PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Character Help

Callin
2013-10-18, 03:03 PM
So Im trying to make a Gun Fighting Inquisitor. Do ya'll think its even possible?
All Pathfinder is available as is DSP.

Stats and such so far are

I like the stat allocation I set up but here it is for completness sake, and for tips.
25pt buy Half Elf (8, 18, 14, 12, 16, 10)

Half Elf is not set in stone, but Im starting to Dig it.

Lvl 1 Inquisitor with the Infiltrator and Black Powder Inquisition ACFs. I didnt want to step on the toes too much of the rest of the group. We have a Ranger, Paladin, Alchemist, and Synthesis Summoner. GM said there was enough Melee and wanted something ranged. I dont want a Caster and Bows are boring lol. So I am trying to make it work.

I have only taken 1 Trait from the AP we are running. That one is considered "Free". So I can still take 2 more. I am in talks to get those converted to changing out the Half Elf Adaptability and being able to grab a Combat Feat.

Was going to grab Point Blank Shot at First Level and if its gets swung. Precise Shot. Then I was thinking I was gonna have to Dip Gunslinger to get Grit and Deeds at lvl 2 and then pick up Rapid Reload at lvl 3 and Deadly Aim at lvl 6. This way im getting it faster than waiting for lvl 3 Amateur Gunslinger and then lvl 6 Rapid Reload.

What do yall think.

Will be back in a few hours to check in on this (RL stuff) and will see the Genius of the Forum at work. I love you guys.

grarrrg
2013-10-18, 03:49 PM
Dip Gunslinger to get Grit and Deeds at lvl 2 and then pick up Rapid Reload at lvl 3 and Deadly Aim at lvl 6. This way im getting it faster than waiting for lvl 3 Amateur Gunslinger and then lvl 6 Rapid Reload.

Pathfinder feats come every ODD level, not every 3rd.
And I was going to suggest a dip in Gunslinger anyway, as it is the quickest way to "get started".
If you do dip Gunslinger, than you may be better off taking Gunslinger as your 1st level, and then going Inquisitor and skipping Black Powder Inquisition entirely, as there is a LOT of overlap there. Would also recommend going with the Pistolero archetype in this case, as you don't lose much, and gain an occasional +1d6 damage.

Callin
2013-10-18, 06:01 PM
GM is just letting me exchange Adaptability for Ancestral Arms and take Exotic Weapon Prof (Firearms). Then trade that out for Point Blank when I get Exotic Weapon Prof (Firearms) from Black Powder Inquisition.

So I still have 2 traits to pick if I so choose.

Also will most likely be able to exchange Gunsmith for another feat if I do multiclass into Gunslinger since I will gain Gunsmith again. If that happens, is going that route looking better?

Callin
2013-10-18, 09:26 PM
No more help huh? Thanks for the info grarrg.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-19, 01:34 AM
You seem to have a pretty good handle on things, and there honestly isn't that much to what you can do with guns. At least not that much crazy stuff.

What level of guns are available to you, and how common are they in the world.

Callin
2013-10-19, 06:11 AM
Im guessing sorta rare. Its the adventure where we shipwreck in some jungle area.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-19, 08:22 AM
Im guessing sorta rare. Its the adventure where we shipwreck in some jungle area.Then that may be a little bit of a problem. Guns work best when they are at least somewhat accessible to you, or if you have time to be a little gunpowder factory so that you can fund the creation of the items that you want.

grarrrg
2013-10-19, 09:41 AM
Then that may be a little bit of a problem. Guns work best when they are at least somewhat accessible to you, or if you have time to be a little gunpowder factory so that you can fund the creation of the items that you want.

Well, at the very worst, Gunslingers are still proficient with all Martial weapons, and Inquisitors are "Mr. Do ANYTHING", so....he should be OK if ammo is limited, save the guns for the opening attack, then switch up to Melee.

Thrair
2013-10-19, 11:57 AM
Kind of standard with any Firearms build, but be sure to pick up Clustered Shots (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/combat-feats/clustered-shots-combat) once damage reduction starts showing up. It prevents your damage from suffering too badly once you start running into things with high DR. This, ofc, assumes Rapid Reload.

Kregen
2013-10-19, 12:15 PM
The biggest issue with Gunslingers is the money for the ammunition. Or at least the ability and resources to make your ammo. If the GM will help you out on that since he wants a ranged guy then I'd go Gunslinger for 3, 4 or 5 levels (Pistol Whip at 3rd, a bonus feat at 4th, Gun Training at 5th that lets you add dex modifier to damage).

Callin
2013-10-19, 12:17 PM
Kind of standard with any Firearms build, but be sure to pick up Clustered Shots (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/combat-feats/clustered-shots-combat) once damage reduction starts showing up. It prevents your damage from suffering too badly once you start running into things with high DR. This, ofc, assumes Rapid Reload.

Forgot all about that feat. Yea will get that one for sure.

Thrair
2013-10-19, 12:45 PM
The biggest issue with Gunslingers is the money for the ammunition. Or at least the ability and resources to make your ammo. If the GM will help you out on that since he wants a ranged guy then I'd go Gunslinger for 3, 4 or 5 levels (Pistol Whip at 3rd, a bonus feat at 4th, Gun Training at 5th that lets you add dex modifier to damage).

I'll be honest, I have a soft spot for Divine "Gish" builds. Although typically flat Cleric does the job better if specialized for front-line and prepped for it, spell-wise. Battle/Metal Oracle also works.

