PDA

View Full Version : Traveler in the Infinite Night PrC (PEACH)

asnys
2013-10-19, 10:44 PM
TRAVELER IN THE INFINITE NIGHT

“My secret is simple: why bother to poison guard dogs, disable traps, sneak past sentries when I can just go around them?” -The Bookburner

There is another world, right next to ours. You can't see it. You can't touch it. You probably don't even know it is there. But it is – a monochrome world, a world of darkness, of shadow, parallel to our own. A world where the night never ends.
Few venture there. Things lurk in that endless abyss, things that hunger for those who foolishly bring light to their world. But if you can find your way to that dark place – and if you are quick enough and quiet enough to survive there – and if you are of a larcenous bent – then there are rewards aplenty. Even the most paranoid burgher is unlikely to lay traps on a line of approach through another world.
Travelers in the Infinite Night are magically-trained burglars who use the Plane of Shadow to bypass ordinary defenses against theft. They learn how to access the Shadowlands, survive them, and navigate them to make pinpoint entries into and exits from the most well-defended targets.

Note: Traveler in the Infinite Night is prepared using Realms of Chaos's version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189714) of the spellthief. Notes on converting to use the standard version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a) of Spellthief are included.

BECOMING A TRAVELER IN THE INFINITE NIGHT
Most Travelers begin as wizard/rogues, sorcerer/rogues, or spellthieves. The occasional trickster priest may also be found, but they are far less common. In all cases, they are primarily recruited from rogues who learn some magic to assist in their theft, rather than from spellcasters who have learned how to be sneaky.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Feats: Shadowland Trekker
Skills: Move Silently 12 ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 6 ranks.
Sneak Attack: +3d6 or Mystic Siphon: +3d4
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast a 3rd-level or higher spell with the [Darkness] or [Shadow] descriptors.
Special: Must have visited the Plane of Shadows for a cumulative time of at least 3 months, including at least one week in a single stretch.

Class Skills
The Traveler in the Infinite Night's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Rope (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|
Base Attack Bonus|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Shadow Shift 2/day|+1 level of existing class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Shadow Shift 3/day, Nightvision, Sneak Attack +1d6/Mystic Siphon +1d4|+1 level of existing class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+1|Shadow Shift 4/day, Light Sensitivity|+1 level of existing class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+1|Shadow Shift 5/day, Superior Nightvision, Sneak Attack +2d6/Mystic Siphon +2d4|+1 level of existing class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+1|Shadow Shift at will, Light Blindness, Sudden Shift|+1 level of existing class[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: Travelers in the Infinite Night gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new Traveler in the Infinite Night level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a member of that class would have gained.
Note: If you are using the standard version of the Spellthief, and the Traveler in the Infinite Night chooses to advance their Spellthief spellcasting, then she also increases the maximum level of spells she can steal and the total number of stolen spell levels she can have as if she had gained a level in the Spellthief class.
Shadow Shift (Sp): At 1st level, a Traveler in the Infinite Night gains the power to shift from the Material Plane into the Plane of Shadow or vice-versa as a spell-like ability twice per day. Unlike the spell shadow walk, there is no error in shifting from one plane to the other. They may bring up to one person they are touching with them. If the other person is unwilling, they may make a Will save as if this were a 3rd-level spell cast by a caster of the Traveler's hit dice to remain where they are.
The Plane of Shadow is coexistent with and parallel to the Material world, but does not reflect it precisely the way the Ethereal Plane does. Navigating to shift to the correct location requires a Knowledge (The Planes) check. How close they get to their desired reentry point is determined by how well they roll:

{table=head]Accuracy:|DC:

1d4x100 miles|Less than 10

1d4 miles|10

1d4x100 ft|20

1d4x10 ft|30

1d4 ft|50

1d4 inches|80 or more[/table]

The Traveler's bonus from Shadowland Trekker applies to this roll. In addition, Travelers in the Infinite Night gain a +2 competence bonus to these Knowledge (Planes) checks at 1st level. This bonus increases by +2 for every additional class level they take.
The Traveler must be familiar with the layout of the area they are trying to enter, at least from maps, or they cannot be more accuracte than 1d4x100 ft. The DC can be modified by circumstances:

