PDA

View Full Version : Megadungeon D (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Malimar
2013-10-19, 09:05 PM
Travelling from far and wide for their own varying reasons, Agam ken-Maka (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=680877), Raziel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=680994), Zanaver Tarfire (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiO83u4T6xHedEdjLUxKWXNiRkJhaU1yUVlaSk5Hb EE#gid=0), Boznit (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=680169), Jamb (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=58401), and Takarin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=683375) have found themselves in the great city of Endeesy. It can't compare in magnificence, wealth, or amenities to the other capitols of the world. It offers only two things: first, almost anyone can find a way to fit in in this city of misfits; and second, even keeping the king's peace is almost beyond the military's ability, so non-violent offenses that might be crimes in other nations are overlooked here. So Endeesy, like its predecessor the Disreputable City, has naturally become a hub for pirates, smugglers, and adventurers alike.

But Endeesy has even more to offer than even the Disreputable City did in its heyday, for the lands north of the city are peppered with unexplored caves and ruins both ancient and recent, filled with fruits ripe for the plucking by those adventurers brave enough to seek them out.

That's where you come in, finding yourselves in the grand Adventurer's Guildhall. Barely more than an oversized tavern, really, the draw of the Adventurer's Guild for adventurers is that here one may encounter like-minded adventurers with whom to form a team, and then one may consult the corkboard by the door for a myriad of opportunities. (The draw for everyone else is, of course, that one may post a bounty on the bulletin board and eventually it will be done, if the reward is high enough.)

The contents of the corkboard can be found here (http://highseas.wikia.com/wiki/Bounties).

Bounties may range from the unambiguously good to the rankly evil, offer rewards ranging from piddling to riches beyond your wildest dreams, and mount challenges ranging from child's play to downright unachievable. None of these factors necessarily correlates with any of the others.

Not every location you visit necessarily contains anything of value, and things of value may not present themselves obviously. Not all creatures you encounter will necessarily pose a challenge appropriate to your power, or even be hostile. Areas cleared of creatures will not necessarily remain cleared for long.

This is an organic world, with many options and correspondingly many risks. How you choose to respond is up to you.

(OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14519274))

nersxe
2013-10-19, 09:38 PM
Raziel stands in front of the bounty board, maul held loosely in one hand as his fingers trace over the many pieces of paper in front of him.

Not a single one is legible to him in its entirety. He isn't very surprised; in his time walking the kingdoms of man, he has found few who speak the heavenstongue, and none he would wish to speak to who understand the language of devils. There are words here and there that he catches, those that have been borrowed or those mutated from the languages he speaks, but he cannot understand any one enough to say with confidence that he wishes to undertake it.

He is vaguely aware of the mortals who pass around and sometimes underneath him; most are smaller than him, though there are those who can match or surpass his height. Raziel frowns at the board for a few seconds more, then turns to regard the crowd, looking for anyone who seems as though they could speak to him in a way they can both understand.

Doc Kraken
2013-10-19, 09:51 PM
Boznit

"One side, comin' through, check your shins!"

The crowd parts - sort of - as Boznit makes his way toward the bounty board in the only way he can. A part of him wishes that he wasn't drawing so much attention to himself; another, larger part is positively gleeful about having so many toes to step on. He barely notices the massive leg in front of him, save as another obstacle.

"Wotcha, big guy, professional at work here!" He snaps, pushing at Raziel's leg. The fact that he's attempting to shove an angel out of the way takes a moment to register. The goblin cranes his neck up, eyes wide.

"Now I've seen everything." He mutters. "Hey! Pal! Your...ah...your holiness! Mind moving to the left a bit? Some of us want to have a look at the board!" Who knew if the angel spoke Common, or even spoke at all...but he was looking at the board, right? Adventurers tended to pick up languages like exotic skin conditions.

nersxe
2013-10-19, 10:18 PM
Raziel (Dialogue in Draconic)

Raziel peers down at the goblin, squinting. He doesn't look either scaly or scholarly, like most who speak the language of the dragons, but Raziel is learning that the mortal realms are far less predictable than the celestial ones.

"Do you understand me?" Raziel asks cautiously in Draconic, "I do not speak the tongue of man, friend goblin. I only hope you speak that of dragons."

Doc Kraken
2013-10-19, 10:32 PM
Boznit

The goblin gives a surprised, slightly nervous chuckle. "Oh...a few words, enough to get by." He replies in the same tongue. "Comes in handy every now and then."

He shifts his weight from one foot to the other, wondering how best to phrase the question. This fellow seemed a lot bigger up close; it probably wouldn't pay to be pushy. "Would...erm...would you mind moving your leg? Just a bit to the side? I need a quick look at the board, that's all."

zlefin
2013-10-19, 10:37 PM
Jamb

A tall man with a light smile and a small squint walks up to the board.
Seeing how busy it is, he takes a place on the side of it and starts going over all the postings; moving around people as necessary to get a better look without forcing anyone else to move.

Going through the postings, he mostly shakes his head; tsks a couple times, and shows interest in a few of the postings.

nersxe
2013-10-19, 10:46 PM

"Yes," Raziel replies seriously, and steps out of the goblin's way.

He makes a snap decision while the goblin inspects the board. He doesn't have the same senses that his kin do, but his gut tells him there is nothing evil about the goblin, and they do both appear to be strangers in a strange land.

"I will travel with you on the quest you choose," Raziel nods once, bringing the matter to a close (if only in his own mind). "What wrong shall we right, friend goblin?"

Doc Kraken
2013-10-19, 11:02 PM
Boznit

"The wrong of my kneecaps no longer working properly, and if we're quick about it it won't be righting so much as preventi - " Boznit mutters, tracing a finger across the lowest paper. He freezes as he realizes what the angel's just said.

"That's...ah...that's very friendly of you." He says, cautiously. On the one hand, he'd been considering heading out with a group. Poking around the types of places bounties sent you was dangerous, after all. On the other...what was the angel's game? An angel, offering to help him out of the blue?

Mama Blackpool always said he'd been lucky. Maybe she'd been right. Then again, maybe not.

'If you don't mind me asking, what's your angle? I mean, I would have thought someone...erm...someone like you'd be here with a reason. You look more like an employer than an employee, if you catch my drift."

Falco1029
2013-10-19, 11:25 PM
Zanaver wanders towards the bounty board when he hears a... goblin, and some large humanoid, talking in Draconic, a language he understands as well. Really, what self respecting magic user DOESN'T speak Draconic?

He speaks over towards them in Draconic as well, "A holy-sounding man and a goblinoid walk into a guildhall. I think a bard told me that joke." he muses with a bit of a smirk, not actually looking at them as his eyes scan over the board.

Just as easily as he'd switched to Draconic, he then adds something in goblin, figuring it's likely only the little guy will understand it. How he'd picked up such a guttural tongue given his cleaned-up appearance is anyone's guess. "And you look like you're about to pee yourself. Have some backbone, goblin."

Aldhissla
2013-10-20, 07:59 AM
Agam

The large fellow had not yet developed a taste for alcohol during his stay at this strange world and this stranger city, and so stood off to the side of the overlarge tavern-hall for the most part, blending in as an off-colored ceiling pillar to those that only glanced around. For a long while he stood there, watching everything happening around him with an energy and an ephemeral quality which he had never seen before.

His pleasant surprise continues as he turns his somewhat small, beady eyes toward the corkboard and sees the garishly clashing colors and qualities of those standing before it. Shifting his unbalanced weight forward, the hulking lanky creature moves toward them. His gait is a hunched knuckle-walk of leisure as he wades through the crowds like a placid stream. At last, the lightly furred, ursine-yet-simian-yet-earthy thing comes to a stop behind them, and peers down over the shoulders of the shorter ones. Being just shy of eight feet tall himself, this may be many of them.

"Wanderers are, you?" He speaks in a low voice of fractured but developing Common as he listens to the rasping but solid and powerful consonants which he did not known to be Draconic being spoken.

shadowsedge
2013-10-20, 09:04 AM
Takarin

Takarin has been studying the board for nearly an hour. Now he has made his decision. He turns around and shouts: Anyone up for the centipede job ?

Falco1029
2013-10-20, 12:34 PM
Zaraver glances to the large creature that suddenly speaks up in some form of fractured common that, well, "Almost sounds worse than goblin..." he mutters, in common as well.

He's distracted then as he hears the one asking about the centipede job, and he calls over, "I could be convinced to help with that if you'd be willing to help find this 'Evil Encyclopedia' that's also mentioned here, afterward. I'm a little curious about it, and it's decent money." he says, then glancing to the tiny goblin, the large deva, and the other varying sized individuals there.

"And congratulations, you all have been drafted for both as well," he claims, waving his hand as if to say 'And I'll hear no objections'.

zlefin
2013-10-20, 06:19 PM
Jamb

The centipede job sounds good to me. I'm up for teaming up with people to get that done. I wonder how you cook giant centipedes, if they're safe to eat. As to that other job, it uses the word evil too much; sounds like some really bad stuff to get involved in, i'm not in for that.

Knowledge Nature check on edibility of giant centipedes.
[roll0]

Falco1029
2013-10-20, 06:21 PM
"Remember, retrieving an evil book doesn't mean it will be used for evil. In fact, it may take it out of such hands," he points out.

Of course, what it will be used for remains to be seen, once he's gotten a look at it. If they get that far.

"Either way, I'm fine with dealing with the centipedes first."

Doc Kraken
2013-10-20, 06:36 PM
Boznit

The goblin smirked at the babble of languages rising from the little group. Just like he'd thought - like exotic skin conditions. "At least I don't look like I've just gotten fresh-scrubbed for my first day in town." He snaps back at the fellow who'd spoken to him in his own tongue. It was without rancor; at least the man took the trouble to learn Goblin - not a bad language for insulting people in, all things considered. "Does your mama know you're out rubbing shoulders with all these scruffy folk? I think one or two might even be drinking!"

Switching back to Common, he turned to the man who brought up the centipedes. "Fun little creatures, if you don't get bit. We're game." Just like that, his earlier misgivings evaporated. Whatever the angel might be up to, he doubted he would try and stab him in the back - and until he got to know the rest of this makeshift party, that was something he'd make sure to guard against. The goblin reached up as high as he could, patting the angel somewhere on the upper arm. "Never mind about the angle. We can work that out later. We're gonna go squash some bugs before they eat any more miners. Howzat sound, big guy?"

Aldhissla
2013-10-20, 07:00 PM
Agam

The feral gargun drops into a sort of squat sit on his feet as he listens to the group curiously. When he hears and understands a scrap of Common, he smiles and shows off grows of fangs and teeth. Not quite a crooked or unsightly mess, but quite a set of chompers.

"Beetles?" He infers incorrectly after hearing the proper word used a few times. "Split back, roast meat out of shell. Ease hunger, but bad taste." He shakes his head and makes a face to emphasize. "Bad taste gath. This one help, though." He gestures with a knuckle to his sheer cliff of a chest.

Falco1029
2013-10-20, 07:14 PM
Zaraver smirks slightly towards the goblin. While the language itself is fairly crude, he still manages to speak it with the same sort of accent.

"Drinking? Well, the next time I'm in your mother's hut I'll have to tell her to scold you" he responds back in goblin again, his tail flicking once before curling back around his leg. "And I see no problem with keeping myself decent"

Shrugging a bit, he glances towards the gargun with a bit of a blink as he explains how cooking beetles works. He switches to common again, "Charming. Just don't eat the shells and we'll be fine, I think." he muses, to both the beast and the one who originally asked about it.

"Whatever the case, since we have at least a primary mission, we can get started on that, and then worry about what next afterward..." he muses.

zlefin
2013-10-20, 09:06 PM
Jamb

"Sounds good. I don't need to gather anything before going, so I'm ready when you guys are."

Jamb then gets a couple pieces of paper and jots down a few notes about some of the other postings.

Malimar
2013-10-20, 10:16 PM
DM
Jamb, along with the others, knows that yes, giant centipedes can be cooked, like big shellfish. Then you strip them of their shells, and they're, if not exactly delicious, at least not toxic.

As opposed to if they bite you. They do tend to be rather venomous.

So, the party is decided: they shall journey a few tens of miles northwest, to the Tiv-Beckett Cold Iron Mines, to clear out centipedes and maybe investigate those deeper dungeons, and if they happen to find any books of the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil as they do, well, they'll know where to bring them!

Any last things to take care of before you set out?

Falco1029
2013-10-20, 10:21 PM
"I'll need to grab my horse before we go, he's tied up outside," he mentions, but otherwise is ready to go after doing that.

Aldhissla
2013-10-20, 10:32 PM
Agam

"Agam ken-Maka is honored and ready. Kavaki kae lilio, have we an auspicious journey." The feral gargun grunts as he bows and comes closer to the heads of the others before following after them. He rises up onto his hind legs entirely, once there is room to do so, and seems hindered only by ensuring that he has his rudimentary equipment on-hand.

shadowsedge
2013-10-21, 06:08 AM
Takarin

"Ready to go."

nersxe
2013-10-21, 03:54 PM
Raziel (Dialogue is in Draconic)

Raziel tilts his head at all the chatter going on around him, piecing out what he understands and what he doesn't. In the end, he simply nods.

"I have no angle, friend goblin. I merely wish to accomplish some good during my time on this plane." A beat, then, "why do we go to collect centipedes?"

Doc Kraken
2013-10-21, 09:22 PM
Boznit

"You wouldn't be saying that if you'd seen the old lady with a bottle of rotgut. I'd get my hide tanned for not drinking you lot under the table five minutes ago." Boznit shoots back. He raises an eyebrow at the angel's question, switching back to a language he can understand. "Can't read it, huh? Well...we're getting paid for the corpses, that's one good reason. And they've been attacking miners. And there's supposed to be some old ruins to wander around in, maybe turn up something valuable. Mostly, though, we're getting paid. 'S a good enough reason for me!"

He extends a grubby hand. "I'm Boznit, by the way. Boznit Blackpool. Figure we ought to know each other's names if we're going to be working together. Mind if I pass yours along to the rabble what don't have the gift of gab?"

Malimar
2013-10-21, 11:03 PM
DM
And lo, the party sets forth on the northwest road out of Endeesy!

They get many second glances. A busking bard only barely manages to keep his tune as he sees the party go by. The guards at the gate do a quadruple-take, but let the party by.

Near the gates, there are a few travelers and merchant wagons lined up to enter the city (they mostly stare at the party), but these soon become rare.

And then it's on the road to the Tiv-Beckett Cold Iron Mine! (Double-checking the map, it turns out that when I said the trip was "tens of miles", I meant more like "fifteen miles". It's a small continent.)

It's a quiet trip. It's a pleasant 74°F out; only a few clouds float lazily in the sky. There are a few scattered sheep tended by shepherds, the occasional paddock of cows or horses, but mostly it's a long stretch of farms and grassland.

A few miles into the journey, they approach a patch of rosebushes, peppered with beautiful big white roses, right by the side of the road.

Agam and Raziel are the only ones who notice that the leaves and branches of these bushes are swaying slightly wrongly in the light breeze; this probably signifies something hazardous.

Falco1029
2013-10-21, 11:22 PM
"Zanaver" is the simple answer given once his own name is asked amongst the group. Or perhaps it's just offered when others are doing the same.

