PDA

View Full Version : Superpowers-based RPG in need of critique!

herodofcows
2013-10-20, 05:06 PM
I have, during my off hours at work, been messing around with creating a new set of RPG rules based off of the "superpowers" archetype. I've got a very broad-strokes ruleset more or less put together, and I've been test-running it with some friends with mixed-to-positive results. Still, I'd like to see what other people have to say/suggest.

This is my first foray into game design, so I realize that there are probably a lot of issues that I'm just not seeing or noticing. Any notes or critiques are more than welcome!

You'll probably notice that a lot of things are left to the GM's discretion. This is intentional. Still, if you see a glaring need for a system to be put in place for some superpower's rules or another, please say so! I'd be glad to hear any suggestions.

The premise is kinda Heroes-esque: a subset of humanity has spontaneously developed superpowers, and naturally there are a lot of private and government interests that would like to do something about that. Basically, this is an excuse to allow for the creation of characters with superpowers AND characters that are just very well trained and equipped.

Here's the link to download the current ruleset: http://www.scribd.com/doc/177609686/AlphaOmegaRulesv0-5

Thanks so much for your help! Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Alexkubel
2013-10-20, 06:09 PM
hang on, you said 'anti tank gun' but looking at It I can't help but feel, that isn't a gun that will paste someone against a wall almost every time. that good sir seem to me as an Anti tank Rifle, it's not nearly as big, and also not quite as deadly, still it's likely to cause severe harm.
if someone did use an actual AT gun, they'd either use APCR (armour piercing composite rounds, modern tanks also use uranium tipped), or HE the first will almost everytime kill the subject of the shot, the latter will scatter limbs or whole people. and will leave a paste on the wall. but beta density control could dodge this.

I like how the powers aren't stupidly powerful par se, they're reasonable.

I also like how there's the DSA in the mix. for those who don't like being super powered.

herodofcows
2013-10-20, 07:53 PM
Thanks for that! I'm not all that up on my conventional weaponry, so a lot of this is guesswork based off of movies. Anti-tank rifle feels a lot better anyway.

DedWards
2013-10-21, 12:22 PM
Just skimmed through what you've created and I like what I see, but I can't help but think that the theme of what you've done is basically what Mutants and Masterminds (http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/) was designed for.

herodofcows
2013-10-21, 01:31 PM
This will sound pathetic, but . . . I did not know that existed. I'll have to take a look! Thanks!

DedWards
2013-10-21, 05:10 PM
This will sound pathetic, but . . . I did not know that existed. I'll have to take a look! Thanks!

Just to be clear, I didn't point it out to stop you from making your system. I'd actually like to see a finished product of your system :p

herodofcows
2013-10-21, 09:17 PM
Well, thank you! I appreciate that. I only meant I'd look it over to see if any of the ideas therein grabbed me.