PDA

View Full Version : Spell combinations you find awesome!

Alberic Strein
2013-10-20, 05:43 PM
Spell combinations!

Because if there is one thing that is better than drenching a fiend in holy water with holy storm, that's having your trusty druid/UMD user calling lightning upon it and seeing his 3d6 become 3d10!

What combinations do you like to use/did you discover?

ryu
2013-10-20, 05:51 PM
Shape stone combined with wall of stone given a few days to prepare for a known fight. Let's just say those are really good, but fine normally. The DM wasn't expecting me to fortify the location to the degree that I did though. How well did I fortify? Arbitrarily large force of mundane orcs funneled in through the only entrances I made for the place. Each was only large enough for one orc to come in at a time, and short enough that they had to crawl prone. That was a LOT of readied coup de grace action.

limejuicepowder
2013-10-20, 05:58 PM
Shape stone combined with wall of stone given a few days to prepare for a known fight. Let's just say those are really good, but fine normally. The DM wasn't expecting me to fortify the location to the degree that I did though. How well did I fortify? Arbitrarily large force of mundane orcs funneled in through the only entrances I made for the place. Each was only large enough for one orc to come in at a time, and short enough that they had to crawl prone. That was a LOT of readied coup de grace action.

Why would the next orc crawl through, when he just saw his buddy get beheaded by someone waiting at the end of the tunnel? And wouldn't the bodies very quickly block it?

ryu
2013-10-20, 06:03 PM
Why would the next orc crawl through, when he just saw his buddy get beheaded by someone waiting at the end of the tunnel? And wouldn't the bodies very quickly block it?

They never see the other side of the wall, and they weren't fighting us just to fight us. They needed to overwhelm our position in order to have any chance against the coming army. They literally pushed dead comrades out of the way just for the slim chance of surviving now over an even slimmer chance later. The DM had already given this as a justification in advance after one of us questioned why we couldn't just intimidate them into leaving after killing some large group of them with a spell or two.

Krobar
2013-10-20, 06:26 PM
Aura of Terror and Adoration of the Frightful is a great combo.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-20, 06:29 PM
Charm Person + Hypnotism.

Charm Person makes the target treat you are friendly for all purposes. Hypnotism allows you to implant a command that the target forgets about but will always follow as if they were two steps friendlier than they were when the spell was cast. Two steps friendly than friendly is Fanatical.

Capture a person and with a few days of work you can have them so loaded down with hidden (and totally undetectable) compulsions that it is basically a poor mans Mind Rape. And its doable at level 1.

molten_dragon
2013-10-20, 06:31 PM
I've always loved Girallon's Blessing combined with Fuse Arms.

Story
2013-10-20, 06:35 PM
Web + fire spells
Web + Grave Mist

ryu
2013-10-20, 06:40 PM
Web + fire spells
Web + Grave Mist

Web + Black Tentacles + Freezing Fog + Maw of Chaos.

Higher level than I normally like, but it's such a fun way of saying no you are DEAD end of story to anything that isn't a high level spellcaster.

Alberic Strein
2013-10-20, 06:42 PM
Also, atop a stone bridge under which lies an endless planar abyss, an army was charging us.

I cast Holy Storm (yes, I love this spell) and the mage a silent image, which gives the impression that the bridge goes slightly left, while it doesn't.

The heavy rain from Holy Storm prevents the enemy from seeing the man in front of him falling before it's too late, and the sound of the storm covers their screams.

Honestly, that combination was worth WAAAAAAAAAAY more than 5 enemy deaths...

Zanos
2013-10-20, 06:56 PM
Solid Fog+Cloudkill against anything that isn't undead or a construct.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-20, 07:07 PM
Fabricate some stone into sculptures, Stone to Flesh said sculptures into corpses, and Animate Dead the corpses.
For the vegan necromancer.:smalltongue:

Alberic Strein
2013-10-20, 07:22 PM
Aura of Terror and Adoration of the Frightful is a great combo.

Step1 : DMM Persist Adoration of the Frightful
Step2 : Prepare Blade of Pain and Fear (DMM Persist if Nightstick stacking is allowed?)

Step3 : Go to town

Shaming Intimidatemancers with one level 3 and one level one spell since level 6.

eggynack
2013-10-20, 07:25 PM
Ultimate druidic first level spell BFC stacking. Entangle + impeding stones + wall of smoke + spore field.

limejuicepowder
2013-10-20, 07:27 PM
Charm Person + Hypnotism.