Either way, as they head out, he walks alongside his horse for the most part, the animal rather small and more of a pack beast for him, as he's not much of a rider. Still, once in a while he considers riding without a saddle, but ultimately avoids it for now.

The goblin simply gets a slight smirk at its last comment, as he focuses a bit more on the journey ahead, similarly ignoring the many staring people.

When they move approach the area with the rosebushes, he pays little attention to them, not noticing anything wrong. "I do hope we're getting close."

Aldhissla
2013-10-21, 11:43 PM
Agam

The gargun holds his head high as they pass through the city and then the surrounding fields, enjoying the scenery with all of the fascination of a tourist. Several times he looks hungrily at the distant flocks of livestock, but each time he seems to put his designs to an end upon seeing someone resembling a shepherd. It is only when the road bends toward the patch of rose bushes that he stops in his loping tracks, and raises one enormous hand.

"Goli, lenamaka nae..." He speaks aloud to the group, realizing only after several moments that he has slipped back into Gol-Kaa. He corrects himself, then dwells upon the literal translation versus intended equivalent for too long of a moment as he furrows a knotty brow. "Uh, keep your antlers up! Er... Look out?" He shrugs his shoulders and points toward the plants, grunting in agreement at anyone else who can articulate things better.

zlefin
2013-10-22, 12:35 AM
Jamb

Introduces himself when those are done; He happily walks along with the group, oblivious to the stares, and not at all concerned that he's travelling with such an odd crew on a quest after they barely met.

Ah, what nice flowers. Look out? Were these on one of those other notices?

Jamb then gets out his paper where he took notes on the other postings to see if these flowers match any of the requests.

Active aura is Vigor btw. (it's the current default aura he leaves on)

shadowsedge
2013-10-22, 08:51 AM
Takarin

Upon hearing Agam's warning, Takarin stops walking, draws his sword and gets ready to strike at any creature that might attack out of the flowers that Agam is pointing at.

Action: Ready attack action if anything attacks out of the plants and moves into melee range.
Greatsword: d20 + 3 [20]
Damage: (2d6 + 4) [11]

Doc Kraken
2013-10-23, 11:01 AM
Boznit

Boznit's demeanor on the trip out is in marked contrast to Zanaver's; he seems to get a kick out of the townsfolk's reactions, making sure to stick close to Agam and Raziel in case he's recognized by unfriendly eyes. He still manages to wink and wave at the guards at the gate...but only when they're a little ways past the city limits.

After a couple miles, his enthusiasm for the journey becomes slightly dampened by sore feet, a dusty throat, and the lack of anything interesting along the way. For a while, the goblin manages to amuse himself by kicking stones down the road, but the diversion loses its attraction when he stubs a toe. As they reach the rosebushes, he idly wonders whether any of the shepherds they passed had planted them. It seemed like the sort of thing country folk did. His eyebrows furrow at Agam's warning.

"What, you don't like flowers? I mean, you can't eat 'em, but they're harmless."

nersxe
2013-10-23, 08:21 PM

"I am Raziel," the deva replies when asked his name, giving it first in Celestial, then in Draconic.

"There is... something wrong, friend Boznit. The trees move in ways they should not." Raziel frowns, looking around for a possible source of the problem.

Malimar
2013-10-24, 02:16 PM
DM
The party is cautious about the rosebushes! Nobody gets close enough to provoke any unusual responses!

Jamb doesn't find any sorts of rosebushes or rosebush-like creatures in his notes about the bounties.

Everybody can see it now that it's been pointed out: every so often, the rosebushes twitch a vine or stalk or flower. There doesn't seem to be anything lurking in the patch of bushes. It's the bushes themselves moving unusually. Possibly lying in wait for some hapless creatures to get close enough for the plants to snatch them.

shadowsedge
2013-10-24, 03:49 PM
Takarin

"Does anyone know something about these moving plants?"

Without waiting for an answer, Takarin takes out his rope and tosses one end into the roses (while holding the the other end)

Aldhissla
2013-10-24, 04:11 PM
Agam

The gargun wrinkles his nose at the bushes for a long moment as they all gradually realize that the plant is animated. He has half a mind to skirt around the thing and be on his way again, but his presence in a group grounds him and spurs him to act upon curiosity for at least a brief while. He cranes his neck and peers at the bush while Takarin studies by experiment, wondering if there are any stray scraps or valuables left over from the plant's latest catches. Fresh meat is fresh meat, after all.

Falco1029
2013-10-24, 04:55 PM
Zanaver glances over as the plants are pointed out, slowing to a halt as he sees the odd movements.

"Odd..." he murmurs, scratching his head, "Well, I have no way to deal with animate plants, so..."

He watches Takarin toss a rope at the plants, and while he does that, he looks to see how widespread the things are; if there's any easy way around them to be safe, or if any of them seem less... animate than the others. And, for that matter, if there's anything even more dangerous looking outside the pathway.

Search check if it's needed
[roll0]

nersxe
2013-10-24, 04:59 PM
Raziel

Raziel watches his companions, keeping a sharp eye on both them and their surroundings. He may not understand the conversation, but he knows that their investigations could attract the wrong sort of attention.

zlefin
2013-10-24, 08:19 PM
Jamb

Jamb shrugs after looking through his notes.

I got no idea about the plant. Doesn't seem like it's gonna chase us though; let's just go around it.

Doc Kraken
2013-10-24, 09:39 PM
Boznit

The goblin glowers at the rosebush, keeping well back. "This sort of thing," he declares suspiciously. "Is the reason sensible people live in cities. You lot think it's eating people?" He thinks about this for a second, coming to the inevitable conclusion. "You think it might find their pocket money indigestible?"

Aldhissla
2013-10-24, 10:01 PM
Agam

"Why you Mongrel-Men chase after pretty metals so hungrily?" The gargun asks as he casts his gaze over not only the goblin, but the entire group inclusively. His tone seems genuine, without much in the way of reproach. "Elders speak of Stonehome having mountains of them- but they still useless." As they continue to poke around the potentially hazardous plant, the hunched fellow grips at his spear pensively.

shadowsedge
2013-10-25, 10:51 AM
Takarin

Takarin lets go of the rope and starts to approach the plants carefully, ready to jump back if the plants make any aggressive movements [sword in hands]. If the plants make no agressive-looking movements, he will approach to a distance of two feet. If the plants fail to react to him at all, he will take some food from his rations (dryed meat) and try to feed it to different parts of the plant. If this yields no reaction, he will feed some drops of his own blood to the plants. [he stays wary all the time, ready to move away and keeps at least one hand on his sword all the time]

Malimar
2013-10-25, 01:55 PM
DM
It should be reasonably easy to get around the bushes without provoking them, even if you have to go through the cornfields.

There does appear to be a dessicated corpse lying beneath one of the plants. A soldier or adventurer of some sort, in heavy armor.

Takarin throws a rope to the rosebushes! One of the bushes grabs the rope and attempts to sink its thorns into it. But, after a few moments, the plant apparently has discovered that the rope is not food, and lets it go.

Then Takarin investigates more. His investigations prove fruitful on the first thing he tries, which is to say, moving close to it. As soon as he gets within five feet, all three rosebushes start flailing and trying to grab him.

So he jumps back quickly!

But the plants follow him (slowly), waving their stalks menacingly!

It is combat time!

,,,....*,,,,,,,,
,,,,..♣♣,,,,,,,,
,,,,,..♣,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,..T,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,..AR.,,,,
,,,,,,,.JZB...,,

, - cornfield (difficult terrain)
. - road
A - Agam
R - Raziel
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb
T - Takarin
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse

zlefin
2013-10-25, 02:47 PM
Jamb

Jamb walks back along the road away from the bush. (use both actions to move back 60')

"This thing is slow. We could still just walk around it."

shadowsedge
2013-10-25, 04:17 PM
Takarin

Takarin moves back 20 feet on the road and manifests vigor on himself:
vigor , overchanneled, 2pp
Takarin is now at 19/9 HP and 1/3 PP

"I am going to charge. If someone else has a slashing weapon available, join me. The others, I suggest you light your torches, maybe fire will work on these things."

Falco1029
2013-10-25, 04:52 PM
As the moving plants start towards them, lacking any easy way to do much to them, Zanaver moves to start circling around them. For one thing, being bunched up likely makes for easier targets.

He grabs a torch from the pack of his horse, hoping the plants will leave the beast be or be stopped in time, and then moves to the northeast (Assuming up on the map is north) through the cornfield as he lights it, then does his best to keep it above the plants there.

I assume that's covered in two move actions. If not, he doesn't light it yet

nersxe
2013-10-25, 06:40 PM
Raziel

When the bush begins to menace his companions, Raziel grips his maul firmly and strides forward far faster than any mortal he had ever met. When he reaches the bush, he takes the weapon in both hands and swings as hard as he can.

He's got a 50' move speed, so I'm fairly certain he can make it to the bush.

Roll to hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Confirm critical (if needed): [roll2]

EDIT: Oh. Well. Pretty sure that's bye-bye for the bush, unless we inadvertently got in far above our heads.

Doc Kraken
2013-10-25, 08:01 PM
Boznit

"Mountains?" Boznit chokes. "Tell you what, if you ain't got a use for them, I could use a GAH!" His train of thought jumps the rails as the bush rushes toward them. He doesn't have much experience with fighting off carnivorous plants...but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that rosebushes burn.

"C'mon, c'mon..." he hisses, fumbling for a torch and a tindertwig as Raziel rushes forward.

Move action: Pull a torch from his backpack.
Move action: light torch with tindertwig.

Aldhissla
2013-10-26, 10:12 AM
Agam

Since everyone else is doing actions (but please ignore if you rolled our initiatives already)

The gargun wrinkles his nose at the bush as it snakes toward a potential meal in such an unnatural manner. He always did hate his vegetables when he was a whelp, and this drives home the point that he wishes he could argue with his mother. But the creature still needs beating first, and so he lopes in closer and to the side of the action to jab at the thing with his spear, testing its resiliency.

Plants don't always always have DR/Slashing, right?

Move Action to Row 9, Column 7. (Row 8, Column 7 in the event that the others killed the southernmost part of the bush.)

Standard Action to attack the bush using reach.
Longspear Attack: [roll]1d20+4
Longspear Damage: 1d8+4

Malimar
2013-10-27, 10:09 PM
DM
Agam moves up and stabs vigorously upon the bushes! He hits the southern bush quite a good hit, stabbing it right in its fleshy trunk. (His attack does not appear to have been affected by damage reduction.)

One of the rosebushes shambles south ten feet!

Boznit pulls out a torch and lights it!

Another rosebush shambles south ten feet!

Raziel advances upon the bushes with his great maul, and mauls it thoroughly with his maul! Several rozes and lots of leaves go flying. (Also not affected by damage reduction. But the thing isn't dead.)

Zanaver draws a torch, then heads northeast and lights the torch! (I allow drawing an item as part of a move action, so yes, we'll say that's two move actions)

Takarin finds himself suddenly next to a rosebush! But it misses him as he backs up to a place from whence he can charge them, then manifests vigor.

The last rosebush shambles 5' up to Agam (who had stabbed it with his spear) and lashes at him with a spiny stalk! It's a critical hit! The rosebush lashes Agam across the face for 10 damage.

Jamb backs wisely away!

,,,....*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,.♣♣♣,,,,Z,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,RA.,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,...B...,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,Thh........,,,
,,,,,,,,,hh...........
,,,,,,,,,,,,,........J

. - road
A - Agam
R - Raziel
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb
T - Takarin
h - Zanaver's horse
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse

EDIT: Whoops, Zanaver moved northeast, not north. My bad.

nersxe
2013-10-27, 10:15 PM
Raziel

Raziel scowls when his blow fails to fell the bush, and glances behind him in concern when one of his companions takes a whip of thorns straight to the face. Face blank with determination, he lifts the maul again and swings.

Maul attack (standard): [roll0]
Critical confirmation (x3 crit): [roll2]

Falco1029
2013-10-27, 10:21 PM
Once the torch is lit, Zanaver tosses it into the nearest plant, hoping it'll catch on fire if he's really lucky. It doesn't seem like it could easily get away, after all. After that, he takes a 5 foot step away from the plants.

Northeast, not north! I didn't want to be within reach <_<

Anyway, I hope I'm doing this right, Attack with a -4 penalty because torches aren't throwing weapons, but I imagine I might be going for a 'touch' ac since I only care about the fire hitting it, not about doing bludgeoning damage?

Either way, here's the roll. If you want damage anyway as normal, I included that too.

[roll0] Toss. +3 from Dex, -4 from improvisation.
[roll1] Bludgeoning damage if you want it, a Torch is akin to a Gauntlet if I recall. Plus 1 fire.

EDIT: Son of a bad roll...

zlefin
2013-10-28, 12:19 AM
Jamb

seeing that the rest chose to fight, Jamb turns around to join them; but advances cautiously lest more of the beasts be in the area.

Standard action total Defense.
Move action 30' back toward the party, staying in the center of the road;

shadowsedge
2013-10-28, 05:27 PM
Takarin

Takarin charges to the position to the right of agam and strikes the bush in the middle.

Attack: 1d20 +5 [13 ]
Damage: 2d6 + 4 [12 ]

Doc Kraken
2013-10-28, 09:52 PM
Boznit

The goblin whimpers a bit as he sees the rosebush rake Agam across the face. If that thing could tear up one of the group's toughest members so easily...but then again, it's a plant. A flammable plant.

"Hey! Catch!" He yelps, darting forward and flinging the torch.

Boznit's moving up to the road-space directly southeast of Raziel and flinging his torch at the bush directly ahead of him.

Attack: [roll0]0 (-4 for Improvised, +5 for ranged attack)

Damage (if applicable): [roll1] (plus one fire!)

Aldhissla
2013-10-29, 06:38 AM
Agam

The moment the ropy lash of the rose bush strikes Agam, the world slows down to a crawl from his perspective as he reels and nearly falls back flat on his painfully gashed face from the blow. He staggers, gripping at his head and neck where surely a tendon or the like was severed, as he attempts to backpedal from the fight. Were he able to articulate speech at that moment, he more than likely would have agreed in retrospect with Jamb's skirting maneuvers. He shifts backward, groping round in his pack for a potion or the like.

Miscellaneous Action to 5-foot step south.

Move Action to retrieve a Potion of Cure Light Wounds from storage but not use it yet.

Malimar
2013-10-29, 01:46 PM
DM
Agam takes a step to the south, drawing a potion!

One of the rosebushes, finding itself conveniently next to Raziel, attacks him with a thorny stalk! It just barely manages to penetrate his holy skin, so Raziel takes 7 damage.

Boznit moves up and chucks the torch directly into the bush! It hits, and the bush doesn't seem to like that, because it flails a bit! And it catches fire (for 2 rounds)!

The burning bush in question isn't smart enough to beat out the fire or anything, so it just attacks Raziel! But luckily this one misses.

Raziel vigorously mauls a bush! Once again, stalks and leaves and roses go flying!

Zanaver chucks his torch at the bushes, and... it lands harmlessly in the road.

Takarin charges the burning bush! But alas, the plant-creature's bark deflects his blow. Instructions on using the forum's dice-rolling system, as we do, can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917), if you need it.

The last rosebush elects to attack Takarin! It hits him with a thorny vine, for 5 damage!

