PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weapon Spell?

GC_Southpaw
2013-10-18, 11:44 PM
Okay. I was looking into this spell. The description says that it adds a +1 enhancement bonus onto a weapon or ammunition. What I would like to know, however, is if I can add a special quality (considering that the quality in particular, bane, requires a +1 enhancement bonus.) I realize its only temporary effect.

I've looked in bunch of places and since nothing turns up, I assume you can't do it. Help would be much appreciated.

Story
2013-10-18, 11:47 PM
No you can't. If you're playing Pathfinder though, there is a similar spell that can.

Alabenson
2013-10-19, 12:16 AM
While the spell magic weapon can't add a special ability, there is a first level artificer infusion that can do that.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-19, 12:17 AM
No you can't. If you're playing Pathfinder though, there is a similar spell that can.
Oh? Which spell is this?

Story
2013-10-19, 12:39 AM
Turns out I misremembered. It's a 3rd party spell. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/super-genius-games---3rd-party-spells/arcane-forge)

GC_Southpaw
2013-10-19, 12:51 AM
I see, thanks.

Thing is, I'm a DM in a high level campaign. A fairly new player wanted to match my nauseatingly munchkin players. I'm trying to help her, but she really wanted to play a knife thrower. (Master Thrower PrC) While that in itself was a pain, I wanted to giver her an item approximated with the "Magic Items Estimated Gold Value Table." I was looking at the spell so that way, she can add whatever bonus+1 required quality she wanted to her shuriken as a fight starts. I don't think infusions can be made into an item that way (unless I'm wrong).

I realize I'm the DM and I can houserule it, but I'm a bit of a rules lawyer and tend to stick to the book(s) whenever possible.

Seclora
2013-10-19, 01:49 AM
Magic Weapon can't, but there are spells that will do a lot of the most commonly used enchantments, Keen for instance.

Or you could just try
http://dndtools.eu/spells/unapproachable-east--33/bladebane--3472/
this spell.

Xerlith
2013-10-19, 05:34 AM
Knife Thrower?
Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade, dual wielding kukris, focusing on Iron Heart and Tiger Claw.
The class is much better than the Master Thrower.

GC_Southpaw
2013-10-19, 11:08 AM
Well, she wanted to go with master thrower because she could (if I gave her an appropriate item) Throw six projectiles with six different qualities. Cheesy? Yeah, but I'm trying to match my annoyingly min maxed players. Plus shuriken count as ammunition and are cheap as can be. That's why master thrower. Besides, I outlawed book of nine swords from the start because I had a player abusing it a while back.

That spell could work for bane, but given it's supposed to be an unlimited item. (She's a new player, the harm is more negated then you'd think) that material component is expensive. That brings me back to this question. Are infusions considered magic and thus fair game for magic items?

Curmudgeon
2013-10-19, 01:19 PM
That brings me back to this question. Are infusions considered magic and thus fair game for magic items?
Infusions are magic directly injected into an item. The knife thrower would need either be the character generating the infusions, or be around that character to get the infusions. As an example, the Item Alteration infusion, which is what would let a weapon spiffed up with a numerical enhancement bonus from Greater Magic Weapon have some other type of magical bonus, lasts 10 minutes/level.

Xerlith
2013-10-19, 01:30 PM
Besides, I outlawed book of nine swords from the start because I had a player abusing it a while back.

I am curious now.

GC_Southpaw
2013-10-19, 05:49 PM
So then the infusion can't be generated by a magic item then? That's fine.

The book of nine swords, because of its premise, gives melee classing that huge power boost that I equate to casters, to a certain extent. That's fine, but when all of my players get to the point that they've negated a fight of a challenge level HIGHER than they need, there's a problem. It's not even my DM skills, though I'm not in the top 10. One of my players in particular finds weird combos and such that makes something way too powerful. (Not TOB, but at one point he had turned a bard into a death machine.)

I guess I'll just have to houserule something.

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-19, 05:53 PM
There are magic items that produce infusions - schemas. They're essentially infusion scrolls.

No rules for making command-word infusion items, but seriously, you're the DM, it's your decision.

Xerlith
2013-10-19, 06:24 PM
So then the infusion can't be generated by a magic item then? That's fine.

The book of nine swords, because of its premise, gives melee classing that huge power boost that I equate to casters, to a certain extent. That's fine, but when all of my players get to the point that they've negated a fight of a challenge level HIGHER than they need, there's a problem. It's not even my DM skills, though I'm not in the top 10. One of my players in particular finds weird combos and such that makes something way too powerful. (Not TOB, but at one point he had turned a bard into a death machine.)

I guess I'll just have to houserule something.

It's easier to offset than you think:

1) Bring higher-level challenges, but give out the Xp as if it was a normal CR encounter.
2) Bring in enemies that have Initiator levels.

That's it. I've been able to succesfully challenge my tob-using optimizing players. You should be too.

Telok
2013-10-19, 09:16 PM
The book of nine swords, because of its premise, gives melee classing that huge power boost that I equate to casters, to a certain extent. That's fine, but when all of my players get to the point that they've negated a fight of a challenge level HIGHER than they need, there's a problem.

I'm having a difficult time understanding this.

Do your players break the game with Tome of Battle maneuvers but not with wizards, clerics, or druids? Or do you object to the supernatural maneuvers and the maneuvers that replace feat chains?

Xerlith
2013-10-20, 05:45 AM
I have the feeling that it's just the hardcoded guy at the gym fallacy in work. Nothing to say here, move on to the topic.

Except that you should un-ban the ToB, srsly. CORE has more broken things than the ToB, come on.