PDA

View Full Version : bearded devil greater teleport

mindwarper10
2013-10-18, 02:45 PM
So my players are supposed to fight a bearded devil who killed the dude that was supposed to give them their "get out of jail free" card...pretty much literally, save for there not being a card. Anyways, I was wanting the bearded devil to use his greater teleport, grabbing a weapon held by a player, and teleport back with it. How exactly would I go about doing this? because technically he is a higher challenge rating than my group of three should be fighting, so I was wanting it to fight them mockingly. Presumably they will have the aid of two knights to even it out, assuming the older knight doesn't have a heart attack...hehehe...Ah the ways to keep players in the spotlight when fighting alongside temporary powerful companions (since I expect this group to be good aligned due to them being who they are, I don't expect them to actually see how far they have progressed versus the old knight who sees no adventure and has very basic equipment since he saw no need for keeping his old stuff around) who later probably will be aiding them with info...at least tats the plan with the knight...one player I'm not sure what to expect...if he upsets the knight too much...that's one informant down the drain...and this campaign they kind of need some informants...anyways I monologue, hopefully someone can aid me here.

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-18, 02:54 PM
Disarming is an attack action. Maybe give the devil a monk level or two.

mindwarper10
2013-10-18, 03:03 PM
So using teleport,greater against the weapon would count as a disarm attempt? That is kinda how I intend to use it.

Lanson
2013-10-18, 03:04 PM
Technically, you could just give it an adamantine glaive. It can sunder everyone's weapons, then teleport away after spouting some taunts if your party if having too much trouble with it. Making a recurring villain who can later gain class levels and possibly have some plot significance. And if they kill him, oh well, just another boss fight.

Be careful with having your McGuffin npc's with the group. You specifically said they were stronger than the players, if that is truly the case you stand a strong chance of making the characters feel worthless in the fight. Even if the players get the final blow, or the npc's are killed, they might know that without their help, they would have died without them softening the demon up.

Urpriest
2013-10-18, 03:07 PM
So using teleport,greater against the weapon would count as a disarm attempt? That is kinda how I intend to use it.

It can't teleport other people or objects, it says so right there in the description.

The Bearded Devil needs to teleport in, use a standard action to disarm (maybe give it the Improved Disarm feat if you want it to be good at it) then teleport out on its next turn. Using a spell-like ability takes a standard action, while disarming is done in place of an attack so you need to do in on a standard or full attack action.

Is that the sort of input you were looking for? Or were you confused about some other aspect?

mindwarper10
2013-10-18, 03:27 PM
Technically, you could just give it an adamantine glaive. It can sunder everyone's weapons, then teleport away after spouting some taunts if your party if having too much trouble with it. Making a recurring villain who can later gain class levels and possibly have some plot significance. And if they kill him, oh well, just another boss fight.

Be careful with having your McGuffin npc's with the group. You specifically said they were stronger than the players, if that is truly the case you stand a strong chance of making the characters feel worthless in the fight. Even if the players get the final blow, or the npc's are killed, they might know that without their help, they would have died without them softening the demon up.

he's only guiding them through the library, as they are technically not allowed in there since they are under restricted orders. He's more for the story than their aid. Though like I said...one of the players...very unpredictable...and he is the cleric XD
The bearded demon is actually a servant to the reoccurring villain, while they don't have to kill it, it is the idea that they will kill it.
The knights aren't going to be major players in the battle (it's in the library they will be distracted ensuring the safety of the civilians.)

Urpriest
actually it can teleport other people or objects...it says so...in the description that you mention, that's what made me think of the idea... The difference is for people it's WILLING.
It says objects just not specific about objects.

If nothing else I could just DM it, and make it a disarm check.
Since greater, teleport is a standard action he would have to take two rounds to take the weapon and teleport away (one for the disarm, the other for greater teleport)

Sith_Happens
2013-10-18, 04:00 PM
At will— greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 12th.

Once the devil is adjacent to someone, there's two ways it can make off with their weapon:

1. Disarm the weapon, then teleport away on its next turn.

2. Teleport away, making a touch attack against the weapon to attempt to bring it along. If the touch attack hits, the weapon gets a Will save to resist at the higher of its or its wielder's bonus.

mindwarper10
2013-10-18, 04:35 PM
Once the devil is adjacent to someone, there's two ways it can make off with their weapon:

1. Disarm the weapon, then teleport away on its next turn.

2. Teleport away, making a touch attack against the weapon to attempt to bring it along. If the touch attack hits, the weapon gets a Will save to resist at the higher of its or its wielder's bonus.

yeah 50lbs. that's what his is, forgot that part of his spell-like ability. but still, in regards to the other person, I am technically still right on being able to bring objects.

I think your #2 method is what's giving me the problem, how does one come across saves for weapons? I might be overlooking it in the dm guide, because I know how sundering works... but I very rarely use anything that affects equipment, and usually it specifically details how it does, and I like using things in an alternate but not technically incorrect way. Such as what I am trying to accomplish now.

Jack_Simth
2013-10-18, 05:21 PM
yeah 50lbs. that's what his is, forgot that part of his spell-like ability. but still, in regards to the other person, I am technically still right on being able to bring objects.

I think your #2 method is what's giving me the problem, how does one come across saves for weapons? I might be overlooking it in the dm guide, because I know how sundering works... but I very rarely use anything that affects equipment, and usually it specifically details how it does, and I like using things in an alternate but not technically incorrect way. Such as what I am trying to accomplish now.
Objects use their attender's saves, if better than their own (which will usually be the case). Nonmagical objects don't get saves unless attended (and then use the attender's save). Magical objects get saves as a monk (with no ability bonuses unless they are intelligent, and then just will) of their caster level (so a +1 Sword, which has a caster level of 3, would have a save bonus of +3. See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems).

mindwarper10
2013-10-18, 06:04 PM
Objects use their attender's saves, if better than their own (which will usually be the case). Nonmagical objects don't get saves unless attended (and then use the attender's save). Magical objects get saves as a monk (with no ability bonuses unless they are intelligent, and then just will) of their caster level (so a +1 Sword, which has a caster level of 3, would have a save bonus of +3. See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems).

lol I feel like a retard now...that is page 214 of the dmg...
anyways thank you
and thank everyone who answered me, I think I have what I need.