Jamb returns towards the party, prepared to defend himself!

,,,....*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,..í,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,.♣♣♣,,,,Z,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,R.T,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,BA.,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.hh........,,,
,,,,,,,,,hh....J......

. - road
A - Agam
R - Raziel
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb
T - Takarin
h - Zanaver's horse
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse
í - lit torch on the ground

Aldhissla
2013-10-29, 02:21 PM
Agam

The gargun cringes as the flex of the muscles in one arm causes his lashed face and neck to move as well. As blood begins to rush out at a dangerous rate, he quaffs the contents of the vial taken from his belt and even gnaws at the stout neck of the vial slightly. His body sews itself back up quickly, leaving a scar across the already rough and knotty skin as he shifts back another step and then drops his spear.

Standard Action to drink Potion of Cure Light Wounds. 1 damage sustained from the action, negating +1 healing from potion CL.
[roll0]

Miscellaneous Action to 5-foot step diagonally southeast.

Free Action to drop longspear.

Move Action to draw sling.

shadowsedge
2013-10-29, 03:07 PM
Takarin

Takarin strikes the same bush again.

Attack: [roll0]

nersxe
2013-10-29, 04:47 PM
Raziel

Raziel keens with pain, blood dripping down his chest and staining the cloth wrapped loosely around his waist. The pain fogs his head, but he stands his ground to cover his wounded friends, reaching down to his belt.

"Restore," he commands in Celestial, and one of the moonstones on his belt goes dark. His hand glows with energy, and he smooths it over his chest, sighing in relief as his wounds close.

Standard action: activate belt of healing using one charge to heal himself. [roll0].

The good news is it doesn't trigger an aop, and if it heals him to full, he can tank the bushes while other people recover. The bad news is if it only heals 2 hp, he could very well go down into the negatives next turn. Phew. He can tank it. Probably.

Doc Kraken
2013-10-29, 05:46 PM
Boznit

"Yes!" Boznit crows as the bush goes up in flames. "Didja see that sho - oh." He winces as the bush keeps moving, wincing again as it lashes out at Raziel."Keep them busy!" he yells to the angel in Draconic, charging forward as he draws his sword. "We've got them on the ropes!"

Quite where this courage came from, he couldn't say...but if they didn't pull together and kill these things quickly, the group was likely to end up as fertilizer. Not quite the fate he'd had in mind.

Move action: Move up into the gap left by Agam, drawing his sword as he goes.

Standard action: Attack the plant directly in front of him.

Attack: [roll0] (+1 for melee attack)
Damage (if applicable): [roll1]
Confirm Crit (if applicable, 19/20 x 2): [roll2]

zlefin
2013-10-29, 06:17 PM
Jamb

Jamb continues moving warily forward; he pauses, considering using his sling, but too many friends are in the way.
"Oh well, here we go"
and moves up right below the melee line, ready to join the fight.

Just make it two move actions; the warily is fluff.

Falco1029
2013-10-29, 07:02 PM
Zanaver curses to himself at how badly he missed, moving to run behind the creatures to retrieve his torch.

I imagine it's two moves to get through the terrain and retrieve the torch, so that'll be it.

Malimar
2013-10-29, 08:07 PM
DM
Agam chugs a potion, takes a 5' step, drops his spear, and draws his sling!

One of the bushes lashes at Raziel again! But it misses horribly!

Boznit steps up to the plate, and vigorously swords... the air where the plant was a moment ago!

This bush burns merrily a little while longer, before the flames die down. It attacks the closest target: Boznit! But its stalk passes over Boznit's head as he just barely manages to duck out of the way!

Raziel activates his belt of healing!

Zanaver runs up behind the bushes to where his torch burns on the ground! He doesn't quite have time to pick it up this round, but next round shouldn't be a problem. However, as he moves up, one of the bushes reveals a previously-unused ability: apparently they've got reach, but aren't smart enough to always use it (or else, are smart enough to hold in reserve)! And it just barely manages to hit him with an attack of opportunity, for 5 damage!

Takarin hacks through some leaves, but his weapon is turned aside -- just barely -- by the plant's thick bark!

The last bush retaliates, whacking at Takarin with its stalk, hitting him for 4 damage!

Jamb moves up to just within range of the plants' long reach, ready to join the fight!

,,,....*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,....z,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,..í,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,.♣♣♣,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,RBT,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,..J,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,.A...,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.hh........,,,
,,,,,,,,,hh...........

. - road
A - Agam (standing over his longspear)
R - Raziel
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb
T - Takarin
h - Zanaver's horse
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse

zlefin
2013-10-29, 08:33 PM
Jamb

Jamb steps forward (5') and strikes at one of the pesky things.

[roll0]
[roll1]

He then refocuses himself and shifts his aura; projecting energy shield (2 acid damage) to the allies.

Reminder - until my turn comes around vigor aura will be active and you may get healing from it on your turn.

nersxe
2013-10-29, 08:35 PM
Raziel

Raziel squares his jaw and lifts his maul again, striking at the bush that looks the closest to destruction.

Roll to hit versus whichever plant looks the most damaged. If it's not possible to tell, he'll go with the one he's been hitting previously.

Maul to-hit: [roll0]

Aldhissla
2013-10-29, 08:43 PM
Agam

"Maybe we underestimate..."

The gargun grunts as he whips a bullet up into a swinging motion over his head and eyeballs the unusual melee in front of him for a long moment. He settles on the rightmost one after it gives Takarin another lashing, and releases one end of the cord while hoping that he doesn't bean him or Jamb or anyone else by accident.

"Maybe we underestimate, gath!"

Standard Action to attack rightmost plant.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Free Action to reload.

Doc Kraken
2013-10-29, 08:47 PM
Boznit

The goblin jerks back, flailing at the air in a panic as the plant's stalk retracts.

"Gerrofgerrofgerrofgerrof!" He howls, swinging wildly in retaliation.

Attacking the formerly-burning bush (is it the one right across from him?)

shadowsedge
2013-10-29, 09:10 PM
Takarin

Takarin strikes once more at the bush in the middle

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

HP: 10

Falco1029
2013-10-29, 09:27 PM
Crying out in pain as the plants appendage bites into him, Zanaver reaches down to grab the torch, taking a step to the northwest and then trying to toss it into one of the not-yet-burning bushes, again. If it misses this time, he's likely to give up.

Move action to grab the torch, standard to throw it again, whatever action to take 5 foot step.

Same as last time what with intent. Except a bush that isn't burning yet.
[roll0] Toss!
[roll1] Bludgeon. +1 fire.

Malimar
2013-10-30, 04:22 PM
DM
Agam whips a sling bullet right into the bush! But it ricochets off the plant-creature's bark, to no apparent effect.

The leftmost rosebush goes for Raziel, hitting him for 4 damage, then it twines its thorny stalks around him. It succeeds; Raziel is now grappled!

Boznit flails at the bush, successfully whacking leaves and thorns from stalks!

The middle rosebush, the one Boznit just attacked, retaliates, attacking Boznit in return! But Boznit successfully ducks out of the way of the flailing stalk.

Raziel tries to break free of the rosebush's grapple, but cannot!

Zanaver picks up his torch, and chucks it... into the cornfield! D'oh.

Takarin takes a solid whack at the bush... he doesn't hit it, but he's pretty sure that if he had, he probably would have taken the bush down.

The rightmost rosebush lashes at Takarin with its stalks! It hits him, for 5 damage, and tries to establish a grapple! But Takarin proves too strong for it, and breaks free of the tangling vines!

Jamb steps up to the plate, switching his aura, and takes a mighty whack at the rightmost bush!

The bushes to the right and center look like another solid hit or two will take them down; the leftmost bush is uninjured, and is grappling Raziel.

,,,....*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,....Z,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,.♣♣♣í,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,RBTJ,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,.A...,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.hh........,,,
,,,,,,,,,hh...........

. - road
R - Raziel (grappled)
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb
T - Takarin
h - Zanaver's horse
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse

Aldhissla
2013-10-30, 05:01 PM
Agam

"Thaaval!" The gargun grumbles a curse in his tongue as he attempts to impart more spin on his next sling bullet and crack that writhing stalk right at the base of the stem. Hopefully these plants can be beaten back before he has to force-feed someone a potion.

Standard Action to attack the rightmost one again.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Move Action to reload the sling.

shadowsedge
2013-10-30, 06:13 PM
Takarin

Takarin decides to take one more swing at the middle bush despite his injuries.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

If Takarin is hit, he will activate elan resilience (1pp) to reduce the damage by 2 points.

zlefin
2013-10-30, 06:14 PM
Jamb

Jamb wordlessly continues the assault, striking at the nearest of the monsters; stepping forward as necessary if the nearest one falls before his turn.

[roll0]
[roll1]

nersxe
2013-10-30, 09:43 PM
Raziel

Raziel grunts when the plant grabs him, then attempts to break free.

Opposed grapple: [roll0]

Falco1029
2013-10-30, 10:34 PM
Zanaver grumbles to himself, realizing hes not going to be of much use here. So, he takes a step towards the plants, picks up his torch, and just tries to avoid getting lashed at again.

5ft step towards torch, move action to grab, then total defense for standard.

Doc Kraken
2013-10-30, 10:38 PM
Boznit

"Oh, you like that?" Boznit taunts. Despite himself, he's beginning to have fun. These things seem to be having an inordinate amount of trouble getting to grips with him. "Here! Have another!"

Attacking the center plant again.

Malimar
2013-10-31, 07:02 PM
DM
Agam slings another boolit into a bush, but once again, the bush's thick bark deflects most of the force of the blow.

The left rosebush tries to sink its thorns into Raziel's flesh and begin drinking his celestial blood, but he manages to hold off the thorns; he's still grappled, but the bush doesn't get a good enough grip to do anything more. (However, Jamb's aura does make the plant begin to sizzle a bit.)

Boznit is having as much trouble getting to grips with the plants as they are getting to grips with him. His weapon harmlessly goes whoosh through the bush!

The middle rosebush changes targets, for its own inscrutable reasons! It tries to whack Takarin! But he ducks out of the way of the blow.

Raziel tries and fails to break free of the left bush!

Zanaver steps through the corn, picks up the torch, and defends himself!

Takarin's weapon fails to penetrate the plant's thick bark!

The right rosebush arbitrarily (which is to say, randomly) continues to try to attack Takarin, and actually hits him! It would do 5 damage, but he activates his Elan Resilience, which reduces it to 3. The acid aura sizzles the plant, but it successfully wraps its viny tendrils around Takarin anyway! Takarin is now grappled.

Jamb (query: where'd the +8 come from? I'm only seeing +2 on your sheet) manages to completely miss the bush, but doesn't mess up any worse than that.

All in all, not a spectacularly good 6 seconds for our heroes!

,,,....*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,...,Z,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,.♣♣♣,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,RBTJ,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,.A...,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.hh........,,,
,,,,,,,,,hh...........

. - road
R - Raziel (grappled)
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb
T - Takarin
h - Zanaver's horse
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse

shadowsedge
2013-10-31, 07:48 PM
Takarin

Takarin activates his belt of healing, all three charges.

[roll0]

nersxe
2013-10-31, 07:48 PM
Raziel

Raziel struggled to free himself from the bush's thorny embrace.

Standard: break the grapple [roll0]

zlefin
2013-10-31, 09:26 PM
Jamb

Jamb drops his sling and wields his mace with both hands, preparing a powerful downward smash!

[roll0]
[roll1]
the +8 last time was a typo

Doc Kraken
2013-10-31, 09:39 PM
Boznit

Boznit gives the rosebush a glare as it takes a swing at Takarin. "Hey! I'm not done with you, you stupid weed! Get back over here!"

Aldhissla
2013-10-31, 10:10 PM
Agam

Seeing the wall of his allies in front of him, Agam picks back up his longspear, and thrusts it downward over Takarin's head in an attempt to free him and rid them of at least one of the bushes, especially after seeing so many fumbles and Raziel's hopeful escape from the far left one.

Sorry I can't salvage any of the attack rolls with Aid Another, guys. What do we think their AC is, 16 or 17?

Free Action drop sling.

Move Action pick up longspear (again.)

Misc. Action 5-foot step north.

Standard Action attack that damned right bush already. I say if everyone gets released, we just try to retreat at this point. I made a mistake. Also, Agam's at 5 HP at this point, I believe.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Falco1029
2013-11-01, 01:01 AM
Zanaver takes a five foot step so he's closer to the bush grappling Raziel, then takes a blind swing above the thing's top, trying to distract it and cause it to hesitate just long enough to help the deva out. If only because losing someone now would make the rest of the trip harder.

Going with that Aid Another suggestion to add 2 to Raziel's AC. Let's see what I can do with my noncombatant flaw. At least I'm flanking. About a 50/50 chance all told.
[roll0]

EDIT: And he sticks it!

Malimar
2013-11-02, 02:06 PM
DM
Agam picks up his longspear, steps north, and once more just barely fails to impale the bush! Dem 14s.

The western rosebush attempts once more to drain Raziel's holy blood! But Raziel easily avoids the bush's hollow thorns.

Boznit proves unable to whack the weed!

The middle rosebush swings a stalk at... Zanaver! But it completely misses him.

Raziel, with a mighty effort, breaks loose from the bush! He is no longer grappled.

Zanaver distracts the bush, helping to protect Raziel from further incidents!

Takarin utters the command word for his belt of healing, suffusing himself with positive energy, restoring a great deal of life!

The eastern rosebush gets its hollow thorns through Jamb's acid field into one of Takarin's veins, and begins to drain blood! It deals him 2 points of constitution damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#abilityScoreLoss)! He feels a bit woozy, as one does after having blood drawn. Then the bush, sated, its white roses turned a deep red, releases Takarin from its grip.

Jamb drops his sling and draws his mace, smashing at the nearest bush! But it leans out of the way, and his mace hits only leaves.

It is at this point that the noise of a horse can be heard from the road to the northwest! You see a human woman (with a sparrow riding on her shoulder), a glittering warforged with a draconic mien, a half-orc, a particularly beardy engineer, a vicious-looking dog, and a warhorse bearing a badly-damaged warforged. Clearly an adventuring party.

,rrC,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,rrEb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,GD.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,....*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,...Z,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,.♣♣♣,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,RBTJ,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,..A,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,.~...,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.hh........,,,
,,,,,,,,,hh...........

. - road
A - Agam
R - Raziel
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb (standing over his sling)
T - Takarin
h - Zanaver's horse
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse
~ - sling
r - Rascasse (with Titan riding)
E - Eleanor (with Shian on her shoulder)
C - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus

RaggedAngel
2013-11-02, 03:07 PM
Doldor

The druid takes one look at the scuffle before calling out to the embattled adventurers. "Hey there, who needs healing? Just call out, I'll come to you!" He moves as quickly as he can towards the fight, and beside him his massive hound charges towards the rosebushes, attempting to take a big bite out of the thorny brambles.

Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]

Brutus charges the bush: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Doldor double moves to heal someone, or if Zanaver needs healing he single moves and uses a charge from his Belt of Healing: [roll3]

Falco1029
2013-11-02, 03:12 PM
Zanaver

Zanaver glances over a moment at the new party approaching, quirking a brow but grateful for the timing. When the healing is offered he raises a hand a moment and calls over his need for healing, before turning his attention back to the bushes.

