PDA

View Full Version : Which Domains Should I take?

Yogibear41
2013-10-20, 12:41 AM
So in a campaign I am playing in I think I have decided to go cleric for my next level. I am currently warlock5/enlightened spirit 3. (not exactly the most powerful combo on the block) our party at the moment is me a rogue/fighter and a pyschic warrior/ardent generally pretty low optimized though the rogue does do a pretty fair amount of damage. Anyway for some roleplaying reasons as well as we have basically no healer other than my wand of lesser vigor, I have decided to move into cleric for probably 3 or so levels before moving over into the warlock/cleric dual prestige class. All that aside my choices for domains are limited to:

Good, Healing, Sun, Charm, Retribution, and Glory. And I'm not sure which I should take, I am leaning toward Good and Healing, with Retribution in there close behind. Healing sort of feels like a waste because I can spontaneously cast any of those spells anyway, but honestly one of the main reasons I am taking the class is to actually give the party some in combat healing in emergencies.

Also my Cha is only 10 so no turning shenanigans :smallfrown:

Lactantius
2013-10-20, 10:50 AM
Ask your DM if it is okay to tweak the healing domain so that it is a viable choice for a good cleric.

We houserules the healing domain that way:
Domain Power: all cure spells are automatically empowered, just as if the metamagic feat has been apllied, but without level increase.

Spells: 1 - lesser restoration, 2 - remove curse, 3 - restoration, 4 - neutralize poison, 5 - heal, 6 - cure serious wounds (mass), 7 - mass restoration, 8 - heal (mass), 9 - true resurrection

Some insights:
the domain power helps if you cast cure X. Since you can cast all cure spells spontaenously, those cure spells don't appear on the domain spell list (except level 6).
Instead, you get special healing and curing spells which are connected to the healing theme.
You can cast most of them earlier than a standard cleric, which is a good boost (especially heal at level 5).
You can also convert the healing domain spells spontaenously into cure X of the corresponding spell level if you have no need for the prepared healing domain spell.

Red Fel
2013-10-20, 11:02 AM
So in a campaign I am playing in I think I have decided to go cleric for my next level. I am currently warlock5/enlightened spirit 3. (not exactly the most powerful combo on the block) our party at the moment is me a rogue/fighter and a pyschic warrior/ardent generally pretty low optimized though the rogue does do a pretty fair amount of damage. Anyway for some roleplaying reasons as well as we have basically no healer other than my wand of lesser vigor, I have decided to move into cleric for probably 3 or so levels before moving over into the warlock/cleric dual prestige class. All that aside my choices for domains are limited to:

Good, Healing, Sun, Charm, Retribution, and Glory. And I'm not sure which I should take, I am leaning toward Good and Healing, with Retribution in there close behind. Healing sort of feels like a waste because I can spontaneously cast any of those spells anyway, but honestly one of the main reasons I am taking the class is to actually give the party some in combat healing in emergencies.

Also my Cha is only 10 so no turning shenanigans :smallfrown:

Well, two questions.

1: Do you plan on using Domain Devotion feats? That may influence your decision. Some Domains have a good power but a bad devotion, some have a good devotion but a bad power, and some are good either way; but it's something to consider and may influence your choice.

Note that even if your TU is rubbish, most of the Devotion feats grants you one free use per day; more if you spend TUs on them, but that one use can be sufficient in the right places.

2: Are you going pure caster? If so, I'd recommend the Cloistered Cleric variant, which - as a bonus - nets you Knowledge Domain, even if your deity doesn't ordinarily grant that one.