PDA

View Full Version : Tree Shape Abuse?

Tvtyrant
2013-10-19, 06:55 PM
Tree Shape effectively turns you into a tree with 0 dexterity and 0 movement, and also gives you +10 natural armor. If the user has a dex bonus spell cast on them and a spell that increase their movement speed (haste and cat's grace) can you now walk around as an armored tree?

Edit: Not so much abuse as an interesting way to play a tree hugger.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-19, 06:58 PM
Tree Shape effectively turns you into a tree with 0 dexterity and 0 movement, and also gives you +10 natural armor. If the user has a dex bonus spell cast on them and a spell that increase their movement speed (haste and cat's grace) can you now walk around as an armored tree?

Edit: Not so much abuse as an interesting way to play a tree hugger.

Yes, it works.

ArcturusV
2013-10-19, 07:03 PM
Only thing I'd watch for is stacking issues. If you had the buffs cast before Tree Shape a DM might reasonably rule (And I believe the RAW supports it), that you'd still have zeros. Need to get Tree Shaped then buffed.

Kane0
2013-10-19, 07:42 PM
Tree powers activate!

Malroth
2013-10-19, 07:44 PM
Players can apply buffs in the most benefical order

Tvtyrant
2013-10-19, 09:28 PM
One question I had was if you wildshape out of tree form, do you keep the NA and lack of movement (since spells are not reset by wildshape?) If so that would be pretty cool.

TuggyNE
2013-10-20, 12:17 AM
One question I had was if you wildshape out of tree form, do you keep the NA and lack of movement (since spells are not reset by wildshape?) If so that would be pretty cool.

Certainly seems to be the case, since there's no rules text linking those bonuses/penalties to your current form.

Dex is gonna be a problem though, since you basically can't buff it beyond the +4 from cat's grace.

Tvtyrant
2013-10-20, 01:25 AM
Certainly seems to be the case, since there's no rules text linking those bonuses/penalties to your current form.

Dex is gonna be a problem though, since you basically can't buff it beyond the +4 from cat's grace.

Actually another way to do it would be to cast one of the Aspect of the - spells while in tree shape, which would reset your movement and dexterity without losing you the natural armor bonus. Aspect of the Wolf is low enough level and has a long enough level that they actually compliment each other pretty well, as you gain a +10 to natural armor for no real losses, and can wildshape out of the aspect to get other form bonuses.

Would be a little weird to run around as a person pretending to be a tree pretending to be a wolf pretending to be a bear, but such is the life of a druid.

TuggyNE
2013-10-20, 02:29 AM
Actually another way to do it would be to cast one of the Aspect of the - spells while in tree shape, which would reset your movement and dexterity without losing you the natural armor bonus. Aspect of the Wolf is low enough level and has a long enough level that they actually compliment each other pretty well, as you gain a +10 to natural armor for no real losses, and can wildshape out of the aspect to get other form bonuses.

Would be a little weird to run around as a person pretending to be a tree pretending to be a wolf pretending to be a bear, but such is the life of a druid.

Then stick a Hat of Disguise on top and your transformation is complete.

Wait, I lied, there's still Team Solars-style shenananananigans, where you shapeshift into a Solar first, then Change Shape back.