Once again, he swipes at the bush nearest the Deva, this time trying to urge it into Raziel's next attack. Once he's done with that, success or fail, he'll take a step north.

Aid another again, to give Raziel a +2 to attack
[roll0]
Then taking a five foot step north, as mentioned.

D_Man_7733
2013-11-02, 03:33 PM
Garol HP: 16 AC: 19
Active Aura's: Minor: +1 to all dexterity based skill checks and Init
Major: +1 fast healing up to half HP

Standing, slightly in awe of the situation of the various races under attack by a shrubbery, Garol shouts to the group while dropping his scimitar and sorting through his pack. "Don't worry we are here to help!"

Taking out a torch and a flint and steel, Garol attempts to light the torch. "These plants, should burn like any other, right?!" Shouting to Doldor, who appears to have some knowledge of nature.

Free Action: Drop Scimitar
Minor/Move Action: get torch out of pack
Standard Action: Get flint and steel

Can't light the torch until next turn (full round action)

shadowsedge
2013-11-02, 04:03 PM
Takarin

Takarin takes another mighty swing at the rosebushes, but this time at the rightmost ( the blood-drinking might have healed the middle bush ).
(Unless Brutus' Attack has already brought the right bush down, in which case Takarin will attack the middle bush. It is unclear which bush brutus attacks.)

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

zlefin
2013-11-02, 07:05 PM
Jamb

continue attacking

[roll0]
[roll1]

Aldhissla
2013-11-02, 08:10 PM
Agam

By this point the gargun seems to admire the rightmost plant's ability to dodge and weave out of seemingly every attack thrown at it. He likewise seems immensely surprised at the group coming up into view upon the road, and waves a huge and gangling arm in their direction.

"Lothakal lanae lulakamana! What luck!" He bellows before adding to the pressure now set against the bushes. Hopefully the bunch wasn't just a bunch of incredibly polite bandits.

Standard Action to attack the right bush (or middle one, if indeed the hound killed the right one finally.)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Free Action to speak. I'm having fun typing all of this Gol-Kaa out.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-02, 10:03 PM
Boznit

"We've got this, thanks!" The goblin yells. "They're just pla - hold still!" He lashes out at the vegetation across from him again.

"Arright, maybe we wouldn't say no..."

RCgothic
2013-11-03, 07:13 AM
Eleanor

I've barely registered that a group is in trouble on the road ahead before I'm in motion. "Scarecrow, target the bushes only!"

I move forward rapidly to disrupt the bushes' attacks and open them up to follow up strikes.

Swift action: Iron guard's glare stance. Threatened foes take -4 to hit allies.

Move action: s s se se se (30ft total - should be 10ft away from bushes and threatening all of them)

Standard action: vanguard's strike vs healthiest looking foe. If hits, allies get +4 to hit target.
Attack: [roll0] inc flanking bonus

And AoOs if required (bushes move from my threatened squares)
Attack: [roll2] inc flanking bonus
Damage: [roll3]

Attack: [roll4] inc flanking bonus
Damage: [roll5]

Rizban
2013-11-03, 08:57 AM
Shian

A small sparrow takes flight from Eleanor's shoulder. Darting towards the bushes, it seems to hesitate on who, or what, it's supposed to be attacking. Finally deciding that the rosebushes are in need of a trim, it spits a glob of acid at the nearest bush.

Dissolving Spittle – [roll0] – [roll1]

nersxe
2013-11-04, 08:45 AM
Raziel

Raziel barely noticed the second band of adventurers; his hand was on his maul, and his ears rang with the clamor of battle. He brought his weapon to bear, hoping that this blow would be the last.

Attack: [roll0] (normal is +5, with +2 for aid another)

Malimar
2013-11-04, 06:11 PM
DM
Agam actually hits the bush this time! He slams into it, and it appears, despite having just drunk its fill of blood, to be on its last legs (last... trunk?).

The west rosebush attacks... Boznit! He doesn't quite completely dodge out of the way, but he does take the blow on his armor, and is uninjured by it.

Garol roots through his pack and fetches out a torch! The middle rosebush does look rather scorched, as if somebody has tried this tactic with some success.

Boznit swings, and once more is foiled by the thick vegetable matter.

The middle rosebush flails a stalk at Zanaver, but he ducks out of the way!

Shian the sparrow zooms from Eleanor's shoulder, and horks up a gob of acid directly onto the main stalk of the western plant! It sizzles.

Raziel takes another swipe at the bush, but even with Zanaver's help, it evades his blow!

Scarecrow delays until top of the next round.

Eleanor moves up to threaten all the bushes, and slams her weapon into the western bush! After that, it is no longer the healthiest-looking bush.

Brutus charges the western bush, as he has the clearest line of attack to it, and he bites into it right at the stem, pulling it out of the ground and shaking it until it stops twitching! It's dead!

Zanaver assists Raziel in his attack, then steps north to meet up with Doldor!

Doldor, alas, is unfamiliar with these plants! They do appear to be carnivorous, though. He uses a charge to heal Zanaver for 7!

Takarin attacks the eastern bush, but once more it avoids his blow!

The east rosebush finds it difficult to attack anybody but Eleanor, so it obligingly tries to attack Eleanor! Just barely it manages to penetrate her armor with a flailing stalk, doing 6 damage! But it's sated with blood, so it doesn't bother to try to grapple her. (It does take some damage from the mysterious field of acid energy she finds surrounds her now.)

Jamb hits the heck out of the east bush, hacking it down to an inert stump! It's dead!

One badly-outnumbered bush left! It isn't looking particularly well-off; another good hit might take it down, or maybe two less-good hits.

(The new party, incidentally, now notices a well-armored humanoid corpse lying north of the fighting; it appears to have been drained of blood and left there some time ago.)

,rrC,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,rr..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,G..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,...D*,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,..EZ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,Hb..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,.*♣*,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,RBTJ,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,..A,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,.~...,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.hh........,,,
,,,,,,,,,hh...........

. - road
A - Agam
R - Raziel
Z - Zanaver
B - Boznit
J - Jamb (standing over his sling)
T - Takarin
h - Zanaver's horse
♣ - rosebush
* - corpse/defeated foe
~ - sling
r - Rascasse (with Titan riding)
E - Eleanor
H - Shian
C - Scarecrow
G - Garol (standing over his scimitar)
D - Doldor
b - Brutus

Falco1029
2013-11-04, 06:15 PM
Zanaver takes another step northeast, and since he's pretty sure he's now out of reach and that these newcomers have things at hand, he decides to look over the corpse, and see if there's anything left on it, whether valuables or just some idea of what he/she might have been doing.

5 foot step north, as mentioned, then quickly checking through the corpse. I doubt I can do that in combat time, but this should ideally be the last round, so here's the search roll anyway :P

[roll0]

nersxe
2013-11-04, 06:26 PM
Raziel

Seeing that even the man's sparrow familiar is being more effective than he, Raziel focuses instead on keeping the bush away from his friends.

Full defense.

zlefin
2013-11-04, 07:15 PM
Jamb

Jamb starts hacking at the remaining bush; once all bushes have stopped, he will continue beating them and tearing them apart to make sure they're truly dead and not just inactive.

He will also switch back to vigor aura once the last bush is down.

[roll0]
[roll1]

shadowsedge
2013-11-04, 09:02 PM
Takarin

Takarin strikes at the last surviving bush.

Attack [roll0] includes flanking bonus
Damage [roll1]

RaggedAngel
2013-11-04, 09:03 PM
Doldor

The druid looks around, taking out a wand. "Is anyone banged up especially bad? I don't know what these things are, but I can tell they're nasty. Glad we found you folk when we did."

His hound continues ripping at the last bush, clearly set on taking this kill as well.

If someone asks, Doldor will use his last healing charge for [roll0]. The wand is mostly for show.

Brutus attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Rizban
2013-11-04, 09:13 PM
Shian

The little sparrow ignores the last of the fighting and alights upon the drained corpse's torso to get a closer look.

Aldhissla
2013-11-04, 09:17 PM
The gargun wipes a hand across his craggy brow as he leans upon his spear and waves a hand at Doldor when he speaks.

"Not sure of others. But, a bit banged up. Will live though." He gestures to the enormous gash running along his face and neck that has barely been knitted together by that point.

Agam is at 5/10 hit points, and he'll accept the healing if no one else is lower than that.

As the last bush is more or less laid to waste, he looks around at all of the new and exciting short people. He wonders if all of them are Mongrelfolk as well, still having a great deal of difficulty figuring out what doesn't belong to literally the most varied race he's ever seen. He nonetheless bows deeply to them in thanks after the battle is officially finished.

"Gol maula kae. You have exceeded me."

Doc Kraken
2013-11-05, 12:15 AM
Boznit

"I'm...fine." The goblin grunts, hacking at the creepers lashing at his armor. "Nice timing, whoever you are. We had 'em on the ropes, but that sped things up a bit."

Attack: [roll0] (+1 for melee)

RaggedAngel
2013-11-05, 12:31 AM
Doldor

Those of you that can recognize a dwarf can see that Doldor plainly is one. The rest of you just see a hairy engineer, clad in some heavy lizard hide with a cudgel in one hand and an oaken shield in the other. "Right, names. Mine is Doldor, and this is my companion Brutus. He's a good hound, if you treat him right. Eleanor is the fair warrior there, and Garol is the not-so-fair warrior. The scaled seaforged there is Scarecrow, and the broken-down seaforged way back there is Titan, our charge. And if the bird has a name, he hasn't deigned to tell us, though he's too smart for my liking."

Got that out of the way.

Sliver
2013-11-05, 10:45 AM
Scarecrow

Moving forward, the draconic warforged lets out a low rumble and fire pours out from it's mouth with a roar, washing over the bush and through his allies, while avoiding any of the strangers.

Moving 20ft south should get Scarecrow within 30ft of the roses and only having Team B in the line of effect...

[roll0] Fire damage, using power surge so can't do fire breath for 1 round. DC15 reflex for half.

Turning to Doldor, Scarecrow looks annoyed. "I am not a seaforged." He says with a growl.

RCgothic
2013-11-05, 01:51 PM
Eleanor

I stifle a squeal as the bush gets through my defences. At least with the bush focusing on me the others will be safe. I back away from the bush and switch into a series of moves fashioned to mitigate the damage I just took.

Swift action: Martial Spirit Stance. Each hit heals 2. Priority is whoever looks the most beaten up.
5-ft step north.
Standard action: Stone Bones. DR5/Adamantine if hits.
Attack (take -2 penalty to fuel Stone Power): [roll0] inc flanking bonus and furious counterstrike.
Damage: [roll1] inc furious counterstrike.

AC17
Delayed damage pool: 5hp
Stone Power Temporary hitpoints: 4hp. (These will absorb most of the delayed damage pool - Eleanor will take only 1 damage once her turn resolves.)
HP:15(14)/20

And if she hit the bush:
Heal someone for 2.
DR5/Adamantine.

Malimar
2013-11-05, 08:04 PM
DM
The combined efforts of the two parties make very short work of the last bush, before it can retaliate. (Eleanor lands the killing blow, healing Agam for 2.)

Everyone gains 245 XP!

Zanaver, Shian, and then the rest of the parties, search the blood-drained humanoid body! It was probably an adventurer of some sort, judging from the armor, which appears to be (and, in fact, is) regular full plate armor. The corpse also has a few money bags totalling 320 gold coins (split 11 ways, that's about 29gp each, with a bit left over), and two flasks of gently bubbling green liquid that might be acid.

Falco1029
2013-11-05, 08:10 PM
Zanaver, assuming he got there first, will try and grab one of the vials of acid before anyone sees, knowing he really needs an extra way to attack. The other can go to someone else. He'll let the gold be split evenly, of course. The armor he doesn't really care about.

Sleight of Hand in case anyone wants to contest his claim on the acid. But I needs it!
[roll0]

nersxe
2013-11-05, 08:17 PM

After he's caught his breath, Raziel stands straight and surveys the newcomers. They look to be a good kind, and they helped he and his friends out of a tight spot.

"I am Raziel," he introduces himself, saying his name first in Celestial, then in Draconic, "Seraph of the Hosts of Heaven."

Though he'll gladly take what is offered to him, Raziel takes no apparent interest in the loot-splitting; he knows enough to know he doesn't know what distribution would be fair.

RaggedAngel
2013-11-05, 10:55 PM
Doldor

"Sorry about that, Scarecrow. I'm not really up to speed on 'forged terminology, what with spending the last couple decades in the woods. What's the best way to refer to you?" He seems pretty abashed, and earnestly apologetic. He also doesn't seem to care about the loot in the least; after all, he just healed a few people. It was Brutus that did most of the hard work. Brutus, for his part, takes a moment to mark his territory on top of the defeated bushes.

Aldhissla
2013-11-05, 11:09 PM
Agam

The gargun was on the verge of sifting through the slain bushes for some edible bits, but instead wrinkles his nose in distaste and stands upright and back away from the animal as it tends to its business instead. Hearing introductions, or what are probably introductions in other tongues, he brings the knuckles of one hand up from the ground and knocks them upon his chest.

"This one is Agam ken-Maka. We come from city... Maybe bad idea to leave it, too."

Falco1029
2013-11-05, 11:12 PM
Once he's sure he has what he needs, he decides to introduce himself too, "You can call me Zanaver. Your assistance is appreciated. it's very difficult to... talk things out with a plant." he muses, tail twitching a bit as he comes down from the adrenaline caused by combat. Talking things out of course being not so subtle code for Charming someone into not attacking.

Sliver
2013-11-05, 11:39 PM
Scarecrow

"I'm not a 'forged at all." Scarecrow corrects, this time more patiently. "I'm an Adamantine Dragon. See, I had my shield worked from a large piece of the egg I hatched from." He says, lifting his tower shield. "Of course I'm still young for a dragon, which is why I haven't mastered my arcane magics yet, nor did I sprout wings... But it will happen, you'll see."

Doc Kraken
2013-11-05, 11:51 PM
Boznit

"That...oughta be interesting." Boznit says, taking a step back. His eye catches the body and he wanders over, sifting through its possessions. After all, it doesn't need them any more. "Hope you give us some warning. Boznit Blackpool, at your service."

The goblin grins as he pulls out the other vial of (potential) acid. "Hey, ya think maybe he ought to have tried using this? Stupid little hedges burned pretty well, I'd have liked to have seen what would happen if a little of this got on their leaves. Come to think of it, I can think of all kinds of uses for the stuff..."

zlefin
2013-11-06, 12:36 AM
Jamb

Jamb switches to vigor aura to heal people at less than half; and will spend a few rounds making sure the plants are dead.

He then turns to the newcomers.
Greetings friends. I am Jamb.

Jamb takes his share of the money, but is uninterested in the other items.
He seems somewhat oblivious and is obviously still thinking about the plants.

We'd best make sure these things are dead and stay that way. Fire would be best; though we'd need to make sure it doesn't spread to all these nearby crops. Anyone know about managing fires well?

Jamb will then resume tearing apart the plants. (as well as pick up his dropped sling).

shadowsedge
2013-11-06, 05:11 AM
Takarin

Takarin takes part in the exchange of introductions, takes his share of the gold and announces that he is interested in the full plate armor.