{table=head]Circumstance|Modifier

Close Familiarity with Target|-10

Have Reentered at That Point Before|-20 (does not stack with close familiarity)

Target is Duplicated on Plane of Shadows|-20

Awkward Terrain|+10

Hurried Reentry|+10[/table]

If the Traveler would reenter within a solid object, they and any creatures with them are instead shunted 1d10x1,000 ft in a random horizontal direction from the reentry point. If this would still place them within a solid object, they are shunted to the nearest open space, but the strain renders them fatigued (no save).
At 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels, the Traveler gains an additional use of this ability per day. At 5th level they may use this ability at will.
Nightvision (Ex): A Traveler in the Infinite Night grows accustomed to darkness over time. At 2nd level they gain darkvision 60'. If they already had darkvision, their range is increased by 60'.
Sneak Attack (Ex)/Mystic Siphon (Su): A Traveler in the Infinite Night continues his training in traditional rogue skills. At 2nd and 4th level they gain an additional die of Sneak Attack damage. If they have the Mystic Siphon ability, they can instead gain additional dice of Mystic Siphon damage.
Light Sensitivity (Ex): There is a price to regularly exploiting the Plane of Shadows. Over time, as the Traveler's body becomes more attuned to the Shadowlands, they find it more difficult to deal with bright light. At 3rd level they gain the Light Sensitivity trait: they are automatically dazzled in bright light, such as if they are within the radius of a daylight spell, suffering a -1 penalty on attack rolls, Search checks, and Spot checks.
Superior Nightvision (Ex): At 4th level, a Traveler in the Infinite Night's nightvision is so keen it can even pierce magical darkness. They gain the ability to see through magical darkness with a range of 30'.
Light Blindness (Ex): At 5th level, in addition to being dazzled in bright sunlight, the Traveler is blinded for 1 round if exposed to bright light abruptly.
Sudden Shift: At 5th level, a Traveler in the Infinite Night may use their shadow shift ability as an immediate action. However, the sudden tearing of the fabric of reality deals 3d6 points of force damage to them and anyone with them and leaves them exhausted.

PLAYING A TRAVELER IN THE INFINITE NIGHT
“The rules are simple. Don't let them see you. Don't leave anything behind. Don't ever piss off anyone who can cast time stop. And if you aren't absolutely sure, run. Your life is worth more than some gold.” -The Bookburner

You are not about killing people. You can do that, if need be, but that's not your goal. Your goal is theft: get in, get what you want, and get out, preferably without anyone even knowing you are there. If someone has to die in the process, take them out before they have time to breathe. Stealth, subtlety, and silence are your tools; use them well.
Combat: Travelers in the Infinite Night fight only on their terms, striking with surprise and disappearing into the Plane of Shadow if the fight turns against them.

TRAVELERS IN THE INFINITE NIGHT IN THE WORLD
“I was in the library when it happened. She just appeared, right there. I shouted for help, and she disappeared again, pop! I've lost my appetite, I can't sleep at night. It just won't stop running through my head – what if she comes back?” -Gerhardt Schmidt, Burgher Second Rank, Guild of Mechanics

Travelers, when not operating on their own, are generally employed by those who need something impossible stolen. Their clients include wizards, priests, powerful merchants, and heads of states. In general, Travelers try to keep their clients unaware of the exact nature of their capabilities - some work through elaborate layers of proxies to reduce the risk of being identified.
Daily Life: Travelers, whatever their special abilities, are still thieves. As such, they spend most of their time either planning for a job, doing a job, or spending the haul from a job.
Notables: Among the select and very limited few who traverse the Plane of Shadows on a regular basis, stories circulate of a thief – dubbed in common parlance simply the Wanderer – who became trapped in the Shadowlands. The reasons vary from teller to teller – some say he stole from the wrong person and is afraid to return to the Material Plane; others that he became so attuned to the shadows he is physically unable to survive in the light; still others that he was the victim of a particularly unpleasant curse. But, whatever the reason, they say he can still be found wandering the dark wastes, training Shadow Filchers to purloin what he needs from the Material world – and that, for the right price, it is not impossible to persuade him to assist in a sufficiently interesting enterprise.
Organizations: Travelers in the Infinite Night are generally too rare to form their own, dedicated organizations (although there are rumors of an organized gang operating out of the interplanar city of Sigil). Mundane thieves' guilds generally have a love-hate relationship with Travelers. On the one hand, they have capabilities no other thief can match, creating unique moneymaking and revenge-getting opportunities. On the other hand, they have capabilities no other thief can match, which gives them an unacceptable amount of independence – there's not much the guild can do if a Traveler decides to quit, and takes the treasury with him.