Charm Person makes the target treat you are friendly for all purposes. Hypnotism allows you to implant a command that the target forgets about but will always follow as if they were two steps friendlier than they were when the spell was cast. Two steps friendly than friendly is Fanatical.

Capture a person and with a few days of work you can have them so loaded down with hidden (and totally undetectable) compulsions that it is basically a poor mans Mind Rape. And its doable at level 1.

This is evil (awesome evil I mean), and reason number 17 why a changling beguiler is pretty much the most unstoppable force ever in an urban campaign.

molten_dragon
2013-10-20, 07:58 PM
Ultimate druidic first level spell BFC stacking. Entangle + impeding stones + wall of smoke + spore field.

Except he'd have to have a wisdom of 28 to pull that off at 1st level, which I suspect is impossible.

Hamste
2013-10-20, 08:03 PM
Create some stone statues quickly through sculpt stone and give them magical auras through the magic aura spell (may not be needed but the word choice suggest it is permanent duration not instantaneous). Give some weird warning carved quickly into stone warning of a basilisk or even a large group of them and a screaming statue right above it looking up in horror. If that doesn't scare them off they will most likely blindfold themselves so no matter how many basilisks there are they will be ready...that is when you pull out the ghost sound. If they don't blindfold themselves you pull out greater invisibility, persistent image and flesh to stone. Now they will look away the second they realize there is a basilisk nearby (by the sounds) this will keep them from interacting with the spell properly or using spells that usually pierce illusions. Meanwhile you are casting flesh to stone on all the casters who might be able to counter or realize that there is a spell going on (the basilisk should cut out the vocal component of your spell). Anyone who sees their friend turn to stone would attribute it to the basilisk and keep advancing on it.

eggynack
2013-10-20, 08:03 PM
Except he'd have to have a wisdom of 28 to pull that off at 1st level, which I suspect is impossible.
You misunderstand to some extent. This isn't a first level druid thing. It's a druidic first level spell thing. At higher levels, these spells don't diminish all that much in terms of what they do, so you can just kinda keep stacking them, and immobilize a ton of folks. At first level, I'd probably stick to one or two of the spells, entangle and/or impeding stones, and add more as the effective price of a first level spell reduces.

Irk
2013-10-20, 08:07 PM
celerity + arcane fusioning celerity and whatever spell, then repeat...

Story
2013-10-20, 08:08 PM
Obscuring Snow + Snowsight

Mount + Traveler's Mount - reenact the Pony Express, except better

jaydubs
2013-10-20, 08:09 PM
For low levels, Entangle + Summon Swarm. Spider and bat swarms are completely immune to weapon damage, so many low level enemies have no way to hurt them at all. And Summon Swarm has a duration of Concentration + 2 rounds, so you can keep it up all day long.

If you entangle a group (or find a way to lock them in somewhere), you can kill a near infinite amount of enemies with a single level 2 spell. Trap them, summon a swarm, and walk away.

Curmudgeon
2013-10-20, 10:18 PM
The point of Mirror Image is to fool observers. However, that spell doesn't work so well in specific settings, like when the spellcaster is riding a horse, climbing some narrow stairs, & c.; all those Images pantomiming horse-riding or stair-climbing in the air nearby tend to be ignored by your enemies.

The combination to take advantage of that disregard is when you add Levitate and then take a 5' "step" off to the side. Then the spellcaster can be the one pantomiming those actions in the air next to the horse, stairs, or whatever. :smallsmile:

gorfnab
2013-10-21, 12:30 AM
Revenance + Revivify

Silva Stormrage
2013-10-21, 12:55 AM
Web + Stinking Cloud is another web combo which is pretty good.

molten_dragon
2013-10-21, 06:16 AM
You misunderstand to some extent. This isn't a first level druid thing. It's a druidic first level spell thing. At higher levels, these spells don't diminish all that much in terms of what they do, so you can just kinda keep stacking them, and immobilize a ton of folks. At first level, I'd probably stick to one or two of the spells, entangle and/or impeding stones, and add more as the effective price of a first level spell reduces.

Ah, I gotcha. I misread the first level part as you were doing it at first level.

TuggyNE
2013-10-21, 07:10 AM
Ah, I gotcha. I misread the first level part as you were doing it at first level.

