PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rate these monsters?

Valwyn
2013-10-20, 12:08 PM
How hard would you say these monsters are to beat for a 4-man party? They will be facing them in this order:

Level 11 Neutral Evil Necromancer Human Lich

Str 10
Dex 12
Con 0
Int 20
Wis 12
Cha 12

BAB: +5
HP: 11d12

Fort: 3
Ref: 4
Will: 8

The lich is more interested in being left alone and keep researching than fighting, so he'll offer the party a deal. If a fight breaks, the party might get help form the lich's servants (which buys them a few rounds), but only if they agreed beforehand to help the servants be freed from the lich.

The lich is overconfident (or maybe just stupid) and won't go all out against the party, giving them the chance to take him by surprise and smash his phylactery.

Chaotic Evil Human Dire Werewolf Lord: Barbarian 6/ Frenzied Beserker 4/ Dire Wolf 6

Str 27
Dex 17
Con 26
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 10

BAB: +14/+9/+4
HP: 10d12+30 + 6d8+36 = 234

Fort: 17
Ref: 6
Will: 6

Bonus stuff: immune to poison and disease, fast healing 10/round

Extra weaknesses: make a a save every time he takes electric damage or be stunned for 1d2 rounds. DC = 10 + 1/2 attacker's BAB + Str/Dex/Wis/Ability used. Silver/Electric damage prevents fast healing that round.

This is the one I'm concerned the most since it's not an optional fight. He is meant to be a wall, but even with a few built in weaknesses, I'm affraid it might be too much.

Also, I'm not sure I applied the template correctly.

Lawful Evil Human Vampire Lord Monk 1/Sorcerer 6/Enlightned Fist 3

Str 22
Dex 21
Con 0
Int 18
Wis 14
Cha 26

BAB: +5
HP: 10d12+10
CL: 8

Fort: 13
Ref: 21
Will: 20

Extra weaknesses: fire, positive and divine damage.

This fight can be avoided if diplomacy (not necessarily the skill) is used, but I have a feeling the party might still try to fight him. I probably won't use all his lordly abilities but I'm still worried.

The party will be a fighter, a rogue, and a cleric NPCs and a PC (I think the term is a Sandbox). I'm still not sure what level's they'll be around, but they'll level up pretty fast and have powerful magic items (WBL? What's that?) to help them.

What do you think? Should I level down the encounters? Note that the monsters still haven't been given any magic items and have room for some feats.

Tvtyrant
2013-10-20, 12:13 PM
Your undead are going to be extremely fragile. 70ish HP for the lich, the same for the vampire lord, and even the werewolf only has 230. I have seen a party of level 3s one round kill 70 HP, and at level 5 the bruiser in the party could do it in a single hit.

Based on the spells the lich uses the battle will either be a cake walk or a PC will die, with not much room between them.

Valwyn
2013-10-20, 12:21 PM
You might be right. I'm new to DMing, so I'm not sure how tough they are. I do want the encounters to be winnable, so I might be padding things too much.

The lich will likely alternate between blasting and battlefield control. The lair might also have a few traps in the room where they'll fight.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-20, 12:33 PM
Give the undead the benefits of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present (+2 HP per HD). The Lich should probably have the feat Faerie Mysteries Initiate from Dragon 319, which will add his Int bonus to his HD as well.

The Lich should use Fell Drain Spell, Fell Frighten Spell, and have a Circlet of Rapid Casting. First round he casts a Fell Frighten Black Tentacles and uses the circlet to cast a Fell Drain Fell Frighten Kelgore's Grave Mist. Also his Intelligence is too low, the elite array is 25 point buy so he should have 18 base, +2 lich, +2 levels. His other stats can be Str 11, Dex 14, Wis 10, Cha 10 counting the Lich bonuses.

The Werewolf Lord can have four fewer Barbarian levels and four additional Frenzied Berserker levels, due to the BAB from his animal HD. However, I'd remove Frenzied Berserker completely as the Deathless Frenzy ability will make him unkillable for 11 round, which is more than enough time for him to wipe out an entire party. Or they can just cast Grease or Ice Slick or similar under him, and in a frenzy he automatically fails Dex-based skill checks including Balance and won't be able to move. They can just stand out of reach and wait for his frenzy to end, and he'll be a pushover. Just make him a Barbarian 10.

The Vampire should have two fewer Sorcerer levels and two more Enlightened Fist levels, and be sure to give him the feat Ascetic Mage. Also remember that while he can deal negative levels on an unarmed strike attack the same as a slam attack does, he can only do so once per round, so only his first hit each round deals negative levels. Consider just making him a normal vampire, but as a noble lord he would still be referred to with that title, though it would have no effect on game mechanics.

Feilith
2013-10-20, 12:34 PM
Any self respecting lich has his phylactery in a portable hole somewhere on his own plane that is a monstrous pain to find and destroy, so He might just get killed and resurrect a few days later mildly PO'd

The werewolf lord seems more like a wrecking ball, FB charging will backhand almost anyone if he wins initiative particularly if he has the right feats *cough*shock trooper*cough*. Also make the Save DC for that stun 10+electric damage done.

