PDA

View Full Version : Complimenting My Party

Ortesk
2013-10-18, 03:58 PM
So in 1 week im DM'ing a group which is Low Op and they want me to play a character, since there used to DM's doing just that. So for my party im wondering what will be a good supporter but not hog the spotlight. We have a warlock, fighter, warblade, ninja, and healer, So basically anything good but not over the top. I was almost thinking a crusader or a monk since i do tend to use more brutes on the party, and the warblade will be holding back per my request

Frosty
2013-10-18, 04:06 PM
To compliment the party, say things like, "You're doing a great job, keep it up!" :smallwink:

To complement them, a bard provides some healing and buffs to party.

Palanan
2013-10-18, 04:09 PM
"Hey, guys, just love the way you roll!"

Sorry. I had to.

:smallbiggrin:

As for something to complement your party...well, the standard Playground response would be that the warblade is going to stand head and shoulders above pretty much everything else in the group.

Since your group is a little thin on arcane magic, you might consider a beguiler, who can handle the basics but won't be too overpowering in comparison to most of the others.

ryu
2013-10-18, 04:10 PM
So in 1 week im DM'ing a group which is Low Op and they want me to play a character, since there used to DM's doing just that. So for my party im wondering what will be a good supporter but not hog the spotlight. We have a warlock, fighter, warblade, ninja, and healer, So basically anything good but not over the top. I was almost thinking a crusader or a monk since i do tend to use more brutes on the party, and the warblade will be holding back per my request

I'm seeing a frightening lack of BFC effects going on in there. I'd recommend the more gentle version of god wizard I taught you about who doesn't start using any of the shenanigans I taught you directly after that. This party isn't ready for the army of the world's smallest ice assassin dragons covered in contingent magic. Having a guy to set dudes up should still be appreciated though.

Red Fel
2013-10-18, 04:16 PM
You mention you'd be interested in a Crusader. I think that's a great idea. Between Devoted Spirit to tank and augment healing, and White Raven to really help the melees (fighter, warblade, ninja) shine, you'll be in a very solid place. The Warblade won't have to hold back if you embrace the idea of being a supporting melee, instead of a primary melee.

Admittedly, this will make your fighter and ninja turn green. But they chose their classes.

If you're interested in branching into a spellcasting class, while maintaining your melee-focus, you might consider a few Bard variants, or the Duskblade. Duskblade, like ToB classes, is good right out of the box and can be played well without having to dip, but it adds spells and has abilities that remove the arcane spell failure of heavier armors. Because it's melee-oriented, your spells won't be as overwhelmingly powerful as those of a Wizard or Sorcerer, but you can still substantially add to the pain while contributing in melee.

Ortesk
2013-10-18, 04:20 PM
Yes guys typo and my mistake. And thanks for the help everyone. But for reference, im having the warblade hold back for the fighter and ninja (there newish players, hes my uncle and taught me the game. i dont want him out pacing them, m fine being outpaced) And i was looking at a BFC monk or crusader actually, figuring make him hellbred maybe slap vow of peace as a flaw on him so he can be of 0 threat to the party spotlight, maybe vow of silence for extra fun :P

@Ryu you are my hero, but im the DM for gods sake. Even some of your ideas will make my players cry DMPC at me

Shred-Bot
2013-10-18, 04:21 PM
Clearly you want a custom base class that dual-wields katanas, gets full arcane and divine casting, and has the entire plot revolve around him!

Back to serious-land, Bard is a good choice, but try to avoid acting as the party face (since you'll probably have the highest cha and best social skills) as you'll just end up talking to yourself all game.

Marshal would also be a good choice here, your auras will help the players so they can hog the spotlight instead of you. :smallbiggrin:

ryu
2013-10-18, 04:25 PM
Yes guys typo and my mistake. And thanks for the help everyone. But for reference, im having the warblade hold back for the fighter and ninja (there newish players, hes my uncle and taught me the game. i dont want him out pacing them, m fine being outpaced) And i was looking at a BFC monk or crusader actually, figuring make him hellbred maybe slap vow of peace as a flaw on him so he can be of 0 threat to the party spotlight, maybe vow of silence for extra fun :P

@Ryu you are my hero, but im the DM for gods sake. Even some of your ideas will make my players cry DMPC at me

Which is why you don't use the best ones. Just make a guy somewhat decent at stopping things from moving. I said they weren't ready for how I play, but a good number of them are rocking things in the T3 range at least.

GoodPilgrim
2013-10-18, 04:26 PM
Given that the party already has 5, and that you'll be DMing as well, I suggest something that takes the lowest toll on yourself. You don't need a character that you have to worry about too much as well as the worry about the campaign as a whole. Bard might be best to fill in the arcane-gap as well as to be simply a supporter. However, if your group prefers more in-depth storytelling-style play, Bard being a Charismabot would WANT to take attention (unless you played him right), so I might suggest something like Monk, played to be in only a supporting role.

Ortesk
2013-10-18, 04:35 PM
This campaign is going to be story driven more than anything else, Which is why im gonna make whatever i play have a very Bhuddist feel to it. Bard and marshall actually look very good, but as was pointed out i may favor marshall or a BFC tank since less likely to want to be glory hogs with RP

Fax Celestis
2013-10-18, 04:56 PM
Play a marshal or dragon shaman. They don't get played often and you won't have any issues with potentially outshining your party, but you'll still be able to provide your party with some support.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-10-18, 06:37 PM
Since you are the dm, and you already have 5 players, the best option is probably to not play at all and instead focus on being the dungeon master. The dm showing up with a character to adventure with the party will cause many groups to immediately rebel against that npc or the dm. The last thing you want is to alienate your players. Presumably they understand the importance of creating a balanced party, and will take steps to ensure their bases are covered, even if they are mistaken as to which classes are genuinely powerful.

DMVerdandi
2013-10-19, 07:22 PM
Play as a generic spellcaster/war-weaver. Focus on buffing, support, warding and healing. Perhaps only cast those and the occasional wand offensive spell when necessary.

Also roleplaying as a less than brave person in the thick of things, but a fine side-liner helps.

Alternatively if you want more variety, an archivist works too or wizard.
Divine spells have better buffs though and better healing, so that is the trade.

Ortesk
2013-10-19, 08:21 PM
Since you are the dm, and you already have 5 players, the best option is probably to not play at all and instead focus on being the dungeon master. The dm showing up with a character to adventure with the party will cause many groups to immediately rebel against that npc or the dm. The last thing you want is to alienate your players. Presumably they understand the importance of creating a balanced party, and will take steps to ensure their bases are covered, even if they are mistaken as to which classes are genuinely powerful.

Actually my players want me playing, Mainly because they like seeing builds pan out and new ways to do old tricks, as my players put it. I usually dont play/DM at the same time, not because i meta game but because i feel im robbing a cool concept by never speaking up. But again my players are asking for me to play, and my big rule is its there game, im just the narrator

IronFist
2013-10-19, 08:24 PM
I recommend a Marshall or Dragon Shaman.

theIrkin
2013-10-19, 10:04 PM
You could also pull out a factotum or rogue to help shore up their skill checks and have some limited buffing spells (rogue would UMD)

Andry
2013-10-19, 10:56 PM
+1 to factotum or rogue

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-19, 10:58 PM
Agree with factotum.

XmonkTad
2013-10-20, 10:11 AM
If you're new to DMing you might want to play an artificer. That way players could ask you for the magic stuff they want, and you could hang back during combat doing BfC stuff. You could just RP the character as being totally absent minded, and having craft rather than knowledge skills so you don't metagame and give answers away.