Thanks, TSR (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html)! :smallmad:

Necroticplague
2013-10-21, 10:38 AM
Illusory Wall+Shadow Conjuration:Wall of Stone+Wall of Stone.
Plus, Invisible varieties of all three.
Use it to build a ridiculously complicated maze for enemy, the combinations of which will surely send them into madness, as they try and figure which are visible false, invisible false (if they see invisible), visible semi-real (thus sometimes allowing passage), invisible semi-real, visible real, and invisible real.

Story
2013-10-21, 10:45 AM
Illusory Wall+Shadow Conjuration:Wall of Stone+Wall of Stone.
Plus, Invisible varieties of all three.
Use it to build a ridiculously complicated maze for enemy, the combinations of which will surely send them into madness, as they try and figure which are visible false, invisible false (if they see invisible), visible semi-real (thus sometimes allowing passage), invisible semi-real, visible real, and invisible real.

For extra fun, stick some invisible Prismatic Walls in there. That will really send them into madness, and possibly another plane.

Chronos
2013-10-21, 11:02 AM
Quoth Silva Stormrage:

Web + Stinking Cloud is another web combo which is pretty good.
Just what I was going to suggest: They can't do anything but move, and they can't do that, either. Except I was going to add that you follow up by summoning either a dretch (which is immune to poison) or an elemental (which doesn't breathe).

All one school, and available at 3rd level.

Psyren
2013-10-21, 12:02 PM
Can we do psionics too?

Vigor + Share Pain
Energy Wall + Energy Conversion (+Schism)
Solicit Psicrystal + Control Body
Remote Viewing + Retrieve
Schism + Hammer
Schism + Immovability
Quintessence/Time Hop + Psionic Revivify
Fusion/Metamorphosis + Astral Seed

Necroticplague
2013-10-21, 12:07 PM
For extra fun, stick some invisible Prismatic Walls in there. That will really send them into madness, and possibly another plane.
Why stick with just invisible ones? but some plainly visible ones around to induce paranoia, then have some of the illusory walls look like them....
just a shame there isn't a Shadow Abjuration.

JaronK
2013-10-21, 12:21 PM
Rain of Terror (rain down swarms of toads or snakes, of which half survive) + Persistent Consumptive Field (any creature dying near you gives you +2 Str and +1 CL, CL is capped at 50% your current CL). This gives you +50% to your caster level and as high a strength score as you want for the day, plus you just powered up with a rain of vermin.

Wall of Stone + Stone Metamorphosis + Unseen Crafter or Fabricate: Create a bunch of stone, turn it into Elukian Clay, and then shape it into whatever you want. Elukian Clay is basically metal that doesn't create any penalty to swim checks when used as armor, except it's listed as a type of stone. So you can create tons (literally) of armor or get really creative with things like Haunt Shift. Go nuts. Other possibilities include making Sickstone ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021228a ) or glowing stone or a bunch of other things... check out Underdark Handbook for options.

JaronK

Story
2013-10-21, 02:17 PM
Why stick with just invisible ones? but some plainly visible ones around to induce paranoia, then have some of the illusory walls look like them....
just a shame there isn't a Shadow Abjuration.

Because once it occurs to them that prismatic walls are there, they'll start being really cautious, sending summons, ten foot poles, etc everywhere they're going to walk.

When they aren't suspecting... (http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=541)

Silva Stormrage
2013-10-21, 02:24 PM
Can we do psionics too?

Vigor + Share Pain
Schism + Hammer
Schism + Immovability

Does Ego Whip + Ego Whip + Ego Whip count as a combo :smalltongue:

If not Ego Whip + Schism is pretty effective at knocking a low charisma opponent out of the fight without much of a chance to do much.

Segev
2013-10-21, 02:51 PM
Energy Transformation Field + Suggestion: "You have to stay here and keep casting spells in this area or the worst thing you can imagine will happen."

Norin
2013-10-21, 03:46 PM
Can we do psionics too?

Vigor + Share Pain
Schism + Hammer
Schism + Immovability

Muahaha, death urge + dejavu

Love that combo.

Psyren
2013-10-21, 03:50 PM
Muahaha, death urge + dejavu

Love that combo.

Oh yeah, forgot that one :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2013-10-21, 05:57 PM

I've considered metamorphosis+ astral seed before, but not Fusion+Seed.
That actually sounds like an interesting possibility. Best part is if your whole party was part of the fusion, then the body acts like a contingency for the whole group for the price of one: first person to die off gets to spend ten days as a crystal.

Story
2013-10-21, 06:13 PM
Beastland Ferocity + Delay Death, but that's too obvious.