PDA

View Full Version : Masterwork Tools 3.5 Crafting

Tibbaerrohwen
2013-10-19, 07:29 AM
This is just a point of general curiosity. Perhaps I've skipped over something, but I can't seem to find a craft DC or associated skill with Masterwork Tools.

Is it possible to craft a masterwork tool? If so, what is the DC and what is the associated craft skill?

Thank.

Boci
2013-10-19, 07:39 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm

Creating Masterwork Items

You can make a masterwork item—a weapon, suit of armor, shield, or tool that conveys a bonus on its use through its exceptional craftsmanship, not through being magical. To create a masterwork item, you create the masterwork component as if it were a separate item in addition to the standard item. The masterwork component has its own price (300 gp for a weapon or 150 gp for a suit of armor or a shield) and a Craft DC of 20. Once both the standard component and the masterwork component are completed, the masterwork item is finished. Note: The cost you pay for the masterwork component is one-third of the given amount, just as it is for the cost in raw materials.

I'm pretty sure masterworks tools are 50gp, so add that to the cost of the crafting and make the DC 20 for that part I think. Not the most elegantly handled.

Tibbaerrohwen
2013-10-28, 10:19 AM
Awesome. Just the info I was looking for.

Which craft skill would be used for making tools?

Thanks.

Cirrylius
2013-10-28, 10:33 AM
Awesome. Just the info I was looking for.

Which craft skill would be used for making tools?

Thanks.

I'd guess Craft (carpentry), (blacksmithing), (glassblowing), or (leatherwork), depending on what the tool or set of tools is mostly made of.

...although I'm not sure what you'd use for something like a masterwork healer's kit. Craft (alchemy)?

TuggyNE
2013-10-28, 05:39 PM
I'd guess Craft (carpentry), (blacksmithing), (glassblowing), or (leatherwork), depending on what the tool or set of tools is mostly made of.

...although I'm not sure what you'd use for something like a masterwork healer's kit. Craft (alchemy)?

Alchemy requires being a spellcaster, and the healer's kit is more of cloths, ointments, needles/thread, and other such things than volatile chemicals and arcane reagents. So I'd suggest using something generic like Craft (fine* tools). Or just subbing Heal in.

* Fine as in delicate, not high-quality.