NPC Reaction
Most NPCs are unaware that Travelers in the Infinite Night even exist. Of those who are aware, most regard them with deep caution and no small amount of paranoia. They can be useful tools – but also deadly enemies.

TRAVELERS IN THE INFINITE NIGHT IN THE GAME
Adaptation: It would not be difficult to replace the Plane of Shadow with any other coexistent plane, such as the Ethereal or the Astral, although in that case it might make sense to replace Nightvision and Light Sensitivity/Blindness with other powers.
Encounters: PCs would typically encounter Travelers in the Infinite Night by either being robbed by them or hiring them to rob someone else. Or, if circumstances take them to the Plane of Shadow, a Traveler would make an excellent guide, if he could be persuaded to take on a non-larcenous mission.

Sample Encounter
The victim of wizardly experimentation as a child, Anya – better known as “The Bookburner” – specialized for many years in the theft of wizards' spellbooks, a task she became extremely proficient in. She earned her nickname after an incident in which, running out of time and unable to determine which of several thousand magically warded books in a library was her prize, she torched the room to slow down pursuit before shifting back to the Shadowlands. Unfortunately, despite taking extravagant precautions to remain anonymous, her identity has started to leak after a former client took it upon himself to advertise on her behalf. Besides her vengeful actual victims, she's being credited with every unexplained theft of magic in the last twenty years, and is looking to get as far out of town as possible as fast as possible, preferably in the company of heavily-armed ruffians who look poorly on anyone picking on their hired help. In other words, if any PC's want to go exploring the Shadowlands, she would be happy to make them a magnificent deal for her services as a guide as long as they don't ask too many awkward questions.

EL 13:

Anya the Bookburner
Chaotic Neutral/Female/Dark Human/Spellthief-9, Traveler in the Infinite Night-4
Init +7, Senses: Listen +16, Spot +16, Darkvision 120', See Through Magical Darkness 30'
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elvish, Infernal
---------------------------------------------------------
AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 10 (+3 versus spells and spell-like abilities)
hp 61 (13d6+13 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +13, Will +7 (+3 versus spells and spell-like abilities)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Melee Dagger +9/+4 1d4+1
Ranged Light Crossbow +11 1d8
Base Atk +8, Grp +9
Combat Gear Bag of Marbles, 20 Crossbow Bolts, Ring of Minor Spell Storing (currently holds gaseous form), Wand of Invisibility (20 charges), Wand of Silence (18 charges)
Spell Slots 0th: 6; 1st: 6; 2nd: 5; 3rd: 4; 4th: 3; 5th: 1
Supernatural Abilities Detect Magic 12/day, Discover Spells, Hide in Plain Sight, Mystic Siphon +7d4, Shadow Shift 5/day, Steal Energy Resistance, Steal Spell-Like Abilities
Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 11, Cha 16
SQ Absorb Spell, Bypass Wards, Light Sensitivity, Resistance to Cold 10, Shadow Navigation, Spellgrace, Superior Low-Light Vision, Superior Nightvision, Trapfinding
Feats Darkstalker, Extra Spell (Dispel Magic), Improved Initiative, Master of Poisons, Mystic Replication (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14483252&postcount=3), Penumbral Bloodline, Shadowland Trekker, Subtle Siphon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14483252&postcount=3)
Flaws Vulnerable, Unnatural (-4 to Handle Animal and Ride, may not ride horses or other animals)
Skills Balance +8, Bluff +19, Disable Device +23, Hide +27 (+29 in darkness), Knowledge (Planes) +15 (+19 for Plane of Shadow, +29 for Shadow navigation), Move Silently +26, Open Lock +21, Search +26, Tumble +19, Use Magic Device +19
Possessions Black Bodysuit, Goggles of Minute Seeing, Heward's Handy Haversack (2x Acid, Adamantine Hacksaw, Crowbar, Flint and Steel, Glass Cutter, Grappling Hook with 100' of Silk Rope, Penumbral Compass, Potion of Gaseous Form, 2x Potion of Pass Without Trace, 2x Scroll of Knock, Scroll of See Invisibility, 20 days Trail Rations, Thieves' Tools -MW), Ring of Mind Shielding, Silent Shoes.

