PDA

View Full Version : Account Email Address

Leonardo
2013-10-18, 05:31 PM
I tried to remove my email address from my account (for reasons that would spill over into real world politics, so nobody ask), and the field is marked optional, but it would not let me because it said the field is required. Could this be fixed or clarified?

Renegade Paladin
2013-10-18, 06:13 PM
Editing the e-mail address is optional, hence it saying "Edit Email Address (Optional)" above the field, but you must have one on file for password resets and so forth. If vBulletin is anything like phpBB or the other web board systems I've administered, this is not something that the website owners can readily change.

NerdyKris
2013-10-18, 08:04 PM
You're free to put a fake email in there, but it needs an email address for password resets.

Many people make a throwaway account with GMail for this purpose, only checking it when needing a password reset.

Rawhide
2013-10-19, 02:37 AM
Editing the e-mail address is optional, hence it saying "Edit Email Address (Optional)" above the field, but you must have one on file for password resets and so forth.

Correct.

You're free to put a fake email in there, but it needs an email address for password resets.

Incorrect. Your account will be locked until you click an activation link sent to your new email address. A fake email address will not work.