PDA

View Full Version : Possible super prude mode?

gooddragon1
2013-10-18, 04:36 PM
Is it possible for there to be an option checkbox in user CP that would disallow any even remotely questionable ads? If not is it possible for me to use adblock on this site without any problems?

Mando Knight
2013-10-18, 04:54 PM
The only thing Adblock would do (theoretically, presuming a standard filter) on GiantitP is block the ads. But that would mean less revenue (as the advertisers would bid less on the site because of reduced views). {SCRUBBED}

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-18, 05:25 PM
Your User CP has nothing at all to do with the ads that are displayed on this site. Also, different people will have differing opinions on what is considered "remotely questionable" since that is 100% subjective.

That being said, Adblock does work on this site without any problems.

Rawhide
2013-10-19, 02:55 AM
The Hairy Modfather: Please do not suggest using or making any scripts attempting to "cheat" Project Wonderful. We do not want you to try to raise the number of views or clicks through artificial means.

The site will continue to operate correctly even if you block the adverts with an ad blocking program. However, this will mean that the adverts get less views, less unique views, and less clicks, which in turn will mean that they are less attractive to advertisers and will earn less to help offset the cost of the forums.

We are not going to try to stop you from blocking the adverts, however we do urge you to consider keeping them unblocked. Animated advertising is prohibited, as is interactive advertising and audio advertising. No advertising that is NSFW is permitted, nor are scam sites. Sometimes an advert in violation of these rules sneaks through, but those are quickly knocked on the head after people report them in the Inappropriate Ads thread.

The adverts are specifically targeted to this site. Advertisers see what type of site this is, and rent space for their product if they think it is appropriate to the audience. No direct targeting is done on a per user level, only on a per website level. As such, much of the advertising is highly relevant to the users of the forum. As much as I thought I was going to hate it, I have actually been directed to many interesting sites, and quite a few good webcomics which I now frequent.

The advertisements are completely separate to the control panel, there is nothing in the control panel which can control the advertisements, and there is nothing on Project Wonderful which allows a visitor to control the advertisements. You could, however, block individual images when you see them, just be sure not to block the whole site or advertisement banner if you would still like to see the others.