PDA

View Full Version : Playing as gods

Vamphyr
2013-10-19, 09:54 PM
Hello all!

I was curious if there were any good RPGs for playing as deities?

I know you can build gods through 3.5 or Scion, but is as looking for something a bit more specific to building your church/resources and gathering followers.

I've seen a couple of games on these forums based around it, but I can't find them and I'm not sure what system they were using.

Even if it's a homemade rules set you've thrown together I would love to hear about it!

Benthesquid
2013-10-19, 09:58 PM
Dawn of Worlds is a worldbuilding game in which you take the role of one of the creators of a world, region, whatever.

It is available in PDF here (http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/rpg/Dawn_of_Worlds_game_1_0Final.pdf). However, it does not have any mechanics for direct conflict between the various players- the most you can do is wipe out or subvert the other players' creations, or send your own creations to do the same.

Vamphyr
2013-10-19, 11:26 PM
This is perfect! Thank you!

RochtheCrusher
2013-10-19, 11:30 PM
Pantheon, on the other hand, DOES have a mechanic for direct competition.

Here's a link to the only game I've listened to in the system.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2010/12/genre/fantasy/pantheon-the-game-of-gods/

The game seems pretty quick (relatively speaking), is very narratively driven, sounds simple... it seems to do all the things I'd want in my deity-level games.

It's worth a listen if you've got an hour or two.

AMFV
2013-10-20, 12:00 AM
It might be difficult to adapt D&D rules to it, as once you're a deity most challenges would involves handwavy type things and more rules debate. However it would certainly be possible to homebrew a D20 system for this.

What sort of deities are you talking? Like Norse level, or like Grecian type, I mean there's a wide spectrum in terms of power level and pantheons and such. Amassing followers is clearly important, so I would include mechanics for that. Do you want the players to be directly interacting with their environment as Gods or acting through intermediaries?

Milo v3
2013-10-20, 12:31 AM
I've done a The Window (http://www.mimgames.com/window/rules/) game where the characters were gods before. But the simplicity of the game might not be to your tastes.

Vamphyr
2013-10-20, 12:34 AM
It might be difficult to adapt D&D rules to it, as once you're a deity most challenges would involves handwavy type things and more rules debate. However it would certainly be possible to homebrew a D20 system for this.

What sort of deities are you talking? Like Norse level, or like Grecian type, I mean there's a wide spectrum in terms of power level and pantheons and such. Amassing followers is clearly important, so I would include mechanics for that. Do you want the players to be directly interacting with their environment as Gods or acting through intermediaries?

I was thinking along the lines of Greek gods. They need worship to function effectively and would primarily work through avatars and high priests/priestesses but would be able to show up when they need to.

Like how Zeus would turn into random animals and trick people into having sex with him.

SURPRISE! Your kids a Minotaur.

erikun
2013-10-20, 12:34 AM
Exalted and Nobilis will allow you to play very high-powered characters, well beyond normal mortal people. I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind when you say gods or not, though.

NurseVincent
2013-10-20, 12:45 AM
RIFTS from palladium is a tough system to use, but it can be so over the top as far as power goes that a God / Godling / Demigod could be involved in some campaigns without being even the most powerful member of the party. I can remember one instance where an Atlantean with a few magic tattoos completely wiped the floor with an actual god.

If you like the Sci-Fi or post-apocalyptic setting it's a fun choice.

Vamphyr
2013-10-20, 12:45 AM
Exalted and Nobilis will allow you to play very high-powered characters, well beyond normal mortal people. I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind when you say gods or not, though.

I was thinking of a combination of world building and high powered characters. I could set up level 30 gestalt characters and go from there, but I'm looking for more of "creation myth" kind of feel.

Dawn of worlds seems to cover most of what I'm looking for in a very simple way.

runeghost
2013-10-20, 10:59 AM
The Primal Order (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Primal_Order) is definitely worth a read if you can find a copy. (Amazon usually has some used ones for sale.)

Gabe the Bard
2013-10-21, 11:59 PM
I've always wanted to try Dawn of Worlds but I've never had the chance. Although it always struck me more as a tool for world building than adventuring. I know pathfinder mythic hasn't been out for very long, but I wonder if anyone has had a chance to use it in a godlike campaign. You could possibly set up a group of Avatars using Dawn of Worlds and then segue into an adventuring campaign using PF Mythic, D&D Epic or similar rules.

Jay R
2013-10-22, 11:23 AM
In 1980, Yaquinto came out with Mythology, a board game in which the players are gods, manipulating heroes on the board to undertake quests for them.

The most delightful rule in the game was Hercules and the Special Bonehead Rule.