal damage, and you gain a circumstance bonus on your next grapple check made within the next round equal to half the damage you deal with your eldritch blast. All for 3d6 in your eldritch blast and Improved Grapple

a w e s o m e

How? I'm thinking El Brujo, the dark luchador. Goliath really seems like a good way to go, even at LA 1. Maybe the good old two-level dip in fighter for the lack of feats or monk, whatever whistles your weasel. You'd need to rely on other melee tricks tactics (Yes, eldritch claws) because of all the grappling implications, but once you went to town, you own the town.

Go check out Shinken's Warlock Melee guide (Praise his soul) for actual details.

nedz
2013-10-18, 08:23 PM
I would do it by avoiding grappling like a plague.

That aside, I am sure you can use natural attacks in a grapple to shank someone. The Claws are not an invocation, so it should be no problem.

Monk1(*obligatory throw up*)/WarlockAlot/Enlighten Fist/HFW
Use some of that classic cheese (Like Precocious Apprentice) to get Ascetic Mage.

The claws use your Unarmed Damage and Eldritch Blast, so size bonuses, the Fist, and HFW/Legacy Champ can be mixed for optimum damage or a lower cheese level. Add Beast Strike (The Claws are Dragon Mag, so Beast Strike would be allowed) to add your Unarmed Damage again. Size bonuses to taste.

EDIT: Just a heads up, the claws and Hellfire probably don't work together by RAW. I double checked the feat and PrC. Monk it up, I guess. *shrug*

So what is Monk 1 giving you other than an alignment of LE ?
Feats ? The unarmed damage isn't worth much, it all sounds a bit like hideous.
It's usually better to go Monk 2 before you bail if you take this course.

2 Words. 1 Feat. Grappling Blast: you may discharge your eldritch blast against the foe you're grappling when you make a successful grapple check to deal damage, and you gain a circumstance bonus on your next grapple check made within the next round equal to half the damage you deal with your eldritch blast. All for 3d6 in your eldritch blast and Improved Grapple

a w e s o m e

How? I'm thinking El Brujo, the dark luchador. Goliath really seems like a good way to go, even at LA 1. Maybe the good old two-level dip in fighter for the lack of feats or monk, whatever whistles your weasel. You'd need to rely on other melee tricks tactics (Yes, eldritch claws) because of all the grappling implications, but once you went to town, you own the town.

Go check out Shinken's Warlock Melee guide (Praise his soul) for actual details.

Grappling Blast — Dragon #358
Nice but you still have to win that first grapple check, oh and iteratives are nice with the grapple rules.

Maybe an Eldritch Disciple is the way to go, with some persistomancy ?

Snowbluff
2013-10-18, 08:29 PM
So what is Monk 1 giving you other than an alignment of LE ?
Feats ? The unarmed damage isn't worth much, it all sounds a bit like hideous.
It's usually better to go Monk 2 before you bail if you take this course.
?

You need stunning fist, which has intolerable prereqs otherwise. :l

IronFist
2013-10-18, 08:32 PM
Maybe an Eldritch Disciple is the way to go, with some persistomancy ?

Eldritch Disciple is the best melee warlock prc. Always.