Note: If you are using the Wizards spellthief, replace Spellthief-9 with Sorcerer-6/Rogue-3/Spellthief-1 and the Extra Spell (Dispel Magic), Mystic Replication, and Subtle Siphon feats with Master Spellthief, Practiced Spellcaster, and Skill Focus (Knowledge (The Planes)).

asnys
2013-10-19, 10:46 PM
SHADOWLAND TREKKER FEAT
You are experienced in navigating and surviving the Plane of Shadows.
Prerequisites: Must have spent a cumulative time of at least a month on the Plane of Shadows.
Benefits: You receive a +4 bonus on Knowledge (The Planes) and Survival checks related to the Plane of Shadows, as well as a +2 bonus to Handle Animal and Wild Empathy checks for creatures native to the Shadowlands.

MUNDANE EQUIPMENT

Penumbral Compass (500 gp, ½ lb.): This small piece of precision clockwork helps in the calculations needed to accurately navigate the Plane of Shadows. It provides a +2 circumstance bonus to Knowledge (The Planes) checks to navigate, including checks for precise reentry using shadow shift.

asnys
2013-10-19, 10:50 PM
I would greatly appreciate comments and advice on this class. In particular:

Shadow Shift is a pretty powerful ability, intentionally. I'm a little worried I may have made it too powerful for the level when it would be obtained, in which case I should probably increase the prerequisites.

I considered dropping a level of casting progression. My thinking at the moment is that a primary caster is going to already lose five levels of casting taking Rogue to get the Sneak Attack prereq so there's no need to take more from them, but I'd appreciate your views.

Finally, I'm not at all sure about the DCs on navigation for shadow shift. The problem is there's such a huge difference between the sort of DC's an optimized character can obtain versus an unoptimized one.

Edit to Add: Also, I'm still not entirely happy with the name, if anyone has any suggestions...

Aldurin
2013-10-20, 07:51 AM
I like it, I've currently been on a Plane of Shadow binge with setting-building, and I may use this PrC in it.

I do think that some things should be cut back, as full casting, 3/4 base attack bonus AND sneak attack/mystic syphon progression is on the high side, especially when you factor what is essentially ethereal-but-better-in-some-ways at will. Cutting back on one of the main progressions might keep it in line. I'd recommend reducing it to 1/2 BAB since the playstyle emphasis is avoidance over violence, which also keeps it in line for characters not entering via spellthief.

Fluffwise the ability to plane shift between the material and shadow planes seems more like something that could be adapted as the Traveler slowly beginning to exist in both planes simultaneously to various degrees, such as how some ethereal creatures can interact with the material plane with magical influence. Maybe a name that signifies such an attunement with both planes would work if you don't like the current one.

asnys
2013-10-20, 12:58 PM
I like it, I've currently been on a Plane of Shadow binge with setting-building, and I may use this PrC in it.

I do think that some things should be cut back, as full casting, 3/4 base attack bonus AND sneak attack/mystic syphon progression is on the high side, especially when you factor what is essentially ethereal-but-better-in-some-ways at will. Cutting back on one of the main progressions might keep it in line. I'd recommend reducing it to 1/2 BAB since the playstyle emphasis is avoidance over violence, which also keeps it in line for characters not entering via spellthief.

I've dropped it to 1/2 BAB - fluffwise, they really shouldn't have any more, anyway.

I've thought about dropping a caster level as well - I see the class as being primarily for thieves who use magic rather than for wizards who are sneaky, if you get my drift. If I did drop a caster level it would probably be the first one. What do you think?

Fluffwise the ability to plane shift between the material and shadow planes seems more like something that could be adapted as the Traveler slowly beginning to exist in both planes simultaneously to various degrees, such as how some ethereal creatures can interact with the material plane with magical influence. Maybe a name that signifies such an attunement with both planes would work if you don't like the current one.

Hm. Let me think about it...

Thanks for your help!