PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Combat Ingenuity

A_S
2007-01-03, 12:24 PM
Combat Ingenuity [Fighter, General]
You are skilled in the use of the tools at hand to defeat your opposition.
Prerequisites: Int 13+, Base Attack +1
Benefit: The penalty for wielding an improvised weapon is reduced to -2. Furthermore, you are considered proficient in improvised weapons for the purpose of qualifying for weapon-specific feats (Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, etc.). If you take a weapon-specific feat in improvised weapons, its bonuses will apply to ALL improvised weapons (you need not, for example, specify "Weapon Focus (door).").
Normal: You take a -4 penalty to attacks when wielding an improvised weapon, and cannot apply weapon-specific feats to that weapon.

-----

Inspired by Thog's recent antics, not to mention this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1765796&postcount=68), I decided to make a slightly more serious version of a "thog improvise" feat.

Ideas? Balance suggestions? Should I keep the -2 penalty to attack, to make up for the feat's flexibility, or drop it?

Ultimatum479
2007-01-03, 12:30 PM
D'oh! I just posted a PrC somewhat built around Improvised Weapons, in the Chaotic Monks thread in this board. However, while it's fine with mechanics, I dunno if that feat really works in a roleplaying sense. Improvised weapons vary widely. Having Weapon Focus, or other feats, in one shouldn't necessarily apply to another. A door is a large bludgeoning club while a broken bottle is a small piercing/slashing dagger. Very different.

A_S
2007-01-03, 01:53 PM
True. I envisioned weapon-specific feats in improvised weapons as being less about learning the specific style associated with a weapon and more about just being good at using whatever was at hand. However, I can see that there's sort of a problem with using a homebrew feat to change the flavor of established feats like that...

Maybe just change the feat so that WF and such things don't apply to all improvised weapons, but to specific ones? So you really could have Weapon Focus (door)?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-03, 02:01 PM
I have a base class built around fighting unarmed and with improvised weapons around here somewhere too.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-03, 02:11 PM
Masters of the Wild have a Exotic Weapon Master, where they gain proficiency and focus with all exotic and improvised weapons. It's a barbarian PrC, since it requires Rage.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-03, 02:19 PM
Exotic Weapon Master got updated to 3.5 in Complete Warrior, and no longer requires rage.