PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: TOB Homebrew

FullmetalGamer
2013-10-19, 10:30 AM
I am looking for a Homebrew that is based on the Maneuvers of the TOB and the three base classes inside. Something that allows access to all 9 Disciplines and gains a fair number of maneuvers by level 20, perhaps has a 'Playbook' or something like a Wizard's spellbook and allows the class to ready only a few but had a good active recovery, something that doesn't hit a dead spot in combat where you had no Maneuvers or tricks.

Amnoriath
2013-10-19, 10:43 AM
I am looking for a Homebrew that is based on the Maneuvers of the TOB and the three base classes inside. Something that allows access to all 9 Disciplines and gains a fair number of maneuvers by level 20, perhaps has a 'Playbook' or something like a Wizard's spellbook and allows the class to ready only a few but had a good active recovery, something that doesn't hit a dead spot in combat where you had no Maneuvers or tricks.

Well you aren't going to get all three in the same package, otherwise there is little reason to take anything if it is allowed. A while back on the Wizard's community site someone made a Blade Scholar in which he can learn from all 9 nine disciplines from a manual.
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1143716
As for consistency you may want to look at other specific themed homebrew classes with only a couple of disciplines. Here is some homebrew disciplines and Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium should point you to such classes.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255468

FullmetalGamer
2013-10-19, 10:47 AM
If its pointless to play a martial character after a few levels then why is there any martial classes period? Why would anyone take a fighter when after a few levels you might as well stay at the bar the Wizard or Cleric can handle this whole session solo.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-19, 12:05 PM
I think the idea was "why would you play any other maneuver-using class if one class exists that can access all disciplines?"

FullmetalGamer
2013-10-19, 12:36 PM
Yes because Martial players should be happy with scraps at mid to high levels. That's a great balance.

Just because you can LEARN a ton of Maneuvers doesn't mean you can ready then all at once or recover them effectively.

Amnoriath
2013-10-19, 12:47 PM
If its pointless to play a martial character after a few levels then why is there any martial classes period? Why would anyone take a fighter when after a few levels you might as well stay at the bar the Wizard or Cleric can handle this whole session solo.

No, that isn't the point at all. It is like what Grod said, why play a Warblade, Crusader, or Swordsage when something has automatic access to all nine and still can run around with its own special features while having no contingent restraints plus an easy recovery?

FullmetalGamer
2013-10-19, 12:54 PM
Ok I will write this more clearly
They can LEARN any Discipline.
But might not have as many Maneuvers Ready or Granted per level as them. As well as likely having no Recovery Mechanic till after battle probably once a day. Think a Wizard with his spells.

again this was just a random idea, if you want nearly all Disciplines just Gestalt Swordsage with Warblade and use Martial Study to gain Maneuvers from Devoted Spirit which I believe is the only one who doesn't get added to either of those.

Amnoriath
2013-10-19, 01:06 PM
Yes because Martial players should be happy with scraps at mid to high levels. That's a great balance.

Just because you can LEARN a ton of Maneuvers doesn't mean you can ready then all at once or recover them effectively.

Grod and I aren't criticizing the Blade Scholar. You said you wanted to ready a lot and recover them effectively while having other outside class features on top ofthe Blade Scholar. So don't diss us for criticizing what you said you wanted while taking it back.

Amnoriath
2013-10-19, 01:08 PM
Ok I will write this more clearly
They can LEARN any Discipline.
But might not have as many Maneuvers Ready or Granted per level as them. As well as likely having no Recovery Mechanic till after battle probably once a day. Think a Wizard with his spells.

Are you saying you want Vancian Preparation? Otherwise, I think the Blade Scholar fits perfectly with what you want.

Tavar
2013-10-19, 11:04 PM
Blade Scholar is probably what you want.

You might look at Jack of All Blades (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257154), though that's a different take(Sorcerer/Euridite to the former's Wizard).

DracoDei
2013-10-20, 11:42 AM
As has been said, you may not find all of those in one package. Vancian Maneuvers (if that is what you are asking for) would be... well, it could WORK, but if someone had done it, I THINK I would remember it. Maybe I just missed it though. Have you looked at Age of Warriors on this site?

Here is something I did that gets access to all 9 (or with homebrew, any nine or more):
True Master of Nine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121583).

Bhu
2013-10-25, 10:06 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6265.0 Sir Percival has a list that will interest you.