IDK about vampires sorry :smalltongue:

Also what lv is your Party? if this is all in one day then my guess would be they're 14-15 or so. If not you may want to tone it to their Party lv

Valwyn
2013-10-20, 01:26 PM
The Lich should use Fell Drain Spell, Fell Frighten Spell, and have a Circlet of Rapid Casting. First round he casts a Fell Frighten Black Tentacles and uses the circlet to cast a Fell Drain Fell Frighten Kelgore's Grave Mist. Also his Intelligence is too low, the elite array is 25 point buy so he should have 18 base, +2 lich, +2 levels. His other stats can be Str 11, Dex 14, Wis 10, Cha 10 counting the Lich bonuses.

I was planning on giving him a few Fell feats to place on Magic Missiles to debuff the party. I built him with a 32 point buy. His original stats at level 1 were (Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10). He had a decent Con score because he wasn't interested in lichdom until plot events (and he needed the Con to survive them), but maybe I just dump his Wis and Cha to pump his Int.

The Werewolf Lord can have four fewer Barbarian levels and four additional Frenzied Berserker levels, due to the BAB from his animal HD.

That's a good idea. Originally I had imagined he became a werewolf after he reached level 10.

However, I'd remove Frenzied Berserker completely as the Deathless Frenzy ability will make him unkillable for 11 round, which is more than enough time for him to wipe out an entire party.

That's sort of part of the plan. I'm thinking of nerfing Deathless Frenzy a bit.

The Vampire should have two fewer Sorcerer levels and two more Enlightened Fist levels, and be sure to give him the feat Ascetic Mage.

He needs those Sorcerer levels to qualify for Enlightned Fist (3rd level spells), and he does have Ascetic Mage.

Consider just making him a normal vampire, but as a noble lord he would still be referred to with that title, though it would have no effect on game mechanics.

That could work. I liked the idea of an actual vampire lord, but it might make things too difficult.

Any self respecting lich has his phylactery in a portable hole somewhere on his own plane that is a monstrous pain to find and destroy, so He might just get killed and resurrect a few days later mildly PO'd

Alas, this guy was never too bright. He's been isolated for about a century, so he was never too worried about the safety of his phylactery. He still built a secret room for it, though.

Also make the Save DC for that stun 10+electric damage done.

Electric weapons deal 1d6 damage and the werewolf has a Fort save of 17, so he only gets stunned on a natural 1. I guess I could put a wand of Lightningbolt or something at magicmart, though.

Also what lv is your Party? if this is all in one day then my guess would be they're 14-15 or so. If not you may want to tone it to their Party lv

Oh, no. The fights are in chronological order, but they won't fight them one after the other. They have to follow clues and track them down. I'm still not sure what levels they'll be. Around level 6 for the lich, level 9 for the werewolf, and level 12 for the vampire, I guess. These are estimates, I'll adjust the levels/strategies as needed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-20, 01:37 PM
He needs those Sorcerer levels to qualify for Enlightned Fist (3rd level spells), and he does have Ascetic Mage.

It requires Arcane Caster Level 3rd, not 3rd level spells. You can qualify as a Monk 4/ Sorcerer 1 with Practiced Spellcaster (but you shouldn't).

Valwyn
2013-10-20, 01:39 PM
It requires Arcane Caster Level 3rd, not 3rd level spells. You can qualify as a Monk 4/ Sorcerer 1 with Practiced Spellcaster (but you shouldn't).

How did I miss that? :smallsigh: Thanks for the tip. :smallsmile:

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-20, 01:41 PM
The Lich should probably have the feat Faerie Mysteries Initiate from Dragon 319, which will add his Int bonus to his HD as well.
The Lich doesn't qualify for FMI.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-20, 01:56 PM
The Lich doesn't qualify for FMI.

The prerequisites include three geographic regions which are not exclusive to any race. As long as he's from any of those three regions (or their equivalent in the current setting), he qualifies for the feat.

Captnq
2013-10-20, 02:52 PM
Okay.

I'm a lich necromancer. I have... fell drain and most likely black lore of moil.

I cast about five million ghoul glyphs around my cave. Each one does 1d6 negative damage and costs the target a level. If a fight breaks out, I just keep falling back over ghoul glyphs until they become Juju zombies.

I layer the ghoul glyphs with fang traps.

I put the ghoul glyphs/fang traps under multiple icicle spells.

If I was 13th level I'd cast stone trap and have the icicles hanging from underneath the floating invisible rocks.

Explosive runes over everything you might read. Sepia snake sigil inside the explosive runes.

Every door, book, cabinet, treasure chest, clasp on a pendant has fire trap with fell drain.

Glyph of warding lets me put vampiric touch in a triggered spell trap. That's going on top of every ghoul glyph/fang trap.

So, do I think a 11th level lich is dangerous? Given an infinite amount of time to layer his defenses they way a lich who wants to be left alone should layer his defenses? Can I get a "HELL YES!"?

Valwyn
2013-10-20, 06:59 PM
A wand of summon monster can deal with those traps, though. Or a scroll of AMF. Still, you point stands.

So, do I think a 11th level lich is dangerous? Given an infinite amount of time to layer his defenses they way a lich who wants to be left alone should layer his defenses? Can I get a "HELL YES!"?

You can get up to nine hells. :smalltongue:
You could get more, but that'd involve some major rearrangement of the multiverse.