PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering...

People Wonder
2013-10-20, 10:14 AM
So as a person that has been playing D&D for only about 3 years now, I can easily say that it would seem about 1 out of every 3 sessions falls kind of flat whenever I play. Also, almost as if through some sort of endless, brutal loop, it is more specifically every third session (so if you just had two good sessions you can expect the next one to be poor, and be pretty accurate).

I have played in two different groups in my first two years, and started a new one on my third year (amazingly none of them have conflicted so far...) and even when I am DM'ing i can call out when a session will be bad, even though I will still try my hardest.

So, now we get down to the true point in this entire article: What do you do when a session begins to fall flat?

When my sessions start to fall flat I call it out, and the rest of the group will respond with "at least the cat is out of the bag," and I will suggest we try to cut it short and pick up another day. Of course, as a group of friends that hangs out on a regular basis we always have something to do, usually being risk, settlers of catan, monopoly, or cards against humanity(all great games).

So, just out of curiosity I was wondering what your guys' rituals were for when a session falls flat, or if you just keep going and hope to pull something out of it.

Topus
2013-10-20, 10:37 AM
Maybe this discussion is better fitted into Roleplaying Games subforum.
Anyway, there are a lot of reasons for a session to fall flat. Different reasons need different countermoves.
Sometimes players are tired or stressed for work or study issues, and they are not in the mood for a mental demanding game like rpg, so boardgames and random friends chat works the best.
If the boredom is intertwined in the game plot I suggest to keep on going, how to keep on going it depends on the kind of players you are playing with. Arena fight for Khorne supporters, investigation for Sherlock-kind, relic hunting for Indiana Joneses, and so on.

inexorabletruth
2013-10-20, 03:52 PM
I agree with Topus... are the any specific things that cause the session to go flat?

People Wonder
2013-10-20, 08:32 PM
Specific things that make the session go flat? It's hard to think of one when there are so many answers to that question. I know that a few times when I have been DM'ing it would be because I was not feeling well, or I just had a band contest the night before and only got like 3 hours of sleep, and other times there will be a new character introduced and you can just tell the DM made up something corny and out of the way to introduce him, and sometimes it occurs because the DM just didn't prepare

That's not the point, the point is you can predict the third session will be poor due to some sort of varying reason. The question was not asking for help on this matter, but more of wondering if you guys feel that a pattern of some sort happens to you, and what you do about it.

Yet again, we are a close group of friends able to handle a session gone wrong and play some other game that will keep us entertained.

inexorabletruth
2013-10-20, 11:11 PM
The question was not asking for help on this matter, but more of wondering if you guys feel that a pattern of some sort happens to you, and what you do about it.

What I'd do about it would vary depend on what was the cause of the problem.

Games lull, but no I've never felt a pattern to it. Rather, the DM runs out of steam, or the players end up with scheduling conflicts. More often, it's the latter.

It sounds like you guys may have scheduling issues. The things you listed are health issues, sleeping schedules, or IRL obligations. Most of these problems will stem from scheduling issues. The way I solve scheduling issues is to run PbP campaigns, but meet up IRL once a week for a life session. It helps keep the campaign fresh without cutting too deeply into your schedule, but still affords time to hang out with your friends. And if you get the occasional we're-just-not-feeling-it-vibe, there's no need to force it. The game won't stagnate, because you'll be able to play everyday, so skip D&D that day and do something that sounds more fun.

Topus
2013-10-21, 04:11 AM
That's not the point, the point is you can predict the third session will be poor due to some sort of varying reason.
Oh, i misinterpreted your question.
Honestly i played for 15 years, mostly 2ED, and never found a pattern of boredom. Such a regularity is a symptom that maybe role playing games (or specifically D&D) are not the kind of game for you.
You have been playing for three years, that is not so much time, but probably enough to draw a conclusion about your attitude towards rpg.
Maybe it's not about rpg in general but you have problems with long campaigns and free roaming worlds, so you can switch to skirmish games or play short-term adventures.

Tylorious
2013-10-24, 12:57 PM
So, now we get down to the true point in this entire article: What do you do when a session begins to fall flat?

The question was not asking for help on this matter, but more of wondering if you guys feel that a pattern of some sort happens to you, and what you do about it.

I'm sorry....What?