He gathers some parts of the dead plants for further examination (a piece of Trunk, Blossoms, Stalk, Roots (these plants do have roots, i assume? ), all in all maybe 10 pounds)

RCgothic
2013-11-06, 04:19 PM
Eleanor

I'm disappointed that the full plate armour is spoken for. That could have been quite useful. Even so, it was by far the best piece of salvage, and I'm reluctant to take anything away from the other group. It seems they'll need it more than us. Shouldn't the corpse have had a weapon? I have a quick cast about for it.

"The bushes are slain! Do you think you'll all be alright from here? Where was it you were headed?"

shadowsedge
2013-11-06, 10:51 PM
Takarin

Takarin puts on his most cocky smile and turns to Eleanor:

"Hey, you have stolen my kill! I guess you owe me a drink or two once we are back in the city."

Rizban
2013-11-06, 11:16 PM
Shian

The sparrow leaps into the air from the corpse's chest and dive bombs Takarin's head, swooping close by it a few times and screeching furiously as only the smallest birds can do. He then alights on Eleanor's shoulder, his usual perch. Once there, he jumps about a bit before calming down and making himself comfortable. Takarin would almost swear the little bird even stuck its tongue out at him after it settled down.

Aldhissla
2013-11-06, 11:44 PM
Agam

The gargun takes a backseat to things, watching the others interacting with an amused expression on his face and a few rapid, shallow breaths through his nose now and then that stem from slight laughter. He leans upon his longspear after retrieving his dropped sling, and is among the last to take his cut of the spoils.

"What to do with thaaval?" He asks, gesturing to the dead humanoid body now that it has been unceremoniously stripped.

nersxe
2013-11-07, 07:47 AM
Raziel

Not understanding a word out of his companions' mouths, Raziel waits patiently for them to finish their discussion so he can ask friend Boznit what is going on.

RCgothic
2013-11-07, 12:56 PM
Takarin

Takarin puts on his most cocky smile and turns to Eleanor:

"Hey, you have stolen my kill! I guess you owe me a drink or two once we are back in the city."

I'm not sure how I feel about the sparrow acting like a jealous partner. That particular shtick could get old very fast. I flick my hair over my shoulder (not caring if I inadvertently dislodge the little bird) and smile at the dark haired man coquettishly.

"Sure, I can do drinks. Look me up next time you're in Endeesey. I can't promise I'll be around, but I'll get any messages left at the adventurer's guild eventually. I'm Eleanor by the way. Eleanor Savreux."

shadowsedge
2013-11-08, 09:59 AM
Takarin

As much as Takarin would love to take Eleanor behind the nearest bush for some quick Action , he decides not to overplay his hand. Such deeds are the privilege of those who didn't make charisma their dump stat. Besides, they had just cut down the only bushes within a mile.

" Pleased to meet you. I am Takarin. And I think me and my party will head back to Endeesy as soon as we have finished here. I will make sure to check in the adventurers guild later."

Doc Kraken
2013-11-08, 11:54 AM
Boznit

Boznit raises an eyebrow at the gargun's question. "I mean...he's not really bothering anybody, is he? Doubt he cares much one way or the other."

He turns to Eleanor. "We're headed out to the Tiv-Beckett mine. Supposed to be a bounty on bugs out there. I guess we didn't really figure on running into trouble on the way, but no harm, no foul. They might have done a number on the big guys if you hadn't happened along, though. Oh!" He points a thumb toward Raziel "This is Raziel. He's not so good with Common."

The goblin gives Raziel a grin, switching to Draconic. "They're just saying hi. All very friendly, really."

nersxe
2013-11-08, 11:57 AM

Raziel smiles in relief when Boznit translates for him. "Thank you, friend Boznit."

While the others organize, he reaches down, holding one hand over the moonstones in his belt. He murmurs the command word, and the light in the moonstone fades out, surrounding his hand in a soft pearlescent light. Carefully touching the light to his wounds, Raziel sighs quietly as the punctures from the bush close.

Roll for healing: [roll0]

EDIT: Ain't them the breaks. Oh, well. One more charge on the belt and Raziel is done for the day.

RCgothic
2013-11-08, 01:28 PM
Eleanor

"You're going to the Tiv-Becket Mine? We just came from there! Although I'm afraid if you're going after the injured seaforged, we've already found him... There are still plenty of centipedes about though, if that's what you're after. There were some cave fishers we took care of as well, though there may be more."

Malimar
2013-11-08, 01:40 PM
DM
So Zanaver gets an acid before the rest of the party gets there; Boznit gets the other. Takarin gets the armor, though it doesn't quite exactly fit him; it'll have to be resized to him by a smith. The gold gets evenly split.

Jamb chops up all the rosebushes until he's absolutely sure they're thoroughly dead!

Titan, the injured seaforged, mounted on Eleanor's warhorse, waves weakly when Eleanor mentions him. One entire side of his body is pretty much torn away; he's only staying on the horse by means of ropes and careful balance.

Falco1029
2013-11-08, 01:42 PM
Zanaver

"Can't say I'm upset that some of whatever else is in the mine has been cleared up by all of you," he muses.

"Whatever the case, we should be on our way. We're grateful for your help, but we're losing daylight, and I can't imagine these roads are any safer at night."

Doc Kraken
2013-11-08, 01:43 PM
Boznit

The goblin nods. "Heh, thanks for the heads up. We've been ambushed enough today, I'm thinking. Yeah, we're after the centipedes." He rolls his eyes at the pile of half-burned, shredded bushes. "It'll be nice to fight something that, you know, has a definite place for you to stab."

He eyes Titan as the seaforged waves. "Hey, errr, hope you don't mind me asking...what exactly did that? Are we likely to run into it?"

Malimar
2013-11-08, 01:54 PM
DM
The seaforged considers this question. After a few seconds, he says, "My memories are hazy but I believe it was... demons? You may be able to avoid them so long as you don't go too deep." Don't dig too greedily or too deep!

Doc Kraken
2013-11-08, 01:59 PM
Boznit

The goblin blinks. His mouth hangs open for a second, as if he wants to says something. He closes it again, rocks back and forth on his heels, and takes a deep breath.

"I want a raise. Can we get a raise? Is there someone we can go back and talk to about that?"

Falco1029
2013-11-08, 02:11 PM
"Feel free to go back and ask," Zanaver says to the goblin with a shrug. He heard the forged too, but he's not too worried about it.

"But it'd make more sense to simply, you know, not go too deep, as mentioned. Perhaps I'm simply thinking with a sense of logic though. That might be my own issue," he says in a smug sarcastic tone, "Besides, we can just demand more when we get back. haggle. I can be fairly convincing," he assures him more seriously. He makes sure he's speaking Goblin for all this, because he doesn't need the deva, or anyone else, judging him.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-08, 02:33 PM
Boznit

"Are you hearing the same words that I am?" Boznit retorts in the same tongue. "I hear the word 'may' and the words 'too deep'. Sounds kinda vague, don't you think? I also hear the word 'demons', and maybe that's not a problem for you, but if you haven't noticed we had to get hauled out of the fire when we were attacked by a bunch of hedges! Oh, and also, they did that to a seaforged." He points to the wreckage of Titan's side. "We're squishier than that. He's made of metal, you see. Now what if that had been your arm? How's that for logic?"

He turns to Raziel and switches to Draconic, caught up in the heat of the moment. "The seaforged says demons in the mine ripped him up. This guy wants to just go ahead and wander down there still. Back me up, huh? You're sane."

nersxe
2013-11-08, 02:39 PM

Raziel darkens when Boznit mentions demons. "Though it is my duty, I am not yet strong enough to defend against even the merest dretch. I do not think we should go to this place. We must notify the champions of good of this infestation, and seek adventure elsewhere."

zlefin
2013-11-08, 03:27 PM
Jamb

Seeing that no one has any advice on using a fire, Jamb contents himself with having shredded the dangerous bushes. He also notes to himself that a fire would probably take awhile, and arriving before nightfall would be good.

"Pleasure to meet you folk. Off we go then."

D_Man_7733
2013-11-08, 05:31 PM
Garol

Slightly depressed at the lack of assistance he was able to give, Garol packs up the torch and the flint and steel, picking up his scimitar, he walks over to the group. "Gah, I'm not much help am I, first nearly getting killed by vipers now failing to even help cut down a bunch of shrubs..." Unaware that his inaction to help was in fact inspiring his allies to do better and heal during battle. "I'm Garol, by the way, sorry for failing to help but I thought that burning these things would be a better idea."

RCgothic
2013-11-09, 03:41 AM
Eleanor

"Demons? We saw nothing like that. If you stick to the areas near the miners, all you should encounter is centipedes. Really, it's not at all safe for them to be working in such conditions. Anyway, we should probably get going. We need to bring our charge to where he can get some proper aid."

shadowsedge
2013-11-09, 03:14 PM
Takarin

Takarin announces to the group that he needs to get back to the city and buy some ranged weapons before adventuring forth.

Malimar
2013-11-10, 09:19 PM
DM
And so Party B leaves Party D to their discussions of whether to continue on to the Cold Iron Mines or to head to a different location, and returns to their own thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248170&page=15), heading to Endeesy with Titan to seek out Sir Bucket the Bold.

Meanwhile, Party D is faced with a choice: continue on to the Cold Iron Mines, having been given this new information (the depths contain demons, but the shallows contain mere centipedes, among of the most squashable of foes)? Since you're already on the proper road, detour to the dwarven tombs west of Serpent Pass, or to investigate the source of the Don't Drink This River? Return to Endeesy so Takarin can buy ranged weapons, continue on in hopes that the mine itself might have ranged weapons for sale, or lend Takarin a horse so he can head back to Endeesy and then catch up to the party on the road?

Falco1029
2013-11-10, 10:11 PM
Zanaver rolls his eyes, "See? There aren't any demons in the upper areas. We're fine. Let's just deal with the centipedes," he says, a little more annoyed by one of them saying they need new weapons, "Do you really need something with range to squish a centipede?" he asks.

zlefin
2013-11-11, 12:05 AM
Jamb

"Yeah, let's just get going to the centipede; they're weak, we won't need perfect weaponry for this. If you really want some range just find some good rocks to throw or something. And they'll probably have something at the mine you can borrow anyways. So i'm going."

Jamb then proceeds to walk to the centipede mine, regardless of the decisions of the others.

shadowsedge
2013-11-11, 12:36 AM
Takarin

" My lack of ranged options just got us nearly killed. Lend me your horse, and I will catch up with you long before you reach the mine."

If he gets to town, Takarin will buy:
(1) a sling + 40 bullets (4 sp)
(2) a shortspear (1 gp)
(3) 10 javelins (10 gp)
(4) a heavy wooden shield (7 gp)
(5) 16 darts (8 gp)

( all in all 26,4 gp)

Falco1029
2013-11-11, 12:48 AM
Zanaver

"If you want to borrow my horse, meaning I need to try and carry everything I need, you'll need to pay me for the service. I think 20 gold coins for use of my horse is fair," he says with a smirk, "Otherwise, you can simply walk, and risk not getting to us in time, or you can simply come with us and stock up later."

shadowsedge
2013-11-11, 06:58 AM
Takarin

"I will walk. See you guys later."

Takarin sets off for Endeesy.
There he will
(1) buy the stuff
(2) spend about an hour in the adventurers guild, asking anyone who looks like he is willing to listen if he has any information about these rosebushs
(3) return to the mine

Aldhissla
2013-11-11, 10:10 AM
Agam

"This one will keep sling handy. Centipedes get big. Big gath." The gargun gestures vaguely with both arms outstretched. Agam takes it as a personal challenge not to return to the town at that point, though he chooses to bring up the rear at a slow pace if he is able. Jamb makes him wonder how far he'd be willing to go solo, and he watches the man curiously. He consciously loads his sling again, and in his off-hand palms one of his potions of Shield. Having stronger weapons made of steel, and armor that didn't barely fit him, was now his immediate goal besides finding some goats.

nersxe
2013-11-11, 10:37 AM
Raziel

The deva watches Takarin leave with a frown. The others seem to be ready to press on despite the warnings, and he shakes his head. Mortals, ever-ready to throw away their lives out of arrogance.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-11, 11:06 AM
Boznit

"I - you - but - " Boznit sputters, watching the others start off. He kicks a stone angrily.

"Fine! You lot can do what you want, I'm going to wait right here for someone reasonable to join up with! You have fun getting your souls yanked out through your nostrils, all right?"

He grins appreciatively at the seemingly hesitant Raziel.

"At least you've got half a brain. We can just sit here for a while, enjoy the country air, smell the foliage - " He stops, remembering what the local foliage consisted of. And what it could do.

What if there were more?

"You know, on second thought," he adds hastily, "We can't let them just wander off and get slaughtered, can we? I mean, you probably know more about demons than any of them, and without me they'll probably blunder right into something before they even see it. It'd be murder by inaction, that's what it would be, and I for one can't have that on my conscience."

He takes off after the others. "Hey! Wait up!"

Aldhissla
2013-11-11, 11:34 AM
Agam

The craggy, knuckle-walking caboose stops in his tracks and turns back to see the goblin flailing toward them. He chuckles and waves a hand toward the deva in welcome, calling out despite the language barrier.

"Kauma nau emaka nauth! The mountain does not climb itself!"

nersxe
2013-11-11, 11:39 AM
Raziel

Raziel shakes his head again, but follows after. Someone has to protect them, after all.

Falco1029
2013-11-11, 04:03 PM
Grinning, Zanaver gets the horse and starts off towards the caves with the others, not too worried about Takarin heading back to town. They still have a decent number, and less people means more money.

shadowsedge
2013-11-11, 05:04 PM
Takarin

Some small changes to the shopping list:
(1) reduce darts to 10 (-3 gp)
(2) add 4 bags of caltrops (4gp)
(3) add Lamp (1sp)
(4) add 4 flasks of oil (4sp)
(5) add 1 piece of chalk (1cp)
(6) add 3 empty flasks (9cp)

=> adds up to 28 gp

Malimar
2013-11-11, 10:34 PM
DM
Takarin hurries back to town! He buys everything he needs in good time.

Luckily, the first person he asks at the Adventurer's Guild -- the bartender, who is (of course) a retired adventurer himself -- recognizes the description. "Aye, that sounds like vampire roses to me. Very dangerous to the unwary. Suck you dry of blood, they will."

Then he hustles back out to try to catch up with the rest of the group!

The rest of the group, meanwhile, has a nice sedate walk, with no further interruptions. They pass a caravan of mongrelfolk merchants, and they encounter some rats feasting on a number of dead snakes on the road at one point, but nothing dangerous.

And it works out that Takarin, hustling along, just barely manages to catch up with the group right about when they reach the mines.

At the mine, there is a big building, with "Tiv-Beckett Cold Iron Mine" in big letters above the porch. Miners bustle around behind the building, to and from a mine entrance carved into the hillside, around minecart rails.

On a rocking chair on the porch sits a grizzled old mongrelman, smoking a pipe, with a droopy old hound at his feet. He peers at the party, and asks, "More adventurers, come to clear the mines?"

shadowsedge
2013-11-12, 04:03 AM
Takarin

Takarin responds to the Mongrelman: "Indeed we are. I suppose you can give us some advice where to look for these centepedes? Is there some kind of map?"

