PDA

View Full Version : Help diversify my Duskblade

yougi
2013-10-20, 02:20 PM
I'm playing a Duskblade in this campaign, and I was expecting to take a few levels of Warblade, then go JPM. However, I think I'm kind of taking the fun away from the rest of the group. One is a Barb4/Rog1, with Track and Weapon Focus as its feats, and going for Bear Warrior; one is a Cleric with a 17 Str, 14 Wis and 10 Con, with feats to focus on Turning when there's very little undead around;there's also a Sorceress who has no problem puling her own. Now, my character is a Duskblade 5, and I've been overshadowing the first two quite a lot in combat. Now, I'd like to take my next levels in things that would not necessarily improve my character's combat power, but would improve it's utility and, if possible, would buff others.

Here's the character:

Dwarf Dusk 5
Str 19/Dex 13/Con 20/Int 15/Wis 14/Cha 7
Feats: Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Versatile Spellcaster
Flaws: Meager Fortitude
Skills: Concentration maxed, rest in various knowledges
Alignment: CG
Patron God: Kord

Now, everything I think of doesn't work because of my low Cha: Binder, Bard, Marshall, Warlock,Dragon Shaman. I could go with a level of Cleric, but then I'd probably overshadow the already existing Cleric even more.

So what would you guys do? I'm looking for a class what would add options rather than power, and possibly help others shine.

PS: While DM says all books are allowed, I'd like to stay away from Incarnum, as neither of us has experience with that.

Red Fel
2013-10-20, 02:27 PM
I'm playing a Duskblade in this campaign, and I was expecting to take a few levels of Warblade, then go JPM. However, I think I'm kind of taking the fun away from the rest of the group. One is a Barb4/Rog1, with Track and Weapon Focus as its feats, and going for Bear Warrior; one is a Cleric with a 17 Str, 14 Wis and 10 Con, with feats to focus on Turning when there's very little undead around;there's also a Sorceress who has no problem puling her own. Now, my character is a Duskblade 5, and I've been overshadowing the first two quite a lot in combat. Now, I'd like to take my next levels in things that would not necessarily improve my character's combat power, but would improve it's utility and, if possible, would buff others.

Here's the character:

Dwarf Dusk 5
Str 19/Dex 13/Con 20/Int 15/Wis 14/Cha 7
Feats: Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Versatile Spellcaster
Flaws: Meager Fortitude
Skills: Concentration maxed, rest in various knowledges
Alignment: CG
Patron God: Kord

Now, everything I think of doesn't work because of my low Cha: Binder, Bard, Marshall, Warlock,Dragon Shaman. I could go with a level of Cleric, but then I'd probably overshadow the already existing Cleric even more.

So what would you guys do? I'm looking for a class what would add options rather than power, and possibly help others shine.

PS: While DM says all books are allowed, I'd like to stay away from Incarnum, as neither of us has experience with that.

I would go with your original objective of a Warblade dip, with a focus on White Raven. This would enable you to use maneuvers like White Raven Tactics to help the rest of the team shine. You could then use defensive options from other disciplines, like Iron Heart Surge and Diamond Mind's save-replacements (with your maxed Concentration, you'll basically make every saving throw ever). If you focus on tactical and defensive maneuvers, rather than offensive ones, you can supplement the party, rather than replacing them. And in doing so, you would still be giving yourself lots of exciting new options.

As a bonus, I should point out that if you focus on boosts and counters, you can initiate those alongside your spells and attacks, since they take swift and immediate actions, respectively. You won't be sacrificing any of your existing utility to add these options.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-20, 05:45 PM
Stay Duskblade until level 7 then hit up Divine Crusader? Dragonmark Heir? Really, this is a perfect opportunity to pick up one of those classes that you love the flavour of, but aren't all that great mechanics-wise.

Too bad you veto'd Incarnum - Incarnate was going to be my first suggestion.

yougi
2013-10-20, 09:06 PM
I would go with your original objective of a Warblade dip, with a focus on White Raven. This would enable you to use maneuvers like White Raven Tactics to help the rest of the team shine.
White Raven is a school I've used on so many characters in the past, I kind of got burnt out on it, which is why I didn't include it in my choices. Still, maybe as an aside it wouldn't be so bad. Hmmmmm...

You could then use defensive options from other disciplines, like Iron Heart Surge and Diamond Mind's save-replacements (with your maxed Concentration, you'll basically make every saving throw ever). If you focus on tactical and defensive maneuvers, rather than offensive ones, you can supplement the party, rather than replacing them. And in doing so, you would still be giving yourself lots of exciting new options.

As a bonus, I should point out that if you focus on boosts and counters, you can initiate those alongside your spells and attacks, since they take swift and immediate actions, respectively. You won't be sacrificing any of your existing utility to add these options.

Counters and boosts were indeed going to be my focus if I went Duskblade/Warblade (Duskwarblade? or Darwuskblade?).

Stay Duskblade until level 7 then hit up Divine Crusader? Dragonmark Heir? Really, this is a perfect opportunity to pick up one of those classes that you love the flavour of, but aren't all that great mechanics-wise.

Hmmmm, that's not a bad idea. Divine Crusader, in particular, could be pretty awesome.

Dusk 6/Warblade 1 (to switch Focus and Spec around)/Divine Crusader 9/anything 4

Oh poop. Divine Crusader casts off Charisma.

Hmmmm... Dusk 5/Cleric 3 / Geomancer 10/something else

That could rock pretty hard. Thanks Kuulv!

Too bad you veto'd Incarnum - Incarnate was going to be my first suggestion.

Yeah, but new DM, I don't want to overwhelm him.

CyberThread
2013-10-20, 09:13 PM
Well they say that you should invest in multiple things, when you want to diversify, so my idea is to take a look at the oil that the middle east is current producsing, and invest in a company called SandShaper, they do really good work with opening up the market for choices in what you want to use and invest in.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-20, 09:16 PM
The Duskblade spell list has True Strike, Rouse, and Color Spray, so take Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard) and work toward optimizing Inspire Courage.

CyberThread
2013-10-20, 09:18 PM
as a DM biff, what spells would you allow him to chose from that being "bard" allows him access to now.

Blackjackg
2013-10-20, 09:20 PM
I've never played one so I'm not quite sure, but could the Artificier fit the bill? It's an INT-based buffer and crafter, useful skills that could help the party without overshadowing them in combat.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-20, 09:30 PM
as a DM biff, what spells would you allow him to chose from that being "bard" allows him access to now.

I'd say any spell from the Bard list that's not on any other core spell list. But I mostly suggested it for him to use the bardic music to buff the other party members and make them more effective. He could get Inspirational Boost and Improvisation and just stick to learning Duskblade spells for the rest of his career and he would do fine.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-20, 09:39 PM
You could dip Spellthief, take Master Spellthief, and walk into Daggerspell Mage. It's incredibly far from optimal, but it's pretty cool.

I've never played one so I'm not quite sure, but could the Artificier fit the bill? It's an INT-based buffer and crafter, useful skills that could help the party without overshadowing them in combat.

Hell, if you're thinking that route, you could take Duskblade into Renegade Mastermaker, which basically turns you into a warforged over ten levels. Pretty cool, but not super-powerful.

CyberThread
2013-10-20, 09:49 PM
I am highly against that idea, as the two crafting feats would be roadkill for a duskblade.

You would need a 5th level artificer for the feats, and 7 levels for the duskblade so you can do spells and full attack , which leaves you a 13th level thing to take master maker, which you still can't finish off, leaving you 3 levels short from the full prc.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-20, 09:57 PM
I am highly against that idea, as the two crafting feats would be roadkill for a duskblade.

You would need a 5th level artificer for the feats, and 7 levels for the duskblade so you can do spells and full attack , which leaves you a 13th level thing to take master maker, which you still can't finish off, leaving you 3 levels short from the full prc.

You definitely don't need to take duskblade to 13. How often do you find yourself attacking multiple targets with a full attack?

Further, you can just take the feats to qualify. Craft Magic Arms and Armor isn't terrible for a duskblade (it has about the same amount of functionality for a duskblade as it does for any other 1 level = 1 CL class), and Craft Wondrous is a bit of a loss (but you can still use it and get your party mates to cast the spells for you when you craft, so it's not useless). You can pick up Craft Wondrous at 3rd, Craft Arms at 6th, get in Mastermaker at 7 and start beating the hell out of your opponents with taser fists.

gorfnab
2013-10-21, 04:35 PM
A little feat heavy on the prereqs (Cooperative Spell, Arcane Preparation, and one metamagic feat), 4 levels of Mage of the Arcane Order (CArc) would give a Duskblade a significant boost in versatility.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-21, 05:00 PM
A little Factotum never hurt an int-based character.

Mr Adventurer
2013-10-21, 06:08 PM
Go Crusader instead, focus on Devoted Spirit to protect, heal, and buff allies? You might still be able to get into JPM, even.