PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the thousands seperator to work again?

Agrippa
2013-10-19, 06:56 PM
I've been typing something up on the computer and I have numbers going into the thousands. Unfortunately the word processor I'm using won't let me put a coma in as a thousands seperator. Can anyone help me out here?

TuggyNE
2013-10-19, 08:16 PM
I've been typing something up on the computer and I have numbers going into the thousands. Unfortunately the word processor I'm using won't let me put a coma in as a thousands seperator. Can anyone help me out here?

How does it not let you? :smalleek:

Anything more will probably rely on knowledge of the program you're using.

Agrippa
2013-10-19, 09:05 PM
When ever I type in a number in the thousands or millions, like 5,400, the program changes it to 5400. I'm using Open Office by the way.

tomandtish
2013-10-19, 09:11 PM
Definitely need more info. If you were using spreadsheets, databases, etc., I can think of reasons why it might be defaulting to not allowing the comma. I've never heard of a word processor that doesn't allow it.

So if you can, provide details and example.

For instance:

I'm using Microsoft Word 2010.

When I try and type 12,571 the system automatically changes it to 12571 as soon as I finish the number.

This is important because if you are trying to copy info from one program to another (Excel to word for instance), that may explain the problem. For instance, excel often automatically puts the commas in, but that means they won't transfer over sometimes if you paste.

Eulalios
2013-10-19, 09:16 PM
Go find the auto-correct "Feature" up in the pulldown menu there, and turn off the option that eliminates the "," in numbers.

Agrippa
2013-10-20, 11:41 PM
I figured it out myself.