Malimar
2013-11-12, 03:10 PM
DM
The mongrelman replies, "Well, there's not really a map, as such. But you can always follow the tracks. There are three levels, the tracks lead to the lifts between levels. We're managing to keep the top level mostly clear; the bottom level connects to some old ruins."

shadowsedge
2013-11-12, 06:13 PM
Takarin

"Has anything strange or unusual happened lately? Or is there something else that we need to know? "

Aldhissla
2013-11-12, 06:44 PM
Agam

The gargun sizes up the dog for a moment as the others speak, apparently seeing the first of something once again. He grunts in agreement with their returning member's questions before adding his voice.

"Gath injured mongrelman tell us of deep-dwellers. Bad-spirits. Demo... Daeym... Uh..." He gropes for the actual word used, looking at the other more fluent group members. Hunter's intuition to ask first, in case the owners of the area didn't want to spread knowledge of the nasty predicament to anyone else working for them.

Falco1029
2013-11-12, 06:47 PM
"Demons" Zanaver clarifies for the Gargun with an eyeroll. "We're hoping to avoid those though, we're just here to help clear out the centipedes, yes. So, you're saying the first level is probably safest for that? Or are there none left there at all?" he queries.

zlefin
2013-11-12, 06:53 PM
Jamb

Alright, sounds like a good plan. Clear out any on the first floor, then the second; and avoid the third floor for now.
Are the centipedes more active at day or night?
Since some of us got wounded on the way here we should probably rest some before going to fight. huh, that rhymed; neat.

Malimar
2013-11-12, 07:07 PM
DM
The porch-guy scratches his grizzled old head and considers these questions. "Well, another adventuring party just came through a few hours ago. They came out with an injured seaforged. Supposedly there was a bounty out to rescue it, so if'n you were looking to cash in on that one, you're out of luck.

"There were some reports of monsters that aren't centipedes, especially once you leave the mines and enter the older caves, but I haven't heard about any demons.

"There might be some left on the first level, but that other party might've gotten to most of them. The second level'll probably be infested; that's where they found that drow what brought the centipedes about, before. No telling what the third level's like.

"The creatures used to only venture out of the mine at night. That's why we installed the gate. But once you're down there, time of day doesn't much matter. You're welcome to have a nap in the lobby if you'd like."

shadowsedge
2013-11-13, 02:55 AM
Takarin

" I agree with Jamb. Lets have a rest and then clear first and second levels."

Doc Kraken
2013-11-14, 12:32 AM
Boznit

"Works for me." Boznit mutters, picking at a hangnail. "The longer I stay out here, the longer I keep everything attached." He heaves a sigh and kicks at a stone before looking up at the mongrelman.

"You have problems like this a lot, old-timer?"

nersxe
2013-11-14, 12:34 AM
Raziel

Raziel watches his companions speak with the mongrelman, much more at peace than he was just after the rose bushes. He watches them closely, trying to figure out what means what in Common.

Malimar
2013-11-14, 09:01 PM
DM
The old mongrelman shakes his head to Boznit, "Until we hit the old tunnels and that drow moved in with his hordes of vermin, we'd never had any problems. We expected the centipedes to go away after they executed the drow, but they're sticking around. If the remainder were cleared out, we could probably seal off the old tunnel and the mines would be safe again.

"Speaking of that drow: they found his lair on the second level. Might still be something in there, hatching more monsters."

Doc Kraken
2013-11-14, 09:32 PM
Boznit

"Hmm." The goblin rubs his chin. "Might be something to check out, so long as we aren't getting too deep. Bigger bugs make a more satisfying squish."

And the sort of lunatics that breed giant centipedes tend to not keep track of all sorts of shiny valuables... He thinks to himself before glancing back at Raziel and letting off a rapid-fire stream of Draconic.

"Looks like we're taking a rest here before heading in. The second level's supposed to be overrun with these centipedes, and the first one's not all that far behind. The old guy says he hasn't heard of any demons, per se, but there's nastier stuff farther in. Should be a cakewalk if we stick to the top two floors."

Aldhissla
2013-11-14, 09:40 PM
Agam

It only just now dawns on the energetic gargun that they are descending into underground passages like those below his homeland, and he appears all the more enthused about the adventure at this point. He rises up to his full and proper height, dusting his knuckles off and looking around the mine with his ever-present curiosity. As he speaks, he watches the flow of miners passing around back and counts their heads, likening them to a line of ducks he had witnessed shortly after descending into the lower lands.

"Think we reach second level soon? Bet we find gath centipedes down there... How many we need, anyway?" He looks from one, to another, to another, forgetting who it was to suggest this particular quest to all of them.

Falco1029
2013-11-14, 10:16 PM
Zanaver moves to tie his horse up somewhere nearby as it's mentioned that they'll be resting first. Something he's not going to argue about.

"We need as many as we can carry. With you with us, that should be a lot," he says with a smirk, "That is, we're being paid for each one, I believe."

nersxe
2013-11-15, 01:15 PM

Raziel nods his thanks for Boznit's explanation, then holds a hand to his belt. He takes the last sphere of energy, and holds it up in one hand, looking to his companions.

"Does anyone require their wounds mended?" He asks, hoping that his body language will transcend the barrier of language.

Malimar
2013-11-15, 09:43 PM
DM
And so it is that Raziel mends the wounds of anybody who needs their wounds mended, and then the party files into the simple front lobby of the mine's surface building, where they have a brief 8-hour nap. (Everybody regains a hit point, a point of Takarin's constitution damage heals, and everybody feels rested and refreshed.)

When they again emerge from the building, the first thing they notice is some sort of commotion at the entrance to the mine itself, around back of the main building! Several mongrelfolk are keeping their distance from the entrance...

http://www.newalmaden.org/AQSPark/SanCristobalEntrance_9-13-97.JPG

...and there is a faint hissing from within.

shadowsedge
2013-11-16, 07:24 AM
Takarin

Takarin arms himself with shield and javelin and goes into position 40feet from the entrance.

He shouts to the mongrelfolk: "What is it? What have you seen?"

shadowsedge
2013-11-16, 07:31 AM
Takarin

Ready Action: Trow Javelin, in Case some kind of Monster comes out of the mine and gets into 30feet range

Falco1029
2013-11-16, 07:46 AM
Zanaver draws his shortbow upon hearing the commotion, heading in the same direction as takarin. He doesn't nock an arrow though, instead keeping a hand free in case a spell or two ends up being the better option, depending on whatever they're dealing with here.

"Yeah, what's going on? Thought I would've had some more time to get ready," he grumbles.

Aldhissla
2013-11-16, 09:20 AM
Agam

The gargun had enjoyed the stay in their meager lodgings immensely, and was reluctant to fit back out through the doorway once more. He squints around in the (... evening? Nighttime?) for a moment before settling on the mine's entrance and everyone standing in alarm close by to it. Seeing his companions already setting up a firing line in front of it, he shoulders out in front of them and drops into a squat, out from which he holds his longspear at the ready. He snorts a breath in response to the hissing, trying to make out whether it is natural or artificial.

Listen Check to figure out more about the hissing, if applicable.

Will probably commit to a Readied Action to attack against movement into range and/or a charge attack.

Once everyone's initiative is actually sorted out, of course.

zlefin
2013-11-16, 02:06 PM
Jamb

Jamb gets up and yawns after the nice long rest.
He comes out the door a bit groggily and just barely manages to notice that there is a commotion. He straightens up a bit and looks to see what's actually happening.

nersxe
2013-11-16, 07:23 PM
Raziel

Raziel readies his maul, standing at the forefront of the party.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-16, 08:18 PM
Boznit

At the first sound of trouble, Boznit draws his crossbows, ducking back behind Raziel and Agam. He keeps his eyes on the mine, trying to spot anything lurking in the darkness before it can surprise them.

Malimar
2013-11-18, 11:53 AM
DM
It is nighttime, but the scene is lit by various lanterns hung on the building and carried by the miners.

One of the mongrelfolk shouts back to Takarin and Zanaver, "Centipedes!" Alarming, but presumably not surprising.

Agam hears what he's pretty sure is consistent with, yes, centipedes. Big centipedes, but probably not as big as he might have been led to expect. Perhaps the size of small dogs. He delays until he sees a centipede or his turn comes 'round again, whichever is first!

Takarin readies a javelin!

Raziel stands between the party and the mine entrance, readying his maul!

Jamb doesn't see anything quite yet!

Boznit draws his crossbows and steps back!

It is at this point that the centipedes make their appearance! They come boiling out of the mine with nice timing, all legs and carapaces and gnashing toxignaths, each the size of a small dog or big cat! (Which is to say, Tiny.)

Takarin chucks his javelin, impaling one of the centipedes straight through the middle! It twitches and dies.

Agam steps back into the initiative, charging the nearest centipede, but the little creature skitters away from his spear at the last moment!

Zanaver draws his bow!

The miners back a little further away, giving the party space to do their thing.

,,,,,,,,,,,##
,p,,,,,,,,,,##
,,,,p,,,,,,,,#
,,p,,,,,,,,c,#.
,,,,,,,===*cccc=
,p,,,,=,,,,c,##
,,,p,=,,,,,,,#
,p,,=,,,,A,,##
p,,=,,,,,,,##
,,=,,,,,,,,#
,=,,,,R,,,,#
=,,,,,,,,,,##
,,Z,J,T,,,,,#
,,,B,,,,,,,,#

, - grass
# - solid earth/rock
= - minecart rails
* - defeated foe
p - mongrelfolk miner
A - Agam
T - Takarin
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - Tiny monstrous centipede

nersxe
2013-11-18, 12:07 PM
Raziel

Raziel runs forward, lifting his maul and swinging it down as hard as he can toward the nearest centipede.

Move action: move forward. 50' move speed, so I'm pretty sure he can reach one.
Standard action: [roll0]
Confirm critical (if necessary): [roll2]
Critical damage: [roll3]

Other information: Raziel has both low-light and darkvision, so if he happens to see another centipede/mob, please inform. He also has +4 v poison, in case one of them gets him.

shadowsedge
2013-11-18, 04:47 PM
Takarin

Takarin draws his shortspear and moves 20 feet north.

Falco1029
2013-11-18, 05:11 PM
Zanaver takes the chance to fire an arrow at the centipedes before they get close enough to engage anyone, hoping to take advantage of a clear shot. He's not picky as to target, but he'll pick the one closest to the front and easiest for him to see.

Aldhissla
2013-11-18, 05:34 PM
Agam

The gargun was wholly unsuspecting of such a turnout. A single giant centipede or several larger ones, maybe. but not the wave of them that came hissing and skittering out from the mine's entrance. A specimen of that swarm was far harder to hit, as he demonstrated with his lunging blunder.

Agam retreats back a pace or two, flanking Raziel and using his spear's superior reach to strike at the centipedes as they come toward the man that seems content to be their meatshield for the time being.

"Goli, lenamaka nae. Keep your antlers up!"

Move Action to whichever square is Southwest of and adjacent to Raziel.

Standard Action to attack the nearest centipede (please no more 14s...)
[roll0]
[roll1]

He will also Attack of Opportunity as much as the laws abide.

zlefin
2013-11-18, 08:53 PM
Jamb

Jamb readies and goes forth into the battle. He suddenly realizes he's unsure how the bounty system works; and if they can get the bounty for the centipedes and still eat them, hoping he can still get free food out of this.
But he charges forth either way.

"Let's try and keep 'em from spreading out; hold the entrance."

swift action: change aura to energy shield.
2 move actions: move 60' to engage the line of centipedes, at the northernmost part of it that he can reach this turn, so as to better limit their ability to spill forth out of the tunnel.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-19, 12:17 AM
Boznit

"Now this," the goblin mutters, "is more like it."

He darts forward, cursing as he runs through the crowd of mongrelfolk. "What are you lot waiting for?" He shouts at the miners. "Get clear!"

Standard Action: Move up to the line Agam is currently occupying, onto the minecart railing.

Standard Action: He'll fire at the northernmost centipede (if it's already moved and there's one that has not, then he'll fire at the next furthest one that hasn't taken a turn yet or been engaged)

Attack #1: [roll0] (+5 ranged attack, -2 for dual-wielding hand crossbows, -2 for range increment)
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2] sneak attack damage (if applicable)

Attack #2: [roll3] (+5 ranged attack, -2 for dual-wielding hand crossbows, -2 for range increment)
Damage: [roll4]+[roll5] sneak attack damage (if applicable)

Malimar
2013-11-20, 01:33 PM
DM
Raziel zooms up, and splatters the nearest centipede into goo!

Jamb switches his auras, moves north, and threatens the centipedes from the north!

Boznit steps up and fires at the nearest one that Jamb hasn't yet engaged. He hits it, and it squelches! (Isn't shooting with two weapons still a full-round action?)

Takarin draws his spear and moves north!

The centipedes continue to boil forth! Two of them crawl on Jamb -- he tries to make an attack of opportunity, but misses them horribly. Two of them try to crawl on Raziel, but he and Agam smash them off of him. The two on Jamb try to bite him! Both of them bite through his armor, and are promptly fried by his energy shield aura. He takes 2 damage, but he shakes off the additional effects of the centipedes' poison (he also succeeds at both new saves a minute later, so he's fine other than the hp damage).

Agam and Zanaver don't even get to join the fight, those centipedes were so wussy.

The miners move even further back at Boznit's suggestion.

All the tiny centipedes are dead. That was bracing! You each gain 50XP.

When you enter the mines, the first room you find is an ore sorting room. In the dim light filtering in from outside, you see heaps of trash stone, some blood- and ichor-stains, and several narrow tunnels leading in various directions. (Brief exploration reveals that the southern passageway is a dead-end.) Obvious exits are north, northeast, northeast then southeast, and Dennis east. Anybody without darkvision will need a light source to continue any further, though.

. =
#.### ##=#
##...## ##=.#
##..#..####=.##
p,,,,,,,,,,,## ##...##..#.==###
,,,,,,,,,,,,,###..#.###.#=#.=.##
,,p,,,,,,,,,,,#..##.###.=.###=.#
p,,,,,,,,,,J,,#........=## =
,,,,,,,,===***:========##
p,,,,,,=,,,,*,##......##
,p,,,,=,,,,R,,###.....###
p,,,,B,,,,A,,## #.........
,,,,=,,T,,,,## #.....###
p,,=,,,,,,,,# #....##
,,=,,,,,,,,,# ##.###
,=,,,,,,,,,,## ###.#
=,,Z,,,,,,,,,# #...#
,,,,,,,,,,,,,# ##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

, - grass
# - solid earth/rock
= - minecart rails
: - iron gate (open)
* - defeated foe
p - mongrelfolk miner
A - Agam
T - Takarin
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - Tiny monstrous centipede

nersxe
2013-11-20, 01:44 PM
Raziel (All dialogue is in Draconic)

Raziel glances around to be sure the centipedes are well and truly gone, then down at the ichor on his maul. He finds a semi-clean patch of grass just outside the opening to the mine, and wipes off his weapon as best he can.

Returning to his group, Raziel says, "we should follow the tracks." He points to the mine-cart rails, to try emphasizing his point to those who don't speak that language. "We cannot get lost if we follow these."

Aldhissla
2013-11-20, 04:59 PM
Agam

The gargun blinks as the battle draws to a close, and then peers down at the vanquished vermin closely and curiously. He holds one of their bodies up in his palm and weighs it, before shrugging and turning toward the others to speak again.

