PDA

View Full Version : Playing a one-armed character (Pathfinder)

The Oni
2013-10-18, 04:58 PM
So I'm playing a one-armed Tiefling Barbarian. His missing arm is part of his backstory and he can't regenerate it in any way. The fluff basically involves that random Tiefling trait that gives you oversized arms so that you can wield Large weapons with no penalty. Since that's the most obviously unnatural part of his heritage, a crazy Inquisitor decided to try and "purge" the evil from him by burning one of his damn arms off with some kind of holy fire.

Now, because this is a roleplay-heavy group I'm not looking to negate the penalties of being one-armed, but I am looking to mitigate them. He has a Large Flying Blade attached to one arm that he is currently modifying to also function as a grappling hook so he can climb better, for instance.

He's pretty bad at *actually* grappling, though, and I was wondering if there were any feats that might allow such a character to perform grapples or similar combat maneuvers one-handed.

rockdeworld
2013-10-18, 08:22 PM
There are not, because losing a limb is not a part of normal gameplay (vorpal aside). On that note, why is your character bad at grappling?

Keneth
2013-10-18, 08:36 PM
^ I'm wondering the same thing. Missing an arm doesn't affect grappling or any other maneuvers for that matter. :smallconfused:

Crustypeanut
2013-10-18, 08:50 PM
You need two hands free to grapple without penalty. Obviously, one of his hands is missing :P

Ravens_cry
2013-10-18, 08:58 PM
There is some third party prosthetics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/variant-rules-3rd-party/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/The-Loss-of-a-Body-Part/Prosthetics) you might want to look at.
TWF with improved unarmed strike for the other attack could also work, I think.

Hylas
2013-10-18, 09:15 PM
I believe there's some feats that let you grapple while using a whip, and a whip is a one handed weapon. Maybe you could use those feats with your grappling hook?

Ravens_cry
2013-10-18, 09:43 PM
I believe there's some feats that let you grapple while using a whip, and a whip is a one handed weapon. Maybe you could use those feats with your grappling hook?
Sounds like Greater Whip Mastery. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-whip-mastery-combat)

Devronq
2013-10-18, 09:47 PM
^ I'm wondering the same thing. Missing an arm doesn't affect grappling or any other maneuvers for that matter. :smallconfused:

I could be wrong but in fairly confident there is a massive penalty to grappling with only one arm like -10 or something like that. Away from books but il check when I'm home.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-18, 09:58 PM
I could be wrong but in fairly confident there is a massive penalty to grappling with only one arm like -10 or something like that. Away from books but il check when I'm home.

Humanoid creatures without two free hands attempting to grapple a foe take a –4 penalty on the combat maneuver roll. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Grapple)
I guess by RAW that means Aasimar make awesome one handed grapplers, but I wouldn't try it without a Broach of (Book) Sheilding.:smalltongue:

Rhatahema
2013-10-18, 10:06 PM
Unless you're interested in building a dedicated grappler, I would just focus on escaping a grapple. Get a high escape artist check, invest in some short range teleportation effect, that sort of thing.

Keneth
2013-10-18, 10:14 PM
Huh, I've never noticed the caveat about humanoids trying to grapple with one hand. Probably because I only use grapple on monsters which don't have this problem. :smallbiggrin:

The penalty does only apply to grapple though, all other maneuvers should still be unaffected. And a -4 penalty isn't that bad.

Scumbaggery
2013-10-18, 11:25 PM
Take levels in Knight.

Abuse your code and, instead of grappling, challenge your foes to glorious arm wrestling competitions.

edit: assuming you can use and 3.5 material. Dunno if there is a knight in PF

Ravens_cry
2013-10-18, 11:46 PM
Take levels in Knight.

Abuse your code and, instead of grappling, challenge your foes to glorious arm wrestling competitions.

edit: assuming you can use and 3.5 material. Dunno if there is a knight in PF
There is the Cavalier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier), though I can't say how similar the two classes are.

Yogibear41
2013-10-19, 12:00 AM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2750.0

You have the Technology magic, you can rebuild youreslf :smallsmile:

Runestar
2013-10-19, 12:34 AM
Or simply just not grapple? Why would any character intentionally favour a fighting style in which he clearly has a clear disadvantage in?

You could try to pay for grafts (not sure if that goes against the spirit of roleplaying). Apart from that, aside from receiving a minor damage penalty from not using 2-handed weapons, and some skill check penalties, I don't really see what disadvantages there are, unless your DM introduces a lot of fight scenes that take place while you are climbing? :smalltongue: