PDA

View Full Version : How would one update the Warrior Skald PrC to 3.5?

Coidzor
2013-10-20, 04:46 PM
I've seen it mentioned several times that one would pretty much have to update it rather than using it as-is under the grandfather clause for unupdated 3.0 content due to the very different bardic music mechanics involved. In a way rather like how the Oriental Adventures Shaman class has an animal companion class feature ala 3.0(which is to say, it as the spell animal friendship on its spell list, which got axed in the transition from 3.0 to 3.5), but since it wasn't addressed in the limited update to 3.5 it received, people just play it as identical to the update to the Druid's animal companion.

I've yet to see any examples of how people have done just that, or even suggestions for how to begin going about it. These two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301912)threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309930)got me wondering about it again though.

The only thing that comes to mind from what I remember offhand from the last time I read over the class in Races of Faerun would be to make it more along the lines of heartfire fanner and give it an effective bard level for purposes of bardic music uses and access and then progress that further with further levels of warrior skald.

SotF
2013-10-20, 10:03 PM
Personally, I'd just go with the archetype character rather than the PrC. The shifts in design between 3.0 & 3.5 kind of play merry havoc with a lot of them and there are a few variant options for a basic bard to build a more Skald type by going with a Savage Bard from UA, possibly with a few modifications.

Coidzor
2013-10-20, 11:39 PM
Personally, I'd just go with the archetype character rather than the PrC. The shifts in design between 3.0 & 3.5 kind of play merry havoc with a lot of them and there are a few variant options for a basic bard to build a more Skald type by going with a Savage Bard from UA, possibly with a few modifications.

That's probably the most direct solution to avoid the problem, sure.

CyberThread
2013-10-21, 12:11 AM
eh that sort of a cop out, not really a solution, so lets go take a look at the PRC , and hope we don't break any rules.

We have the usual stuff the class gets,chant of fear and the like, and the class getting all the bards songs as when the bard would get them.

Hmm, okay so we can't do that obviously, to much as the prc only has 10 levels, and bard songs go all the way up to level 20. So take the average of when a bard would get a song and divide it by 2. Then round up on any results.

So first level of Skald would get , Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1

2nd , inspire competence , words of rejuvination

3rd suggestion , demoralize

4th inspire courage +2

5th inspire greatness , marchers chant

6th inspire heroism

7th song of freedom , words of fear

8th inspire courage +3 inspire heroics

9th mass suggestion , words of panic

10th inspire courage +4 , words of fury

Now The class does benfit, from two strong saves, a full bab , but lacks in HD. So if you are feeling generous and you have a paladin of valor((that is the paladin with perform as a skill ) , give it some 7/10 casting. But make it conditional , for only subpar casting base classes, so you don't get some weasel throwing wizard or clerics into the mix.