"Split up, or carry all? Promise, will not eat. No good without cooking. Sour. Gath sour." He gestures to his own pack as he speaks, and then looks toward the miner bystanders to call bluntly. "Which way to go for backwards-climbing?" He tries to recall the right word, the concept of descending anything a bit difficult to express in his tongue.

When they are all settled into agreement (and he actually understands Raziel's gesticulations toward the mine carts and tracks,) he attempts to scrunch his unwieldy body up as much as it will go, which is surprisingly much, in order to make room for all in the narrow tunnels. He proceeds heedless of torchlight, wondering aloud what the others are bringing cooking fires for.

shadowsedge
2013-11-20, 05:47 PM
Takarin

Takarin agrees to follow the rails. He packs away his shield, takes out a torch, lights it and follows the others into the darkness.

Falco1029
2013-11-20, 07:10 PM
Zanaver, having good darkvision even for a Tiefling, doesn't bother wasting another torch right now, and moves to trail back and to the side a little as they head into the cave, to avoid the brighter sources of light.

"Agreed" he mentions as the deva points out the mine cart tracks, moving to head in that direction, bow still at the ready. "And you can carry them all if you're able" he tells the big guy, Agam.

zlefin
2013-11-20, 07:25 PM
Jamb

"We could just leave the corpses near here, why carry them into the mine just to carry them back out again for bounty? I'm going to need a light going into there. Should we leave someone guarding the entrance?

Jamb will put away his sling and prepare a torch for use in the mine (assuming the mine doesn't have its own lighting system).

Doc Kraken
2013-11-20, 11:42 PM
Boznit

"Best stick to a group." The goblin replies, grinning with left-over adrenaline and confidence as he reloads his crossbows. "This lot was easy...but it might be they get bigger further in. Besides, looks like the big fella's got a good grip on them."

He gives Agam a friendly pat on the elbow and, nodding at Raziel's plan, takes up a position at the head of the group - far enough away from the lights to make use of his darkvision, but close enough to leap back in case of trouble. He keeps a close watch for suspicious-looking sections of the mineworks, wary of further centipede ambushes or other lurking dangers.

Whoops, you're totally right about the two-weapon thing. Got all caught up in range modifiers and such. Good thing it splattered anyway!

Aldhissla
2013-11-21, 09:23 AM
Agam

The gargun collects all of the centipedes before entering, reasoning that one of the miners might get greedy of their loot and steal a body or two. He takes place further ahead than behind the rest of the group, but not as far out as Bozzie lurks. He also relinquishes grip on his spear, setting it upon his back and bringing both of his monstrous climbing claws to bear in the flickering torchlight of those tighter confines.

Hide and Move Silently Checks, respectively.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Also, are those centipedes about a pound each?

Malimar
2013-11-21, 02:11 PM
DM
Agam collects the corpses! Some of them are bigger, some smaller, but the tiny centipedes average out to about 4 pounds each.

The party cautiously heads deeper into the mines, following the rails! About 60' in, the rails split, northeast (then due east, downhill) and southeast (then east, then more southeast, and downhill). There's an indecipherable white chalk mark on the tunnel wall near the split.

To the south, one of the other tunnels from the entrance area meets up with a smallish open area, which appears to be empty.

Boznit and Takarin, with sharp ears, faintly hear more hissing, from the northwest.

###
######.#
? ....======
. ##=#####
#.# ###=.#
#.# #.=.##
#.### ##=###
##...## ##=.# ####
##..#..####A.## #..#
,,,,,,,## ##...##..#BJR### ##.#
,,,,,,,,###..#.###.#T#.=.## #..#
,,,,,,,,,#..##.###.=Z###=.# ##.##
,,,,,,,,,#........=## ##=####..#
,,,======:========## #.=====###
,,=,,,,,,##......## ###.####.=.#
,=,,,,,,,###.....######...# =
=,,,,,,,## #..............#
,,,,,,,## #.....######...##
,,,,,,,# #....## ###..##
,,,,,,,# ##.### ##..#
,,,,,,,## ###.# ..
,,,,,,,,# #...#
,,,,,,,,# ##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

, - grass
. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
* - defeated foe
A - Agam
T - Takarin
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
? - general location of probably more centipedes

shadowsedge
2013-11-21, 05:03 PM
Takarin

Takarin shouts a quick warning (just loud enough so all can hear him): " Attention! I hear something from northwest"
Then he adds in hushed voice: " I will place caltrops. Careful where you step!"

- 5 foot- step to the southwest (the field west of zanaver)
- free action: drop torch
- move action: get out caltrops
- standart action: place caltrops on the field northwest (the field that lies two fields west from his original position)

zlefin
2013-11-21, 07:49 PM
Jamb

Jamb, not having any good ideas of his own at the moment; will simply keep going with the group and following any plans provided.

Falco1029
2013-11-21, 08:06 PM
With the mention of one of them hearing hissing, Zanaver nods and readies his bow, looking in that direction.

"I say we go to the northeast after we take care of this," he murmurs.

Readied action - if a centipede comes into view and range of his vision/bow, he'll fire at it.

[roll0] if such a thing occurs
[roll1] if it hits

Doc Kraken
2013-11-21, 09:47 PM
Boznit

The goblin raises his bows at the first noise, murmuring a quiet warning in Draconic to Raziel as Takarin alerts the others.

"Look up ahead - see how the passage branches?" He hisses, pointing. "I'll wager it meets up with the northwest tunnel. Maybe we can surprise them, push them onto Takarin's caltrops?"

nersxe
2013-11-22, 02:00 PM
Raziel

Raziel nods, prepared to follow Boznit's lead. He would respond, but he knows all too well that angelic voices tend to project even when the bearers would have them quiet.

shadowsedge
2013-11-24, 02:13 AM
Takarin

In case one additional round passes before the enemy attacks, Takarin will set his shortspear against a charge.

Malimar
2013-11-25, 03:20 PM
DM
Boznit indicates where the tunnel splits up to the north, heading a little bit in that direction!

Jamb follows, preparing for centipede attack!

Agam chills where he is!

Zanaver readies an action!

Raziel also follows Boznit!

Takarin steps to the south, then distributes caltrops!

The centipedes, it's a fair bet, know you're here now. The hissing intensifies. From both directions! And suddenly, from both tunnels, just as Boznit predicted, a bunch of centipedes appear! Centipedes the size of regular-sized dogs or engineers, which is to say, Small-sized.

One moves into range of Jamb! Zanaver shoots at it, but his arrow bounces off the tunnel wall into the darkness. Then the centipede bites at Jamb, and just barely hits him. I believe his energy aura is still active, so it's a bit fried by acid, but not completely dead. It bites Jamb for 1 damage. It injects its venom, but he shakes it off, unaffected. (He also succeeds at his second save a minute from now.)

Another centipede comes at Takarin, flowing over his caltrops! It does appear to be damaged by the caltrops, its lower carapace scraping against a bunch of the things. (I'm going to invoke the "caltrops may not be effective against unusual opponents" line and say that the caltrops don't affect enough of the centipede's hundred little legs for the movement penalty to apply, though it still takes the point of damage.) Then the centipede bites at Takarin! It completely messes up the attack, but manages not to critically fumble.

The rest of the centipedes appear to have used up all their movement getting closeish to the party.

###
######.#
..c.c=====
. ##c#####
#.# ###c.#
#.# #BJ.##
#.### ##R###
##...## ##=.# ####
##..#c.####A.## #..#
##...##c.#.=.### ##.#
##..#.###ç#=#.=.## #..#
#..##.###.TZ###=.# ##.##
#........=## ##=####..#
:========## #.=====###
##......## ###.####.=.#
##.....######...# =
#..............#
#.....######...##
#....## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

, - grass
. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops
A - Agam
T - Takarin (standing over dropped torch)
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - Small centipede
ç - small centipede on caltrops

shadowsedge
2013-11-25, 04:14 PM
Takarin

move action: put on shield
Attack Action: stab shortspear at centipede

5-foot step to the west

Falco1029
2013-11-25, 09:14 PM
Zanaver tosses his vial of acid at the center centipede of the trio closest to him and Takarin, hoping to splash all three of the gritty things with it.

Splash weapons are effectively ranged touch in how they hit, right? Anyway:

[roll0]
[roll1] on hit, 1 damage to everyone within 5 feet, which ideally is only the other two centipedes.

With move action spent to get it out in the first place if needbe.

Aldhissla
2013-11-25, 10:33 PM
Agam

Agam, by virtue of completely spacing out the matter at hand in his attempt to press into the shadows and aid in their stealthy advance, finds himself totally unprepared until after the others are crammed into the tunnels at either side of him. He furrows his knobby brow for a moment, before moving in closer to the smaller southern group (and inadvertently breathing down Zanaver's neck as he does his own thing.) In the event that anything survives for him to get in range of it, he unsheathes his longspear once more.

Sorry about slopping that round. It was a mixture of not seeming to be able to do much and being entirely swamped out-of-game for a few days.

Agam is also trudging around with a medium load, now that I've done the math.

nersxe
2013-11-25, 10:49 PM
Raziel

Raziel steps past his comrade and into the space between the wall and the attacking centipede. He swings his maul as hard as he can, aiming for the meatiest part of the body.

Critical confirmation: [roll2]

zlefin
2013-11-25, 10:57 PM
Jamb

Jamb smiles at the coming exercise; this should last a bit unlike the last fight.

smash with mace!
[roll0]
[roll1]

Doc Kraken
2013-11-26, 12:37 AM
Boznit

"Told you," the goblin yelps as the centipedes stream forward, catching the group by surprise. He fires his crossbows into the darkness, hoping to give the vicious creatures enough pause for the larger members of the group to start smashing things...

This depends on whether or not I can see the second centipede charging down the north tunnel. If so, I'mma let it have it with the crossbows. If not, suppose I'll lurk back here, as there's really nowhere to go...

Full action: Fire both crossbows.
Attack #1: [roll0] (+5 ranged attack, -2 for dual-wielding hand crossbows)

Attack #2: [roll2] (+5 ranged attack, -2 for dual-wielding hand crossbows)
Damage: [roll3]

shadowsedge
2013-11-26, 06:03 PM
Takarin

Takarin shouts down the corridor: "Jamb! Move a few steps south, so we all are in range of your aura!"

By the way, if a centipede tries to move past Takarin, he will do an attack of opportynity:

Damage:[roll1]

Malimar
2013-12-02, 04:15 PM
DM
Agam draws his longspear and joins the group fending off centipedes to the south!

Boznit shoots twice, impaling one of the centipedes once! It twitches and curls up, unconscious.

Jamb swings his mace at the monstrous centipede, but puts a dent in the wall instead!

Raziel steps up (provoking an attack of opportunity from the centipede, which completely misses), and mauls the creature into a pulp. The centipede has been reduced to roughly the consistency of chunky salsa. It is quite dead. It is an ex-centipede.

Takarin straps on his shield, then stabs at the centipede! But alas, the centipede remains agile enough to get out of the way.

Zanaver chucks a flask of acid! He hits the middle centipede, which melts, and the two adjacent centipedes aren't looking too happy, either.

The centipede on the caltrops goes after Takarin! It misses, and then curls up in a twitching heap, having dropped to -1hp.

The last southern centipede heads towards Takarin, crawling over the caltrops, and taking damage from them. Then it, too, tries to bite Takarin... and it actually hits him! For 1 damage! He shrugs off the poison... for now! Then the centipede curls up and passes out. The acid+caltrops combo was effective this time!

The remaining centipedes swarm at Jamb and Raziel! Neither of them manage to bite their targets.

###
######.#
....======
. ##*#####
#.# ###cc#
#.# #BJR##
#.### ##=###
##...## ##=.# ####
##..#..####=.## #..#
##...##*.#.==### ##.#
##..#.###^#A#.=.## #..#
#..##.###.TZ###=.# ##.##
#........=## ##=####..#
##......## ###.####.=.#
##.....######...# =
#..............#
#.....######...##
#....## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops (also two dead centipedes)
A - Agam
T - Takarin (standing over dropped torch)
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - Small centipede

shadowsedge
2013-12-02, 05:10 PM
Takarin

Takarin turns to Zanaver "Nice throw. I think they are finished. Unless there are are some more lurking in the shadows. "

Then he drops his spear and places caltrops to the field left of him, just to be safe in case more enemies approach.

free action: drop shortspear
move action: get out bag of caltrops (second of 4)
standart action: lay caltrops

Falco1029
2013-12-02, 05:22 PM
He gives a nod to Takarin at the compliment, before starting to head northeast towards the others. He knows it's a bad idea to try shooting through the three of them though, but does take aim in case anyone gets out of the way

Readying action to shoot in case anyone gets out of the way so the centipedes don't have party members as cover.

[roll0]
[roll1]
EDIT: That first roll should be -1, not +, so subtract 2 from it. Unless they completely get out of melee somehow, or I get some other bonus.

zlefin
2013-12-02, 05:30 PM
Jamb

Jamb continues fighting!

[roll0]
[roll1]

nersxe
2013-12-02, 10:00 PM
Raziel

Not noticing the centipede's attempt at biting him, Raziel swings once more, twisting his body to get the most momentum out of his attack.

Critical confirmation: [roll2]

Doc Kraken
2013-12-03, 12:26 AM
Boznit

Seeing the two larger adventurers seem to have things under control, Boznit stows one of his crossbows and slaps a bolt back into the other one, pulling back the string. He wants to be ready just in case something leaps out at them.

Move action: Put away crossbow.

Move action: reload crossbow.

Aldhissla
2013-12-03, 01:53 PM
Agam

The gargun furrows his craggy brow, obviously miffed at this point by his own lack of input during their past three battles, if they could be called that.

"Better be more." He grunts in response to Takarin ahead of him as he tests jabbing downward with his spear over the heads of his companions in those narrow confines. He manages, but comes close.

Blah. Oh well!

If this particular fight isn't over yet, Standard Action to Ready a melee attack against anything that comes within 10' of Aggy.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Otherwise, he collects the dead centipedes and picks the caltrops out of them.

Malimar
2013-12-06, 02:48 PM
DM
Agam readies an action!

Boznit puts away one crossbow and reloads the other!

Jamb whams his weapon into the nearest remaining centipede, sending it curling up, twitching!

Raziel just barely manages to slam his weapon into the last remaining centipede, but hit it he does, and kills it to death.

Takarin distributes more caltrops!

Zanaver readies an action!

But, after a few more moments, it seems that the centipedes are vanquished! No more are forthcoming. Everyone gains 88 XP!

A minute later, Takarin takes 1 dexterity damage from the poison lingering in his bloodstream.

###
######.#
....======
. ##*#####
#.# ###**#
#.# #BJR##
#.### ##=###
##...## ##=.# ####
##..#..####=.## #..#
##...##*.#.==### ##.#
##..#.###^#A#.=.## #..#
#..##.###^TZ###=.# ##.##
#........=## ##=####..#
##......## ###.####.=.#
##.....######...# =
#..............#
#.....######...##
#....## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops
A - Agam
T - Takarin (standing over dropped torch and spear)
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - Small centipede

shadowsedge
2013-12-07, 03:58 AM
Takarin

Takarin picks up the caltrops, arms himself with torch and shortspear again, and gets ready to move on. "Okay, I am ready to go on. But lets stay a bit closer together the next time. "

zlefin
2013-12-07, 03:28 PM
Jamb

Jamb looks around; sees that no one looks injured enough to benefit from healing aura, and readies to move on in whatever direction is chosen by the group.

