PDA

View Full Version : Stopping/Suppressing Programmed amnesia

Illven
2013-10-20, 01:40 AM
I have a character that has had Programmed Amnesia cast upon them in their backstory. To keep to RAW since it's an on-going effect I'd like to have a list of abilities that would suppress it, or stop it.

Suppress

Mind blank
Antimagic field
Antimagic ray

Remove

Dispel magic
Dis-junction
Greater Restoration
Wish
Iron heart Surge

I know a Mind blank would suppress the effects, and Dispel magic, Dis-junction, Greater restoration, and Wish would remove it, is there anything else?

Kane0
2013-10-20, 01:54 AM
Iron Heart Surge.

Some Psionic powers maybe?

Illven
2013-10-20, 01:59 AM
Iron Heart Surge.

Some Psionic powers maybe?

Iron heart surge would probably be needed to combine with Mind blank first. (Or some other method of suppressing the effect.) Otherwise I'm not sure most DM's would allow a character to use it on an effect that the character isn't aware exists.

TuggyNE
2013-10-20, 02:24 AM
Iron heart surge would probably be needed to combine with Mind blank first. (Or some other method of suppressing the effect.) Otherwise I'm not sure most DM's would allow a character to use it on an effect that the character isn't aware exists.

Just use command (http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=407). :smallamused:

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-20, 07:38 AM
Antimagic Field and Antimagic Ray will both suppress it.

This is why smart people use Mind Rape instead of Programmed Amnesia.

Karnith
2013-10-20, 07:44 AM
Dispel Magic and its ilk don't work on Programmed Amnesia (assuming Spell Compendium is the most recent version?), so you can take that off the list of ways to remove the effect.

Miracle can also be used to remove the spell's effect, per the spell description.

Illven
2013-10-20, 03:27 PM

Thank you.

Dispel Magic and its ilk don't work on Programmed Amnesia (assuming Spell Compendium is the most recent version?), so you can take that off the list of ways to remove the effect.

Miracle can also be used to remove the spell's effect, per the spell description.

I can't find the info on when Complete arcana was released, it's probably before SC, but I'm not sure.

Karnith
2013-10-20, 03:50 PM
I can't find the info on when Complete arcana was released, it's probably before SC, but I'm not sure.
Spell Compendium is the more recent of the two (December 2005 compared to November 2004), and the version of Programmed Amnesia in SC cannot be dispelled.

Clistenes
2013-10-20, 04:14 PM

Question: Is Mind Rape still an Evil spell, or was that descriptor removed?

Tar Palantir
2013-10-20, 04:19 PM
Question: Is Mind Rape still an Evil spell, or was that descriptor removed?

It is, but arcane casters can cast evil spells without restriction regardless of their alignment; it's still an evil act, but so is casting Deathwatch.

Clistenes
2013-10-20, 04:24 PM
It is, but arcane casters can cast evil spells without restriction regardless of their alignment; it's still an evil act, but so is casting Deathwatch.

I have trouble understanding why casting Programmed Amnesia isn't an Evil act, but casting Mind Rape is. Programmed Amnesia is a bit easier to beat, but the effect is the same.

Is there any way to erase the memories of a character, with it being an Instantaneous effect, and that isn't an Evil act?

Pickford
2013-10-20, 09:58 PM
I have trouble understanding why casting Programmed Amnesia isn't an Evil act, but casting Mind Rape is. Programmed Amnesia is a bit easier to beat, but the effect is the same.

Is there any way to erase the memories of a character, with it being an Instantaneous effect, and that isn't an Evil act?

Perhaps it's mostly in the name and thematic understanding of the abilities. Also the programmed amnesia as described offers more options (and thus value).

Nettlekid
2013-10-20, 10:35 PM

A swift and heavy blow to the head. C'mon, it's a trope for a reason.

Psyren
2013-10-20, 11:17 PM
Disjunction can arguably remove it. PA cannot be dispelled, but while disjoining ends a spell like a dispel does, it is not itself a dispel.

Illven
2013-10-21, 12:44 AM
Disjunction can arguably remove it. PA cannot be dispelled, but while disjoining ends a spell like a dispel does, it is not itself a dispel.

So that one is up to an individual DM?

Clistenes
2013-10-21, 03:58 AM
If a character isn't allowed to cast Evil spells or doesn't want to cast Evil spells, would you allow him/her to cast Programmed Amnesia and use Wish or Miracle to make the effect Instantaneous instead of Permanent, effectively duplicating a Mind Rape?

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-21, 09:14 AM

No arguably about it. Disjunction strips it without any RAW fuzziness.

Psyren
2013-10-21, 09:37 AM
No arguably about it. Disjunction strips it without any RAW fuzziness.

That's indeed how I look at it, but I was hedging anyway.

Clistenes
2013-10-22, 02:53 AM

I've posted it at the Homebrew section: Memory Erasure (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16265351#post16265351). Do you think it's balanced?