I just wish certain Prestiges like Rage Prophet were more viable. :( Amazing concept, ****ty execution.

Callin
2013-10-19, 01:08 PM
Well I already tried to be a Magus and he said no since everyone else was basically melee. Im the last to join in the game so I gotta take what I can get. I didnt want to go Full Caster and overshadow anyone. (First time with this group, so first impressions are nice)

I still need another good trait. I have Two-World Magic right now to give me Prestidigitation. (Love this spell btw, hope I can do as much with it in Pathfinder as I can in 3.5 lol)

For spells so far I have
0- Acid Splash (yuk I know but with only being able to fire off a shot every other round I might need to toss out 1-3 damage in a pinch), Create Water (drinking is good), Prestidigitation (Lesser Lesser Wish), Resistance (not sure about this one honestly)

1- Cure Light Wounds (just in case, yes I know in combat healing sucks), Command (not sure about this one. wanted something I could pull out as an ace in the hole, this fit but suggestions are more than welcome!)

Didnt want to use buff spells yet but I am going to get them. I sorta wanted my spells to be used if I needed them right now. Not ok first round Buff next round shoot, next load, next shoot, ect ect. Then not have the spell for the next combat.

Kregen
2013-10-19, 01:25 PM
Detect Magic and Light are good 0 level spells (especially if many can't see in the dark).
Doom and Cause Fear are good.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-10-19, 01:33 PM
So for ranged builds I almost always suggest going Human as not having Precise Shot is a pain.

For a gun user I would suggest you try to gain Dex to Damage. That'll require 5 levels of Gunslinger or 3 levels of Fighter (Trench Fighter). Either option will slow down your spell casting if that's important to you.

If you're more interested in the Judgement & Tracking mechanics, you should also look at the Shield Marshal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/shieldmarshal) prestige class.

Callin
2013-10-19, 01:46 PM
That Trench Fighter is Nice.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-19, 02:06 PM
Well I already tried to be a Magus and he said no since everyone else was basically melee. Im the last to join in the game so I gotta take what I can get. I didnt want to go Full Caster and overshadow anyone. (First time with this group, so first impressions are nice)

I still need another good trait. I have Two-World Magic right now to give me Prestidigitation. (Love this spell btw, hope I can do as much with it in Pathfinder as I can in 3.5 lol)

For spells so far I have
0- Acid Splash (yuk I know but with only being able to fire off a shot every other round I might need to toss out 1-3 damage in a pinch), Create Water (drinking is good), Prestidigitation (Lesser Lesser Wish), Resistance (not sure about this one honestly)

1- Cure Light Wounds (just in case, yes I know in combat healing sucks), Command (not sure about this one. wanted something I could pull out as an ace in the hole, this fit but suggestions are more than welcome!)

Didnt want to use buff spells yet but I am going to get them. I sorta wanted my spells to be used if I needed them right now. Not ok first round Buff next round shoot, next load, next shoot, ect ect. Then not have the spell for the next combat.Yeah, Inquisitors don't have the greatest spell list. Rather than Acid Splash or Resistance, I would recommend
- Detect Magic (Unless you have another caster who an do it)
- Guidance
- Light

Especially Guidance. It gives you the same +1 bonus to saves as Resistance, but it isn't a resistance bonus so it can stack with things later on. Oh, and it can be used for just about any other d20 roll, too.

For 1st level spells, I would recommend Magic Weapon, Longshot, True Strike, Cause Fear, or Divine Favor over Cure Light Wounds (at least as your first spell).

Ravens_cry
2013-10-19, 02:10 PM
I recommend a wand of cure light wounds. It's cheap at 750 gold for 50d8 worth of healing.

Callin
2013-10-19, 02:21 PM
Yes the wand is cheap but out of reach for a starting Character. And I dont really like the Cause Fear 5HD Cap. HD Caps tend to keep me away from those spells.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-19, 02:28 PM
Yes the wand is cheap but out of reach for a starting Character. And I dont really like the Cause Fear 5HD Cap. HD Caps tend to keep me away from those spells.
Not really, though it does eat a trait. Take the Rich Parents (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/rich-parents) trait.

Callin
2013-10-19, 02:37 PM
True.. maybe I can refluff it. I need another trait anyways...

Ravens_cry
2013-10-19, 02:46 PM
True.. maybe I can refluff it. I need another trait anyways...
What kind of fluff do you need?
There is also the mechanically identical Chosen Child, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/chosen-child-po-li) and I think there is one that is very similar that assumes you were once a thief of some kind. I can't find it though.

Callin
2013-10-19, 02:59 PM
Fluff is always mutable for me. lol.

This guy started as a Divine using Pirate and is now a chosen Follower of Cayden Cailean.
Still a sailor of the high seas and lover of adventure. Still has no problems with Pirates. He is from Sanghor.

Still debating on puttin my Favored Class into Skills or HP. I have 10hps right now and 7 skills. OCD says do no put it in hps lol.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-19, 03:01 PM
Yes the wand is cheap but out of reach for a starting Character. And I dont really like the Cause Fear 5HD Cap. HD Caps tend to keep me away from those spells.I'm not a fan of them either. It's just that Cause Fear is one of those spells where even if the target saves you'll still have inflicted a negative status on them for a little bit, and if they fail the save then you've won.

Kregen
2013-10-19, 05:56 PM
And by the time you are fighting 6th level things you won't be using many 1st level spells anyways. Cause Fear is great for the first several levels. Can be a party saver.