"Did we separate by that much? I thought we were still pretty close. Tighter formation is fine though. So, where to next?"

Falco1029
2013-12-07, 06:37 PM
"I think the Goblin and I," referring to Boznit with a lazy gesture, "should scout ahead. Obviously, clopping about as a big group and letting everything get drawn to us isn't the best plan ever," he points out.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-07, 11:45 PM
Boznit

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," The goblin says, putting his hands up. "Scouting is fine, I'm all for scouting, but let's not get carried away. Make sure we're in earshot of you lot, right?" Despite their easy victories so far, he hadn't forgotten that centipedes weren't the only things lurking in the tunnels...

Aldhissla
2013-12-08, 12:15 AM
Agam

"Kuthalam gailek, naua namamek thanea. Respect the width, but do not fear the height, small man. These ones will be close behind." The gargun offers the goblin a well-meaning but ill-advised pat after he muscles up toward the front of the remainder of the group.

nersxe
2013-12-08, 07:37 AM
Raziel

Raziel patiently waits for his companions to decide a course of action, watching them to see where his place is among them.

shadowsedge
2013-12-09, 03:44 AM
Takarin

"Zanaver is right. Let him and Boznit scout ahead, we will follow 20 feet behind. Jamb, be sure to stay close enough so that both of them are in range of your aura. Zanaver, take this bag of caltrops [hands over caltrops]. If you see or hear something, place the caltrops before you and signal to the group.
Ok, everyone ready? Lets go."

Falco1029
2013-12-09, 03:47 AM
Zanaver

"Works for me..." he says with a nod to boznit, then taking the caltrops, "But we might want a little more than 20 feet or so. We want to keep you guys out of sight but not out of hearing range," he adds.

shadowsedge
2013-12-09, 12:04 PM
Takarin

" Then we need some mode of non-verbal communication between the advance group and the rest of the team. That is, with someone who can see your gestures in the dark. Do I get it right that Raziel has Darkvision? Work out some simple sign- gestures with him, and then lets go. "

" Oh wait, if you want us out of sight, that does not work "

zlefin
2013-12-09, 03:19 PM
Jamb

Jamb will continue to act as directed with his usual placid smile on his face.

Aldhissla
2013-12-09, 03:39 PM
Agam

The gargun sits back on his toes slightly as he listens to the others speaking. His eyes slowly shift from side to side between the scouts and the people who are hanging back, looking like an impatient child for a moment. One claw idly fiddles with a segment of centipede severed in the last fight.

"We could run and catch up, couldn't we?"

Malimar
2013-12-10, 02:43 PM
DM
So the party collects the centipede corpses, and Boznit and Zanaver scout about 20' ahead, then!

It does looks to be the case that the two passages to the northwest connect up, in a little wide area whose north wall appears to be partially collapsed.

The party heads northeast! The minecart rails slope downwards, then, after almost 100ft, the tunnel branches again. To the east, the rails continue on, ending in an open area at some sort of big wooden apparatus -- perhaps a lift? To the south, the tunnel continues on into darkness, leaving the rails behind.

Perched on the lift apparatus, the scouts see... another centipede? This creature appears to be another tiny centipede, but instead of hissing and scuttling and swarming, it's just sitting serenely on the lift apparatus, gazing expectantly at the party with nine eyes in a human face.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/oa_gallery/Spirit_centipede.jpg

#### ##%%%#### ### ######
#..## ##,,,,,..######.############### ##....##
##..###..,........=================J######........
##...........###=#######..########TA===ZB==c+.##
##.###...#####=.# ##..# #R######..++..#
#.# ##### #.=.## ##.## #.# #......#
#.### ##=### #..# ##.# ##....##
##...## ##=.# #### ##.# ##..## ###.##
##..#..####=.## #..# ### #....## #.#
##...##..#.==### ##.# ##.##..### .
##..#.###.#=#.=.## #..# ###..###...##
#..##.###.=.###=.# ##.## #...## ###..#
#........=## ##=####..#
##......## ###.####.=.#
##.....######...# =
#..............#
#.....######...##
#....## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

. - rock ground
, - scattered rubble (difficult terrain)
% - thick rubble (impassable)
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
+ - lift
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops
A - Agam
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - centipede

Malimar
2013-12-10, 02:47 PM
DM
So the party collects the centipede corpses, and Boznit and Zanaver scout about 20' ahead, then!

It does looks to be the case that the two passages to the northwest connect up, in a little wide area whose north wall appears to be partially collapsed.

The party heads northeast! The minecart rails slope downwards, then, after almost 100ft, the tunnel branches again. To the east, the rails continue on, ending in an open area at some sort of big wooden apparatus -- perhaps a lift? To the south, the tunnel continues on into darkness, leaving the rails behind.

Perched on the lift apparatus, the scouts see... another centipede? This creature appears to be another tiny centipede, but instead of hissing and scuttling and swarming, it's just sitting serenely on the lift apparatus, gazing expectantly at the party with nine eyes in a human face.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/oa_gallery/Spirit_centipede.jpg

Raziel recognizes this creature as a spirit centipede, a benign creature sometimes sent by the Ancestor Spirits of Omorashi to punish the unjust. No telling what it's doing here in a mine infested by actual centipedes so far from the Omorashi Empire, though.

#..## ##,,,,,..######.############### ##....##
##..###..,........=================J######........
##...........###=#######..########TA===ZB==c+.##
##.###...#####=.# ##..# #R######..++..#
##..#..####=.## #..# ### #....## #.#
##...##..#.==### ##.# ##.##..### .
##..#.###.#=#.=.## #..# ###..###...##
#..##.###.=.###=.# ##.## #...## ###..#
#........=## ##=####..#
##......## ###.####.=.#
##.....######...# =
#..............#
#.....######...##
#....## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
+ - lift
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops
A - Agam
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - spirit centipede

nersxe
2013-12-10, 03:15 PM
Raziel Dialogue in Draconic

"Stop!" Raziel commands immediately, reaching out a hand to place on Agam's shoulder. "This is not an evil being, nor is it a beast. We should let it be."

Aldhissla
2013-12-10, 05:08 PM
Agam

The gargun was ready to react with disgust at the creature when they came into view of it, but after Raziel sets a hand upon his shoulder and reins him in, Agam looks at the thing with an expression of utterly blank, perturbed confusion. His head tilts to one side slowly as he counts the number of eyes on the creature, and he even brings two fingers up to stroke at his own upper lip where the centipede would have its luxurious and gravity-defying mustache.

"... What."

Falco1029
2013-12-10, 08:03 PM
Zanaver

He raises a brow at Razel, but doesn't seem particularly concerned with that fact. Still, he's not stupid enough to just attack, so he takes a step forward, eying the creature, "Can you talk, then?" he asks in an impatient sort of tone.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-10, 09:35 PM
Boznit

"T-too many eyes." The goblin stutters in broken Draconic, pointing at the centipede. "Too many eyes and too many legs. That ain't natural! You can have one or you can have the other, that's it! How much you want to bet this is connected somehow?"

zlefin
2013-12-11, 03:05 AM
Jamb

Jamb opens his eyes a bit at the sight of the thing.
"uhhhhhhhh. Hello there. I'm Jamb. What's your name?"

shadowsedge
2013-12-11, 06:11 AM
Takarin

Takarin waits for Boznit to translate what Raziel has to say about this creature. He takes care not to make any movements that may feel threatening to the creature, but he keeps a firm grip on his spear and stays weary, looking out for a possible attack from the creature or for anything that may approach from the rear.

nersxe
2013-12-11, 07:12 AM

"Please tell them it is a spirit centipede," Raziel requests, dropping his hand. "They are sent only to punish those who have erred."

Doc Kraken
2013-12-11, 02:45 PM
Boznit

"He says it's a spirit centipede. Some sort of celestial enforcer. He doesn't want us to kill it." The goblin translates, before looking suspiciously at Raziel. "Punish how, exactly?"

Malimar
2013-12-13, 06:08 PM
DM
The centipede creature blinks its many eyes, twitches its luxuriant moustachios, and introduces itself in Common in response to the party's inquiries: "I am called K-My." It squints its eyes, observing the party's weapons and the centipede ichor coating them. Adventurers! Centipede-slaying adventurers!

It does not appear inclined to do violence to the party. Eventually, it asks, "Tell me: is the way out clear of my mindless brethren?" For a celestial enforcer, the spirit centipede doesn't appear to be particularly intimidating.

(The apparatus of the lift looks broken, jammed, and stained with blood. The lift itself, no more than a flat platform tied to broken ropes, lies at the bottom of a 20' shaft.)

#..## ##,,,,,..######.############### ##....####
##..###..,........=================.######Z....... ..
##...........###=#######..########====RTJB=c+.####
##.###...#####=.# ##..# #.######A.++..#
##..#..####=.## #..# ### #....## ####.#
##...##..#.==### ##.# ##.##..####....#
##..#.###.#=#.=.## #..# ###..###...###..##
#..##.###.=.###=.# ##.## #...## ###..###.#
#........=## ##=####..# ..
##......## ###.####.=.#
##.....######...# =
#..............#
#.....######...##
#....## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
+ - broken lift
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops
A - Agam
T - Takarin
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - spirit centipede

shadowsedge
2013-12-13, 06:37 PM
Takarin

" We have killed all that we have encountered, but there could be more. I wouldn't bet anyones life on the path beeing clear. If you wish, we will escort you to the outside. Though on the outside, you may get killed by people who confuse you with your "mindless bethren".
But tell us, what are you doing here? My companion says you are some kind of celestial enforcer. Are you on some kind of mission? And can you tell us anything about what is going on here? "

Malimar
2013-12-13, 07:02 PM
DM
The creature considers Takarin's words. "Yes, an escort to the surface would be appreciated. As you say, the people who dig the ore from these walls are fearful folk, who might not distinguish one of my distinguished kind from the mindless ones.

"Your exalted companion is correct, but I am not on a mission now. There was a Voice here, and I was compelled to come when it called. But it has quieted now, so I seek to leave this place."

Aldhissla
2013-12-13, 07:30 PM
Agam

The gargun seems profoundly put-off by the creature's ability to speak, and remains silent and at the back of the group for a great portion of the conversation. It is less revulsion and more of an unpleasant awe, which slowly lessens as he comes to accept that this is just another unusual facet of the Material Plane. Still, he prefers the more familiar shapes of home. At last he speaks, curiosity piqued despite his judgments.

"What voice? What spirit speaks, that you hear it and answer from so far away?" He boggles at the notion, bringing to mind his adolescent memories of the old mountain shamans and their wild, wyrding ways.

Falco1029
2013-12-13, 09:22 PM
Zanaver

"We don't have time to just be escorting someone for free," he points out with a bit of a scowl to the others, before turning to the centipede spirit, "If you want help, you're going to need to do something for us. We're here for money, that's why we're hunting those creatures. If you can help us with that, one way or another, I'd be a bit more inclined," he claims.

zlefin
2013-12-14, 01:23 AM
Jamb

"It's not far back. I'd be happy to take you there, since we gotta clear this floor anyways."

Malimar
2013-12-14, 12:38 PM
DM
"I know not the nature of the Voice, only that I was compelled to follow." Possibly something to do with the drow druid that another party defeated, weeks ago.

The creature closes its nine eyes for a moment, considering Zanaver's proposition, and Jamb's counter-proposition. It replies, "The fiendish one has a point. It is only fair to exchange service for service. I have no wealth of my own, but I am able to put in a good word for you with the Ancestor Spirits. Also, I can tell you to search well in the cave fisher webs in the wide room to the south of here: they collected valuables, some of which the last group through here may have missed."

shadowsedge
2013-12-14, 01:25 PM
Takarin

" Then lets go. No use in further talking, I suppose. Boznit and Zanaver, scout ahead."

nersxe
2013-12-14, 01:35 PM
Raziel

If he knew the direction the conversation was taking, Raziel would be pleased. As it is, he sees the people around him preparing to go, spirit centipede included, and smiles. He nods his head to the centipede, and prepares to follow his companions out.

Falco1029
2013-12-14, 06:14 PM
Zanaver

"That's acceptable," he says to the spirit centipede, getting ready to start leading it out. Takarin gets a bit of a scowl, though, "I know what we're doing. You don't need to tell me what to do. Ever," he warns, before moving ahead.

Malimar
2013-12-14, 07:10 PM
DM
And lo, the party, spirit centipede in tow, heads back the way they came! Luckily, they encounter no creatures on the way out, other than six mongrelfolk miners in the ore sorting room just inside the mine. The miners look askance at the bizarre centipede monster. One of them raises a finger to ask a question, then decides he's probably better off not knowing the answer.

##..###..,........=================.######........ ..
##...........###=#######..########=========++.####
##.###...#####=.# ##..# #.######..++..#
:=BZAJTRc## #.=====###
##......## ###.####.=.#
##p...p######...# =
#..p.p.........#
#p....######...##
#...p## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####

. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
+ - broken lift
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops
A - Agam
T - Takarin
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit
Z - Zanaver
c - spirit centipede
p - mongrelfolk miner

nersxe
2013-12-14, 07:19 PM

"Be well, friend," Raziel inclines his head to the spirit centipede, stepping up to the mine entrance to see him off.

Doc Kraken
2013-12-14, 11:02 PM
Boznit

"Trust me, mate." The goblin sighs at the mongrelfolk's expression. "You don't wanna ask. As a professional weirdness expert, this is pretty weird. Got a drink? I need a drink." He still wasn't entirely over the oddly mustached...thing.

Aldhissla
2013-12-15, 02:32 PM
Agam

Before the bizarre creature departs, the gargun peers up over the shoulders of his fellows and speaks again, with a brief moment of exuberance. "Tell spirits that the Children ken-Maka honor them! They seek tall lives and distant ends." He beats a few knuckles against his chest for emphasis.

Falco1029
2013-12-15, 06:39 PM
Zanaver

He's fairly quiet for most of the way back, scouting ahead as needed but otherwise just happy to get the spirit thing out of their care.

zlefin
2013-12-16, 02:32 AM
Jamb

Jamb keeps smiling amiably as they escort the strange dude. He starts humming.

Malimar
2013-12-16, 04:15 PM
DM
The spirit centipede does a little bow of its head to each of the party as it passes the party and escapes into the light of the surface!

Then it's back into the mines! Obvious avenues for exploration are south, south following the rails, south, south, south, east, or down the lift shaft!

##..###..,........=================.######........ ..
##...........###=#######..########=========++.####
##.###...#####=.# ##..# #.######..++..#
:=BZAJTR=## #.=====###
##......## ###.####.=.#
##p...p######...# =
#..p.p.........#
#p....######...##
#...p## ###..##
##.### ##..#
###.# ..
#...#
##..##
##..###
##...#
###.##
#..#
####
. - rock ground
# - rock wall
= - minecart rails
+ - broken lift
* - defeated foe
^ - caltrops
A - Agam
T - Takarin
R - Raziel
J - Jamb
B - Boznit